Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cerv
Sep 14, 2004

This is a silly post with little news value.

Charlz Guybon posted:

It should be illegal to refuse government issued currency

sure. but also the customer has to be willing to accept an IOU in lieu of change.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Glah
Jun 21, 2005
Making 500e denomination bills was a stealthy attempt by EU to gain the status of global reserve currency through the shadow economy because international criminal organizations really really love large denomination bills. :colbert:

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017

Doctor Malaver posted:

I understand the cashless trend and in 2023 it's nearly achievable. But in 2002 I don't think they had that in mind, and there were no €1 and €2 bills then either...

You usually do small purchases more times a week than large purchases, so it would make sense to make the more frequent purchases easier.

I'm sure I'll get used to this so maybe I'm all worked up over nothing, but the stores here still refuse €50 and larger bills. So for practical purposes my new currency offers only three bills: 5, 10, and 20, and a billion different coins. That's inadequate. They had decades to get it right!

Refusing 50€+ bills is just to avoid emptying the register to provide you the change, it's not a currency issue but a cash register stockpile one.

The_Franz
Aug 8, 2003

SlowBloke posted:

Refusing 50€+ bills is just to avoid emptying the register to provide you the change, it's not a currency issue but a cash register stockpile one.

Yeah, stores refusing to take a 50€ bill for a 1€ drink (or $/£) is the kind of thing that happens everywhere. Now, if you are buying 45€ worth of goods and they refuse a 50, that's just weird.

Herman Merman posted:

Things are a bit more nuanced than that, stores are allowed to refuse bills of large denominations since they come with an increased risk of forgery, theft and accidental loss.

On the flip side of that, some places can also refuse 'nuisance payments', such as trying to pay the fine for a traffic ticket with a wheelbarrow full of coins.

AndreTheGiantBoned
Oct 28, 2010

Glah posted:

Making 500e denomination bills was a stealthy attempt by EU to gain the status of global reserve currency through the shadow economy because international criminal organizations really really love large denomination bills. :colbert:

I think that they stopped issuing them exactly due to their nearly exclusive usage by criminal organizations?

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017

AndreTheGiantBoned posted:

I think that they stopped issuing them exactly due to their nearly exclusive usage by criminal organizations?

Before ATMs got stricter limits on maximum retrieval amounts, the one from my bank loved to spit out 500€ bills when asking 500€+, which was super fun to manage. I think I once purchased a fancy tv or computer at a mediamarkt paying in 500€ bills due to that, with cashiers looking at me like i was from space or something.

The_Franz posted:

On the flip side of that, some places can also refuse 'nuisance payments', such as trying to pay the fine for a traffic ticket with a wheelbarrow full of coins.

Article 11 of CEE 974/1998 has an hard limit of 50 coins, which has been ratified by every euro user.

That didn't stopped a few enterprising individuals from attempting to pay speed fines and the like with one cent coins, like this one in 2011 https://attualissimo.it/macellaio-paga-una-multa-con-400-kg-di-monetine/

SlowBloke fucked around with this message at 20:12 on Feb 4, 2023

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.

AndreTheGiantBoned posted:

I once traveled to germany with 7000 euros in 500 dollars bills in my wallet. I bought a car with said money and drove it back to finland.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

His Divine Shadow posted:

I once traveled to germany with 7000 euros in 500 dollars bills in my wallet. I bought a car with said money and drove it back to finland.
This sounds criminal to me, so it checks out.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

We used to have 1000 USD equivalent bills prior to joining the Eurozone.

Mano
Jul 11, 2012

Switzerland still has 1000CHF bills (which many other countries do not like cause of corruption etc see above).
It's mostly ok to use them for stuff like a few hundred up, but it obviously does depend on the size of the shop/cassa.

Pope Hilarius II
Nov 10, 2008

Belgium used to have a 10,000 francs bill (~€250). So not really weird imo.

When I was in the US, I found $1 bills to be very impractical. I usually didn't need them and they took up a lot of space in my wallet because I had to fold them. Coins for denominations under 5 that you can buy small, everyday items with just feel sensible to me.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Honestly I feel a lot of that is inflation of car prices as a necessity of functioning in most countries as much as anything.

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa

Doctor Malaver posted:

Why doesn't Euro have €1 and €2 bills, like dollar has? The 5€ bill is the smallest and a bunch of everyday stuff costs less. 5€ is 38 kn and we had 10 kn and 20 kn bills which served the purpose well. Now I have a choice of either paying every small expense by card (not always possible), or carrying around a pouch of coins. It actually feels like a step back -- now that we've joined the European future etc, my wallet is bursting at the seams and my pockets are full of coins.

