Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

It's very unfortunate that Nazi economic policy we've renamed to privatization has found such purchase in the west to the point that embracing it is a requirement of membership, but I suppose the historical position of liberalism has been to support Nazi programs as the lesser evil so not a surprise. There's some justice in that it's also valor stolen from Italians as is right and proper.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PerniciousKnid
Sep 13, 2006

tokin opposition posted:

unemployment should be 100%

0 unemployment would be bad, that means people are afraid to quit or that unemployed are desperately press ganged into jobs.

The problem is that unemployed people get paid less. Edit: or going even further, that the concept of employment exists.

Biplane
Jul 18, 2005

COPE 27 posted:

In Canada we did huge cuts to corporate taxes and consumption taxes like 15 years ago and everyone is acting like the underfunded public services are some intractable mystery.

Economy is fickle and unknowable to all but those raised in Economy's mysteries. all you can do is offer up your tribute and pray for better times that are surely just over the horizon

HashtagGirlboss
Jan 4, 2005

To be fair... they have you by the short and curlies

Centrist Committee
Aug 6, 2019

Epic High Five posted:

It's very unfortunate that Nazi economic policy we've renamed to privatization has found such purchase in the west to the point that embracing it is a requirement of membership, but I suppose the historical position of liberalism has been to support Nazi programs as the lesser evil so not a surprise. There's some justice in that it's also valor stolen from Italians as is right and proper.

nazi germany was the bourgeois paris commune, a heroic ideal that was crushed too quickly

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

COPE 27 posted:

Are you British or Canadian?

Danish, but it's happening everywhere. Thank Mr United States and America and mx Thatcher

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

Centrist Committee posted:

nazi germany was the bourgeois paris commune, a heroic ideal that was crushed too quickly

Will the theft of valor never stop

Dylan16807
May 12, 2010

christmas boots posted:

Not economists, but I’m reminded of how decades ago there used to be a really bad epidemic of babies in hospitals failing to thrive and they thought it was malnutrition or infection and they kept brainstorming and trying poo poo for years until eventually someone had the bright idea of “hey, what if we held them?” and surprise surprise babies like physical contact

I guess what I’m saying is that idiots run the world
And if it didn't work, you wouldn't call them idiots for thinking you can make a baby become healthy by using hugs?

A lot of 'obvious' things are true. But it's also important to measure the effect size.

A lot of 'obvious' things are not true.

Coolness Averted
Feb 20, 2007

oh don't worry, I can't smell asparagus piss, it's in my DNA

GO HOGG WILD!
🐗🐗🐗🐗🐗

Dylan16807 posted:

And if it didn't work, you wouldn't call them idiots for thinking you can make a baby become healthy by using hugs?

A lot of 'obvious' things are true. But it's also important to measure the effect size.

A lot of 'obvious' things are not true.

no, because giving a dying human material comfort is a good thing, even if it fails to heal them and also would be a relatively low cost thing to try.
If the response is "But it would be high cost, because we've cut staffing to the bone and specifically designed maternity wards in ways that prevented people from being with their newborn children" it looks like there's already pretty big systemic issues in play.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

i think now because of bad staffing they make the delirious mother do the care asap with drop in help from nurses before kicking the family out in less than 48hrs
like those rooms of crying newborns on display in old media dont exist

Dylan16807
May 12, 2010

Coolness Averted posted:

no, because giving a dying human material comfort is a good thing, even if it fails to heal them and also would be a relatively low cost thing to try.
If the response is "But it would be high cost, because we've cut staffing to the bone and specifically designed maternity wards in ways that prevented people from being with their newborn children" it looks like there's already pretty big systemic issues in play.

Failure to thrive isn't dying though. And I'm sure there was plenty of contact going on but nobody was taking measurements and running the statistics to know just how important it was.

"We don't have the resources" is a bad reason, definitely. But I don't blame them for failure to understand the impact for a hospital stay that isn't intended to last very long.

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

They "didnt understand" that babies benefit from human contact because human contact is expensive and hard to quantify, things the relentless drive for profit does not include unless forced. If thriving babies was the singular goal things would look a lot different, and all the hand wringing and "sensible changes" are just ways to skirt around that in defense of the present system. There is no utility or point in wondering what was in their heart of hearts lest you find yourself perpetuating the system you recognize as having failed

Weatherman
Jul 30, 2003

WARBLEKLONK

Dylan16807 posted:

Failure to thrive isn't dying though. And I'm sure there was plenty of contact going on

You're going to have to define what you mean by "plenty" there, given that the results of "more contact" was "babies started thriving". Do you see what I mean?

Dylan16807
May 12, 2010

Weatherman posted:

You're going to have to define what you mean by "plenty" there, given that the results of "more contact" was "babies started thriving". Do you see what I mean?
Plenty was a bad choice of word. I mean that while the average was way too low, the amount happening was far from 0, and many babies were getting enough contact.

My point being: The issue isn't that "nobody" had this idea. It's that it wasn't universal and also nobody was doing a rigorous study.

