Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Who's your 2022 MVP?
This poll is closed.
Shohei Ohtani 50 59.52%
Aaron Judge 19 22.62%
Hey, the national league has an MVP too you know! 15 17.86%
Total: 84 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Blind Pineapple
Oct 27, 2010

For The Perfect Fruit 'n' Kaman

1 part gin
1 part pomegranate syrup
Fill with pineapple juice
Serve over crushed ice

College Slice
Yuli’s body isn’t holding up for 162 games anymore. People were saying he was cooked in the regular season last year. His postseason heater made everyone forget that, but it’s worth noting his only good stretch of the season was when he played 13 games in 30 days. It’d be nice if he took a bench role with the Astros, since that‘s probably as good as it will get for him on any team, but it’s hard to blame him chasing one more payday since he only started making MLB money in his 30s.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Imasalmon
Mar 19, 2003

Meet me in the Hall of Fame

Intruder posted:

I want to see a SAS version of Jeopardy

"This top prospect was traded from team to team, creating suspicion that he had been diagnosed with 'Super AIDS'"

Who is Brett Wallace?

ETA:
https://bleacherreport.com/articles/713436-houston-astros-6-ways-they-can-make-brett-wallace-the-face-of-the-franchise

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Intruder posted:

I want to see a SAS version of Jeopardy

"This top prospect was traded from team to team, creating suspicion that he had been diagnosed with 'Super AIDS'"

Was it Andy Marte?

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

Mike Trout has been around so long that Weed Mouse doesn't even post here anymore

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

I got a taste for blown saves

IcePhoenix posted:

Was it Andy Marte?

Both Wallace and Marte were moved multiple times but it was in fact Marte who had Super AIDS in SAS lore

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

This is a planck-temperature level take, maybe possible to equal, not sure it can be exceeded

Forrest on Fire
Nov 23, 2012

Move Bauer to 2nd and let every single opposing player spike him and sure, second chance

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

This isn’t good

https://twitter.com/willsammon/status/1621933105606021125?s=46&t=KU_ITM_PGMmxRsGnrpz2bg

davecrazy
Nov 25, 2004

I'm an insufferable shitposter who does not deserve to root for such a good team. Also, this is what Matt Harvey thinks of me and my garbage posting.
Sometimes a prospect makes it. Sometimes they don’t.

KICK BAMA KICK
Mar 2, 2009

Atlanta wins arbitration with Max Fried, $13.5m.

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

Finally! It took them way too long but I am glad to see the Dodgers finally come to their senses about this!

https://twitter.com/billshaikin/status/1621967434017275904?s=46&t=D8k0ZaiwHtsTaJEZSnXjVA

Paracaidas
Sep 24, 2016
Consistently Tedious!
Baseball fans are nuts pt. 4,257:
https://twitter.com/JomboyMedia/status/1622012911009890304

Kevlar v2.0
Dec 25, 2003

=^•⩊•^=

I also think about jamming needles into skin when I hear about Fernando Tatis Jr

ChiTownEddie
Mar 26, 2010

Awesome beer, no pants.
Join the Legion.

Kevlar v2.0 posted:

I also think about jamming needles into skin when I hear about Fernando Tatis Jr

Hahaha loving incredible

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

Kevlar v2.0 posted:

:drat:

BigDumper
Feb 15, 2008

Kevlar v2.0 posted:

:vince:

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

Kevlar v2.0 posted:

:yeshaha:

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer
:lol:

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

"LET'S GET DOWN TO WORK!!"

Kevlar v2.0 posted:

:master:

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!
MLB and Manfred allowed this to linger because they didn't punish any of the unrepentant cheaters on the team and also didn't vacate the title. If they had done both of those things I would be over in the minds' of many people. But on the other hand the Astro fans here and I'm sure the rest of the fanbase don't give a poo poo and are full on mask off not giving a poo poo that they cheated as long as they win.

MrMidnight
Aug 3, 2006

mcmagic posted:

MLB and Manfred allowed this to linger because they didn't punish any of the unrepentant cheaters on the team and also didn't vacate the title. If they had done both of those things I would be over in the minds' of many people. But on the other hand the Astro fans here and I'm sure the rest of the fanbase don't give a poo poo and are full on mask off not giving a poo poo that they cheated as long as they win.

Thanks none of us have ever heard your opinion on this yet.

Paracaidas
Sep 24, 2016
Consistently Tedious!

Kevlar v2.0 posted:

:golfclap:

mcmagic posted:

MLB and Manfred allowed this to linger because they didn't punish any of the unrepentant cheaters on the team and also didn't vacate the title.
Under what authority would ownership do this? :allears:

Paracaidas
Sep 24, 2016
Consistently Tedious!
In other Padres Fanfest discussions:

Optimism posted:

Well before this offseason’s rash of free-agent mega-contracts, Padres officials had received indications that Machado was leaning toward opting out of his deal after the end of the 2023 season. Now, if a new agreement is not reached in the next nine months, the runner-up for the 2022 NL MVP Award clearly intends to exercise that right.

