Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Wearer of Compasses. Slayer of Gods. Champion of the Colosseum. Heart of the Void.
Saviour of Hallownest.

Augus posted:

uh yeah dude I think this is pretty firmly a “your playstyle” problem lmao

And what? My opinion suddenly stops being valid because I beat a map on a weird way? gently caress right off with that.

"Can you elaborate on your statement?"
"Sure."
"Why on earth would you elaborate on your statement?"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jimmydalad
Sep 26, 2013

My face when others are unable to appreciate the :kazooieass:

AGDQ 2018 Awful Block Survivor
The fact that skirmishes can be Fog of War maps is another "gently caress you" by the developers and I have to admit, I appreciate it. The devs have given you bullshit and expect you to exploit that bullshit to great extent. It's refreshing, in a way, to have a Fire Emblem that seems gleeful about sprouting incredibly mean traps or challenges on you.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
I would like to say, not because I want to start and argument, but because I don't want that post to be the only one people see about maddening:

I have had basically the opposite experience wrt the tactical depth and rewarded strategies on madenning as nat20 basically from the word go. The only part of that post which is true for me is the part about most characters not one-rounding, which makes it more satisfying when you do clear out the enemies, to me.

to me, it feels like a less-extreme version of the DS games. Almost nobody is one-rounding (or if they do, it's against enemies that they have a strong advantage against); almost nobody is surviving two rounds of combat (or if they are, it's barely, and requires carefully setting up). But those two taken in concert mean you can't ever face two waves of enemies at the same time, so you have to use the tools you do have to piece together a win despite that. I found turtling to be almost unviable because you have very little control over which enemies engage you when if you aren't pushing forwards, and the reinforcements serve as a great soft-timer on maps. The continuous puzzle of finding a way to kill the current pack of enemies while setting up a survivable enemy phase against the next pack (due to overlapping ranges) without slowing down to a crawl and getting overwhelmed has been a delight; I haven't had this much fun with a highest difficulty since new mystery.

cheetah7071 fucked around with this message at 19:56 on Feb 4, 2023

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

Natural 20 posted:

And what? My opinion suddenly stops being valid because I beat a map on a weird way? gently caress right off with that.

What characters did you use because I have definitely seen a hell of a lot more reliable one-rounders than you listed. And there's no stat variance in Maddening this time around

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

I will never log offshut up.

Cheetah what you said about this being Awakening+ is interesting from my perspective given I loathe Awakening but did enjoy this game despite its shortcomings. The key I think is in how the supports do more like the second gen characters to make them more rounded, while my memories of Awakening are its horrible first gen who I hate.

Engage has plenty of characters I'd put on that tier but that it has ones I like immediately makes it better than Awakening. Also it has good gameplay.

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Wearer of Compasses. Slayer of Gods. Champion of the Colosseum. Heart of the Void.
Saviour of Hallownest.

I think the difference between us is that I view the exact thing you talk about as a fundamentally defensive and turtley experience, where you view it as aggressive because you can't sit back.

Clearing one pack at a time is a glacial pace for me, more appropriate for a trpg in the vein of Triangle strategy.

Zore posted:

What characters did you use because I have definitely seen a hell of a lot more reliable one-rounders than you listed. And there's no stat variance in Maddening this time around

Panette
Citrinne
Seadall

Kagetsu
Yunaka
Anna
Chloe

Rosado
Alear

Alcryst
Celine
Ivy
Jean
Louis

Broadly grouped by killing power.

CharlestonJew
Jul 7, 2011

Illegal Hen
I've felt pretty sufficiently challenged on Hard, especially with some of the late game and paralogue maps. IntSys if you're reading this please don't make the next one too much harder than this thanks

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

Natural 20 posted:

"Can you elaborate on your statement?"
"Sure."
"Why on earth would you elaborate on your statement?"

im saying that you shouldn’t complain about the boring and unfun playstyle that you forced on yourself despite the game actively discouraging it.

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Saviour of Hallownest.

Augus posted:

im saying that you shouldn’t complain about the boring and unfun playstyle that you forced on yourself despite the game actively discouraging it.

So how does the game encourage or discourage things?

Like the way it does so is through success or failure.

If I'm succeeding at everything easily then I don't think it's fair to say the game is doing a good job of discouraging my strategies. Right?

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

Natural 20 posted:

If I'm succeeding at everything easily then I don't think it's fair to say the game is doing a good job of discouraging my strategies. Right?