We don't have so many strip clubs that it would matter.

In Finland we also had mark coins up to 10 FIM which is about equivalent to 2 EUR. It would be weird to have notes with such useless denominations.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.
We did have 10 FIM notes, 2 euro notes would be very handy IMO.

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013

The 10 mk note was superseded by the 10 mk coin around 1990, not sure what the buying power of a 10 mk bill would've been around then though.

cugel
Jan 22, 2010
The deux-ro coin is a good coin.

An insane mind
Aug 11, 2018

I once withdrew 500 euro in zloty at a Polish airport, because I'm a dumb idiot who doesn't realize how badly that would gently caress up my wallet, and managed to lose both the money and my passport in the busride away from the airport to my hotel.

To this day I hope that whomever found it had a whale of a time with the money they got.

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

An insane mind posted:

I once withdrew 500 euro in zloty at a Polish airport, because I'm a dumb idiot who doesn't realize how badly that would gently caress up my wallet, and managed to lose both the money and my passport in the busride away from the airport to my hotel.

To this day I hope that whomever found it had a whale of a time with the money they got.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

An insane mind posted:

Let me tell you I was paranoid with that money. It was very scary, but I am not sure what the alternative would be even today. But I doubt I will repeat the experience.

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017

It was very scary, but I am not sure what the alternative would be even today.

Wire the money using SEPA transfer like normal people? Even the worse cheapskate banks here add a 1€ max fee in the worse case(most banks do it for free).

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

SlowBloke posted:

Wire the money using SEPA transfer like normal people? Even the worse cheapskate banks here add a 1€ max fee in the worse case(most banks do it for free).

Takes like days to come through

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

SEPA Instant takes less than 10 seconds for sums not exceeding 15k euro. It was introduced 6 years ago.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

cinci zoo sniper posted:

SEPA Instant takes less than 10 seconds for sums not exceeding 15k euro. It was introduced 6 years ago.

News to me, but I haven't actually ever needed to transfer that kind of money since 2004 when this happened.

GABA ghoul
Oct 29, 2011

cinci zoo sniper posted:

You will laugh, but some of the largest German banks still do not offer SEPA instant. As a customer your only reliable choice for larger private purchases is to hand over sketchy envelopes full of cash like you are a character on the Sopranos. It's loving wild sometimes that this country is considered developed

Deltasquid
Apr 10, 2013

awww...
you guys made me ink!

THUNDERDOME

Celexi posted:

where does she live in america so I can go get the thousands in quarters all over her sidewalk

Kentucky, so

Badger of Basra posted:

Sorry but your American friend made that up to disguise her madness

i say swears online posted:

what on earth lol

maybe that person is just dumb as poo poo

definitely plausible

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

GABA ghoul posted:

You will laugh, but some of the largest German banks still do not offer SEPA instant. As a customer your only reliable choice for larger private purchases is to hand over sketchy envelopes full of cash like you are a character on the Sopranos. It's loving wild sometimes that this country is considered developed

Don't tell me this is like DB, Sparkasse, and whatever was the collective name for Volksbanks/Genosses/etc.

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017

It takes one or two business days or you can do instant with a 5-10€ service surcharge here in Italy.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

SlowBloke posted:

It takes one or two business days or you can do instant with a 5-10€ service surcharge here in Italy.

...5-10 EUR? SEPA Instant fee here is 0.36 EUR.

GABA ghoul
Oct 29, 2011

cinci zoo sniper posted:

Don't tell me this is like DB, Sparkasse, and whatever was the collective name for Volksbanks/Genosses/etc.

No, those are actually pretty decent at keeping up with technology and experimenting with new sruff. It's DKB, a publicly owned and second largest direct bank in the country.

ING, the largest direct bank, only started supporting them last year and had to be dragged screaming and kicking

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019

Die Rettung fuer die Landwirte:
https://ec.europa.eu/commission/presscorner/detail/en/qanda_22_6273

quote:

Four years after the necessary technology was put in place to process euro payments instantly, it is apparent that the efforts of the European payments industry or Member States will not be sufficient to remove these obstacles throughout the EU in a timely fashion. Therefore, the Commission concluded that legislative intervention is necessary to unlock the full-scale network effects by connecting all payment service providers to instant payment technology, tackling high prices and frictions, and mitigating the risk of fraud or errors.

Sounds like the banks hosed around long enough that the commission has become unhappy. That's usually something you'd want to avoid as an industry.

