Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Who's your 2022 MVP?
This poll is closed.
Shohei Ohtani 50 59.52%
Aaron Judge 19 22.62%
Hey, the national league has an MVP too you know! 15 17.86%
Total: 84 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

I don’t really care about Drellich or his book but fuckin’ lmao at Cora bragging to Red Sox people the next year “We stole that loving World Series”

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MrMidnight
Aug 3, 2006

He's trying to sell his book. Nothing much other than that.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Its a whole lot of noise but definitely don't trust the journalists who had bad relationships with the organization infamous for having bad relationships with journalists.

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

Is the claim here that Drellich made up that Cora quote to sell his book or…?

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

And we're gonna steal this one! (the point is I don't trust a word Drellich reports on the Astros, and it strains credulity that Cora would just openly say "we stole it" to an entire clubhouse)

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

In the piece it says Cora would tend to brag about it later into the night after a few drinks. He’s not strutting into the clubhouse at 10am making an announcement.

The bulk of that article is about Cora clashing with Hinch and nearly getting fired in late 2017, but saved by his relationship with the players.

I don’t care about Drellich’s book but if you want to say he made up the very funny Cora quote then just say it instead of trying to obliquely gesture at saying it.

bawfuls fucked around with this message at 19:42 on Feb 3, 2023

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

I got a taste for blown saves
I appreciate the Saturday morning cartoon villain blurting out the evil plan unprompted aspect of it

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

He must have real beef with Cora, he goes off on him in that piece

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=
The ol' Fake News defense

rickiep00h
Aug 16, 2010

BATDANCE

zoux posted:

Show that doc your SO's ankle and blow his freakin mind. (how'd they break it that bad)

Got the okay to share:

This was before they actually got in there to see what it would *actually* need. The plate is on the fib with four screws, and the tib has SIX screws in it, plus the ligature that's drilled through the ends of both to cinch them together so the joint actually works. That shard part of the fibula is still easily palpable.

So yeah, I'm pretty sure that doc was talking out his rear end. Spouse's doc said that, while theirs was a lot of hardware, it wasn't the worst he'd worked on, and it was likely to get *mostly* rehabbed. Spouse can skate again, but competitive derby is out probably.

Kevlar v2.0 posted:

My teammate couldn't stop in time when trying to get to a puck in the corner and went feet-first into the boards. He needed a metal plate and a bunch of screws to fix it. He showed me the initial x-ray of his ankle and his bones looked like a pile of broken glass. He was back playing hockey again in only like 8 months.

Hockey boots are nice in that the boot itself is basically impervious to damage and they keep the ankle very stable by design. Flat track roller derby skates put a ton of stress on the ankle and knee because of the flat footprint of the wheels. There are tons of ankle and knee injuries in derby. It's basically rugby on wheels, and two skaters are the ball.

BigDumper
Feb 15, 2008

I started watching some of the Caribbean Series on ESPN+ and the number of ads on these jerseys is hilarious. The Dominican team jersey is legitimately a billboard, I really hope MLB doesn’t turn into this with sponsored jerseys. One sponsor on the sleeve feels like the first step on a long road to the bottom.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

It hardly seems outlandish to believe that someone would boast about cheating and getting away with it especially when there were other incidents of the Astros publicly mocking people about it and it was clear it was a public secret to many. It doesn't make it true but I don't have a hard time believing Cora would say that when he got drunk.

Also like... seriously, didn't the Astros have an adversarial relationship with all the media at the time? Off the top of my head there were the reporters that rear end in a top hat yelled at, the subsequent ones who reported on that incident Crane called "fake news", the guy who Verlander banned from the clubhouse or something, and of course the dude who Fiers went to with the accusations. Again, doesn't make it true or anything more than more noise but it hardly seems like a disqualifying thing for someone covering the Astros to have had a bad relationship with the Astros.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

rickiep00h posted:

Got the okay to share:

This was before they actually got in there to see what it would *actually* need. The plate is on the fib with four screws, and the tib has SIX screws in it, plus the ligature that's drilled through the ends of both to cinch them together so the joint actually works. That shard part of the fibula is still easily palpable.