Coolness Averted
Feb 20, 2007

GO HOGG WILD!
🐗🐗🐗🐗🐗
I think I'm going to stand by my 'a suffering human ought to be given comfort' position, even if I'm gonna be slimey and extend it beyond those at risk of immediate mortality

Dylan16807 posted:

Plenty was a bad choice of word. I mean that while the average was way too low, the amount happening was far from 0, and many babies were getting enough contact.

My point being: The issue isn't that "nobody" had this idea. It's that it wasn't universal and also nobody was doing a rigorous study.
Right, but as was brought up, this empirical rigor is more often used as a cudgel to avoid doing the right thing.
Just look at covid and schools. We just didn't have the data to show this particular airborne respiratory disease could and would damage children, so we needed to use schools as plague pits to justify not infecting them

Coolness Averted has issued a correction as of 01:36 on Feb 5, 2023

Dylan16807
May 12, 2010

Epic High Five posted:

They "didnt understand" that babies benefit from human contact because human contact is expensive and hard to quantify, things the relentless drive for profit does not include unless forced. If thriving babies was the singular goal things would look a lot different, and all the hand wringing and "sensible changes" are just ways to skirt around that in defense of the present system. There is no utility or point in wondering what was in their heart of hearts lest you find yourself perpetuating the system you recognize as having failed

But again you need numbers. Not everything is truly obvious. What if it was better to isolate babies for a week for immune reasons, and only then give them maximum contact? You need to be compassionate, but common sense differs between people and isn't always right.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Real hurthling! posted:

i think now because of bad staffing they make the delirious mother do the care asap with drop in help from nurses before kicking the family out in less than 48hrs
like those rooms of crying newborns on display in old media dont exist

this is because early skin to skin contact triggers oxytocin and other instincts in both baby and the mother including helping milk come in and etc.

those rooms do exist in that it’s the NICU

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

Dylan16807 posted:

But again you need numbers. Not everything is truly obvious. What if it was better to isolate babies for a week for immune reasons, and only then give them maximum contact? You need to be compassionate, but common sense differs between people and isn't always right.

Sounds like the system was adopted before anybody had the numbers and data then, I wonder why that was, and why it seems to keep happening? My point is that they did have the numbers and data they felt they needed to make the choice, and they're exactly the kind when you let """healthcare economists""" run everything. What's the point in apologizing on their behalf? The promise of technocratic liberalism is more efficiently starving grannies and Brave New Worlding babies, like even the New Dems said as much and they represent the only faction near the levels of power that is the "face" of compassion

tokin opposition
Apr 8, 2021

I don't jailbreak the androids, I set them free.

WATCH MARS EXPRESS (2023)
My mother never cuddled me and I turned out horribly

Dylan16807
May 12, 2010

Epic High Five posted:

Sounds like the system was adopted before anybody had the numbers and data then, I wonder why that was, and why it seems to keep happening? My point is that they did have the numbers and data they felt they needed to make the choice, and they're exactly the kind when you let """healthcare economists""" run everything. What's the point in apologizing on their behalf? The promise of technocratic liberalism is more efficiently starving grannies and Brave New Worlding babies, like even the New Dems said as much and they represent the only faction near the levels of power that is the "face" of compassion

I'm not trying to apologize on their behalf, I'm critiquing the idea that they should have already known for sure.

So sure, they should have studied it before changing things. They did a bad thing to make this change. But I felt like the post I was originally replying to makes the correct answer sound too obvious. There are other situations in hospitals where the answer is different.

PerniciousKnid
Sep 13, 2006
To be fair the libs just spent the last three years insisting that hugs were the cure for COVID, so I understand why someone would be skeptical.

ContinuityNewTimes
Dec 30, 2010

Я выдуман напрочь

tokin opposition posted:

We know

Coolness Averted
Feb 20, 2007

GO HOGG WILD!
🐗🐗🐗🐗🐗

Dylan16807 posted:

I'm not trying to apologize on their behalf, I'm critiquing the idea that they should have already known for sure.

So sure, they should have studied it before changing things. They did a bad thing to make this change. But I felt like the post I was originally replying to makes the correct answer sound too obvious. There are other situations in hospitals where the answer is different.

Right, but the critique of your position is that knowledges and systems operating 'on data' are just as subject to ideology and ought not be treated as above it. There was obviously data and studies that made those hospital administrators believe their model was correct, and we risk affirming a status quo that should be challenged if we fall into the same pattern of 'trusting the science' and 'waiting on hard data before we act'

Your position that gut reactions and common sense aren't inherently true has merit. The problem is you're deploying that position in defense of cruelty backed by empirics, so of course people are going to respond that you're defending the cruelty.

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

what are you nerds going on about

COPE 27
Sep 11, 2006

Coolness Averted posted:

The problem is you're deploying that position in defense of cruelty backed by empirics

Would you like a sand pit for that leap?

cat botherer
Jan 6, 2022

I am interested in most phases of data processing.

tokin opposition posted:

If they let these children have affection then you will have gone through that for nothing.

