Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
I'm glad that I was misreading the room, then

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

Endorph posted:

also if you play maddening on fixed exactly once its basically random, in that you've never played with the characters like this before. iunno why they made that decision but its not that big a dela if you play the games ten times like me.

I think they want to guarantee a baseline level of “fairness” for maddening at least on the first time around

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

cheetah7071 posted:

I'm glad that I was misreading the room, then

the actual read of the room is that 3h has had more fanfic posted for it on ao3 since engage launched than engage has

Booky
Feb 21, 2013

Chill Bug

Tae posted:

This is exactly the smt 5 thread all over again with multiple stux to gaslight each other for daring to like games

:dafuq: what are you loving talking about jesus christ

Rent Free.

anyways im at ch 9 rn in engage and you know what? it Owns
tho idk who really wants leifs ring boosts

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

3h fanfics posted since jan 20th: 500
engage fanfics posted: 225

if anything engage launching has led to a slight uptick in, 3h fanfics.

Booky
Feb 21, 2013

Chill Bug

there Should be more engage fanfics.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

Booky posted:

there Should be more engage fanfics.

be the change you want to see

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
i will never engage with fanfics

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

i read a like 30 chapter one of tatiana and zeke from echoes that made me appreciate those characters more but i lol'd at the ending author's notes where the author went 'i played mystery of the emblem and did zeke really go all the way to archanea to break up with his clingy ex'

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

I will never log offshut up.

I ended up liking plenty of the ladies that I had to agonize between Goldmary (horrible woman) and Ivy for the S rank, I never felt like there were was much ship energy from the supports I saw. Diamant/Alfred and I was going to say Citrinne/Lapis until their A support torpedo'd that. I guess Chloe/Merrin but I didn't see their A to see if that gets blown up like Citrinne/Lapis. Otherwise not much ship wise, from what I saw at least.

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
I feel like there's at least one good ship between Yunaka and Panette, possibly multiple.

Hellioning
Jun 27, 2008

Endorph posted:

3h fanfics posted since jan 20th: 500
engage fanfics posted: 225

if anything engage launching has led to a slight uptick in, 3h fanfics.

To be fair some people do have to actually finish Engage before writing fanfics about it.

MoonCrab
Nov 19, 2014

A mildly pertubed emoji face

Endorph posted:

the actual read of the room is that 3h has had more fanfic posted for it on ao3 since engage launched than engage has

Starting this game soon and this might be tge strongest indictment of the story I've seen lmao. I can work with cringe, and I can work with anime, but if the fanbase isn't even willing and able to conjure entirely new personalities from the aether then whats even the point?

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

I will never log offshut up.

Zulily Zoetrope posted:

I feel like there's at least one good ship between Yunaka and Panette, possibly multiple.

Yeah this is why I qualified with what I've seen, since I didn't use Panette at all beyond her introduction. Her design is really one of the ones that just stands out negatively for me and doesn't click.

Ometeotl
Feb 13, 2012

It's MISSEL! Or SISSLE!
I confused myself...

Zulily Zoetrope posted:

Yeah and it's Yunaka/Panette

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

maybe people also arent writing fanfics because you're way less likely to see the romantic a supports since unlike 3h where most had that energy here its fairly arbitrary.

that said pretty much all of kagetsu's are extremely romantic, as are most of alfred's with guys. rosado/seadall also stood out to me. maybe this game is also the inverse of engage in that most of the homoerotic energy was saved for the men actually, with all due respect to felix and sylvain

Hellioning
Jun 27, 2008

I have already seen several Good pieces of Fanart and therefore believe that the Good Fanfic will come eventually.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Endorph posted:

it is very funny seeing people go 'i hope they recreate 3h's mechanics'

yeah thats why theyve recreated fe4 so exactly, at any point, ever

I think they will with the upcoming remake!

Endorph posted:

that said pretty much all of kagetsu's are extremely romantic, as are most of alfred's with guys. rosado/seadall also stood out to me. maybe this game is also the inverse of engage in that most of the homoerotic energy was saved for the men actually, with all due respect to felix and sylvain

I can appreciate it tbh.

blizzardvizard
Sep 12, 2012

Shhh... don't wake up the sleeping lion :3:

It's very funny how transparently horny Kagetsu is for Boucheron

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

MoonCrab posted:

Starting this game soon and this might be tge strongest indictment of the story I've seen lmao. I can work with cringe, and I can work with anime, but if the fanbase isn't even willing and able to conjure entirely new personalities from the aether then whats even the point?
i mean 200-some fanfics in the first couple weeks is a good amount its just that 3h was like a supernova event in terms of fanfic. i think it might be the video game with the most fanfic on ao3 period?

3h has about 43k total. for comparison, kingdom hearts has about 25k and ff14 has about 30k.

GateOfD
Jan 31, 2023

So kawaii..

ROFL Octopus posted:

Yeah fixed isn’t appealing to me either because luck and improv is one of the biggest draws of the series imo.

At least it’s actually fixed and not PoR’s arcane effort value system.

yea..and we all know it sucks getting rng screwed on a unit or two.

but we also know we're all carried by the 2-3 god units that hit every important statup every level. fixed stat is gonna take that away

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

okay genshin has like 110k but thats not fair, thats genshin

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

Magic teen war school feat. a large cast of quirky characters (with depth and history!!) is about the most raw and primal fanfic material you can get

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Fixed growths in FE9 were so bad that I don't think i'll ever be able to accept them. Even if apparently Engage's implementation is better.

