Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ChrisBTY
Mar 29, 2012

this glorious monument

My endgame Chloe who was roughly total level 28 had <20 in Str, Magic, Def, Res, and luck. And was built like Mr. Punyverse to boot (but what pegasus rider isn't?)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ccubed
Jul 14, 2016

How's it hanging, brah?

GateOfD posted:

Smash weapons would be neat if the enemy took additional damage if it got knocked into another unit or wall like every other s-rpg with smash mechanics

That does break the unit regardless of weapon type tho right? (haven't used smash weapons much)

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

id probably put the peg knight tier list as

S+++: FE11!Caeda, FE12!Palla, FE12!Catria, FE15!Palla, FE15!Catria, FE9!Marcia
S: FE11!Catria, FE2!Catria, FE3!Catria, FE3!Palla, FE9!Tanith
A: FE3!Caeda, FE12!Caeda, FE11!Palla, FE1!Catria, FE2!Palla, FE1!Palla, Florina, Vanessa, Hinoka, Reina
B: FE1!Caeda, FE15!Est, FE11!Est, Shanna, Fiora, Tana, Sumia, Cordelia, FE2!Clair, FE15!Clair, Karin
C: FE1!Est, FE2!Est, FE3!Est, Erinys, Fee, Thea, Farina, Tsubaki, FE10!Tanith, FE10!Sigrun, FE10!Marcia
D: FE12!Est, Misha, Syrene

goddamn do the whitewings make making this kind of list a pain in the rear end.

anyway i didnt count the awakening/fates kids

overall id say chloe is around the vanessa/florina level. shes a strong flier whos around for most of the game but she doesnt take over the game in the way some of the better pegs in the series do. its definitely a strong showing compared to awakening or fates though, but those games both favored bulky units and didnt offer much in the way of maps where flying is that helpful.

as an aside even though he isnt a peg (or is he...) id say rosado is sadly more in the fe9 haar tier of just being functional prepromote wyvern man.

Mysticblade
Oct 22, 2012

Yeah, Chloe being up there on any engage tier list is more a function of there not being any obvious god unit ruling the game. Sigurd!Louis has the early game but he's like a B or C once he falls off

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Wearer of Compasses. Slayer of Gods. Champion of the Colosseum. Heart of the Void.
Saviour of Hallownest.
Where does Cynthia rate given she's disgustingly, disgustingly broken?

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

I will never log offshut up.

Look if Chloe gets to be a pegasus in Engage's equally free class system and despite the fact that she loses the pegasus when she promotes guaranteed, Ingrid is also pegasus. :colbert:

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

yeah id say the only units that stand out as especially good to me are kagetsu, louis, and seadall (because dancer.) and the only unit that seems especially bad is bunet. everyone else is varying levels of good to needs some babying but can still be good to good for a while then falls off.

RME
Feb 20, 2012

I made Chloe a wyvern and unsurprisingly that’s been pretty good. She gets a little fightier out of it, I don’t think she’d be bad in griffon though. I do miss having a res-flier but she’s also not complete paper to magic which is a nice bonus.
I trained swords cause her Bld is kinda low. This is probably one of the least divergent reclasses lol

Carlosologist
Oct 13, 2013

Revelry in the Dark

Did anyone use Amber? I kinda felt bad for immediately benching him after his introductory map but I also didn’t have a good mounted unit afterwards

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Natural 20 posted:

Where does Cynthia rate given she's disgustingly, disgustingly broken?
a tier because she joins somewhat late and requires some investment to, uh, exist, given sumia's limited support options. you have to pass up chrom/robin to give her her best dad and otherwise you have to either cart around gaius who isnt that great a unit or pair her up with freddy which makes cynthia less broken.

RME
Feb 20, 2012

It’s funny that Bunet is supposed to be bad cause uh, I’m not sure if my Louis is that much better and I wanted to make him a great knight (general just feels like a total no go or obligation to use Sigurd, which is annoying when everyone else does have some genuine flexibility)

GateOfD
Jan 31, 2023

So kawaii..
It’s a crime thief gets no assassin class promotion or variant

hopeandjoy
Nov 28, 2014

I wonder if there is such thing as a bad dancer. Some dancers are better than other dancers (see the herons singing multiple people and also flying) but it’s pretty much always a good idea to deploy your dancer.

Dr. Cool Aids
Jul 6, 2009

Carlosologist posted:

Did anyone use Amber? I kinda felt bad for immediately benching him after his introductory map but I also didn’t have a good mounted unit afterwards

I used Amber, perfectly serviceable but not a standout. hit hard but not hardest, could take a hit but not tanky, etc.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

GateOfD posted:

Its hosed up.