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017

cinci zoo sniper posted:

...5-10 EUR? SEPA Instant fee here is 0.36 EUR.

It depends on the bank really, some will penny pinch you to death with a fee on any wire transfer and then surcharge for instant. My daily driver bank account is free wire with 1,5€ surcharge for instant but i pay a monthly fee to remove any charges so, unless i splash out with lots of wires/activities, the overall wire expense might get in that range. Keep in mind that we do pay a 1-3€ service fee even to pay taxes so banks bleeding us dry are normal.

GABA ghoul posted:

ING, the largest direct bank, only started supporting them last year and had to be dragged screaming and kicking

ING and Fineco(an Italian equivalent) love to claim on ads to be the smartest and best in the business when they take weeks to process wires, cost a fortune and have their home banking look like i'm doing data entry on a as-400 with buttons scattered everywhere and no clear sense of purpose.

SlowBloke fucked around with this message at 21:44 on Feb 6, 2023

Celexi
Nov 25, 2006

Slava Ukraini!
I have worked with banks in the past and even before instant sepa, there was a way to get it to process more or less immediately with a swift message, however you'd have to call the receiving bank and convince them to look it up and not do the standard " we haven't received anything, will post when it shows up we promise." because banks love interest free loans, or to charge people for overdraft, which in the EU is based on APR.
So yeah, banks have no interest in fast transfers in the EU as they love their zero % short term loans, interestingly this has never been an issue in America and even with instant Fedwire, which banks fo offer and now same day ach but banks also have zelle that they own for that purpose for small amounts and customers prefer as $0 cost.

Celexi fucked around with this message at 01:32 on Feb 7, 2023

Lord Stimperor
Jun 13, 2018

I'm a lovable meme.

My mums side of the family used to pay almost everything by cash. I remember her buying a new car, worth just a bit less than I took home in a year, in euro bills. Went to the bank with a stealthy grocery bag, and then to the dealer with the bag under her arm, head on a swivel. Totally not suspicious.

The time after that she paid digitally, but kicking and screaming. What if the bank, or the dealer, went bankrupt in the hours between the transfer and getting the keys? What if evil hackers waited until just then to hijack her transactions? What if the clerk receiving the funds just embezzled the funds? It was bizarre. Really had to step over her own shadow there.

VictualSquid
Feb 29, 2012

Gently enveloping the target with indiscriminate love.

Lord Stimperor posted:

My mums side of the family used to pay almost everything by cash. I remember her buying a new car, worth just a bit less than I took home in a year, in euro bills. Went to the bank with a stealthy grocery bag, and then to the dealer with the bag under her arm, head on a swivel. Totally not suspicious.

The time after that she paid digitally, but kicking and screaming. What if the bank, or the dealer, went bankrupt in the hours between the transfer and getting the keys? What if evil hackers waited until just then to hijack her transactions? What if the clerk receiving the funds just embezzled the funds? It was bizarre. Really had to step over her own shadow there.

My grandmother was the same, but she was old enough to actually see her government collapse which is probably the biggest predictor for distrusting electronic money.

Mokotow
Apr 16, 2012

:perfect:

DarkCrawler
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin

VictualSquid posted:

My grandmother was the same, but she was old enough to actually see her government collapse which is probably the biggest predictor for distrusting electronic money.

I mean paper money doesn't fare all that well with government collapses either.

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019

Die Rettung fuer die Landwirte:
If bank transfers were unreliable the entire economy would implode catastrophically faster than you can say "SEPA Lastchriftmandatserklärung". Governments will get really heavy handed to make sure ordinary people's bank transactions are working and safe.

Celexi
Nov 25, 2006

Slava Ukraini!
my grandmother paid twice the price of a plane ticket instead of giving her number over phone to the airline after she said she wouldn't online. in portugal btw

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

Looks like the US inflation reduction act is having a big effect on the behavior of investors and looks like the europeans are still too dumb to catch on.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6QDLhOt9sYI

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Looks like the US inflation reduction act is having a big effect on the behavior of investors and looks like the europeans are still too dumb to catch on.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6QDLhOt9sYI

Europeans get it quite well, the EU legal structure requires unanimity to poo poo out something similar, and this is where German conservatives have hosed over everyone basically, in after the BFC. I hope a German goon can further expand on this, but tldr; version is that they have a constitutional clause against state borrowing now, which lends itself to Germany having to be dragged over coals for anything pertinent. If this was a matter of qualified majority, we would've already blasted out our equivalent because it's otherwise kind-of difficult to compete with Biden simply giving hundreds of billions away.