Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes
I find it easy to look at the flip side: for every human vs human match that happens, if the game is trying to somehow rig it so one of those players has to lose they're necessarily rigging it so that one of the other players has to win, and if that WAS the case you personally would be the person in either scenario in roughly equal measure

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MissMarple
Aug 26, 2008

:ms:

Granstein posted:

The reason all the conspiracy theories in this thread make me laugh is because it takes about five seconds of critical thought to see how stupid they are.

Like, in all seriousness, why would the game want you to have mirror matches? Even if they were rigging matchmaking in some way, which I seriously loving doubt, why would they rig it for mirror matches specifically? So you can see all those cool cards you....already own, and aren't tempted to spend any money to try and get? To try and get variants that you have virtually no control over ever seeing in the shop? Like honestly, why would you ever believe this might be true?
Not that I want to lend credence to it because I also severely doubt it (and there was that guy that did 100 top tier meta deck matches and 100 series 2 deck and it was basically the same mix of opponents) but ....
Two reasonable reasons would be a) When it generated a bot match it needs to give that bot a deck and so does that by finding one that is 80% the same so it's an evenish match and also maybe you get inspired to make a change or b) Each individual card is being given some kind of meta/ELO/value rating and it's using that so that jank gets to play jank - and the mirrors are a natural result of those decks having similar overall ratings

Granstein
May 22, 2006

Accuse children card game celebrities of adultery and I will not shut the fuck up about it. LSV did not cheat on his wife. He found love in another woman's vagina like Garfield intended.

MissMarple posted:

Not that I want to lend credence to it because I also severely doubt it (and there was that guy that did 100 top tier meta deck matches and 100 series 2 deck and it was basically the same mix of opponents) but ....
Two reasonable reasons would be a) When it generated a bot match it needs to give that bot a deck and so does that by finding one that is 80% the same so it's an evenish match and also maybe you get inspired to make a change or b) Each individual card is being given some kind of meta/ELO/value rating and it's using that so that jank gets to play jank - and the mirrors are a natural result of those decks having similar overall ratings

I'd be pretty shocked if the bots weren't assigned static decks.The doesn't seem to be any reason to make that more complex than it needs to be. I'll fully admit I could be wrong about that and there's some specific reason they'd want bots to have access to multiple decks, but it seems a silly thing to do for something that's mostly there to facilitate quick matchmaking.

As for the second point, I don't think there's any way you could make that work in a game where the value of an individual card is completely different depending on the other cards in the deck. Zabu is arguably the best card in the format, but he's pretty fuckin bad if you put him in a deck with no four drops. That's maybe a poor example since no one would reasonably do that, so lets say...Cyclops. Complete trash in most decks, but kind of an all star in surfer/patriot lists. How could you ever accurately rate that card in a general sense? He sucks until he doesn't, so where does his value rating fall? You could possibly change the value of the card depending on whether or not certain other cards are also in the deck, but that's a really complex pain in the rear end thing to do, with moving parts every single time you release new cards, when you could instead just...not do it, and match people roughly based on their ratings. Which I'm 99% sure is what they do.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna
Well we do know that they track not only card stats but deck archetypes performance as well. They know both the win rates and the cube gain average.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

HA! HA! NICE! WHAT A TOOL!

Granstein posted:

The reason all the conspiracy theories in this thread make me laugh is because it takes about five seconds of critical thought to see how stupid they are.

Like, in all seriousness, why would the game want you to have mirror matches? Even if they were rigging matchmaking in some way, which I seriously loving doubt, why would they rig it for mirror matches specifically? So you can see all those cool cards you....already own, and aren't tempted to spend any money to try and get? To try and get variants that you have virtually no control over ever seeing in the shop? Like honestly, why would you ever believe this might be true?
Because it's literally happened in other games. MTG Arena attempts to match in their unranked mode based on deck strength which promoted lots of mirror matches. They even called out that their system led to lots of mirror matches in their own blog post:

quote:

We're adding a new, unranked best-of-one format to replace our previous Ladder Play option. This event will primarily look at one of the new MMR categories we've designated to be used specifically for unranked events: Open Play MMR. Once the queue has matched players within a similar Open Play MMR range, we'll do a secondary check that takes into consideration they deck they're playing. This new system should ensure that players are more accurately matched on both their skill and deck strength, while hopefully cutting down on the amount of mirror matches since MMR and Deck are two independent checks (instead of tied together, as they were previously).