Hellioning
Jun 27, 2008

Terper posted:

Magic teen war school feat. a large cast of quirky characters (with depth and history!!) is about the most raw and primal fanfic material you can get

Plus the lack of a 'golden' ending, plus people writing fanfic about how 'their' side is objectively correct and their opponents are evil...yeah, three houses seems tailor made for fanfic.

nom epique
Apr 24, 2022

by VideoGames
Returned this and copped splatoon. It wasn’t for me but… Nintendo stays winning

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

"Go on until you're stopped."

blizzardvizard posted:

I feel like "Boucheron is uncomfortable with how horny everybody is for his bod" is pretty much his official quirky character trait.

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Wearer of Compasses. Slayer of Gods. Champion of the Colosseum. Heart of the Void.
Saviour of Hallownest.

Augus posted:

you’re right they should patch the timed reinforcements to be infinite and give 0 exp so that even the really depraved maniacs get the picture

I think games should generally strive for effective solutions that are also fun. A player having to sit down and police whether they're enjoying themselves enough isn't the best experience. It is worse when, like in my case, I couldn't see a solution that was more obvious than what I was doing.

And before someone wisecracks with "go faster" for the fifty billionth time, that is an option I looked at and that didn't work well. Firstly, because often the wave buildup behind me would be lethal when I needed actions to handle the boss and secondly because long term it would weaken my army by depriving them of experience. (I specifically did do this on the Ike paralogue because the reinforcements were impossibly overwhelming and the defensive position given is terrible)

I think we're wrongly focused on reinforcements mechanically anyway. There are just a lot of enemies in Maddening and they all take a while to take down. I did not think that chipping them out with assist damage was very engaging, but there weren't other obvious ways of handling that volume of attacks. Others found handling them that way to be interesting.

Natural 20 fucked around with this message at 23:00 on Feb 4, 2023

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon

Ometeotl posted:

Yeah and it's Yunaka/Panette

(the intended joke was that that's four different characters)

E:

blizzardvizard posted:

Also Etie for Yunaka, and hell, who can blame her?

Miftan
Mar 31, 2012

Terry knows what he can do with his bloody chocolate orange...

Natural 20 posted:

I think we're wrongly focused on reinforcements mechanically anyway. There are just a lot of enemies in Maddening and they all take a while to take down. I did not think that chipping them out with assist damage was very engaging, but there weren't other obvious ways of handling that volume of attacks. Others found handling them that way to be interesting.

I think it's just tuned *a bit* too much for me. Maddening has: Better AI, more enemies, higher stats. Any 2 of the 3 would be challenging, since even on hard the bosses are still challenging, but all 3 is just a lot. I'd prefer better ai and either higher stats or more enemies. I'd love being able to choose which of those I get, like Celeste difficulties with MADDENING being defined as all 3 or something? I went down to hard and other than the bosses it's not just not quite challenging enough. I do appreciate the corrupted wyrms not being an actual boss anymore though.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
Have you watched the maddening run of excelblem, natural since his team is vastly different than yours.

GiantRockFromSpace
Mar 1, 2019

Just Cram It

Endorph posted:

i mean 200-some fanfics in the first couple weeks is a good amount its just that 3h was like a supernova event in terms of fanfic. i think it might be the video game with the most fanfic on ao3 period?

3h has about 43k total. for comparison, kingdom hearts has about 25k and ff14 has about 30k.

If you count FF.net FFVII wins with 40k+17k from AO3. That's if not counting franchises (Pokemon and KH win massively then) and consider that those fics aren't majorly about the FFVII compilation.

That said holy poo poo that's a big amount of fics for a single game. There's prob more 3H fics than the rest of the franchise combined.

Barreft
Jul 21, 2014

Natural 20 posted:

I think games should generally strive for effective solutions that are also fun. A player having to sit down and police whether they're enjoying themselves enough isn't the best experience. It is worse when, like in my case, I couldn't see a solution that was more obvious than what I was doing.

And before someone wisecracks with "go faster" for the fifty billionth time, that is an option I looked at and that didn't work well. Firstly, because often the wave buildup behind me would be lethal when I needed actions to handle the boss and secondly because long term it would weaken my army by depriving them of experience. (I specifically did do this on the Ike paralogue because the reinforcements were impossibly overwhelming and the defensive position given is terrible)

:ok:

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

FFVII is simply the GOAT.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

GiantRockFromSpace posted:

If you count FF.net FFVII wins with 40k+17k from AO3. That's if not counting franchises (Pokemon and KH win massively then) and consider that those fics aren't majorly about the FFVII compilation.

That said holy poo poo that's a big amount of fics for a single game. There's prob more 3H fics than the rest of the franchise combined.

Eh there's over 100k Fire Emblem fics on Ao3 alone. 3 Houses makes up a decent minority but its still only like 40%ish of the total. Awakening and Fates also have a ton.

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Wearer of Compasses. Slayer of Gods. Champion of the Colosseum. Heart of the Void.
Saviour of Hallownest.

Tae posted:

Have you watched the maddening run of excelblem, natural since his team is vastly different than yours.

Yeah, he picked up on Dual Assist being beyond broken super early. I wasn't really willing to dump a lot of my characters for the likes of Lindon/Saphir to abuse it.

It's really clever though.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

https://twitter.com/ShineLily_/status/1621938374440271874

Hellioning
Jun 27, 2008

Rosado remains based and cutepilled.

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Saviour of Hallownest.
Rosado was just a huge breath of fresh air when he showed up. Great fun all around.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

my favorite thing about rosado is that there's not a single 'you're a GUY!?!?!?' joke with him and then random reddit bros keep trying to make that joke happen to literally no reaction