The game's one flaw

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
His passive is really strong if you want a second diamant.

ROFL Octopus
Jun 20, 2014

LET ME EXPLAIN

Carlosologist posted:

Yeah he’s good. His base strength is fantastic and wolf knight is an awesome promotion that fixes his middling speed. Good passive too.

GiantRockFromSpace
Mar 1, 2019

Just Cram It

GateOfD posted:

Imagine Yunaka with Silencer. Hiya Papaya indeed.

Notty
Jun 4, 2010
I mean what would Assassin even do that Thief doesn’t do already?

Given that Thief utility doesn’t really meaningfully exist and Thieves start with promoted unit movement and stats, the only thing they’re missing is Lethality which you can get from Bond Rings anyway.

It feels more like Engage removed Thieves and just decided to rename Assassins to Thieves which fits with the two Thieves we actually get lol

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

"Go on until you're stopped."
I used Amber with Tiki and he was absolutely fantastic, but that might say more about Tiki than about him.

His supports are incredible, though.

Hellioning
Jun 27, 2008

Promoting is fun and I'm sad when you cannot promote a unit. I even want a special promoted dancer class because I like promoting.

jimmydalad
Sep 26, 2013

My face when others are unable to appreciate the :kazooieass:

AGDQ 2018 Awful Block Survivor

hopeandjoy posted:

I wonder if there is such thing as a bad dancer. Some dancers are better than other dancers (see the herons singing multiple people and also flying) but it’s pretty much always a good idea to deploy your dancer.

Just the pure nature of letting one of your characters take 2 turns makes Dancer extremely strong, even if they literally have 0 stats and die if someone so much as looks in their direction.

RME
Feb 20, 2012

Yeah idk if you can count Tiki boosting a unit when she’s clearly meant to be a bit of a light cheaty-dlc as opposed to the hard pay2win exp/gold grinding maps that will come later

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
Chloe is definitely below the whitewings (in the games where they're good) but I'd still put her at least half a tier above Florina and Vanessa. Those two have legitimate offense issues. That can be overcome by skilled play, but Chloe just needs a forge to overcome any early strength issue, which is basically free in this game. This is basically the same reason why Marcia is so good; she has fairly normal pegasus knight bases (though unusually good growths), but the game systems (bexp and forging) allow you to just skip the part where it takes skill to use her and jump right to the part where she makes the game easy.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Notty posted:

Cool new design and skills!

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

Trickster would be an absurdly good promotion for thieves in this game.

Supremezero
Apr 28, 2013

hay gurl
Let thieves promote to trickster imo. They already lean towards it by having Yunaka be the default for Micaiah.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
I immediately regret promoting Framme for maddening because I completely forgot Pandreo joins with Kagetsu-tier base stats.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Hellioning posted:

Promoting is fun and I'm sad when you cannot promote a unit. I even want a special promoted dancer class because I like promoting.

I can't argue with this, time to add Trickster

posadas
Jan 28, 2021
Now that I hit chapter 23, I've been doing the Paralogues in order with my benched characters, and it feels like playing a new FE game, with a new cast and Alear as the Jiegan. Celine's my only mage and is unable to one-round armor units, making me rely heavily on armorslayers and engage weapons, and Etie with a minibow forged with +Avoid has been my dodge tank. I was able to clear most of the map for Lucina and Lyn's paralogues, but Ike, Byleth, and Corrin were won while outnumbered and surrounded. I'm hoping that my B-team can keep up with the level curve of these maps, giving me a nice mini-campaign.

WrightOfWay
Jul 24, 2010

cheetah7071 posted:

Chloe is definitely below the whitewings (in the games where they're good) but I'd still put her at least half a tier above Florina and Vanessa. Those two have legitimate offense issues. That can be overcome by skilled play, but Chloe just needs a forge to overcome any early strength issue, which is basically free in this game. This is basically the same reason why Marcia is so good; she has fairly normal pegasus knight bases (though unusually good growths), but the game systems (bexp and forging) allow you to just skip the part where it takes skill to use her and jump right to the part where she makes the game easy.

I think Florina and Vanessa have significantly better utility in Rescue than Chloe does, though. I can definitely buy the argument that that makes up for slightly worse combat.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

WrightOfWay posted:

I think Florina and Vanessa have significantly better utility in Rescue than Chloe does, though. I can definitely buy the argument that that makes up for slightly worse combat.

yeah that's reasonable. I definitely found plenty of places where flyer movement was useful even without rescuing but, I won't die on this hill

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Wearer of Compasses. Slayer of Gods. Champion of the Colosseum. Heart of the Void.
Saviour of Hallownest.

