Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Wearer of Compasses. Slayer of Gods. Champion of the Colosseum. Heart of the Void.
Saviour of Hallownest.

Natural 20 posted:

Eh, gameplay wise the crest of Seiros gives Raging Storm which is more powerful than any emblem effect by miles.

Also like Atrocity and Fallen Star are both loving bonkers.

Case in point, in Engage, Atrocity and Fallen Star are loving bonkers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Small UI nitpick: I wish the Engrave UI at the smith showed you which of your engraves were already on another weapon before you got to the confirmation prompts. Just like a little weapon icon on the ones that are already applied would be nice.

Harrow fucked around with this message at 16:41 on Feb 4, 2023

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
Watching blind maddening and the endgame team was the literal last 5 characters, especially lindon, kagetsu, louis, no bow characters, and the only caster was a mag 42 dire thunder anna.

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon

Harrow posted:

Listen I'm the guy who, push comes to shove, marginally prefers Persona to SMT (don't tell nobody) so I can understand people preferring Three Houses. I don't think they're being in any way disingenuous or lazy to have that opinion, it's a valid opinion that I happen to disagree with.

Coward.

SMT is good, but Persona is incredible and it's entirely because it makes you spend more time herding a gaggle of idiots than engaging with the gameplay, and you shouldn't care who knows it.

Engage is an all around solid game with really good tactical gameplay, but it will never have the Black Eagles and you'll eventually forget about the former when next you play a good video game, while the latter will stay with you for life.

Harrow posted:

I'd also like to know more about religion in this setting but I suspect some of that is in supports I haven't seen yet. I'm especially curious about the Fell Dragon religion and why a seemingly otherwise good person like Mauvier would become the Fell Dragon version of Vander, like what does the religion actually offer? What draws people to worship the Fell Dragon that isn't just "I'm evil lol"?

I think in that specific case he met Veyle and decided that she was deserving of undying loyalty, which I totally get, while in general it was just a regular old religion before Sombron was revived and nobody was doing anything particular evil in his name. Like, it was just a community, and worship was like having a monolatric patron deity like Apollo in Sparta or Anu in Uruk; your god is kind of a moody prick, but he looks out for you, so you'll happily offer up a goat or some wheat or whatever when you visit the temple.

Erg
Oct 31, 2010

Zulily Zoetrope posted:

Engage is an all around solid game with really good tactical gameplay, but it will never have the Black Eagles and you'll eventually forget about the former when next you play a good video game, while the latter will stay with you for life.

i fear that i will have to stop posting on the forums if i ever want to stop being reminded of them

Sleng Teng
May 3, 2009

Zulily Zoetrope posted:

SMT is good, but Persona is incredible and it's entirely because it makes you spend more time herding a gaggle of idiots than engaging with the gameplay, and you shouldn't care who knows it.

Uhh. Definitely none of this for me lol.

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

Zulily Zoetrope posted:

I've played 3H five times and I've forgotten every Black Eagle who isn't Edelgard, Hubert, Dorothea, or Petra and the only reason I remember Petra is because she talks like Starfire from Teen Titans.

Dr. Cool Aids
Jul 6, 2009

Zulily Zoetrope posted:

the end sounds like a threat

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Wearer of Compasses. Slayer of Gods. Champion of the Colosseum. Heart of the Void.
Saviour of Hallownest.

Funky Valentine posted:

I've played 3H five times and I've forgotten every Black Eagle who isn't Edelgard, Hubert, Dorothea, or Petra and the only reason I remember Petra is because she talks like Starfire from Teen Titans.

You have successfully remembered half the house.

FrickenMoron
May 6, 2009

Good game!
Time to make a spinoff series that focuses more on the social stuff and call it Free Spouses.

hopeandjoy
Nov 28, 2014

Dr. Cool Aids posted:

Sleng Teng
May 3, 2009

Dr. Cool Aids posted:

Lol. Haunted by the ghosts of dimitri past, claude present and edelgard future.

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

Just imagine booting up Dwarf Fortress and immediately hearing every single Edelgard crit quote playing all at once in your head.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Zulily Zoetrope posted:

Actually the wild thing is that I think I would enjoy Persona 5 nearly as much if it was nothing but the dungeon crawling and combat because they both absolutely slap in that game

RME
Feb 20, 2012

I’m not sure we need to put too much stock in reviewers averages when they seem naturally repellent to fire emblem in impressive ways. Lest we forget that one that complained the saizo was impossible to use because the only part of the battle preview they would use was the expression on characters portraits

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

reviewers are just suckers for that social sim crap

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

I will never log offshut up.