I've also only seen the suggestion that deck strength matching is occurring in MTG Arena (where it was occurring) and this game. It's not a common card game complaint, I never saw anyone suggest it was occurring in Hearthstone, Gwent, or Eternal back in the day.

MissMarple
Aug 26, 2008

:ms:

No Wave posted:

I've also only seen the suggestion that deck strength matching is occurring in MTG Arena (where it was occurring) and this game. It's not a common card game complaint, I never saw anyone suggest it was occurring in Hearthstone, Gwent, or Eternal back in the day.
If anything, the more usual complaint is "everyone is just running <meta deck> even in Unranked this sucks"

doingitwrong
Jul 27, 2013

Vulpes posted:

I am amazed that nobody ever talks about the weird matchmaking in this game.

When evaluating your pattern detecting abilities in the future, you might want to remember that people actually constantly talk about matchmaking in this game. It’s a regular topic in this thread and in the community in general.

Vulpes posted:

It’s just so blatant when you switch decks that you're suddenly being matched against a completely different set of people, and the matchmaking heavily favors mirror matches or similar decks. It's just so far beyond possibly being confirmation/observation bias.

Has Second Dinner ever spoken about this?
They say they do not do this.

quote:

Q: Does the matchmaking use machine learning?
A: Ben Brode “No, the matchmaker cannot see your deck, nor does it use machine learning”
https://marvelsnapzone.com/developer-update-for-the-week-of-january-18-2023/

But. They do some weird stuff too.

quote:

Q: Can we get some more solid information about matchmaking? I got matched up at rank 68 to someone who is already infinite for the season (they had the title). If the system is based primarily on MMR, why not just use that and get rid of ranks altogether?

A: Ben Brode “We use MMR to some extent, but we also feed you some weak players so that you are likely to be able to reach the rank you belong at”
https://marvelsnapzone.com/developer-update-for-the-week-of-january-5-2023-savage-land-edition/

So lots of room for keeping your conspiracy theories alive.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

doingitwrong posted:

When evaluating your pattern detecting abilities in the future, you might want to remember that people actually constantly talk about matchmaking in this game. It’s a regular topic in this thread and in the community in general.

They say they do not do this.

https://marvelsnapzone.com/developer-update-for-the-week-of-january-18-2023/

But. They do some weird stuff too.

https://marvelsnapzone.com/developer-update-for-the-week-of-january-5-2023-savage-land-edition/

So lots of room for keeping your conspiracy theories alive.
"Feed you some weak players" was supposed to mean bots I think but the devs are shy about the bot talk. I regularly get fed bots until rank 80.

Network42
Oct 23, 2002
It's pretty mathematically obvious the all the games I win are because of my amazing 200iq plays completely outsmarting my human opponents, and all the games I lose are bots that generate whatever cards they need to win.

sirtommygunn
Mar 7, 2013

Playing against a destroy deck, the three worlds are Vormir, Death's Domain, and Murderworld, lmfao

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes

No Wave posted:

"Feed you some weak players" was supposed to mean bots I think but the devs are shy about the bot talk. I regularly get fed bots until rank 80.

no, it probably means what it says: you get given people under your target mmr while the game is trying to figure out your placement

Bad Video Games
Sep 17, 2017

I think I'm done for the rest of the season, maybe for good. The game has been really doing a number on my self esteem the last few days and I just haven't been enjoying it the last week or so. Maybe I'll come back to it in the next season, but I need to step away for a while. Have fun and good luck to anyone still climbing.

Aghama
Jul 24, 2002

We eat fish, tossed salads

RevKrule posted:

It's absolutely insane this guy has an inkified Galactus. Touch some grass dude.

(Middle location was Mindscape)

Kaddish
Feb 7, 2002
Yeah, sometimes you just have to put the game down if you're the type to take losses personally or if it impacts your psyche or whatever.

I've lost or retreated on every game I played this morning. I'll probably pick it back up in a couple of hours, though because I can't max my missions, damnit.

Bad Video Games
Sep 17, 2017

Kaddish posted:

Yeah, sometimes you just have to put the game down if you're the type to take losses personally or if it impacts your psyche or whatever.

I've lost or retreated on every game I played this morning. I'll probably pick it back up in a couple of hours, though because I can't max my missions, damnit.

It's honestly starting to feel like real life gambling and it's not fun. Maybe it's because I whaled a little, I don't know. Maybe I'll make a new f2p account next season and not buy any bundles or season passes. I barely even remember being in Pool 2 since I went from 0 to entering Pool 3 in a span of 2 weeks. I'm not sure what the answer is, but I can't keep doing what I am.

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

Walla posted:

It's honestly starting to feel like real life gambling and it's not fun. Maybe it's because I whaled a little, I don't know. Maybe I'll make a new f2p account next season and not buy any bundles or season passes. I barely even remember being in Pool 2 since I went from 0 to entering Pool 3 in a span of 2 weeks. I'm not sure what the answer is, but I can't keep doing what I am.

Yeah I basically stopped playing except to clear out my dailies once I realized how much time I spend "playing" this game just dead-eyed staring at the screen unhappily hitting the button to play another match

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Tender Bender posted:

Yeah I basically stopped playing except to clear out my dailies once I realized how much time I spend "playing" this game just dead-eyed staring at the screen unhappily hitting the button to play another match

You don't even need to do your dailies. :ssh:

Push El Burrito
May 9, 2006

Soiled Meat
Turn 1, fill hand with random cards, turn 2, it gives me Agatha, who loses the game for me. I still snapped though, I trusted her.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

New theory: at least on the PC client season cache rng is bugged. If you open a bunch in a row and the first one is boosters the rest will be boosters. And if the first one is non-booster the rest will be non-booster. Play a game to reroll your seed. Will continue to test in the upcoming months.

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes

No Wave posted:

New theory: at least on the PC client season cache rng is bugged. If you open a bunch in a row and the first one is boosters the rest will be boosters. And if the first one is non-booster the rest will be non-booster. Play a game to reroll your seed. Will continue to test in the upcoming months.

i opened several earlier and got a mix of boosters, credits, and gold

Granstein
May 22, 2006

Accuse children card game celebrities of adultery and I will not shut the fuck up about it. LSV did not cheat on his wife. He found love in another woman's vagina like Garfield intended.

No Wave posted:

Because it's literally happened in other games. MTG Arena attempts to match in their unranked mode based on deck strength which promoted lots of mirror matches. They even called out that their system led to lots of mirror matches in their own blog post:

That quote specifically mentioned that the changes were going to -lessen- mirror matches though, which they wouldn't be trying to do if they didn't find them to be somewhat detrimental. There's no way any dev would be doing something to intentionally increase them, which was the claim.

I hadn't seen the deck strength thing before, the only shenanigans I'd ever heard about with MTGA were the hidden land drop smoother (Which they were totally open about, and was probably a good idea imo). I'm assuming the deck strength part of their matchmaking is purely for unranked mode?

Snazzy Frocks
Mar 31, 2003

Scratchmo
All I can say for certain is that before 80 it was a healthy mix of people and bots that popped up quickly. After 80 it took a while to get games and often with the same people over and over unless I or maybe they queue dodged. Maybe one in 5 games after 80 I could suspect were bots.

This is for 247 CL if that matters

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

Granstein posted:

That quote specifically mentioned that the changes were going to -lessen- mirror matches though, which they wouldn't be trying to do if they didn't find them to be somewhat detrimental. There's no way any dev would be doing something to intentionally increase them, which was the claim.

