Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Mounted units in general lost a lot of their shine in Engage I think. Wolf Knight is good because daggers are good, Great Knight can be fun on Louis, but otherwise I haven’t really used them. Royal Knight’s niche of being a mounted staff user is cool but I have three flying staff users (Hortensia, Ivy, Griffin Knight Chloé) so I don’t see much use for it.

Reik posted:

How are y'all using the smash weapons? I pretty much just used them for the engage attacks so I could get off a huge Overdrive or Blazing Lion.

They can be solid on super slow tanks like Louis because their drawback doesn’t matter on enemy phase and they hit really hard.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
they seem to have landed on balancing horses by making them slow as hell, perhaps even taking it too far; in this game, I think having backup vs extra move is already an interesting, well-balanced choice even on two identically statted units

flyers meanwhile continue to be as good as ever

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

Reik posted:

How are y'all using the smash weapons? I pretty much just used them for the engage attacks so I could get off a huge Overdrive or Blazing Lion.

Louis uses one as a General since he isn't doubling anyways and its a huge might increase.

They're also useful as backup weapons if you have any spare slots so you can use them with different Engage attacks for the might bonus. Early on I had Lapis carry one to boost Marth's big attack so she didn't hit like a wet noodle.

Notty
Jun 4, 2010

Reik posted:

Smash weapons are pretty situational, but when you come across those situations they’re very nice to have. They’re great on characters like Diamant, Louis, or anyone with Ike who don’t necessarily care that much about eating hits, and you as mentioned having a big Mt weapon for engage attacks that don’t double anyway is handy.

Supremezero
Apr 28, 2013

hay gurl
I think smash weapons would be better if every boss ever didn't come after you, thus hopping off their fort/heal tile/whatever on their own.

Veryslightlymad
Jun 3, 2007

I fight with
my brain
and with an
underlying
hatred of the
Erebonian
Noble Faction

Reik posted:

I largely use them backward. I break an enemy with someone else and then finish a thing off with a smash weapon while they're too helpless to Hamedo me.

In the map where Amber appears, he can kill any mage on it with his smash weapon.

It's somehow the most accurate weapon on my Jade right now, so if the stars align and she can actually tank something, she has a reasonable chance of punishing for massive damage.

cheetah7071 posted:

I used a smash weapon once to get an enemy off of miasma, that's about it.

they're not very good, unfortunately

This helped a lot with that map.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
I think one time I used a steel greataxe with great aether cause it did slightly more damage than my other options and took a barely-missed kill into an actual kill

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Wearer of Compasses. Slayer of Gods. Champion of the Colosseum. Heart of the Void.
Saviour of Hallownest.

Reik posted:

The main one I use is Aymr on the Edelgard DLC emblem.

The turn typically goes:

Engage Edelgard, cast Fallen star on opponent to reduce all damage taken in the next combat to 0.

Dance Edelgard engage.

Cast Raging loving storm. (Smash)

The enemy hits you for 0 damage because you have Fallen star up.

You Raging loving storm their dumb face.

You now have another turn.

Attack with Aymr again if you can take the hit.

Canto back to Byleth who engages with Goddess dance to give you another turn. Byleth then cantos next to an enemy.

You cast Houses Unite+ on the enemy, which gives you an extra turn.

You then use Failnaught to shoot at the enemy again or Aymr again if you can take the hit.

At the end of this turn your Edelgard has taken six actions.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

the smash weapons are really good but you just use them for the damage, not really for the actual smash. they have insanely high might so if youre gonna get countered anyway they're just pure upside

Veryslightlymad
Jun 3, 2007

I fight with
my brain
and with an
underlying
hatred of the
Erebonian
Noble Faction
How the hell are you getting that thing's accuracy above 60ish percent? The most I have seen Edelgard have was like, 67.

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

I will never log offshut up.

Royal Knight is fine I guess, but yeah one extra move over infantry is not enough. so like if you like Chloe healing but don't want her to get shot out of the sky, Martial Master is right there and gives her Chain Guard which is way better than the 1 move.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
flyers are insanely good still, imo, and I would never ground chloe

nom epique
Apr 24, 2022

by VideoGames
Bro, I’m about to pop in this cartridge

ChrisBTY
Mar 29, 2012

this glorious monument

I don't even know why the game has 3,000+SP skills. At best you might be able to squeeze 3,000SP out of a run but that's it.

nom epique
Apr 24, 2022

by VideoGames

nom epique posted:

Bro, I’m about to pop in this cartridge

It needs an update before I can play. Shades of Xbox fail.

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

cheetah7071 posted:

flyers are insanely good still, imo, and I would never ground chloe

I regret nothing. I noticed I was using her for healing more than fighting at that point anyway, and Framme is one of the characters I loathe so swapping her to monk fixed both of those. Hell she did better damage when it came time to punch too that way. I just never got good results from her after the midgame, she refused to gain bld or str.

Veryslightlymad
Jun 3, 2007

I fight with
my brain
and with an
underlying
hatred of the
Erebonian
Noble Faction
I might ground Chloe for something else, but I was thinking of stuffing Jean into the Royal Knight. The preview makes all of his stats go crazy, and it looks like it has nice growths.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

ChrisBTY posted:

I don't even know why the game has 3,000+SP skills. At best you might be able to squeeze 3,000SP out of a run but that's it.

I *think* the intent is to strike a balance between needing to actually equip emblems to get the big skills (instead of just inheriting the best stuff on everybody), while still allowing it to happen in postgame

the problem is that the postgame barely exists and nobody wants to just endlessly play tempest trials, forever. So you have a menu option that might as well not exist

Veryslightlymad
Jun 3, 2007

I fight with
my brain
and with an
underlying
hatred of the
Erebonian
Noble Faction
If we all cross our fingers and have kindness in our hearts, maybe they'll release a robust after game DLC.

