Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TheWorldsaStage
Sep 10, 2020

veni veni veni posted:

It's kind of crazy that in 2023 the survival horror genre is in a better spot than than it's been in since probably the early 00s. It's probably one of my two favorite genres and I've become so used to taking whatever table scraps get thrown my way, but all of a sudden the game industry just decided it was worth spending money on again and it rules.

Resident Evil 7's success really put the genre back on the map I think

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

I did figure after the runaway success of RE7 we'd see an explosion of good horror vr games, but not even RE could get that off the ground.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

TheWorldsaStage posted:

It really did for me personally. I'd played RE4 since the gamecube days but didn't really touch the rest of the series or horror in general. RE7 came out and got me to the point where it's probably my favorite franchise and I'm also dabbling in quite a bit of other horror stuff.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

TheWorldsaStage posted:

I think Alien Isolation is what really started it, but what really sold it to publishers was that RE7 came out, sold great, and most importantly *sold Village* as well. It showed that it wasn't just a random hit, which is kind of a big deal because RE4 was a huge success and then the followups went downhill fast. Since Village did well too it greenlit a whole lot of stuff.

haldolium
Oct 22, 2016

CuddleCryptid posted:

I think Alien Isolation is what really started it, but what really sold it to publishers was that RE7 came out, sold great, and most importantly *sold Village* as well. It showed that it wasn't just a random hit, which is kind of a big deal because RE4 was a huge success and then the followups went downhill fast. Since Village did well too it greenlit a whole lot of stuff.

Pretty sure Amnesia back in 2010 (re)started all of it. Since then survival horror has exploded and led AAA devs to what became AI or RE7.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

haldolium posted:

Pretty sure Amnesia back in 2010 (re)started all of it. Since then survival horror has exploded and led AAA devs to what became AI or RE7.

TIL Amnesia and Alien Isolation were only 4 years apart. I thought that Dark Descent came out in like 2005.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

The missing formula here was appropriate scope. RE6 sold as well as RE5 but probably cost twice as much at the very least. RE7 hit the sweet spot of reinventing itself with a smaller scope and a really smart strategy of drip fed information that nobody ended up caring it had 4 singleplayer DLCs to experience the full story.

My biggest fear is Dead Space will do well and EA kickstarts The Calisto Protocol of Dead Spaces that flops like DS3.

Amnesia hit the right time of the rise of streamers but Penumbra was an early Steam independent hit.

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

i think a DS2 remake is all but guaranteed once the sales numbers come in for DSR, but the really interesting wrinkle is with DS3

i don't think it's completely dreck as a game, but there's so much mush that it feels like you ought to carve out the core with a spoon and try to come up with something more satisfying and less silly than throwing rocks at a giant octopus head to end your horror game franchise on. i think whether we see it or not depends on whether the perception is that people are buying DSR and DS2R out of warm nostalgia for two horror classics, or if there's enough genuinely renewed interest that the turkey of the franchise can be largely redone and still find an audience

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

What's on your mind, Axa?

CuddleCryptid posted:

TIL Amnesia and Alien Isolation were only 4 years apart. I thought that Dark Descent came out in like 2005.

Penumbra was the same devs and very similar in gameplay and that came out around then, maybe a little bit later, you might be thinking of that one.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
Not that insightful, but this is what one of the producers had to say about what's next

It’s funny you touch on it disappearing off the map. EA itself basically left the series to do nothing for 10 years. Do you have ideas for what you could do with it next?

PD: For sure, it's, it's a hope that we have. There's interest on my side and I think on Roman's side – you can see his smile – in exploring Dead Space more. There are ideas, that's for sure. We're finishing this week, we're going to be making sure that that launch goes well and that there are as few technical issues as possible. We're gonna be heading out on vacation and then we'll sit down and we'll have those discussions within EA to say, 'Well, what's next?'

A few more nuggets in that interview, like the guy in charge seemingly genuinely caring about the series, or how they initially added a quick turn

Were there moments when you realised you had gone too far and had to pull back?

RC-O: Definitely. Dead Space has a specific feel, in terms of the weight of the character. You're in that big armour with these huge guns, but still you feel really vulnerable. It's really a precise gameplay alchemy to nail. So when we first started recreating Isaac and stuff, we're like, ‘OK. We’ll improve a bit on the camera and the reactivity on the controller.' And at some point we're like, ‘Well, we should put a quick turn in, because more modern survival horror games are doing that.’