Notty posted:

Given that Thief utility doesn’t really meaningfully exist and Thieves start with promoted unit movement and stats, the only thing they’re missing is Lethality which you can get from Bond Rings anyway.

It feels more like Engage removed Thieves and just decided to rename Assassins to Thieves which fits with the two Thieves we actually get lol

Give them bows.

Made a list of characters I used on Maddening and gave them tiers along with their final engages because why not:

S tier:

Panette + Lyn. Panette is just busted, the best character in the game by a long way. Gigantic str growth combined with decent speed and bulk means she can run an EP Ike set or in my case, a speed steal Wyvern build that makes the game feel like 3h. She joins with 1500 SP meaning she can open with starsphere for +15% growths on top of everything.

Citrinne + Dire Thunder. Citrinne is pretty mid but has huge magic growth and Dire Thunder is so strong that I think it's better than almost every emblem ring apart from Byleth and Lyn. As soon as she got it, she became the only character apart from Panette who could reliably one round opponents. Which is a big deal on maddening.

Seadall + Miciah: He's a loving dancer.

A tier:

Yunaka + Roy. Yunaka needs two things, a lot of attention in the form of weapon refines and Corrin enchant and someone who can set fog. She's okay absent these but they take her from situational to godlike. On maddening fog Yunaka is still untouchable by 90% of enemies and has a 50% Crit chance which is gamechanging.
The problem is that to fog you either need to staple Corrin to Alear or run Yunaka/Zelkov with Corrin, both of which aren't the best options. So to make her good you pay by weakening your team and removing fire as a means of map control.

Chloe + Edelgard: She flies, one HP booster gives her the bulk to not be oneshot and Edelgard gives her enough strength on her high speed to hit hard and fast.
Wyvern Chloe loves Edelgard even more because it means she gets weapon sync boosts on two of the three options available to her.

Anna + Byleth: The character is Radiant bow and Goddess dance. She does very little else but my god she fucks enemy fliers. Dual assist gives her some valuable chip, but broadly Anna did one job and did that job very very well. Byleth similarly had one job and did it very well. And hey, I'm not complaining about 166g for every enemy that dies.

B Tier:

Alear + Tiki: If I was writing this during the mid-game Alear would be in S, but the fall off later is very harsh. I think Dragon is a bad class because swords are bad and fists are bad, largely Tiki did all the work for him for the entire game. And her early boosts are huge but they're static, so they fall off eventually. If I were to play again I'd promote Alear into hero almost immediately and get him canto/dual assist as early as reasonably possible. I think he'd potentially thrive like that.

Rosado + Sigurd: Very very okay for most of the game, got to brave axe quads near the endgame and shot up in value. Sigurd movement on a flier did a lot of work for him, but the damage output is all his. I think the babying was worth it, but it's very hard to tell.

Do not read this unless you've beaten the game.
Veyle + Corrin: If she showed earlier she would be higher up, but a universal Corrin bot that doesn't eat Alear has a lot of value. I dislike Corrin on Alear because I want Alear to get experience and Corrin deprives a character of that, but Veyle is perfect for this role. She joins at a high enough level to not want experience and she's useless beyond that so she's literally the perfect fit.

C Tier:

Alcryst + Lucina: I'm going to be real here, almost every native archer in the game could be replaced by a caster second sealed to warrior or sniper with radiant bow and you'd be better off. Alcryst was hard carried by Lucina giving him dual strike. He didn't have the damage to take down big flying threats and didn't have the speed to double them. Luna helps his weakness but not much since its activation isn't very reliable until endgame.

Celine + Leif: Celine with Levin sword is monstrously strong in the early game but she falls off incredibly quickly as the game catches up to that power level. She needs ignis for real damage and it doesn't proc often enough. Honestly, ignis should just be on 100% of the time on her. What I can say though is that she was good in a pinch because she can do a little of everything and Quadruple strike is very strong on her because she gets four chances for an ignis proc.

Louis + Ike: Walls physical units incredibly well but has nearly no killing power and low accuracy on everything. His vulnerability to casters can be worked around, I had him eat lots of talismans to stop him from being oneshot but the inability to counterkill makes him a one trick pony and Corrin does that one trick better.