So yeah, I'm pretty sure that doc was talking out his rear end. Spouse's doc said that, while theirs was a lot of hardware, it wasn't the worst he'd worked on, and it was likely to get *mostly* rehabbed. Spouse can skate again, but competitive derby is out probably.

Hockey boots are nice in that the boot itself is basically impervious to damage and they keep the ankle very stable by design. Flat track roller derby skates put a ton of stress on the ankle and knee because of the flat footprint of the wheels. There are tons of ankle and knee injuries in derby. It's basically rugby on wheels, and two skaters are the ball.

MLB Thread Poster: "This is the worst ankle I've ever seen"

STAC Goat posted:

It hardly seems outlandish to believe that someone would boast about cheating and getting away with it especially when there were other incidents of the Astros publicly mocking people about it and it was clear it was a public secret to many. It doesn't make it true but I don't have a hard time believing Cora would say that when he got drunk.

Also like... seriously, didn't the Astros have an adversarial relationship with all the media at the time? Off the top of my head there were the reporters that rear end in a top hat yelled at, the subsequent ones who reported on that incident Crane called "fake news", the guy who Verlander banned from the clubhouse or something, and of course the dude who Fiers went to with the accusations. Again, doesn't make it true or anything more than more noise but it hardly seems like a disqualifying thing for someone covering the Astros to have had a bad relationship with the Astros.

Oh I'm sure it's all on the Astros, they were and are terrible with the media, Chandler Rome is always bitching about how closed off and secretive they are, seemingly for no reason. But it's still an immense conflict of interest, if you are a crime reporter and someone murders your wife, you aren't going to be allowed to cover it. Not your fault, but no one can be expected to be objective about an issue in which they have so much personal investment. I know that sports journalism has looser ethics than actual journalism but you'd think there was another reporter somewhere who could've put their byline on The Article

zoux fucked around with this message at 19:47 on Feb 3, 2023

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

rickiep00h posted:

Got the okay to share:

:stare:

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

What up partner-suffered-a-pilon-fracture-last-year buddy!

Can confirm the recovery is a very long and slow one. No weight bearing for 3 months was tough.

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

zoux posted:

Oh I'm sure it's all on the Astros, they were and are terrible with the media, Chandler Rome is always bitching about how closed off and secretive they are, seemingly for no reason. But it's still an immense conflict of interest, if you are a crime reporter and someone murders your wife, you aren't going to be allowed to cover it. Not your fault, but no one can be expected to be objective about an issue in which they have so much personal investment. I know that sports journalism has looser ethics than actual journalism but you'd think there was another reporter somewhere who could've put their byline on The Article
It is very common for a beat reporter who covered a team during a particular scandal or time period to then later write a more detailed book about that time, revealing more than they were able to discuss at the time.

I’ve never heard someone call this a conflict of interest before.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

The conflict of interest is that the Astros, or someone on behalf of the Astros, got him fired from his job. He had a legitimate personal grievance against the ballclub, I do not dispute it, anyone would. But journalists with legitimate personal grievances with a person or an organization should not cover that person or organization, as a matter of ethics.

e: I'm going off of "real" news ethics, I don't know how much more lax it is at the entertainment journalism level, but I'd be interested in the history of sportswriters who have been directly hosed by a team or player writing about that team or player, how often it happens, notable cases, etc.

zoux fucked around with this message at 20:11 on Feb 3, 2023

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Yeah, sports journalism of this type is all access journalism. So if you're writing a glowing bio you're gonna have a good relationship with the subject and if you're writing about bad stuff odds are you have a hostile relationship with at least some of the parties involved who don't want that poo poo out. Especially if they're known "fake news" yellers.

edit: I don't think there's actually established journalistic ethics against a reporter covering a story they have a personal stake in. Its not like a prosecutor or judge. I mean there might come a point where its counter productive and certainly there exists bad reporting but a lot of investigative journalism starts from a personal investment and all access journalism is just mining personal relationships or building them for the purpose of writing something.

