Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
yeah, there's beastmen and there's fursonas and that dude is definitely the latter.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010

Endorph posted:

people got super mad about this skyrim reference in this random fantasy anime (grimoire of zero) being grr translators inserting memes

but it was actually in the original japanese script, he quotes the jp version of that skyrim line

I remember reading about how the Magic Hammer in Link to the Past was called the MC Hammer originally because…yeah, and I’m pretty willing to give translators the benefit of the doubt if something seems sus partly because of that.

Caphi
Jan 6, 2012

INCREDIBLE
But sometimes it's Megaman X5 so who knows.

Also I just looked it up and it looks like it's still "Magic Hammer," unless this was like a working dev diary or something.

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!
Was the Power Glove still a reference to The Wizard in the JP

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
tfw you see a jrpg guide say "your party members should have 4000hp by now" for a boss fight you beat with everyone capping at 1700

Looper
Mar 1, 2012
sounds like you missed a lot of treasure chests with hp upgrades

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled

The Colonel posted:

tfw you see a jrpg guide say "your party members should have 4000hp by now" for a boss fight you beat with everyone capping at 1700

One of my favorite examples of this was in the incredibly terrible official strategy guide for Symphony of the Night, where they were obviously playing with gameshark codes because their example screenshots showed Alucard with like 4 digit HP for the third boss.

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

The Colonel posted:

sounds like the guide was written for cowards who hate a challenge

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

HGH posted:

Helping someone out with a small scale port project (from 2009) that's full of references to other media, and it's even more messed up because anytime they ask the devs something like "Hey what's this referencing/referring to?" they can only react with "We have no clue" because the person who wrote it all left the company years ago.
The biggest unsolved mystery was trying to figure out why "トランポリィ" decreases accuracy when all over debuffs are just English words like "Melt Weapon", "Debilitate" or "Disadvantage".

Hard to hit poo poo on a trampoline

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

Kanos posted:

One of my favorite examples of this was in the incredibly terrible official strategy guide for Symphony of the Night, where they were obviously playing with gameshark codes because their example screenshots showed Alucard with like 4 digit HP for the third boss.

for more information check playonline

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Kanos posted:

Honestly it really depends. For pre-release stuff games can be really weird. Some developers only send screenshots they took themselves and won't let the guide makers take their own for example which is why you occasionally get weird stuff.

Part of that is because stuff can change *significantly* over time in both writing and translation. I remember talking to someone who worked on a guide where they changed one of the core terms in the game very close to launch so every screenshot that featured that term was now inaccurate.

ImpAtom fucked around with this message at 21:41 on Feb 4, 2023

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled

ImpAtom posted:

Honestly it really depends. For pre-release stuff games can be really weird. Some developers only send screenshots they took themselves and won't let the guide makers take their own for example which is why you occasionally get weird stuff.

The guide was also full of incredibly inaccurate nonsense information(especially about the contents of the inverted castle), and some of the information that was there and technically correct was also written extremely oddly. They mostly correctly describe how to acquire the gold and silver rings to get the holy glasses to save Richter, but they refer to the rings as the "red ring" and the "blue ring" and the holy glasses as the "green goggles". These are nonsense names, until you look at the tiny icons for the items and realize that yes, the rings have colored centerpieces and the holy glasses icon has green lenses, suggesting that the guide writer was maybe an english language player playing a Japanese copy that they couldn't read the text in.

Joey McChrist
Aug 8, 2005

The Colonel posted:

the solution those guidemakers have found for all problems is "grind until you're 10+ levels higher than everything you're facing" and that sounds boring as hell

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
killing me that the kanji for kanon's weird robot body frame is literally Justice Body

technically 義 can also mean prosthesis. the double meaning there is incredible.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Mierenneuker posted:

Ah, that explains why that one weapon in Vampire Survivors is called that.

It's a very good deep cut

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

I feel like the deepest cut in that game is the Vandalier weapon, referencing the endgame super-promotion the protagonist of Vandal Hearts could get that knew every "spell" in the game, including spells that duplicated the effects of battle consumables for 0 MP, one of which was a rainbow-colored laser nuke that hit every enemy on the battlefield.

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy
jesus how many playable characters does chained echoes need

Zaggitz
Jun 18, 2009

My urges are becoming...

UNCONTROLLABLE

Rascyc posted:

jesus how many playable characters does chained echoes need

They needed to make Sienna and Mikah look even stronger than they are by giving you absolute jobbers.