We did that and immediately had to remove it. The recipe of Dead Space is that there's something coming at you and you need to stop him before it's too close. And if it's too easy to move away from it, well it's a different game.

https://www.gq-magazine.co.uk/culture/article/dead-space-remake-interview

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

al-azad posted:

The missing formula here was appropriate scope. RE6 sold as well as RE5 but probably cost twice as much at the very least. RE7 hit the sweet spot of reinventing itself with a smaller scope and a really smart strategy of drip fed information that nobody ended up caring it had 4 singleplayer DLCs to experience the full story.
Now hold on, I definitely noticed and hold as the primary negative of RE7 that it doesn't resolve all of its plot within the core game.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS

al-azad posted:

It is very much RE2make with proper inventory tetris set in the world of RE4. This Leon fucks.

Really curious how they'll handle Salazar although having watched Freaks there is nothing scarier than an angry little person.

As a 5'6" male I am offended

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Vermain posted:

i think a DS2 remake is all but guaranteed once the sales numbers come in for DSR, but the really interesting wrinkle is with DS3

i don't think it's completely dreck as a game, but there's so much mush that it feels like you ought to carve out the core with a spoon and try to come up with something more satisfying and less silly than throwing rocks at a giant octopus head to end your horror game franchise on. i think whether we see it or not depends on whether the perception is that people are buying DSR and DS2R out of warm nostalgia for two horror classics, or if there's enough genuinely renewed interest that the turkey of the franchise can be largely redone and still find an audience

I would hope they put in the effort to make the single player game actually single player rather than the other guy randomly showing up in cutscenes. Surely they can afford to record and re-rig a few scenes.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

CuddleCryptid posted:

Surely they can afford to record and re-rig a few scenes.

I dunno, those suits are pretty expensive!

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Fight for all that is beautiful in the world

veni veni veni posted:

It's kind of crazy that in 2023 the survival horror genre is in a better spot than than it's been in since probably the early 00s. It's probably one of my two favorite genres and I've become so used to taking whatever table scraps get thrown my way, but all of a sudden the game industry just decided it was worth spending money on again and it rules.

The fact that silent hill is returning alone is definitely totally bonkers

even if it ends up bad

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

CuddleCryptid posted:

I would hope they put in the effort to make the single player game actually single player rather than the other guy randomly showing up in cutscenes. Surely they can afford to record and re-rig a few scenes.

we're in an age where CPU and memory limitations are thin enough that having your offline coop partner be an actual-for-real NPC that assists in combat and doesn't act like a moron should be entirely possible

it should also 100% be ellie and they should cut out the dumbass love triangle anyways, i can't imagine there's even a fraction of the people who played DS3 that would actually miss that poo poo

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

haldolium posted:

Nah I would say Anmesia was a turning point for horror in general, but not survival horror. Definitely agree with the poster that RE7 is mostly to thank for where we are today. Amnesia I'd give credit for popularizing removing combat from horror games, for better or worse.

man nurse
Feb 18, 2014

I think horror was big way before RE 7, but I definitely credit 7 with revitalizing the RE brand after it had been predominantly going on an action bent with diminishing results.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

I just look at them as two very separate things, because RE was king in the late 90's and early 00s and every horror game seemed inspired by it. Horror games generally involved a combination of action, exploration, puzzles, etc. RE4 switched gears more into action and that was imitated a number of times, but when Amnesia came out (which coincided perfectly with the birth of streamer culture) the horror genre shifted heavily into indie walking sim territory really until RE7, which reinvigorated RE as a series, but I also think it empowered all of these sequels and reboots we are getting.

Don't get me wrong I like a good horror walking sim, especially if Frictional is doing it. And Amnesia was a drat good game, but I see it as more of a roadblock for older style survival horror than something that restarted it.

OxMan
May 13, 2006

COME SEE
GRAVE DIGGER
LIVE AT MONSTER TRUCK JAM 2KXX

veni veni veni posted:

I just look at them as two very separate things, because RE was king in the late 90's and early 00s and every horror game seemed inspired by it. Horror games generally involved a combination of action, exploration, puzzles, etc. RE4 switched gears more into action and that was imitated a number of times, but when Amnesia came out (which coincided perfectly with the birth of streamer culture) the horror genre shifted heavily into indie walking sim territory really until RE7, which reinvigorated RE as a series, but I also think it empowered all of these sequels and reboots we are getting.

Don't get me wrong I like a good horror walking sim, especially if Frictional is doing it. And Amnesia was a drat good game, but I see it as more of a roadblock for older style survival horror than something that restarted it.

Separate, but still connected. RE has always been the me too series, even the original was heavily aping (the other remake we're getting) Alone in the Dark. Re4 was inspired, but still post winback/killswitch. I think RE7 wouldn't have been RE7 without the entirety of PC horror going through the Penumbra-Amnesia-Outlast horror booms and seeing what works and what is and isn't fun. To me it's a very fine balance, i need that interactivity with the world, I don't like Soma or the Penumbra games, but RE7 was perfect and i wish they'd had the courage to make the whole game like the first third. RE8 throws it out the window entirely, but its combat is also fun enough to carry it regardless of which way it goes. That to me is far more compelling than my hands and feet inside the ride at all times.

Hel
Oct 9, 2012

Jokatgulm is tedium.
Jokatgulm is pain.
Jokatgulm is suffering.

RE4 is a good game, but honestly it annoys me how often people just attribute stuff to it.
Sure it inspired Gears of War, but only the camera, the gameplay is inspired by Kill.switch and Bionic Commando. Action-Horror was already a thing, even ignoring stuff like House of the dead.

RE4 came out in early 2005, the same year as the Xbox 360 and just a month before DMC3 , it's post Onimusha 3, Fatal Frame 3 , Silent Hill 4, The Suffering. Multiple series had already done the action horror-> horror themed action transition both at Capcom like Dino Crisis and elsewhere like Nocturne -> BloodRayne->BloodRayne 2.
And games like that kept coming out until( and past) the point where people jumped on the Amnesia/Slender bandwagon in the 2010s, with some attempts to do other kinds of horror like FPS-Horror like Doom 3, Condemned and FEAR( all within a year before or after RE4) popping up occasionally.

Resident Evil 4 is good on its own, not because of how important/influential people claim it is.

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

What's on your mind, Axa?

man nurse posted:

I think horror was big way before RE 7, but I definitely credit 7 with revitalizing the RE brand after it had been predominantly going on an action bent with diminishing results.

7 showed that classic survival horror was still viable, and then the remake of 2 not only reinforced that but showed that the classics themselves could be too.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Hel posted:

RE4 is a good game, but honestly it annoys me how often people just attribute stuff to it.
Sure it inspired Gears of War, but only the camera, the gameplay is inspired by Kill.switch and Bionic Commando. Action-Horror was already a thing, even ignoring stuff like House of the dead.

RE4 came out in early 2005, the same year as the Xbox 360 and just a month before DMC3 , it's post Onimusha 3, Fatal Frame 3 , Silent Hill 4, The Suffering. Multiple series had already done the action horror-> horror themed action transition both at Capcom like Dino Crisis and elsewhere like Nocturne -> BloodRayne->BloodRayne 2.
And games like that kept coming out until( and past) the point where people jumped on the Amnesia/Slender bandwagon in the 2010s, with some attempts to do other kinds of horror like FPS-Horror like Doom 3, Condemned and FEAR( all within a year before or after RE4) popping up occasionally.

Resident Evil 4 is good on its own, not because of how important/influential people claim it is.

People say that RE4 inspired Gears of War? That's deranged.

I think that people chalk RE4's inspirations up more to the idea that when horror games came out following it they were often in RE4's style. Fixed camera games were on their way out, and things like Fatal Frame didn't have nearly the reach of RE4. But "over the shoulder survival horror with a weighted item drop system balanced against a vendor, weapon upgrades for cash that is also used for consumables, etc" were cripped from RE4

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

Game is going to be fine but not sure how to feel about the stealth mechanics.

Also the merchant sounds all wrong..wtf

FuckLacedFusillade
Jan 21, 2005
Legendary Dark Knight

CuddleCryptid posted:

Yeah, what would Cliff Blezinsky know about what inspired Gears of War? The man's talking nonsense!

Vikar Jerome
Nov 26, 2013

I believe Emmanuelle is shit, though Emmanuelle 2, Emmanuelle '77 and Goodbye, Emmanuelle may be very good movies.

Ibram Gaunt posted:

Game is going to be fine but not sure how to feel about the stealth mechanics.

Also the merchant sounds all wrong..wtf

hes just has more new lines. he has the "got some good things on sale stranger" line which plays in the video but it gets cutoff as the player upgrades something.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

FuckLacedFusillade posted:

Yeah, what would Cliff Blezinsky know about what inspired Gears of War? The man's talking nonsense!

Listen, that guy worked on Gears of War, he's clearly unwell.