STAC Goat fucked around with this message at 20:10 on Feb 3, 2023

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

zoux posted:

The conflict of interest is that the Astros, or someone on behalf of the Astros, got him fired from his job. He had a legitimate personal grievance against the ballclub, I do not dispute it, anyone would. But journalists with legitimate personal grievances with a person or an organization should not cover that person or organization, as a matter of ethics.

The other big claim I saw going around is he says that Red Sox players kicked money to TJ Watkins after he acted as the fall guy for the Red Sox and was suspposed to be on unpaid suspension which is quite an accusation to make, that one could actually force him to pony up some sources or face a lawsuit

e: obviously IANAL so maybe it wouldn't

e2:

zoux posted:

e: I'm going off of "real" news ethics, I don't know how much more lax it is at the entertainment journalism level, but I'd be interested in the history of sportswriters who have been directly hosed by a team or player writing about that team or player, how often it happens, notable cases, etc.

what real news ethics lol

you have newsmax guys trying to ask biden how many kilos of heroin he's personally muled for hunter or some poo poo

Intruder fucked around with this message at 20:14 on Feb 3, 2023

Tatsuta Age
Apr 21, 2005

so good at being in trouble

oh good more astros posters ballyhooing about how they're persecuted or something. Jesus Christ

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

STAC Goat posted:

Yeah, sports journalism of this type is all access journalism. So if you're writing a glowing bio you're gonna have a good relationship with the subject and if you're writing about bad stuff odds are you have a hostile relationship with at least some of the parties involved who don't want that poo poo out. Especially if they're known "fake news" yellers.

edit: I don't think there's actually established journalistic ethics against a reporter covering a story they have a personal stake in. Its not like a prosecutor or judge. I mean there might come a point where its counter productive and certainly there exists bad reporting but a lot of investigative journalism starts from a personal investment and all access journalism is just mining personal relationships or building them for the purpose of writing something.

As AM Rosenthal, EIC of the NYT in the seventies famously put it: "You can gently caress an elephant if you want, but you can't cover the circus."

https://twitter.com/RedSox/status/1621583282335879169

Anyone down for a little truck heist

zoux fucked around with this message at 20:16 on Feb 3, 2023

Paracaidas
Sep 24, 2016
Consistently Tedious!

zoux posted:

One weird trick to ensure only sycophants report on your team, journalists hate it!

zoux posted:

As AM Rosenthal, EIC of the NYT in the seventies famously put it: "You can gently caress an elephant if you want, but you can't cover the circus."
Bit more of "human cannonballers can beat your rear end if they want to, then you can't cover the circus" innit?

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.
It’s okay to put Zoux on ignore, his last week of posting has been full mask-off

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

what the gently caress are you talking about

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
Daily reminder that ignore is for cowards.

Honestly all the talk about whether Cora is a mustache-twirling idiot who brags about how he helped steal a WS to his buddies over drinks is irrelevant: we know he helped the Astros cheat and that Cora was one of the principle ringleaders in setting up the cheating system. None of that is in dispute.

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

Sydin posted:

Daily reminder that ignore is for cowards. just going to draw your attention to those posts which you will read anyway because of your insatiable curiosity

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

"LET'S GET DOWN TO WORK!!"

I feel called out

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Sydin posted:

Honestly all the talk about whether Cora is a mustache-twirling idiot who brags about how he helped steal a WS to his buddies over drinks is irrelevant: we know he helped the Astros cheat and that Cora was one of the principle ringleaders in setting up the cheating system. None of that is in dispute.

I’m not disputing it

BigDumper
Feb 15, 2008

Sydin posted:

It does further validate my decision to dislike the Red Sox for re-hiring him, though

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

Ignore is a method of self discipline.

You see a post marked as ignored and want to click. You are reminded that your past self decided this person is a moron who makes bad posts and it’s probably not worth reading.

