Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

External Organs posted:

Act 1 and 5 are cool. What's funny is that there's zones you can't go into without adventure mode, and those zones are cool as hell.

Edit: I guess act 3 is also pretty good.

Act 3 constantly has the villain show up to explain his evil plans and how you cannot possibly defeat him.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dameius
Apr 3, 2006
If you view the campaign as a parody of a low budget Saturday morning cartoon season it works pretty well. That isn't what they were trying to do though so....

kliras
Mar 27, 2021
yeah, act 3 is where you realize that the story is just peak stupid with no point of return

External Organs
Mar 3, 2006

One time i prank called a bear buildin workshop and said I wanted my mamaws ashes put in a teddy from where she loved them things so well... The woman on the phone did not skip a beat. She just said, "Brang her on down here. We've did it before."
Oh, yeah. The story is trash. The environments are fun though.

marshalljim
Mar 6, 2013

yospos
Oh no, a videogame with a bad story. Whatever shall I do? *faints dramatically*

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

D3 is a classic example of form versus presentation because if someone merely described the major story beats to you then you’d think “oh that sounds pretty Diablo” but then when you watch the story for yourself it’s an evil butterfly lady and a fat man facetiming you.

Potassium Problems
Sep 28, 2001

exquisite tea posted:

an evil butterfly lady and a fat man facetiming you.

Bayonetta and Enzo tormenting Luka

Snacksmaniac
Jan 12, 2008

External Organs posted:

Oh, yeah. The story is trash. The environments are fun though.

All the stuff that happens in the background in 3 and 4 are really cool. Just ignore the text!

DarkMatt
Nov 3, 2010
Game's story would be 50% better if no one ever said anything.

Diablo in the 1930s. Just give me subtitled dialogue and piano music.

Dameius
Apr 3, 2006

DarkMatt posted:

Game's story would be 50% better if no one ever said anything.

Diablo in the 1930s. Just give me subtitled dialogue and piano music.

D3 would be subtitles and a kazoo.

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

Diablo 2 and 3 have basically the same story: Diablo possesses human then splits person open like a fleshy cocoon. Then you punch him for loot.

D4 will be the same but whether or not the story sucks depends how they tell it. Just hope it's not Elden ring style where you pick up vague bits and pieces by reading things. Nor do I want to face time villains every time I blow up their plot mcguffin.

Vakal
May 11, 2008
D4 is going to have you travel back in time to recruit a teenaged Deckard Cain who follows your character around making constant remakes about what it going on in a nasally voice.

Incoherence
May 22, 2004

POYO AND TEAR

External Organs posted:

What's funny is that there's zones you can't go into without adventure mode, and those zones are cool as hell.
Several of the Adventure Mode-only zones appear to be salvaged from a scrapped second expansion.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

Those poor Horadrim we sent to the Skovos Isles...

Im_Special
Jan 2, 2011

Look At This!!! WOW!
It's F*cking Nothing.

Mustached Demon posted:

Just hope it's not Elden ring style where you pick up vague bits and pieces by reading things.

This would be cool actually, Dark Souls is up there at the very top for me on how to tell the story/lore/world-building when it comes to games.

Bobfromsales
Apr 2, 2010
I'LL GET YOU NEXT TIME, NEPHALIM.

Ulvino
Mar 20, 2009

exquisite tea posted:

Those poor Horadrim we sent to the Skovos Isles...

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

Im_Special posted:

This would be cool actually, Dark Souls is up there at the very top for me on how to tell the story/lore/world-building when it comes to games.

I don't trust blizz to be able to execute it well.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Blizzard already has the perfect template for storytelling, and it's Diablo II. They don't need to borrow long-winded item descriptions or anything from Elden Ring because D1&2 already had great narratives. Whether or not you think Blizzard of the last 20 years can actually do anything with as much comparative restraint is another matter entirely.

DarkMatt
Nov 3, 2010
Sanct-Hawaii is no loving joke.

The problem is that they want to tell an epic fantasy, except I don't think they have ever succeeded in nailing that because they'll eventually write the dumbest dialogue to deflate the whole castle. I sincerely doubt they are reflecting upon what parts of story didn't work in the past, because I doubt the same writers for D1, 2, and/or 3 are writing for D4. My bet on why this keeps happening is because story continues to be an afterthought and the people who actually stick around and drive Diablo development adamantly believe we want something like Lord of the Rings mixed with satanism. I doubt they themselves even like that, they're just convinced that's what Diablo is and that's what works, when it never did.

Basically, the aristocrats.

On paper this would work so well. But the old farts in Diablo's devteam need to understand that they aren't an epic fantasy and they need to stop writing Diablo like it is, because it never works. Just have the focus be the foreverwar. Stop trying to have the focus be about demon daughter of the devil or triforces or mortal men or just angsty misery. Everything happens in Diablo because of war. Most everyONE in Diablo who actually cares about more than mortals acts to stop that war. Work in that range and your story would probably stop sucking.

Bobfromsales
Apr 2, 2010
Nobody who was responsible for d2 worked on d3 and I'm pretty sure no one responsible for d3 works on D4.

They are sequels only because their parent company owns the IP. Otherwise they are works of fanfiction.

Bobfromsales fucked around with this message at 01:22 on Feb 5, 2023

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

The story of the first two games worked so well because they held a very low opinion of humanity in general. There was a pervasive sense of futility as people found themselves caught in an ancient conflict without beginning or end that was far beyond their ability to control or even comprehend. Even when a temporary victory was achieved, it always came at great cost, and evil would always, inevitably find a way to prevail. Neither side was particularly invested in the fate of mortals because Sanctuary was just another battleground for them. The concept of Heaven and Hell both being ultimately indifferent to humanity and general miserabilist tone of the game was one of Diablo's most unique aspects, as far as Blizzard's catalogue goes. But one of D4's cinematics already shows some kind of epic battle so I think that ship has long since sailed.

kliras
Mar 27, 2021

Bobfromsales posted:

Nobody who was responsible for d2 worked on d3 and I'm pretty sure no one responsible for d3 works on D4.

They are sequels only because their parent company owns the IP. Otherwise they are works of fanfiction.
the next logical move is to play torchlight infinite

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=THqe5sWUOSc

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow
The next logical step is to accept that you've grown out of Diablo

Dameius
Apr 3, 2006

Star Man posted:

No I demand that every subsequent Diablo game make me feel like the memory of how I felt as a kid with infinite free time and no responsibility playing my favorite game.

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

Star Man posted:

Just make it accessible enough I can play with kiddo demon.

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

kliras posted:

the next logical move is to play torchlight infinite

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=THqe5sWUOSc

Between the sound design, speech pattern, weird off-camera staring and the 4-minute monologue just to say "my phone ARPG is innovative and revolutionary because it has six classes, countless item affixes, and no daily stamina limits" I cannot tell whether this is a real video or a Tim & Eric skit

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
SOME REALLY TEDIOUS DUMB SHIT THAT SUCKS ASS TO READ ->>
it's an ad and all that odd poo poo makes it a decent reflection fo torchlight infinite lol

TI is, like, not quite fully cooked by pc arpg standards, but it's overall very good by mobile arpg standards, by which I mean that it's an actual game that works as a game and has some depth and poo poo. It's also a good enough arpg that if you are one of those freaks who plays every one that ever comes out it's likely worth trying if you're bored of everything else on the market.

honestly if blizz had released TI as DI, people would've been entirely happy and would've played the hell out of it and there would've been .1% of the uproar.

that said, if you want a easy to get into arpg fix, imo just buy chronicon. Or maybe slormancer, which is good, but less finished than chronicon.

Herstory Begins Now fucked around with this message at 05:45 on Feb 5, 2023

DarkMatt
Nov 3, 2010
I may not be a fan of information overload because I've bounced from Chronicon 3 times by now. Maybe I'm stupid, or I just need to learn how to not care about optimization until it's a problem.

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
SOME REALLY TEDIOUS DUMB SHIT THAT SUCKS ASS TO READ ->>
Yeah I get that. Tbh i was frustrated that the resources to minmax the best builds and, hell, to even just know what the best builds are simply didn't exist for chronicon and slormancer, at least not a year ago when I last played each. I think it was fun because of that as much as in spite of that, but it was also kind of wild realizing just how much I take for granted that there's a maintained, up-to-date wiki of game mechanics and countless youtube build guides and so on for most games that I play.

Herstory Begins Now fucked around with this message at 11:01 on Feb 5, 2023

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

I couldn't tell you the story of d3 outside of a vague outline. I'm still playing it after 10 years though so they got somethingright. If the gameplay is good, I can forgive the writers quite a bit. The story in d2 was better I guess but it was just "sorry you just missed the guy you're chasing" for 3 of the 4 acts. There was cool stuff peppered in there but that's my vague retelling.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Vakal posted:

D4 is going to have you travel back in time to recruit a teenaged Deckard Cain who follows your character around making constant remakes about what it going on in a nasally voice.

"I just identified poo poo. WITH MY MIND!"

Mailer
Nov 4, 2009

Have you accepted The Void as your lord and savior?

Star Man posted:

The next logical step is to accept that you've grown out of Diablo 2

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow

I meant all of it, you hack

Mymla
Aug 12, 2010

Suburban Dad posted:

but it was just "sorry you just missed the guy you're chasing" for 3 of the 4 acts. There was cool stuff peppered in there but that's my vague retelling.
Nah, the story of diablo 2 is the story marius narrates in the cutscenes. The moment it deviates from that (the act 5 intro cinematic) it kinda turns to poo poo, but marius' story is high quality. The story the player character experiences is kinda meh, but some of the dialogue with the npcs in the cities is decent enough.

Vakal
May 11, 2008
Pretty much every other Blizzard series devolves into "here comes an even greater evil! now the enemies must work together!" I'm surprised Diablo hasn't gotten there yet.

I thought I pegged them for making Imperious the next big baddie which would open up the gates for demon-faction "heroes"

Mad Dragon
Feb 29, 2004

Vakal posted:

Pretty much every other Blizzard series devolves into "here comes an even greater evil! now the enemies must work together!" I'm surprised Diablo hasn't gotten there yet.

Diablo 5: The Enemies are the Friends You Meet Along the Way

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow

Mad Dragon posted:

Why are they all goons?

Dameius
Apr 3, 2006

Mad Dragon posted:

That was D3's plot, when you think about it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mad Dragon
Feb 29, 2004

Dameius posted:

That was D3's plot, when you think about it.

Everything gets recycled in video games and movies.