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

I'm just hoping they do something to fix up support gains and let you pick what outfit someone wears into combat for my inevitable replay once the dlc is done.

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Wearer of Compasses. Slayer of Gods. Champion of the Colosseum. Heart of the Void.
Saviour of Hallownest.

Veryslightlymad posted:

How the hell are you getting that thing's accuracy above 60ish percent? The most I have seen Edelgard have was like, 67.

It's on Chloe and girl has many sterling qualities, one of which is very high Dex.

ChrisBTY
Mar 29, 2012

this glorious monument

My Chloe wound up with Speed, Dex and that's it.

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Saviour of Hallownest.

ChrisBTY posted:

My Chloe wound up with Speed, Dex and that's it.

Yeah Edelgard has the helpful quality of giving Chloe +5 Str/Dex baseline and then also giving her +7 Atk if Chloe has a lance and Dimitri is out/an axe and Edelgard is out / just a flat +7 if she's engaged.

It turns out that +12 Str is *quite* strong on a speedy flier.

FrickenMoron
May 6, 2009

Good game!
If anyone doesn't mind using dlc you can have 1.4 x SP gain by inheriting both byleths and edelgards XP skills. They stack. 400 so cost total. It means you gain 140 sp for every 100 XP.

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

I am mad that there's no pegasus in advanced tier. These wyverns are much better than 3H, but not as good as the FEW wyverns. The griffin looks appropriately big but the ridable wyverns still seem small somehow. And I like pegasi better, let Chloe stay on one drat it. :argh:

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Saviour of Hallownest.

FrickenMoron posted:

If anyone doesn't mind using dlc you can have 1.4 x SP gain by inheriting both byleths and edelgards XP skills. They stack. 400 so cost total. It means you gain 140 sp for every 100 XP.

The problem is the scaling in that your experience gain gets lower if your levels get too high.

That combo is really good for 1. Ensuring you're at the high end of the level cap for most maps 2. Maintaining a bench since you can support around 2-3 more characters with it up.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
Chloe is like, the exact right balance of speed, str, and defense, imo. She's not your most durable unit, but she's durable *enough* to do flyer things (and with the early angelic robe is nearly as tanky as vander almost immediately). She's not your best offense, but she has *enough* str that she'll secure kills with a +3 iron lance early on, and later on a killer lance or any offense-granting emblem will do the same. She's not your fastest unit, but she's fast *enough* to double everything but the real rear end in a top hat enemies. All while having the best mobility type in the game. She's the best pegasus knight since like, Marcia, I think.

Mysticblade
Oct 22, 2012

Yeah, Chloe is consistently good from start to finish and works with basically any emblem. I think she's a good contender for best unit in the game even if she's not looking good compared to the series bests.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

cheetah7071 posted:

She's the best pegasus knight since like, Marcia, I think.

Ingrid can solo half the final map of any route in a single enemy phase on Maddening. Chloe's got a lot to live up to with that assessment. :v:

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

Cythereal posted:

Ingrid can solo half the final map of any route in a single enemy phase on Maddening. Chloe's got a lot to live up to with that assessment. :v:

I was skipping over 3h cause of the freeform class system

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Chloe's problem is that Ivy and Hortensia are also flying staff users but with magic! She kinda dropped off my squad not too long after I got both.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

fe12 palla is probably the best peg knight in the series

unless you arent counting the remakes in which case, sure, tho thats mostly a function of the awakening and fates pegs being ehhhh

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
I can't believe I forgot the DS games

new mystery Palla and Catria, and shadow dragon Caeda, are definitely better. My bad.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
Anyways, hyperbolic comparisons to other games aside, Chloe is real good, which is the point I actually wanted to make

Veryslightlymad
Jun 3, 2007

I fight with
my brain
and with an
underlying
hatred of the
Erebonian
Noble Faction
My Chloe is.... Fine? Nowhere near as fast as people are saying, so maybe a little speed screwed. Most of my units are speed screwed, it would seem. The only reliable doublers I have (discounting Alear) are Celine, Clanne, and Yunaka. (Which, to be fair, are good units to have doubles). Chloe is in that next tier with Lapis.

She does seem pretty good at a lot of things, though, which makes the decision of how to promote her one of the more difficult ones that I have. I could see he doing well as about four different things.

As for where she ranks in the series, I would currently put her behind Ingrid. I never had any luck with the GBA or Gamecube pegasi.

Edit
Wait, was that on the Wii?

hopeandjoy
Nov 28, 2014

“Marcia is soooo good” is always hilarious to me because I’ve never had a Marcia that can do damage for poo poo. I always just use Jill since she’s also early game lol.

Sleng Teng
May 3, 2009

I made Chloe a lance griffin which was probably a mistake because the flame lance kinda sucks (looks cool though and I already have like 3 levin users). My other mistake was promoting her 3/4th in line so she got some non ideal growths for a few levels. Despite all that she's still fairly fast and reasonably durable and does sufficient damage.

I think in my maddening run to come I'll try chucking her into wyvern instead and see how that goes.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled

hopeandjoy posted:

“Marcia is soooo good” is always hilarious to me because I’ve never had a Marcia that can do damage for poo poo. I always just use Jill since she’s also early game lol.

The first time I played PoR my Marcia hit strength every single level until she rammed her cap.

GateOfD
Jan 31, 2023

So kawaii..
Smash weapons would be neat if the enemy took additional damage if it got knocked into another unit or wall like every other s-rpg with smash mechanics

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Saviour of Hallownest.

hopeandjoy posted:

"Marcia is soooo good" is hilarious to me because she's a corpse.