On Saturday, Machado was asked about his interest in working out another contract to keep him in San Diego.

“The priority is not (that),” Machado said. “I think that’s on A.J. and Peter and the organization. I’ve expressed myself on where we stand, and I think the main focus for me during the season is to go out there and play baseball and … trying to bring a championship to this team and to this city that’s been waiting for a long time.”

For now, there has been no evidence of serious negotiations on a new deal, though Preller has said the Padres intend to discuss Machado’s future with the infielder in the coming weeks and months. In December, after the team signed Bogaerts, Seidler said: “Our very strong intent — very strong — is to have Manny here for the rest of his career.”

Machado, who turns 31 in July, would have five years and $150 million left on his current contract after the upcoming season. Retaining him for good might require adding at least another five years and another $150 million. Bogaerts, Aaron Judge and Trea Turner — all free agents the Padres courted — recently signed contracts that will take them past their 40th birthdays. By Wins Above Replacement, Machado has been a more accomplished player than any of those three, though he has not reached the heights Judge attained in 2022.

The Padres star also would be the second-best free agent in the 2023-24 class, behind Shohei Ohtani. That is, if Machado reaches the open market.

“There’s definitely some thinking in, ‘How do we take care of Manny?’ and hopefully it doesn’t even get to that point,” said one person familiar with the Padres’ thinking.

As Machado pointed out, the first move belongs to the team.

Don't cry because it's over, smile because it happened posted:

Soto, who can become a free agent after the 2024 season, also fielded questions about his future. The outfielder last season rejected a 15-year, $440 million offer from the Nationals. Weeks later, he was traded to a Padres franchise that surrendered several of its best young talents to acquire Soto and a rental player in Josh Bell. While Seidler has spoken of trying to keep Soto for years to come, most people in the industry believe the Scott Boras client is bound for free agency.

“I mean, I have two more years here,” Soto said. “I think that’s a long time if you go day by day and try to enjoy it. Every moment, every second that I’m here, like I did (with) the Nationals, I’m happy to be here. I have two more years, and we’re going to see what’s going to happen after that.”

habeasdorkus
Nov 3, 2013

Royalty is a continuous shitposting motion.

zoux posted:

As AM Rosenthal, EIC of the NYT in the seventies famously put it: "You can gently caress an elephant if you want, but you can't cover the circus."

Thanks, Marty Baron. I'm glad to know you think women who've been sexually assaulted can't cover sexual assault, and that black people can't cover racism. You poltroon.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

habeasdorkus posted:

Thanks, Marty Baron. I'm glad to know you think women who've been sexually assaulted can't cover sexual assault, and that black people can't cover racism. You poltroon.

https://twitter.com/adams_at/status/1622290547607048194

habeasdorkus
Nov 3, 2013

Royalty is a continuous shitposting motion.
Keep loving Jim Crane's loafers, buddy.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

At least he hired a good GM. It's important to have a good GM.

quote:

Cashman continued his explanation of the toughness of New York, and the heightened expectations that come along with being one of the faces of the Yankees, and recognizes that the team will only be measured by championships, whether it’s fair or not.

“It was funny, I was just talking to Omar Minaya, one of my special assistants,” Cashman said. “Last night, we're having a little dinner and I was talking with him and my son, Teddy and we were talking about how the season ended.
I was like, ‘Where did, how far did we get? We got knocked out in the first or second round?’ Omar was talking me about it today, he was like, ‘Man, you guys are in it so much that you can’t remember what happened?’

“I'm like, ‘Well, you know, to be quite honest, Omar, the truth was in the end, we were four games short of a World Series appearance, but it felt like the way our fanbase reacted and the press that we got knocked out in the first round. So you can't really remember sometimes reality versus the perception, and the perception was we didn't do well. The reality was we had a hell of another run at it but, but fell short. But that’s just the New York market.”

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!
They got the gate for 5 home playoff games. Thats more than enough for Hal and Cashman.

Kevlar v2.0
Dec 25, 2003

=^•⩊•^=

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

:vince:

LonesomeCrowdedWest
May 8, 2008
Lmao

Mr. Fix It
Oct 26, 2000

💀ayyy💀

:patriot:

AlbertFlasher
Feb 14, 2006

Hulk Hogan and the Wrestling Boot Band

lol

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=

:perfect:

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

MLB The Show is going to have Negro League players for the first time

https://twitter.com/mlbtheshow/status/1622595974853201922?s=46&t=i35O2v6b9dRowd7Ub5yEjw

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

Are their families getting royalties?

tadashi
Feb 20, 2006

zoux posted:

At least he hired a good GM. It's important to have a good GM.

I can 100% identify with this man not remembering what happened 4 months ago.

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

psst you wanna do a communism?
https://twitter.com/Jeeho_1/status/1622536401677086721
:lol: This org sucks

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

LOL going from the Rays to a LESS player friendly organization.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

camoseven
Dec 30, 2005

RODOLPHONE RINGIN'

Just awful, stupid poo poo. I hate the Pirates and my emotional investment in them.