It's discouraging it by presenting you with situations in which that is a boring and unfun solution

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

I will never log offshut up.

Boring and unfun is subjective. I know there are plenty of chapters I could've just won on hard but stopped to kill everything for exp and I generally enjoy that slow and methodical play. Like unfun and boring is massively subjective while winning isn't.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

Natural 20 posted:

you’re right they should patch the timed reinforcements to be infinite and give 0 exp so that even the really depraved maniacs get the picture

Dr. Cool Aids
Jul 6, 2009
this thread dropped to a 2 rating yesterday which I thought was a bit harsh

3 seems high now

GiantRockFromSpace
Mar 1, 2019

Just Cram It

It turns out I was wrong, it's not the plot that brigns discourse, it was the players all along. How wrong and foolish I was.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

Eimi posted:

Boring and unfun is subjective. I know there are plenty of chapters I could've just won on hard but stopped to kill everything for exp and I generally enjoy that slow and methodical play. Like unfun and boring is massively subjective while winning isn't.

but they are literally saying that they didn't have fun doing it

Veryslightlymad
Jun 3, 2007

I fight with
my brain
and with an
underlying
hatred of the
Erebonian
Noble Faction
Has anyone tried running Etie as Halbadier? That class skill looks pretty juicy with her massive strength vs speed ratio.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled
The Halberdier class skill doesn't come into play as often as I'd like because of movement constraints. It's pretty rare to have an enemy be close enough that you can safely move someone into position to get juicy pincers without that enemy either being dead or killing someone squishy.

Kanos fucked around with this message at 20:43 on Feb 4, 2023

Veryslightlymad
Jun 3, 2007

I fight with
my brain
and with an
underlying
hatred of the
Erebonian
Noble Faction
Couldn't you just park a person on the opposite end of the enemy and then not attack? I mean, various fliers have staves, so you don't even have to waste their turn, and you can just physic someone.

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

GiantRockFromSpace posted:

It turns out I was wrong, it's not the plot that brigns discourse, it was the players all along. How wrong and foolish I was.

*in pretentious zombie movie voice* WE are the Three Houses Discourse!!!!

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

Veryslightlymad posted:

Couldn't you just park a person on the opposite end of the enemy and then not attack? I mean, various fliers have staves, so you don't even have to waste their turn, and you can just physic someone.

You can do this, yeah - provided that there's no second wave of enemies on that flank that will move in and murder the person you're positioning solely to get a double out of the halberdier.

It's not a useless skill, it's just that I found I was getting a lot less use out of it than I expected to. I had Alfred as a halberdier for a lot of the game before switching him out to Great Knight for the bases.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
Another note from my experiences with the game so far, my early favorite character besides Alear might be Citrinne of all people. She might not make the best first impression, but between the hilarious scene of Alear of all people talking about how a pretty pebble isn't exactly a heartfelt gift and other supports (notably Lapis) digging into just how insecure and lonely Citrinne is under the surface, I think I'm going to keep her as a mainstay of my brigade.

Maybe spend my next master seal to make her a Sage. I need way, way more master seals than I'm getting so far. >_>

Raserys
Aug 22, 2011

IT'S YA BOY
how can you tell if a paralogue is going to be lethal or not? i did lyn's, and when a unit went down in those they did their "oh i have to retreat" dialogue, but in ike's they just die

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

Raserys posted:

how can you tell if a paralogue is going to be lethal or not? i did lyn's, and when a unit went down in those they did their "oh i have to retreat" dialogue, but in ike's they just die

I think it's by character, not by paralogue. If a character appears in later cutscenes, they'll say they retreat, but won't be usable anymore.

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

Raserys posted:

They're always 'lethal'. They're alive, but won't be playable.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Cythereal posted:

Another note from my experiences with the game so far, my early favorite character besides Alear might be Citrinne of all people. She might not make the best first impression, but between the hilarious scene of Alear of all people talking about how a pretty pebble isn't exactly a heartfelt gift and other supports (notably Lapis) digging into just how insecure and lonely Citrinne is under the surface, I think I'm going to keep her as a mainstay of my brigade.

Maybe spend my next master seal to make her a Sage. I need way, way more master seals than I'm getting so far. >_>

Citrinne rules. I made her a Sage and she's one of my most reliable enemy destroyers. She's really slow and never doubles but she hits like a truck so it's not too much of a concern.