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy

Zaggitz posted:

They needed to make Sienna and Mikah look even stronger than they are by giving you absolute jobbers.
lmao, sienna is so busted and this version is even the nerfed version go figure

I'm just in it for the story at this point.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
i like the bit of wild arms 2 where one of the bad guys starts going "hmhm... you think i'm evil, but don't you think the existence of heroes like you is what creates horrible villains like me? everyone, look! they're just as bad as i am!!!" and then kanon just hops in from out of nowhere and tells him to shut up

also love the recurring thing of, the only person who knows a ton about mechanics being the vampire girl. because she's the only one who's lived long enough to know about any of this stuff. the noblewoman vampire mechanic.

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

Sienna rules because she makes big number and is also just the best character in general.

Bussamove
Feb 25, 2006

“This is stupid, you’re all stupid, I’m gonna kill this thing with my sword now.”

Sienna rules.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

SirSamVimes posted:

Sienna rules because she makes big number and is also just the best character in general.

Basically.

Shes so good you could run her twice in your party and have both the best dps and best tank in the game. She also dodges the dead gay partner trope

Million Ghosts
Aug 11, 2011

spooooooky
what are some good or not exactly good but interesting 3DS rpgs that aren't the usual Radiant Historia and SMT recs?

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Million Ghosts posted:

what are some good or not exactly good but interesting 3DS rpgs that aren't the usual Radiant Historia and SMT recs?

project x zone 2
stella glow
7th dragon VFD
fantasy life?

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Fantasy Life is Best Life

Dragon Ball Fusions is neat if you like the property

If you'd like garbage might I recommend Unsung Mage

Edit: Girls RPG: A Cinderella Tale is a Japanese Exclusive failure game where they tried to make a game about being the best hostess into a game for kids.

Barudak fucked around with this message at 12:29 on Feb 5, 2023

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

Isn't That Right, Chairman?

Million Ghosts posted:

The Alliance Alive
Various Dragon Quests

Mr. Maltose
Feb 16, 2011

The Guffless Girlverine
Ever Oasis, in addition to what other people have said.

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy
Ah I see Chained Echoes is paying homage to Ar Tonelico 2. One of the late game bosses has some attacks that can crash the game fairly reliably.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
glad to report that in the jp script of wild arms 2, the dungeon called Abandoned Icebox was actually originally titled Abandoned Refrigerator

Mysticblade
Oct 22, 2012

Soma Bringer and Sands of Destruction might count. I don't remember if the first one is interesting but I don't recall either of them being too good. The second one definitely was interesting even if every single cutscene took way too long. The game got adapted into an anime and the story got changed apparently which is odd.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Mysticblade posted:

Soma Bringer and Sands of Destruction might count. I don't remember if the first one is interesting but I don't recall either of them being too good. The second one definitely was interesting even if every single cutscene took way too long. The game got adapted into an anime and the story got changed apparently which is odd.

that's the ds not the 3ds :mods:

Barudak
May 7, 2007

If you have a "New" Nintendo 3DS which might be the stupidest product name outside the WiiU, you can also play a version of Xenoblade 1 that is invalidated by playing the Switch refurbish.

Looper
Mar 1, 2012
i tried ever oasis recently but it put me to sleep every session

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

Million Ghosts posted:

Etrian Odyssey games.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

For those with game pass, Sword and Fairy 7 has been announced for the service so you too can experience the graphical fidelity and uneven story and minimum viable product action combat of Chinese RPGs.

avoraciopoctules
Oct 22, 2012

What is this kid's DEAL?!

I think Wo Long might be coming out next month too. Definitely a good time to check out fancy Chinese RPGs.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Barudak posted:

For those with game pass, Sword and Fairy 7 has been announced for the service so you too can experience the graphical fidelity and uneven story and minimum viable product action combat of Chinese RPGs.

drat, glad I never bought it lol

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

Speaking of Chinese RPGs, someone play the demo for Wandering Sword and let us know how janky it is: https://store.steampowered.com/app/1876890/Wandering_Sword/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
its that time of year again, where i play a bunch of stuff at steam next fest hoping there is an interesting srpg offering

GrandpaPants posted:

Speaking of Chinese RPGs, someone play the demo for Wandering Sword and let us know how janky it is: https://store.steampowered.com/app/1876890/Wandering_Sword/

i did dl that one too, nod nod