Kagetsu + Eirika: I made the mistake of keeping Kagetsu in swordmaster which hurt him a lot because the class is worthless. He had decent killing power but struggled a lot with being out of position. I think he would do much better as a hero or a Wyvern rider since he's a like a lowkey Panette.

D tier:

Ivy + Celica: Essentially a flying staffbot. Appalling accuracy and low damage with no doubling power there's very few points where I thought she was adding value and many points where I wished she was another character.

Jean + Corrin: Jean did nothing apart from heal the entire game, until he got Corrin and then he vommed fire the entire game. Anyone could have done his role and his personal being essentially a trap for a blind playthrough sucks.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Natural 20 posted:

Ivy + Celica: Essentially a flying staffbot. Appalling accuracy and low damage with no doubling power there's very few points where I thought she was adding value and many points where I wished she was another character.

For future reference, Hortensia is a significantly better flying staffbot, if you find yourself wanting one of those in another playthrough.

Ivy turned out really solid for me but I don't have fixed growths so I'm curious what her stats end up like with that.

bravesword
Apr 13, 2012

Silent Protagonist
It made sense for Thief to be a special case like Dancer when it was mostly a map utility class, but given that they removed stealing and heavily downplayed lockpicking (I can’t even remember if they have extra fog of war vision), Thieves are basically normal combat classes here and should have gotten a promotion. It would be neat to have, say, a Dagger/Sword covert class, or something.

ROFL Octopus
Jun 20, 2014

LET ME EXPLAIN

RME posted:

Yeah idk if you can count Tiki boosting a unit when she’s clearly meant to be a bit of a light cheaty-dlc as opposed to the hard pay2win exp/gold grinding maps that will come later

Tiki’s good but I don’t think she seems overtuned or anything? Having a big blob of stats on a unit and being able to give another unit insurance is nice, but it doesn’t feel like it’s expanding my options like doing a massive AOE attack or Jugdral Dance or full screen attack or mass-warping me and fellas like the base game emblems offer.

Shiny777
Oct 29, 2011

YAMI WO KIRISAKU
OH DESIRE

hopeandjoy posted:

If there is one, I'd say it's Olivia. Her joining at a point/with a statline that ensures she can't dodge for poo poo and is instagibbed by everything from the word go always made it feel to me like protecting her was more work than the dancing was worth.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
if olivia is bad, it's not because of her stats; it's because Awakening units snowball so effectively that you can just run them forward without thinking about the enemies and hit end turn

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled
Why would you put Micaiah on Seadall when Seadall should be spending 99% of his turns dancing and the 1% he's not dancing chain guarding and you have 13 other deployment slots that could be filled with someone who can actually spam Micaiah's broken staves?

Also if you're using Ivy as nothing but a flying staff bot, why would you even deploy her instead of Hortensia, who is literally designed to be a flying staff bot?

Kanos fucked around with this message at 00:10 on Feb 4, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Saviour of Hallownest.

cheetah7071 posted:

if olivia is bad, it's not because of her stats; it's because Awakening units snowball so effectively that you can just run them forward without thinking about the enemies and hit end turn

Also because they all self dance.

In all seriousness, it's because Awakening is either defined by hardcore enemy phase or Dark Flier Deliverer / Galeforce player phase. Olivia can't do anything as a dancer because the sheer range on the player phase units is so high that she can't catch them.

Harrow posted:

For future reference, Hortensia is a significantly better flying staffbot, if you find yourself wanting one of those in another playthrough.

Ivy turned out really solid for me but I don't have fixed growths so I'm curious what her stats end up like with that.

For reference.

Yeah I realised Hortensia was better but I was deep in enough on Ivy that I didn't want to dump her.

I probably should have been more vicious about dumping underperformers than I was.

Kanos posted:

Why would you put Micaiah on Seadall when Seadall should be spending 99% of his turns dancing and the 1% he's not dancing chain guarding and you have 13 other deployment slots that could be filled with someone who can actually spam Micaiah's broken staves?

Also if you're using Ivy as nothing but a flying staff bot, why would you even deploy her instead of Hortensia, who is literally designed to be a flying staff bot?

I put Mic on Seadall because she didn't really sit anywhere else that well. She should have gone on Ivy but I was still stupidly trying to make her work as a caster to the very end.

In terms of Mic staff usage, I just, didn't really need it. Like I'm going to be honest here, I used Mic for great sacrifice grinding earlygame and then forgot about most of her abilities after I got her back because my strategy was set.

Natural 20 fucked around with this message at 00:14 on Feb 4, 2023