Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ornery and Hornery
Oct 22, 2020

a sexual elk posted:

The fast food sub forum made me crave Jack in the Box tacos whilst baked and got some egg rolls, I loving love egg rolls

Egg rolls from j in the b? How are they?

I love almost any fried Asian cylinder!!!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ornery and Hornery
Oct 22, 2020

Android Apocalypse posted:

The comic it's based on is pretty cool too.

My curiosity is sparked!!

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.
I think this is probably important.

https://twitter.com/copyrightlately/status/1621667685485641729?s=20&t=6uhV-ZvJUYP_U4jWdi1-3A

Its Rinaldo
Aug 13, 2010

CODS BINCH

Android Apocalypse posted:

The comic it's based on is pretty cool too.

Soviet Batman is good

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

Honest question: is it bad the sushi in a Japanese airport is the best I’ve ever had in my life

Like I thought I’ve been to decent places

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

FizFashizzle posted:

Honest question: is it bad the sushi in a Japanese airport is the best I’ve ever had in my life

Like I thought I’ve been to decent places

Nah. Best satay Ive everhad was from a street cart in Malaysia. You can find hidden gems.

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

It's amazing what they can do with computers these days.

I heard about another one suing an AI art site for essentially copying a bunch of artist’s work and spitting out images that resemble their style. Going to be some interesting times for AI stuff soon. Frankly, I’m fine with all this AI art poo poo disappearing. All of it is so tedious and boring.

Qwijib0
Apr 10, 2007

Who needs on-field skills when you can dance like this?

Fun Shoe

Silly Burrito posted:

Hey, just posting this here in case you want to check your home address and see what your internet providers are saying they offer to your house.

https://broadbandmap.fcc.gov/home#/

I found out that our local company was saying they offered 1Gig fiber to our house and they do not.

Lol our local mom and pop fixed wireless provider claims to be able to offer gig synchronous, yeah sure guys absolutely on an oversubscribed unlicensed frequency ubiquiti system.

Qwijib0 fucked around with this message at 14:56 on Feb 4, 2023

Qwijib0
Apr 10, 2007

Who needs on-field skills when you can dance like this?

Fun Shoe

I've heard several times when thinking about legality of computers doing things "what if a person did it", most recently with that apartment pricing software-- where the human equivalent would be all the landlords in an area getting in a room and choosing a new minimum, obviously illegal.

AI art is much trickier. If someone spent their life practicing to paint like Picasso, or shooting photos like Ansel Adams and then you asked them to make an art that looked like it, and never claimed it was from the original artist, that's not illegal at all. The new thing here is scale, and there's no law against scale.

T-Square
May 14, 2009

Last night we went to a Restore (kinda like a Goodwill but for donated home project materials and equipment) because I’ve been starting to look for a wall cabinet I can dress up with some glass pane doors and trim and mount up in the dining room for pint glasses, wine glasses, cocktail poo poo, etc. Haven’t really seen what I’ve been picturing in my head anywhere.

This place just happened to have the perfect wall cabinet I was imagining in my head, great condition, like three shelves and double glass doors and a hidden drawer on the bottom, but it didn’t have any stickers or tags on it. Called a lady over and she says it’s a part of this HUGE fugly bulky cabinet set that I couldn’t imagine anyone buying. All of the cabinets took up a space the size of my main living area. All the rest of them were beat up and gross, and this one cabinet was a few shades whiter and in much much better condition, so I’m not convinced it was a part of that set. Of course, she refused to separate it out for me. The whole thing was $1,200 and she literally said “Well we’re having a 20% off sale next week, you can buy the set and just re-donate the rest” :jerkbag:

I’m goin back in 30 days and if it’s still there I’m asking for a manager and offering them $200, because I don’t see anyone buying the rest of that monstrosity :argh:

Silly Burrito
Nov 27, 2007

SET A COURSE FOR
THE FLAVOR QUADRANT

Qwijib0 posted:

Lol our local mom and pop fixed wireless provider claims to be able to offer gig synchronous, yeah sure guys absolutely on an oversubscribed unlicensed frequency ubiquiti system.