I hadn't seen the deck strength thing before, the only shenanigans I'd ever heard about with MTGA were the hidden land drop smoother (Which they were totally open about, and was probably a good idea imo). I'm assuming the deck strength part of their matchmaking is purely for unranked mode?
Correct - I don't think anyone was saying that mirror matches were being intentionally forced, they would be a side effect of other matching algorithms. But in any case the SNAP devs claim to only use MMR, rank, and at some levels CL to match.

Kaddish
Feb 7, 2002

Snazzy Frocks posted:

All I can say for certain is that before 80 it was a healthy mix of people and bots that popped up quickly. After 80 it took a while to get games and often with the same people over and over unless I or maybe they queue dodged. Maybe one in 5 games after 80 I could suspect were bots.

This is for 247 CL if that matters

I'm going to venture a guess and say that CL 247 is incredibly low for rank 80+. CL 247 is like a few days of playing the game leisurely. I would think you'd have to really try and restrict card upgrades to achieve that ratio.

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes

Granstein posted:

the deck strength thing was only for play matches (unranked, so you want see other way to keep people from getting too stomped)

the land drop thing, for further clarification, was just that when you get your opening hand presented to you *in a best of one match* it silently actually drew two hands and gave you whichever one had a better lands to spells ratio (based somewhat on the ratio of your deck in construction).

once you keep that hand or you mulligan it away, nothing else is smoothed out (despite people speculating otherwise)

JackDarko
Sep 30, 2009

"Amala, I've got a chainsaw on my arm. I'll be fine."
I had the most fun in Pool 1 and Pool 2 before I took the game seriously. Knowing all the cards and making my own decks was the first time I’ve felt competent at a card game.

I’m back to having more fun by not giving a poo poo and playing for collection levels to hopefully get Shuri or Galactus so I can be good at the game again.

JackDarko fucked around with this message at 17:46 on Feb 4, 2023

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

I had fun sweating at the game until series 5 released. Now it's just daily logins hoping a day comes where all the best decks don't rely on series 5 cards (I'm actually a little optimistic every S5 since darkhawk has been a sometimes card).

buffalo all day
Mar 13, 2019

the thanos meta is coming…I want to believe….

buffalo all day
Mar 13, 2019

played control sera vs darkhawk zabu this am and dropped enchantress and Shang chi t6 in two lanes, wiping a darkhawk and a mystique, crushing the other guy in all three lanes. It was beautiful

I edited my standard list a bit since I finally got Titania, this puts out an insane amount of t6 power especially if you can get zabu and sera online- you can drop Titania, mysterio, Drax, Maximus and Shang/enchantress all on t6 for like 28 power plus wiping your enemy’s best card

# (1) Titania
# (2) Angela
# (2) Scarlet Witch
# (2) Sentinel
# (2) Mysterio
# (3) Bishop
# (3) Zabu
# (3) Maximus
# (4) Shang-Chi
# (4) Enchantress
# (4) Drax
# (5) Sera
#
eyJDYXJkcyI6W3siQ2FyZERlZklkIjoiQW5nZWxhIn0seyJDYXJkRGVmSWQiOiJTY2FybGV0V2l0Y2gifSx7IkNhcmREZWZJZCI6IlNlbnRpbmVsIn0seyJDYXJkRGVmSWQiOiJNeXN0ZXJpbyJ9LHsiQ2FyZERlZklkIjoiQmlzaG9wIn0seyJDYXJkRGVmSWQiOiJTaGFuZ0NoaSJ9LHsiQ2FyZERlZklkIjoiRW5jaGFudHJlc3MifSx7IkNhcmREZWZJZCI6IlNlcmEifSx7IkNhcmREZWZJZCI6IkRyYXgifSx7IkNhcmREZWZJZCI6IlphYnUifSx7IkNhcmREZWZJZCI6IlRpdGFuaWEifSx7IkNhcmREZWZJZCI6Ik1heGltdXMifV19
#
# To use this deck, copy it to your clipboard and paste it from the deck editing menu in Snap.