What chapter are you in? My experience with master seals was that I felt like I never had enough, and then like a chapter two later I had enough that I didn't need them anymore, they kind of came all at once.

Raserys posted:

They're always lethal. What probably happened is that the person who said they were retreating was a story character. You still can't deploy them anymore--they're "dead" for gameplay purposes--but they're alive just so they can be in cutscenes.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Harrow posted:

Citrinne rules. I made her a Sage and she's one of my most reliable enemy destroyers. She's really slow and never doubles but she hits like a truck so it's not too much of a concern.

What chapter are you in? My experience with master seals was that I felt like I never had enough, and then like a chapter two later I had enough that I didn't need them anymore, they kind of came all at once.

I just picked up Jade, so whenever that is. I've gotten three master seals to date, which I've spent on Vidame Celine, Martial Master Framme, and Bow Knight Etie.

Spent a second seal to make Alear a sword cavalier, as I'm tentatively going to make her a wolf knight.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

The fixed growths might honestly make me never play maddening.

It's so anti-fire emblem to me.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Cythereal posted:

I just picked up Jade, so whenever that is. I've gotten three master seals to date, which I've spent on Vidame Celine, Martial Master Framme, and Bow Knight Etie.

Spent a second seal to make Alear a sword cavalier, as I'm tentatively going to make her a wolf knight.

Have you bought any? There should be some in the shop by now, and they replenish fairly frequently.

edit: oh never mind, you're in chapter 9, that's earlier than I thought. You'll be swimming in master seals within two or three chapters IIRC.

FrickenMoron
May 6, 2009

Good game!
Just beat the dreaded Chapter 17 on Maddening, it took a lot of finagling but Alcryst remains my MVP. Does anyone know why Zephia sometimes stays chill on top? Because the last 3 bosses all rushed me at once this time.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Harrow posted:

Have you bought any? There should be some in the shop by now, and they replenish fairly frequently.

There was one in the shop (master seals), the one from Anna's paralogue and one from the bridge map.

I've been checking the item shop every time I go to the Somniel.

It's not a big deal, it just annoys a part of my brain that I know I'm getting growths that are less than they could be when anyone in a basic class gets a level past 10.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

Andrast posted:

If you beat the game once you can pick fixed or random growths for any difficulty in the future.

FrickenMoron
May 6, 2009

Good game!

Zore posted:

If you beat the game once you can pick fixed or random growths for any difficulty in the future.

Beating the game on Hard does not let you unlock random growths on Maddening.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010

FrickenMoron posted:

Beating the game on Hard does not let you unlock random growths on Maddening.

Huh, thats an incredibly :effort: decision. I was under the impression a game clear opened it for all difficulties.

Ometeotl
Feb 13, 2012

It's MISSEL! Or SISSLE!
I confused myself...

Raserys posted:

Must make it awkward after the Paralogue when Alear and the emblem are reconnecting wistfully after that same emblem just straight up murdered 3 of Alear's dear friends.

ROFL Octopus
Jun 20, 2014

LET ME EXPLAIN

Andrast posted:

Yeah fixed isn’t appealing to me either because luck and improv is one of the biggest draws of the series imo.

At least it’s actually fixed and not PoR’s arcane effort value system.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

Ometeotl posted:

Must make it awkward after the Paralogue when Alear and the emblem are reconnecting wistfully after that same emblem just straight up murdered 3 of Alear's dear friends.

Hey, it's a trial for a reason. If that person gets owned fighting the emblem ghost and a bunch of rock golems they're definitely going to die fighting the evil dragon god anyway. :v:

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

cheetah7071 posted:

anyways I find it funny that awakening saved the series but the 'casual' crowd has turned on this one. 'Casual' is not said derogatorily, but I'm struggling to think of another short summary of what I mean; I mean the people who joined the series with awakening and aren't super invested in it. They're just video games they play sometimes instead of something they talk about endlessly on the internet.
i dont think the casuals have turned on this game.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
perhaps it's me, with the internet poisoning

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

also if you play maddening on fixed exactly once its basically random, in that you've never played with the characters like this before. iunno why they made that decision but its not that big a dela if you play the games ten times like me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

also there's definitely some arguing about the game but the 3H fans were not, casual, in their love of 3H, and most of them started with 3H, not awakening. The audience there were hardcore 3H fans who were talking about it for 4 years endlessly.

The casual crowd you're describing broadly seem to like the game and you won't find them on reddit or gamefaqs.