Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Norris'es are back baby. It's good again. Awoouu (fox Howl)

Koopa Kid posted:

I can’t believe that none of Marner’s teammates like him enough to have a frank discussion about this hat style, cause he’s been trying it for years and never made it work

https://twitter.com/yanoforsure/status/1621623121772945408?s=46&t=hpRKo2HnITHxJC9KHGFwBQ

what no ark of the covenant does to a mfer

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Furnaceface
Oct 21, 2004

Do they sill make every team send at least one player to the ASG? Who the hell do Arizona and Chicago send?

e: Vancouver too. At least Columbus can send Laine to sock dingers alongside Ovie.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer

Furnaceface posted:

Do they sill make every team send at least one player to the ASG? Who the hell do Arizona and Chicago send?

e: Vancouver too. At least Columbus can send Laine to sock dingers alongside Ovie.

Vancouver sent Horvat but traded him before the game so he’s in an Islanders jersey but representing the pacific division.

You love to see it.

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe
Threw a thread together if anyone is actually watching this and wants to poo poo post on it

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

another game at nationwide arena. everybody keeps asking me if they can fuck the cannon. buddy, they don't even let me fuck it

Furnaceface posted:

There's also that Gaudreau guy in Columbus who idk seems p good.

(Laine was on the last man in ballot.)

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

I don't need friends! I've been
manipulatin' you since the start!
All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

Furnaceface posted:

They got Seth Jones from Chicago lmao

Koopa Kid
Aug 21, 2007

Blackbelt Bobman posted:

Dom said that Jones has a lower Game Score (his dumb proprietary metric) this year than John Scott did the year he was an all star lmao

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

I don't need friends! I've been
manipulatin' you since the start!
All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

Oh I forgot they were going to include some of the women players! Hell yeah Hillary Knight is a boss rear end bitch

Furnaceface
Oct 21, 2004

Blackbelt Bobman posted:

Jesus if that is the bar why not just send Jack Johnson on one last hurrah for his farewell tour.

Wonderllama
Mar 15, 2003

anyone wanna andreyfuck?

Matt Zerella posted:

what no ark of the covenant does to a mfer

:discourse:

morningdrew
Jul 18, 2003

It's toe-tapping-ly tragic!

Furnaceface posted:

Trash talking or just being an rear end in a top hat? Because there are a few of the latter.

Can't find the gif but lol @ that one time Joe Thornton swept away one of the Sedin's helmets after talking to the ref

SilvergunSuperman
Aug 7, 2010

Man this sergei ovechkin poo poo is getting stupid

aejix
Sep 18, 2007

It's about finding that next group of core players we can win with in the next 6, 8, 10 years. Let's face it, it's hard for 20-, 21-, 22-year-olds to lead an NHL team. Look at the playoffs.

That quote is from fucking 2018. Fuck you Jim
Pillbug
Burrows getting a fine (I think?) for taunting Mike Richards about his coke habit by scraping up a bunch of ice onto his blade and pretending to snort it was pretty funny

Simplex
Jun 29, 2003

I don't know how the NHL has managed to make the Breakaway Challenge worse than the NBA Slam Dunk competition, but here we are. Both of them seem so simple in concept that they should be impossible to gently caress up.

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

Furnaceface posted:

Elias Pettersson is criminally underrated. He's on pace for 100pts and is a top quality two way forward. Plus he just won the hardest shot competition. If he was on a good team he'd been mentioned in the same breath as Barkov.

Quinn Hughes is 5th in the league for PPG for defencemen too.

The issue with the Canucks isn't "having all-star quality players" it's "having other players that are better than ECHL quality"

ThinkTank fucked around with this message at 14:57 on Feb 4, 2023

clean ayers act
Aug 13, 2007

How do I shot puck!?
im not sure ive ever seen an all star skills competition with so many players, ex players, and media openly calling it awful. t

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

ThinkTank posted:

Elias Pettersson is criminally underrated. He's on pace for 100pts and is a top quality two way forward. Plus he just won the hardest shot competition. If he was on a good team he'd been mentioned in the same breath as Barkov.

No idea how/if it could happen but I want him on the Rangers really bad. He's awesome.

MononcQc
May 29, 2007

https://twitter.com/taylorhaasepgh/status/1621707572377001985

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

The closest one is in Plattsburgh NY and it’s a 1 hour drive.

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

Matt Zerella posted:

No idea how/if it could happen but I want him on the Rangers really bad. He's awesome.

The Rangers probably just have the assets to put together a futures package for Pettersson, but the Canucks have made it pretty clear they're not going to do that. If they were intending to trade Pettersson for picks and prospects, why bother extending Kuzmenko? The Canucks would probably ask for Adam Fox and that's probably realistic value wise, but unless I've missed the Rangers suddenly deciding they needed a wholesale shakeup I can't imagine they'd want to do that.

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005
NGL, I really enjoyed the shooting at surfboards and the hockey golf events.

Also, it's bullshit that they didn't let any of the women do the fastest skater this time.

mennoknight
Nov 24, 2003

I WILL JUST EAT ONE MORE SANDWICH
OH MY HEAD EXPLORDED I'M JAY FATSTER

Aphrodite posted:

The closest one is in Plattsburgh NY and it’s a 1 hour drive.

probably easier for him to come to Ottawa and eat it at the big mall downtown. also he might get stabbed

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

ThinkTank posted:

The Rangers probably just have the assets to put together a futures package for Pettersson, but the Canucks have made it pretty clear they're not going to do that. If they were intending to trade Pettersson for picks and prospects, why bother extending Kuzmenko? The Canucks would probably ask for Adam Fox and that's probably realistic value wise, but unless I've missed the Rangers suddenly deciding they needed a wholesale shakeup I can't imagine they'd want to do that.

I think I'd be willing to part with Miller for him but not Fox. As much as I love Key, Fox goes nowhere unless he gets Leetched later on in his career.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

HookShot posted:

NGL, I really enjoyed the shooting at surfboards and the hockey golf events.

Also, it's bullshit that they didn't let any of the women do the fastest skater this time.

NHL doesn’t care about women’s hockey other than having them there as a token to make it look like they care.

That said, Sarah Nurse had an awesome goal and at least we got that.

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

Matt Zerella posted:

I think I'd be willing to part with Miller for him but not Fox. As much as I love Key, Fox goes nowhere unless he gets Leetched later on in his career.

A Pettersson trade would probably be akin to the Karlsson deal or (at worst) the ROR deal. A futures package probably begins with the Rangers 2 first round picks this year, one of Schneider or Miller and an A prospect. It's basically unheralded in the cap era for a team to trade a young franchise forward. The only one I can think of in recent years is Tkachuk and he returned a 100pt forward, a top pairing defenceman and a 1st round pick. If it hadn't been for that trade, I'd have said the odds of it even happening were non-existent.

Unless Petey asks out (which is entirely possible), he's not being moved. It seems the Canucks intend to name him the team's next captain as part of a full court press to get him signed long term. Of course, they could've saved themselves the trouble but just signing him to a max length deal for like $9M last time when he was fully open to it but of course Jim Benning just had to trade for OEL instead.

Darude - Adam Sandstorm
Aug 16, 2012

Who was the last star player that was healthy and traded mid contract, like not a year from UFA but with a lot of term. Eichel was injured so I don't wanna count him.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Darude - Adam Sandstorm posted:

Who was the last star player that was healthy and traded mid contract, like not a year from UFA but with a lot of term. Eichel was injured so I don't wanna count him.

PK Subban and Shea Weber.

Or if you want the spicier answer

Taylor Hall for Adam Larson.

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

Jeff Carter and Mike Richards on Mike Holmgren's banner day 13 years ago maybe?

Darude - Adam Sandstorm
Aug 16, 2012

Hell ya lets play the hits.

But that's kind of the point. Its been at least 7 years since trading a star player with term has happened. The NHL is so drat boring.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X

ThinkTank posted:

Jeff Carter and Mike Richards on Mike Holmgren's banner day 13 years ago maybe?

Mike Holmgren retired 15 years ago though? From a different sport?

But that's kind of the point. Its been at least 7 years since trading a star player with term has happened. The NHL is so drat boring.

The NHL is very drat boring but trading star players with term is not exactly commonplace in any sport

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

Luongo back to Florida qualifies I suppose, but there were a lot of extenuating circumstances there.

Thornton to the Sharks in 2006?

Eric the Mauve posted:

Mike Holmgren retired 15 years ago though? From a different sport?

lol I never made that connection before. I mean whacky Paul of course. We need more loose cannon GMs like him, everyone is way too cautious these days.

ThinkTank fucked around with this message at 18:02 on Feb 4, 2023

rex rabidorum vires
Mar 26, 2007

KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN
Does PLD for Laine/Jack Raslovik count? Might have been expiring RFAs but close enough?

Hand Knit
Oct 24, 2005

Beer Loses more than a game Sunday ...
We lost our Captain, our Teammate, our Friend Kelly Calabro...
Rest in Peace my friend you will be greatly missed..
While it involves being pretty wrong over how good the player is, the most recent example is probably Seth Jones to Chicago.

Darude - Adam Sandstorm
Aug 16, 2012

rex rabidorum vires posted:

Does PLD for Laine/Jack Raslovik count? Might have been expiring RFAs but close enough?

This is mostly what I was looking for and forgot about.

Hand Knit posted:

While it involves being pretty wrong over how good the player is, the most recent example is probably Seth Jones to Chicago.

I forgot about this cause hes not great but ya that would count.

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

This is mostly what I was looking for and forgot about.

Both Laine and PLD had signed two year bridge contracts with their old teams as a result of having quietly asked out.

Hand Knit posted:

Jones was set to be a UFA the season he was traded to Chicago. He had six months left on his rookie deal when he was traded to Columbus.

clean ayers act
Aug 13, 2007

How do I shot puck!?
https://twitter.com/TheAthleticNHL/status/1621907806155587589?s=20
jesus

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

That's a lot of snakes

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X
Why did it have to be $27.3 million

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
Indiana Jones is rolling in his grave

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Darude - Adam Sandstorm
Aug 16, 2012

ThinkTank posted:

Both Laine and PLD had signed two year bridge contracts with their old teams as a result of having quietly asked out.

Jones was set to be a UFA the season he was traded to Chicago. He had six months left on his rookie deal when he was traded to Columbus.

Oh ya i forgot about Jones about to be a UFA so that doesn't count. Laine/PLD is maybe close? But still not quite what i was looking for.

Like i said GMs in the NHL are cowards.