So am I. The tactical gameplay is fun, but the character stuff is just as important. There aren't even paired endings in this one, despite how obvious it is that Diamant and Alfred should kiss!

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009

GateOfD posted:

trying Sigurd's paralogue

hmm...doesn't seem too bad
then the bridge drops and like 20 reinforcements pop out....the gently caress...
at least he rode to me though

Had the same experience there, and a similar one with Celica's paralogue she Warp Ragnarok'd herself badly out of position to do like 8 damage to Ivy

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

I mean I liked three houses and all but I just looked up what happens in the other routes because the game's glacial pacing made me dread the prospect of a 2nd playthrough

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled
Engage's greatest strength is its gameplay design, and as mentioned upthread, most publication reviewers are going to be playing the game on normal/casual because 1. they're trying to get through the game ASAP because they have an endless grind of games to review and 2. it's the difficulty labeled "normal". Engage's careful attention to map/class balance and the enormous breadth of combat tools the emblem system gives you access to are minimal to irrelevant on those settings because you don't really need to think super hard about how to leverage all that to win.

Harrow posted:

Actually the wild thing is that I think I would enjoy Persona 5 nearly as much if it was nothing but the dungeon crawling and combat because they both absolutely slap in that game

I tried P5R to see what the hubbub was about after not playing a Persona game since Persona 1's original PSX release and thought the actual act of playing the game in dungeons was pretty fun but I got so loving exhausted at the cast and all the incredibly shallow but enormously time wasting school/life sim stuff that I flamed out hard and bailed at about the 30 hour mark, so I concur. Ironically, since I played P5R substantially after 3H, one of my gut reactions was "oh christ this is just like the monastery except even more bloated".

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Augus posted:

reviewers are just suckers for that social sim crap

That 'social sim crap' has been a prominent part of every successful modern FE game.

I mean, I'm having a good time with Engage, but I'm also mashing the + key to skip cutscenes because I have little patience for this dreck.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

Awakening, Fates, and Echoes didn't really have much "social sim" stuff. You had mostly standard supports with a side of romance/eugenics in the case of Awakening and Fates(which isn't new to the series, it was a huge part of FE4), and Fates had the face touching minigame.

3H was the first game to do the whole "hang out with everyone in a big permanent base and go fishing and have meals with them and make them all your friends" stuff.

The only thing Engage is missing from the social aspect that Awakening and Fates had is romance/children(and face touching, I guess, but now we have RING POLISHING).

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Saviour of Hallownest.
The thing it's missing from Awakening is the ability to get support points.

And honestly S supports and paired endings being absent is genuinely a huge downer.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

Cythereal posted:

That 'social sim crap' has been a prominent part of every successful modern FE game.

I mean, I'm having a good time with Engage, but I'm also mashing the + key to skip cutscenes because I have little patience for this dreck.

this game has more social sim crap than the majority of FE games lol
if your problem is that you instantly projectile vomit at the cutscenes and conversations with these characters I don't think more poo poo for you to mash + through would've changed your mind

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

I hate these characters and this story, WHY DOES THE GAME NOT GIVE ME MORE THINGS TO FORCE MYSELF TO DO WITH THEM

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

Augus posted:

if your problem is that you instantly projectile vomit at the cutscenes and conversations with these characters I don't think more poo poo for you to mash + through would've changed your mind

Yeah I really don't see "I hate all of these characters and this story is dumb cartoon bullshit for babies" being made notably better by being able to make the characters you can't stand kiss.

I would have thought Fates was a pretty good example of why it's not necessarily a good idea to crowbar something in on the support end of things just because a previous game had it and it was popular.

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

You can polish Sigurd's ring, what more do you people want?

FrickenMoron
May 6, 2009

Good game!

Cythereal posted:

Your loss imo, If I had that little patience for a game like this i'd just drop it.

Also, does anyone have the enemy placement for this skirmish map? I'm afraid..

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

I will never log offshut up.

The bad thing in Fates was the hyperbolic baby chamber, not that you could get characters to marry. Though I personally rather like Conquest's cast.

FrickenMoron posted:

Your loss imo, If I had that little patience for a game like this i'd just drop it.

Also, does anyone have the enemy placement for this skirmish map? I'm afraid..

Pray. Here's a hint, they're all flyers.

Hellioning
Jun 27, 2008

There's already too much random stuff to do in the Somniel as is, we do not need more.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Augus posted:

Eh. My view is that I actually mostly like the supports and hanging around the base. It's just the actual plain plot that I think is dumb as hell.

Which is kinda how I felt about Three Houses at the end. Great characters in a not great story.

And the tactical gameplay is pretty fun.

Overall, I'm satisfied. It's stupid but fun and the really bad stuff has a dedicated button to skip through it.

FrickenMoron
May 6, 2009

Good game!
Skipping story after the Solm arc would absolutely do you a disservice imo.

Smiling Knight
May 31, 2011

As someone who has been lukewarm on the character writing so far, the boss dialogue in Chapter 10 between Alcryst, Diarmant, and zombie Morion was very good. Excellent characterization and pathos in just a few lines.

ROFL Octopus
Jun 20, 2014

LET ME EXPLAIN

Story- and characters-wise it feels like a fourth GBA game, which is something I’ve wanted for a while. The game mechanics are just a lot more badass.

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
I mean it's not a contradictory opinion that the main plot is stupid and a lot of plot scenes are bad, but the supports are good, and wanting more of the latter.

Personally I really liked the third act and could take or leave most of the first two, but the real story gold is when you hit a support like Panette/Yunaka B or Framme/Goldmary B.

Kanos posted:

I tried P5R to see what the hubbub was about after not playing a Persona game since Persona 1's original PSX release and thought the actual act of playing the game in dungeons was pretty fun but I got so loving exhausted at the cast and all the incredibly shallow but enormously time wasting school/life sim stuff that I flamed out hard and bailed at about the 30 hour mark, so I concur. Ironically, since I played P5R substantially after 3H, one of my gut reactions was "oh christ this is just like the monastery except even more bloated".

That's exactly what Persona 5 is and it rules. I love the Phantom Thieves even more than I love the Black Eagles, and as I may have mentioned, I'm quite fond of those.

Carlosologist
Oct 13, 2013

Revelry in the Dark

For forge material shenanigans, does it matter what kind of dog you have out on the farm?

Einander
Sep 14, 2008

"Yeh've forged a magnificent sword."

"This one's only practice. The real sword I intend to forge will be three times longer."

"Can there really be a sword as monstrous as that in this world?"

"Yes. I can see that sword... Somewhere out there..."

Harrow posted:

I'd really love to know more about Engage's setting. I enjoy the idea of it being a world that just sits in this weird nexus between all the other Fire Emblem worlds and has echoes of their geography and at some point in the past created rings that spiritually mimic legendary heroes from those other worlds. It's a cool concept that is fun to speculate about but would be cool to actually have a bit more in-game about.

I'd also like to know more about religion in this setting but I suspect some of that is in supports I haven't seen yet. I'm especially curious about the Fell Dragon religion and why a seemingly otherwise good person like Mauvier would become the Fell Dragon version of Vander, like what does the religion actually offer? What draws people to worship the Fell Dragon that isn't just "I'm evil lol"?

The theme that keeps coming up around the Hounds is "they gave us a place to belong" and they're the only real members we see, so I assume they're supposed to be representative. So yeah, the answer is probably "you're raised into it." Which is pretty realistic, for an evil dragon cult.

Zulily Zoetrope posted:

Coward.

I think in that specific case he met Veyle and decided that she was deserving of undying loyalty, which I totally get, while in general it was just a regular old religion before Sombron was revived and nobody was doing anything particular evil in his name. Like, it was just a community, and worship was like having a monolatric patron deity like Apollo in Sparta or Anu in Uruk; your god is kind of a moody prick, but he looks out for you, so you'll happily offer up a goat or some wheat or whatever when you visit the temple.

One thing about it that's decidedly non-normal: IIRC doesn't Griss talk about people "dedicating his pain to Lord Sombron" or something in a way that suggests his whole combat masochism thing is an actual institution in the Fell Dragon cult, not just a weird personal quirk? Because that's definitely strong evil religion vibes right there.

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

ASK ME ABOUT KISSING A GHOST

Carlosologist posted:

For forge material shenanigans, does it matter what kind of dog you have out on the farm?

Nope.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

You know it never fails to make me laugh that the enemy AI seems to understand how Great Aether works because they absolutely love to wait until the very last attack to use a smash weapon to knock Panette back so she misses everyone, it's pretty amusing

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xalidur
Jun 4, 2012

I am an Engage lover and defender who would put Three Houses in the bottom half of FEs as a total package, but even with this status I do really wish Engage had paired endings. FE7 had them in 2003 for goodness' sake. I don't need the full barrage of social sim elements (and would largely prefer not to have them) but it's very important that I decide who my soldiers marry after the war.