TheWorldsaStage
Sep 10, 2020

Ahh former goon Cliffy B

Enemabag Jones
Mar 24, 2015

All this credit RE7 is getting is PT erasure. Horror games have been trying to recapture that lightning in a bottle for almost a decade, that dead horse is just a crater in the ground now.

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Enemabag Jones posted:

All this credit RE7 is getting is PT erasure. Horror games have been trying to recapture that lightning in a bottle for almost a decade, that dead horse is just a crater in the ground now.

PT wasn't really bringing survival horror back into the mainstream, though: it's an obscure horror gem that was doubtlessly influential on a lot of future horror projects, but in terms of reviving survival horror as a genre, something like RE7 fits the bill better

TheWorldsaStage
Sep 10, 2020

Yeah I more meant RE7 proved lucrative enough to give the genre a breath of life as far as publishers go

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?

Vermain posted:

PT wasn't really bringing survival horror back into the mainstream, though: it's an obscure horror gem that was doubtlessly influential on a lot of future horror projects, but in terms of reviving survival horror as a genre, something like RE7 fits the bill better

There was a spell of fairly popular PT inspired horror in its wake, like Outlast and Layers of Fear, and RE7 itself felt like it was capitalizing on that trend.

And I don't think we live in a world were anything new by Kojima can be called obscure.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
We talkin' about Dude Huge in here?

Hel
Oct 9, 2012

Jokatgulm is tedium.
Jokatgulm is pain.
Jokatgulm is suffering.

Rinkles posted:

There was a spell of fairly popular PT inspired horror in its wake, like Outlast and Layers of Fear, and RE7 itself felt like it was capitalizing on that trend.

And I don't think we live in a world were anything new by Kojima can be called obscure.

Both Outlast and the Whistleblower DLC game out before PT, so I doubt they were that inspired by it, can't speak for Outlast 2 though. And was RE7 actually close to PT outside of the Demo, that played differently from the main game? And being first person?

Hel fucked around with this message at 18:53 on Feb 4, 2023

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

bloober team seems to have taken a lot of inspiration from PT - layers of fear and blair witch both take obvious inspirations from it in different ways - but they're kind of the only mainstream horror releases that really tried to do what PT did specifically

there's a ton of indie PT knockoffs out there for obvious reasons, but its overt influence on horror games as a medium has been sparse beyond the aspirational dimension of "look what a horror video game can do"

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

Hel posted:

And was RE7 actually close to PT outside of the Demo, that played differently from the main game? And being first person?

There's some surface similarity, especially early on when you're mostly in empty rooms and hallways in a house, but it pretty quickly feels more like Resident Evil. It's kinda funny, there's a segment in RE8 that feels a lot more similar to what I remember of PT, but it's only one chapter of the game and is very unlike everything else in it.

Hel
Oct 9, 2012

Jokatgulm is tedium.
Jokatgulm is pain.
Jokatgulm is suffering.

Captain Hygiene posted:

There's some surface similarity, especially early on when you're mostly in empty rooms and hallways in a house, but it pretty quickly feels more like Resident Evil. It's kinda funny, there's a segment in RE8 that feels a lot more similar to what I remember of PT, but it's only one chapter of the game and is very unlike everything else in it.

Yeah, If anything I'd say RE7's big inspiration was RE1, going back to the monster infested mansion setting that slowly opens up. It's a return to form after RE5&6 were more linear experiences.

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

our every move is the new tradition

CuddleCryptid posted:

https://www.gamespot.com/articles/gdc-07-cliffy-b-disassembles-gears-mentions-sequel/1100-6167213/

quote:

Bleszinski said the seeds of Gears of War were sown by three titles. The first was Capcom's Resident Evil 4, which made an indelible impression on Bleszinski even before its January 2005 release. "I really liked the pacing and the over-the-shoulder view," said the designer.

TheAnomaly
Feb 20, 2003

Vermain posted:

My hope on this front is that the Dead Space remake becomes a reboot for the franchise - I think that 2 and 3 really deviate both in feeling and themes. I hope that instead we get a new protag for a new 2, dealing with a different marker. Dead space lore creates a giant universe to set stuff in, and I feel like the story should at least involve more people than one poor dude suffering more and more mental instability.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bumhead
Sep 26, 2022

RE7 doesn't need the credit or acclaim of revitalising the wider horror genre. All it needed to do was get Resident Evil back on track.

Resident Evil 6 might have sold well but I think it pulled the trigger on the franchise and could potentially have left it rotting at the side of the road. And I honestly think Capcom were smart enough to realise that too regardless of sales.