Yep, that’s what I’m talking about. I’ve got no problem if you list what you truly offer for internet, but screw you if you claim you offer great service and you don’t even come close. That’s why America’s internet is in the shape it’s in. File those challenges!

a sexual elk
May 16, 2007

Ornery and Hornery posted:

Egg rolls from j in the b? How are they?

I love almost any fried Asian cylinder!!!

Surprisingly decent, and they’re huge. Last 3 times I’ve gone it’s been a taco and rolls order.

CannonFodder
Jan 26, 2001

Passion’s Wrench

Silly Burrito posted:

Hey, just posting this here in case you want to check your home address and see what your internet providers are saying they offer to your house.

https://broadbandmap.fcc.gov/home#/

I found out that our local company was saying they offered 1Gig fiber to our house and they do not. (I called and confirmed yesterday.) I read a story on Ars (https://arstechnica.com/tech-policy/2023/02/cable-company-tries-to-block-grants-to-rivals-by-lying-about-coverage-area/) about an ISP who lied to block others from grabbing federal grant funds. I’m not staying mine did that, but there’s no reason to list that you serve my house with technology and speeds that you do not.

Just check your house. It takes 30 seconds, and if there’s a provider who doesn’t offer the speeds or service they say they do, send an availability challenge!

I actually received a phone call from the FCC today about this, so someone is actually looking at this!
1: link was not a hidden link to goatse, I know, I looked first
2: lol the second fastest at my place was Charter Cable
3: a bunch of wireless providers and one geostationary???
4: the actual fastest is my local phone company that branched out to providing fiber to house and TV

Yes I use my local phone company, they have been great

To make it TFF related, one time Time Warner wasn't carrying the NFL Network and that's why we went with the local phone company, because they did. So then I spent many nights watching old Super Bowls or season highlights.

Ornery and Hornery
Oct 22, 2020

Thinking we need a Dave Growl pupdate

Silly Burrito
Nov 27, 2007

SET A COURSE FOR
THE FLAVOR QUADRANT

CannonFodder posted:

1: link was not a hidden link to goatse, I know, I looked first

drat, a missed opportunity :)

Its Rinaldo
Aug 13, 2010

CODS BINCH
Not a true goon :colbert:

Vertical Lime
Dec 11, 2004

we got em

https://twitter.com/Phil_Lewis_/status/1621957091702235137

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

I've gotta stop fantasizing about Lee Majors...
Ah, one more!

They shut down departures at our airport. I’d have been loving furious.

Alternatively: Watch Biden start a war

Silly Burrito
Nov 27, 2007

SET A COURSE FOR
THE FLAVOR QUADRANT
What do the military use as darts?

fartknocker
Oct 28, 2012

Damn it, this always happens. I think I'm gonna score, and then I never score. It's not fair.

Wedge Regret

Silly Burrito posted:

Historically, F-104s

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

Ah, one more!

Silly Burrito posted:

SLDR Strategic Lawn Dart Reserve

Silly Burrito
Nov 27, 2007

SET A COURSE FOR
THE FLAVOR QUADRANT

LeeMajors posted:

SLDR Strategic Lawn Dart Reserve

So THAT’S where they all went after the 60s.

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

I guess that I don't need that though
Now you're just some QB that I used to know
Can someone tell me why this was such a big deal? Why didn't it just go the way of the countless weather balloons and such?

Blowjob Overtime
Apr 6, 2008

Steeeeriiiiiiiiike twooooooo!

swickles posted:

Can someone tell me why this was such a big deal? Why didn't it just go the way of the countless weather balloons and such?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RDrfE9I8_hs

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat

swickles posted:

Somebody somewhere really really wants a shooting war with China, and will push any narrative they can in order to get it. Recall that awful military spending graph that got posted a couple of weeks ago, where they deliberately used two different y-axes to make it look like China's military was outspending the US military.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.
What's a Chinese balloon doing off the coast of the Carolinas? I'd expect it to be on the other coast. Did it float over all of Europe or across America before anyone decided to do something about it?