buffalo all day fucked around with this message at 18:06 on Feb 4, 2023

Granstein
May 22, 2006

Yeah, as much as I enjoy the game I've never really gotten super competitive about it like I have with others. I hit legend in hearthstone a few times, and diamond or so in MTGA, but I have no desire to play the number of games it would take to do the same in snap. It's very much a "Play for half an hour then go do something else" game for me at the moment- Which I honestly think was what they were going for. I think deck collection would be totally different if they wanted to game to be played competitively at the same level as something like hearthstone.

I would definitely get competitive with a draft mode though. They could legit inject that directly in to my veins when it's ready (If they're even working on one, which I haven't heard them mention at all).

Gaussian
Sep 20, 2001

I'll give you a box of chocolates if you kill me.

Nap Ghost
If I want to do a Typhoid Mary/Enchantress combo, does the order I play the cards in matter? I swear I've played both orders TM/Ench and Ench/TM and get the debuff from TM both times, although maybe I'm not remembering correctly.

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

A huge part of the balance of decks is snap when you should and retreat when you should. You can “win” 30% of your games and keep ranking up

I am very bad at snapping correctly lol

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes

THE AWESOME GHOST posted:

A huge part of the balance of decks is snap when you should and retreat when you should. You can “win” 30% of your games and keep ranking up

I am very bad at snapping correctly lol

yeah, getting the fairly significant difference between win rate and cube rate straight in your head is pretty huge imo

Hobo Clown
Oct 16, 2012

Here it is, Baby.
Your killer track.

Gaussian posted:

If I want to do a Typhoid Mary/Enchantress combo, does the order I play the cards in matter? I swear I've played both orders TM/Ench and Ench/TM and get the debuff from TM both times, although maybe I'm not remembering correctly.

Enchantress power is On Reveal so you'd want to play her second

Gaussian
Sep 20, 2001

I'll give you a box of chocolates if you kill me.

Nap Ghost

Hobo Clown posted:

Enchantress power is On Reveal so you'd want to play her second

I must have been remembering wrong, so thank you for the clarification!

New Leaf
Jul 24, 2013

Dragon Balls? Are they tasty?
You'd think as much as I play I'd be better at it but no, my poor brain can't think too far ahead. It's great for bullshitting during work and while watching stuff that doesn't require my undivided attention so it keeps me playing. There's nothing else mobile I'd rather play right now so why not.

Snazzy Frocks
Mar 31, 2003

Scratchmo

Kaddish posted:

I'm going to venture a guess and say that CL 247 is incredibly low for rank 80+. CL 247 is like a few days of playing the game leisurely. I would think you'd have to really try and restrict card upgrades to achieve that ratio.

I should be at 354 if I blew through my stores. I just don't want to see any pool 3 stuff while I don't have access to any of it

Fate Accomplice
Nov 30, 2006

I just scored "win a location with 20 or more power."

I played nightcrawler on turn 1, and my opponent retreated on turn 2 before I could play anything.

Tom Smykowski
Jan 27, 2005

What the hell is wrong with you people?

New Leaf posted:

You'd think as much as I play I'd be better at it but no, my poor brain can't think too far ahead. It's great for bullshitting during work and while watching stuff that doesn't require my undivided attention so it keeps me playing. There's nothing else mobile I'd rather play right now so why not.
Same.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kaddish
Feb 7, 2002

Snazzy Frocks posted:

I should be at 354 if I blew through my stores. I just don't want to see any pool 3 stuff while I don't have access to any of it

Yeah, I'm just saying that I don't know how matchmaking works, because no one really does, but I'm not surprised it takes a few seconds to find a match above rank 80 if your cl is in the 200's, assuming there is a least some weight to CL in matchmaking.

Edit - Before I found out the hard way, Abs Man will copy Venom right?

Kaddish fucked around with this message at 20:27 on Feb 4, 2023