Coolness Averted
Feb 20, 2007

GO HOGG WILD!
🐗🐗🐗🐗🐗

Professor Shark posted:

this is what happens when the pngs run low, shark
we discuss ideologies and knowledges but we're loving idiots so it's not fun to read

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Professor Shark posted:

there’s a problem in “evidence based medicine” where a lot of common sense things that have always been done don’t actually have double blind peer review data behind them.

academic arguments about this led to an all time best peer reviewed journal article “Parachute use to prevent death and major trauma related to gravitational challenge: systematic review of randomised controlled trials”

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC300808/

quote:

Abstract

Objectives To determine whether parachutes are effective in preventing major trauma related to gravitational challenge.

Design Systematic review of randomised controlled trials.

Data sources: Medline, Web of Science, Embase, and the Cochrane Library databases; appropriate internet sites and citation lists.

Study selection: Studies showing the effects of using a parachute during free fall.

Main outcome measure Death or major trauma, defined as an injury severity score > 15.

Results We were unable to identify any randomised controlled trials of parachute intervention.

Conclusions As with many interventions intended to prevent ill health, the effectiveness of parachutes has not been subjected to rigorous evaluation by using randomised controlled trials. Advocates of evidence based medicine have criticised the adoption of interventions evaluated by using only observational data. We think that everyone might benefit if the most radical protagonists of evidence based medicine organised and participated in a double blind, randomised, placebo controlled, crossover trial of the parachute.

and the follow up, mocking poor experiment design: “Parachute use to prevent death and major trauma when jumping from aircraft: randomized controlled trial”

quote:

Abstract
Objective To determine if using a parachute prevents death or major traumatic injury when jumping from an aircraft.

Design Randomized controlled trial.

Setting Private or commercial aircraft between September 2017 and August 2018.

Participants 92 aircraft passengers aged 18 and over were screened for participation. 23 agreed to be enrolled and were randomized.

Intervention Jumping from an aircraft (airplane or helicopter) with a parachute versus an empty backpack (unblinded).

Main outcome measures Composite of death or major traumatic injury (defined by an Injury Severity Score over 15) upon impact with the ground measured immediately after landing.

Results Parachute use did not significantly reduce death or major injury (0% for parachute v 0% for control; P>0.9). This finding was consistent across multiple subgroups. Compared with individuals screened but not enrolled, participants included in the study were on aircraft at significantly lower altitude (mean of 0.6 m for participants v mean of 9146 m for non-participants; P<0.001) and lower velocity (mean of 0 km/h v mean of 800 km/h; P<0.001).

Conclusions Parachute use did not reduce death or major traumatic injury when jumping from aircraft in the first randomized evaluation of this intervention. However, the trial was only able to enroll participants on small stationary aircraft on the ground, suggesting cautious extrapolation to high altitude jumps. When beliefs regarding the effectiveness of an intervention exist in the community, randomized trials might selectively enroll individuals with a lower perceived likelihood of benefit, thus diminishing the applicability of the results to clinical practice.

Coolness Averted
Feb 20, 2007

GO HOGG WILD!
🐗🐗🐗🐗🐗

COPE 27 posted:

Would you like a sand pit for that leap?

im sorry you can't follow basic conversations, but im proud you can at least ape twitter clapbacks, it shows you're at least watching humans interact

Animal-Mother
Feb 14, 2012

RABBIT RABBIT
RABBIT RABBIT

i dont have the skill to photoshop Caroline Kennedy crying while this waiter lifts that pasta out of Jack's open head

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

I'm moving house and, for the first time in all the places I've lived, the real estate agent is exercising their (utterly obnoxious) right to show people through the old place before I've moved out.

ArmedZombie
Jun 6, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!
https://twitter.com/TechEmails/status/1622030748546134023

:roflolmao:

Bald Stalin
Jul 11, 2004

Our posts
Liveability Agent

Also no one call Ashtons mobile to call him a dumb oval office and to leave OP alone. Don't do it.

Scallop Eyes
Oct 16, 2021
https://twitter.com/ArmandDoma/status/1621971518086602753

ekuNNN
Nov 27, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Tiggum posted:

I'm moving house and, for the first time in all the places I've lived, the real estate agent is exercising their (utterly obnoxious) right to show people through the old place before I've moved out.

:golfclap:

The Nastier Nate
May 22, 2005

All aboard the corona bus!

HONK! HONK!

Yams Fan

this is what victory in Afghanistan looks like

Horseshoe theory
Mar 7, 2005

Should have gotten a remote job, n00b.

Popoto
Oct 21, 2012

miaow

Tiggum posted:

:lmao:

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

hobbesmaster posted:

there’s a problem in “evidence based medicine” where a lot of common sense things that have always been done don’t actually have double blind peer review data behind them.

academic arguments about this led to an all time best peer reviewed journal article “Parachute use to prevent death and major trauma related to gravitational challenge: systematic review of randomised controlled trials”

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC300808/

and the follow up, mocking poor experiment design: “Parachute use to prevent death and major trauma when jumping from aircraft: randomized controlled trial”

It's funny now, but when they invent parachute 2.0 (or as I like to call it superchute, trademark pending), the data will become super useful.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 9 days!
Remember at one point people thought hugging babies too much gave them autism. So they hugged them less, and then they thought they were getting autism from not getting hugged enough.

So perhaps the ideal solution is to cut the baby in half and just hug one of the halves.