You click anyway sometimes cause you’re a sicko with the true heart of a poster.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

zoux posted:

I’m not disputing it

I know you're not, which is my point: whether that journalist is lying or not kinda doesn't matter because whether he is or not it just sort of boils down to "does Cora brag about the cheating we already know he did" which... who cares? I guess it would be funny if he did brag?

I guess if he is just outright making poo poo up and is about to put out a big book on the cheating scandal then yeah it'd call into question whatever else he puts in there.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

Also it doesn't hide the posts of people on your ignore list if they're being quoted by users not on your ignore list so it's kinda useless unless everybody else in the thread is also ignoring - or at least not quoting - that poster.

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

I knew that tweet was gonna result in a round of denial and minimization from one of the usual suspects but I could not resist the juiciness of that line from Cora.

“We stole that loving World Series”

It is tremendous content

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Sydin posted:

Yeah it hardly seems worth denying. Like they cheated. They got away with it. We’ve been through it all. Why wouldn’t they boast when they get worked up? They clearly have never been remorseful.

It’s good book teaser stuff since it digs all that emotion back up and sends everyone back into their corners. But like… duh?

And Ignore is a healthy feature because life is too short to keep getting dragged into the same stupid bullshit with the same people looking to ruin your day so even cutting that down a little is good.

STAC Goat fucked around with this message at 20:58 on Feb 3, 2023

Gerblederp
Dec 4, 2009

Any post that doesn’t mention the handsome and noble Blue Jays just looks like gibberish to my pure and healthy brain.

Gerblederp fucked around with this message at 21:11 on Feb 3, 2023

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Bottom line is this: this book is going to come out and completely reignite this argument. It's going to make a lot of sensational, anonymously-sourced claims. And it's going to make them about a lot of teams.

quote:

“We knew the Astros did [steal signs],” another member of the Red Sox told Drellich, “because Alex Cora told us. He said that when they played the Dodgers, ‘We already knew what everybody was throwing before we even got on base. We didn’t have to get on base.’ And everybody was like, ‘What the hell does that mean?’ ”

But the Red Sox had already been caught cheating before Cora arrived.

In 2017, they were caught for illegally stealing signs using an Apple Watch under former manager John Farrell. And then before the 2020 season, replay coordinator J.T. Watkins was suspended for the entire year for illegally relaying the other team’s signs from the video room to the dugout during games in 2018.

The book includes new details on Watkins’ fall, including this nugget that he “was said to have some money come his way, even though he was supposed to be on an unpaid suspension.”

“We know what he did for us, so it’s on us to take care of him,” players reportedly said.

The Red Sox later brought Watkins back as a scout after he served his suspension.

“Winning Fixes Everything” is a book primarily about the Astros, but illustrates how many teams, including the Red Sox, Yankees and Dodgers, were also bending the rules.

Alleging that Red Sox players tried to pay for the unpaid suspension of the guy who helped them cheat is insanely provocative, and it's anonymously sourced. Hopefully it's better sourced in the book, because that is a massive allegation to make without someone willing to put a name behind it.

We know there are bad sportswriters and good sportswriters. We know there are trustworthy ones and untrustworthy ones. When Heyman is posting poo poo about "a source tells me" we know that he's being Boras' mouthpiece, that's important context. The fact that Drellich had a toxic relationship with the Astros - through no fault of his own - is important context when reading his reporting about that team. If this opinion makes me an ignorable nazi, so be it. Go Jays.

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=
Seems like we can fix this by simply abolishing the American League.

maffew buildings
Apr 29, 2009

too dumb to be probated; not too dumb to be autobanned
baseball is a game of cheating and always has been. may The Boys never stop doing cheating, namaste.

maffew buildings
Apr 29, 2009

too dumb to be probated; not too dumb to be autobanned

Poque posted:

Seems like we can fix this by simply abolishing the American League.

this is hate speech

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gerblederp
Dec 4, 2009

zoux posted:

Go Jays.

Finally someone speaking some goddamn sense.