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

LISTEN TO WHAT I HAVE TO SAY AS IT'S INCREDIBLY IMPORTANT!
At least when we overreacted to 9/11 it was due to 3000 dead people.

Ether Frenzy
Dec 22, 2006

Nap Ghost
Trump people are very mad that the Chinese now know we have a Nebraska, and the only way to cure this is to put Trump back in charge so he can just hand the classified documents to them directly

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

Ah, one more!

Skwirl posted:

What's a Chinese balloon doing off the coast of the Carolinas? I'd expect it to be on the other coast. Did it float over all of Europe or across America before anyone decided to do something about it?

I think it floated all the way across the US, right?

I haven't been following, but then again I'm not a FOX watcher. I can't even imagine the depths of the pearl-clutching on there.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Skwirl posted:

It floated across the country, including the nuclear missile silos in Montana.

For a few days, the right-wingers were screaming at Biden and accusing him of treason for not having the balloon shot down. Now that it's down, I fully expect them to start accusing him of trying to start a war with China by shooting down one of their recon balloons.

Its Rinaldo
Aug 13, 2010

CODS BINCH

Skwirl posted:

It was first spotted over Alaska and then again in Montana and Missouri. They said they didn't want to shoot it down where parts could fall on people even in remote areas.

Another has been spotted in South America

Ether Frenzy
Dec 22, 2006

Nap Ghost
Wait until they hear about satellites!

Dango Bango
Jul 26, 2007

Ether Frenzy posted:

Wait until they hear about satellites that broadcast 5G

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Its Rinaldo posted:

It was first spotted over Alaska and then again in Montana and Missouri. They said they didn't want to shoot it down where parts could fall on people even in remote areas.

Another has been spotted in South America

I feel like there has to be a moment between Alaska and the Atlantic Ocean where you could be pretty drat sure no one would get hit by debris.

I am going to enjoy all the people pretending this is somehow beyond the pale for China to do, as if we don't have satellites continually pointing at China along with regular spy drones flying over them.

Like, how much information could China have gotten from this that I don't have access to from satellite view in Google maps? I guess the military bases have their images scrubbed, but I don't know what nefarious thing China would do with that unless they were planning to launch an attack on American soil, which I'm pretty sure they aren't.

wandler20
Nov 13, 2002

How many Championships?

Ether Frenzy posted:

Wait until they hear about satellites!

I think that's why they weren't too worried about it. Anything that balloon could see, a satellite could likely see better.

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

maybe china called joe brandon and was like "yeah the balloon is done, its just gonna float over the atlantic now, can you just take care of it for us? thanks"

Its Rinaldo
Aug 13, 2010

CODS BINCH

Skwirl posted:

I feel like there has to be a moment between Alaska and the Atlantic Ocean where you could be pretty drat sure no one would get hit by debris.

I am going to enjoy all the people pretending this is somehow beyond the pale for China to do, as if we don't have satellites continually pointing at China along with regular spy drones flying over them.

Like, how much information could China have gotten from this that I don't have access to from satellite view in Google maps? I guess the military bases have their images scrubbed, but I don't know what nefarious thing China would do with that unless they were planning to launch an attack on American soil, which I'm pretty sure they aren't.

:shrug: Sometimes those things have parts or components that are toxic and I'm kinda ok with not shooting stuff down over ours or Canada's soil.

Aaaaaaarrrrrggggg
Oct 4, 2004

ha, ha, ha, og me ekam
I mean, Biden's military advisors basically said "they can get the same info from their satellites, don't shoot it down over land". That they knocked it down over water makes sense then because if there is any value to what's on it, cool. If not, well, target practice for an F-22.

E: thinking of a jet getting a fuckin' children's balloon picture painted under the canopy...

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

I just want to thank our brave patriots who took down this menace

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS