Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

smoobles
Sep 4, 2014

I've always felt World War Z would've been a great anthology TV show instead of the abomination of a film they made.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

th3t00t
Aug 14, 2007

GOOD CLEAN FOOTBALL

Ballz posted:

Plus it's never explained how Bill got that infected-tester doodad he used immediately on Frank. A lot happened in all of those years the episode never touched on, leaving it to our imaginations to fill in all the gaps. :)
I assumed Bill murdered whatever FEDRA happened to stumble upon his compound and took their tester doodad. I don't see how he would have one otherwise. He didn't establish trade with Joel + Tess for another 4(?) years. And he was still thoroughly against establishing contact with any outsiders then.

ShowTime
Mar 28, 2005

Moltke posted:

it will be hard to go back to an (inevitably(watch me be proven wrong)) less good version of the road with joel and abbie traveling west this week, unless they do more anthology entries.

honestly a shared setting zombie apocalypse show does sound infinitely more interesting to me now. you can have actual stakes for the characters.

I was honestly thinking about this, now and when the series was announced. Honestly, the game is boring as poo poo story wise. For those that have played the game, this is what I expect the next few episodes to look like: next episode is gonna be driving and relationship building, culminating in the arrival at the city, ambush by bandits, meeting the boys and end with the killing of the infected kid. Episode 5 is gonna be a time skip, we get to the encampment with the brother do that whole thing, then go to the university. Episode 6 is gonna be a big one, with the arrival at the university, Joel gets injured and the winter hole up. Episode 7 is gonna be a largely Ellie episode, we get to see the creepy guy arch and ends with the killing of creepy guy. Episode 8 is another time skip and character building, arriving at the fireflies, ending with Joel learning Ellie is gonna be used to experiment on. Episode 9 is the fight, escape, the relationship reaches its climax and ends on a high note of Joel and Ellie finding friends. Onwards to Season 2 in like, 3 years (real time, way longer in show time).

As much as I love the game, the story is kind of boring. It's a lot of filler. The gameplay is what made TLOU so good. The relationship building between Joel and Ellie is what really drives the story. Pedro Pascal can do no wrong in my eyes, is killing it so far as Joel and I only expect him to continue doing that. Bella Ramsey, who i'm honestly a big fan of (Catherine Called Birdy is a solid movie btw) isn't really doing the same. I'm not really sure its her fault and more the writing, but we'll see. I know she can do some emotional stuff and I expect it to come out next episode (if my episode prediction comes true at leaste). If it doesn't then, I'm not sure it will. Maybe in episode 7, when she maybe kills the creepy guy.

smoobles posted:

I've always felt World War Z would've been a great anthology TV show instead of the abomination of a film they made.

Also, yes. They do zombie movie remakes all the time, and if anything deserves it, World War Z does. That poo poo would be a huge hit.

Cpt. Mahatma Gandhi
Mar 26, 2005

th3t00t posted:

I assumed Bill murdered whatever FEDRA happened to stumble upon his compound and took their tester doodad. I don't see how he would have one otherwise. He didn't establish trade with Joel + Tess for another 4(?) years. And he was still thoroughly against establishing contact with any outsiders then.

Frank even asks, “Where did you get one of those things?” to which Bill characteristically doesn’t respond. That seems like a pretty clear indication (at least to me) that Bill has had his run-ins with FEDRA and is resourceful and skilled enough to steal from them, if not outright kill them and loot their gear.

Cpt. Mahatma Gandhi fucked around with this message at 00:06 on Feb 5, 2023

thebardyspoon
Jun 30, 2005
I assume there'd be abandoned outposts/checkpoints all over. In this world it'd be like finding a thermometer or whatever.

Ballz
Dec 16, 2003

it's mario time

It's also noteworthy that not only does he have it, but he knows what it is and how to use it. He's definitely had enough run-ins with outsiders to have a grasp on what's happening outside of his fortified neighborhood.

th3t00t
Aug 14, 2007

GOOD CLEAN FOOTBALL
It's new FEDRA tech. Bill and Frank met in 2007? That's only 4 years into the pandemic. How many of these devices could even exist by that point? It's a non-industiral world outside of the bullet and pills factory in Atlanta.

There's been no indication that FEDRA has outposts or checkpoints outside of the QZs.

The other question is how would Bill know what the device is, or what it does, or how to operate it if he found it at an abandoned outpost?

My assumption of how he got it:

A FEDRA scavenging patrol with 2-4 members show up at his gate.

FEDRA: Hey guy, let us in

Bill: No

FEDRA: Look, we've got this new testing device that will show you that we're not infected. *Demonstrates the device on fellow FEDRA guys* See? We're not infected. Now let us in so that we can test you too.

Bill: gently caress off

FEDRA: Well in that case you're under arrest and we're coming in whether you like it or not *proceeds to get murdered by the fence, flame throwers, Bill shooting, falling in the Frank hole, etc*

Bill: *loots the tester from the FEDRA agents he just murdered*

Kazzah
Jul 15, 2011

Formerly known as
Krazyface
Hair Elf
edit: gently caress it, even with spoiler tags there's no point in talking about this in this thread

Remy Marathe
Mar 15, 2007

_________===D ~ ~ _\____/

This last episode was 20 years condensed into less than an hour, with big time skips, so I find it a little odd that anyone's looking for explicit answers to specifics like how exactly he got an infection scanner. Incongruous details like that, provided with little to no comment, serve a side purpose in making you infer that lots of other stories happened, and you feel like the bits they've shown you are just glimpses of something bigger. Like they didn't pause in Star Wars to explain to you, the audience, why exactly their ships were dirty. That's left to fan fiction.

You know why that piano was so out of tune? The Murphy.

Nottherealaborn
Nov 12, 2012

ShowTime posted:

I was honestly thinking about this, now and when the series was announced. Honestly, the game is boring as poo poo story wise. For those that have played the game, this is what I expect the next few episodes to look like: next episode is gonna be driving and relationship building, culminating in the arrival at the city, ambush by bandits, meeting the boys and end with the killing of the infected kid. Episode 5 is gonna be a time skip, we get to the encampment with the brother do that whole thing, then go to the university. Episode 6 is gonna be a big one, with the arrival at the university, Joel gets injured and the winter hole up. Episode 7 is gonna be a largely Ellie episode, we get to see the creepy guy arch and ends with the killing of creepy guy. Episode 8 is another time skip and character building, arriving at the fireflies, ending with Joel learning Ellie is gonna be used to experiment on. Episode 9 is the fight, escape, the relationship reaches its climax and ends on a high note of Joel and Ellie finding friends. Onwards to Season 2 in like, 3 years (real time, way longer in show time).

As much as I love the game, the story is kind of boring. It's a lot of filler. The gameplay is what made TLOU so good. The relationship building between Joel and Ellie is what really drives the story. Pedro Pascal can do no wrong in my eyes, is killing it so far as Joel and I only expect him to continue doing that. Bella Ramsey, who i'm honestly a big fan of (Catherine Called Birdy is a solid movie btw) isn't really doing the same. I'm not really sure its her fault and more the writing, but we'll see. I know she can do some emotional stuff and I expect it to come out next episode (if my episode prediction comes true at leaste). If it doesn't then, I'm not sure it will. Maybe in episode 7, when she maybe kills the creepy guy.

Also, yes. They do zombie movie remakes all the time, and if anything deserves it, World War Z does. That poo poo would be a huge hit.

So much of this is actually the opposite of how I feel on a few things from game and show. I really like the plot of the game. It might not be ground breaking, but it’s still quite good. Absolutely agree that it’s ultimately the character development that makes TLOU so good though. Disagree on gameplay though. It’s fun, but I think most people consider the gameplay to be good, not great.

Regarding the show, I think Bella is already showing that she’s an excellent Ellie. Her mannerisms and delivery of lines morris video game Ellie so well. Meanwhile, we haven’t really had a chance for Pedro to showcase his acting chops too much outside of Sarah’s death and killing the FEDRA guard he knew. Most of his scenes though I haven’t really felt like he’s showing enough of what emotion Joel is feeling, but some of that can also be attributed to some of the changes between the game and show so far.

Automata 10 Pack
Jun 21, 2007

Ten games published by Automata, on one cassette
All three episodes are good and you’re are all whack.

Also I’m putting money on them making an episode based on the Left Behind DLC. When I first heard people start to talk about episode 3 on Twitter I thought that the episode was about that.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

smoobles posted:

I remember being so bored and checked out for about 90% of that movie and then getting excited for exactly one scene in the middle of the film where the guy who's supposed to be Jurgen Warmbrunn, but isn't, starts quoting lines from the Warmbrunn-Knight Report, and I was like "oh, finally, something that's actually from the book!". And then it's over in barely a minute because it turns into another shitshow action scene.

But I came away from it thinking much the same, that it would have made for an awesome mini series or TV show if they just adapted each vignette from the book. Then again, I own both versions of the audio book, both abridged and complete, and that satisfied my need for something like that well enough as it was, so I can't complain.

Doktor Avalanche
Dec 30, 2008

lack summer is a good apoc-postapoc/zombie show set in the TWD world

Janitor Ludwich IV
Jan 25, 2019

by vyelkin
Wow people really connected to the one about two dudes kissing and eating strawberries huh

Moltke
May 13, 2009
its a gay forum

Janitor Ludwich IV
Jan 25, 2019

by vyelkin

Moltke posted:

its a gay forum

Dead and gay just like our heroes bill and jeff

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

Janitor Ludwich IV posted:

Wow people really connected to the one about two dudes kissing and eating strawberries huh

Gays and fruits, what a wonderful pairing. This, Call Me by Your Name, I'm sure some others.

Janitor Ludwich IV
Jan 25, 2019

by vyelkin

GoutPatrol posted:

Gays and fruits, what a wonderful pairing. This, Call Me by Your Name, I'm sure some others.

The wine was just a metaphor for their blooming relationship.

Same as the mushrooms. So thematic. This show is gonna clean up on awards night.

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

psst you wanna do a communism?

That DICK! posted:

Oh wait I was thinking of a different game in a different game
Yeah you are thinking of Crash Bandicoot in Uncharted 4

freebooter
Jul 7, 2009

th3t00t posted:

It's new FEDRA tech. Bill and Frank met in 2007? That's only 4 years into the pandemic. How many of these devices could even exist by that point? It's a non-industiral world outside of the bullet and pills factory in Atlanta.

There's been no indication that FEDRA has outposts or checkpoints outside of the QZs.

They must surely have some, otherwise how are they transporting said pills and bullets from Atlanta to Boston?

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
They have a working helicopter.

Fixed‐wing aviation is easy mode.

Small White Dragon
Nov 23, 2007

No relation.

GoutPatrol posted:

Hey, maybe Bill was bisexual. They do exist, you know.

Also SNL just did a parody video about HBO's next game adaption.

ShowTime
Mar 28, 2005

Doktor Avalanche posted:

lack summer is a good apoc-postapoc/zombie show set in the TWD world

Black Summer is really good. And it's tied to the Z Nation world, which is hilarious as hell. The shows are nothing alike, other than zombies.

Anonymous Zebra
Oct 21, 2005
Blending in like it ain't no thang

Small White Dragon posted:

Hey, maybe Bill was bisexual. They do exist, you know.

Also SNL just did a parody video about HBO's next game adaption.

LOL, they actually put a legitimate amount of time into the production values for that skit.

Doktor Avalanche
Dec 30, 2008

ShowTime posted:

Black Summer is really good. And it's tied to the Z Nation world, which is hilarious as hell. The shows are nothing alike, other than zombies.

Z Nation? That's a surprise, I thought it was TWD.

Bored As Fuck
Jan 1, 2006
Fun Shoe
Black Summer sucked. Production value was low as gently caress, the characters did dumber things and the show had worse action and more idiotic gun poo poo than TWD, which is a feat in and of itself. At least Z Nation was a comedy that never took itself seriously.

MeinPanzer
Dec 20, 2004
anyone who reads Cinema Discusso for anything more than slackjawed trolling will see the shittiness in my posts
I'm probably the ideal demographic for this show, because while I'm neutral on post-apocalyptic stuff, I A) like stealth/action gameplay and considered playing TLOU but didn't because I have little patience for story-heavy games--I'd much prefer to watch a TV show or movie over a narrative-heavy game; B) all I know about the games is that they're highly praised and story-driven, somehow managing to avoid spoilers; and C) I liked Chernobyl and trust Craig Mazin to do a good job with the source material. Just watched the first three episodes and here are some scattered thoughts.

- Eps 1-2 were fine, but the characters, setting, and premise are middling. The juxtaposition of HBO production values with obvious video game architecture was off-putting at times, but I'm willing to ignore a lot of faults in what basically serves as one extended pilot. I will say, however, that the SFX are pretty dodgy; those exterior Boston scenes were not at all convincing.

- Maybe it's because the games are so esteemed and Mazin did such an excellent job with all the forensic detail of Chernobyl, but I expected the whole cordyceps infection premise to be a lot more thought-out than it actually is. After the end of ep 2 I basically just accepted that it's a magical zombie infection and that I should expect emotional depth rather than clever, detail-oriented world-building.

- The acting is great but the writing is a bit underwhelming, especially in eps 1-2. It's a bit worrisome that twice a well-constructed, taut sequence built to a silly moment that deflated its dramatic impact: when the Indonesian scientist called for bombing (if she had just started crying and asked if she could go to be with her family it would have been so much more effective), and when Bill got shot while standing right in the middle of his illuminated driveway taking potshots at the raiders (come on, he's a prepper--he would have had some kind of setup providing cover!).

- Even though ep 3 verged on mawkishness, the Bill and Frank storyline was really well done and has sold me on the show. Some top-tier acting on display from both Nick Offermann and Murray Bartlett. I really hope we get similar side stories throughout the rest of the season.

FLIPADELPHIA
Apr 27, 2007

Heavy Shit
Grimey Drawer
Respectfully disagree on both counts as to the scenes in question being undermined. The scientist lady calmly stating that the only course of action is bombing everyone was impactful. Sidebar: the most interesting moment in any apocalypse story is that moment when the world fundamentally changes for people. How society breaks down is so much more interesting than what happens "after". The scene with the scientist was an example of how that moment can be well written and play out in a fashion that stuns the viewer. Another posted pointed out that the scene did a good job establishing her as the collected, analytical type that doesn't make snap decisions. Her essentially declaring the end of human civilization hit hard (for me). Zombie shows are often full of people in denial about what's happening. It was refreshing to see someone display a little clarity.

As for Bill being shot, I think the show has built enough credibility with me for me to assume that there was a decent reason for Bill to emerge from cover/concealment to engage the invaders. There are a million reasons he'd need to leave the foxhole but they all boil down to one position almost never being sufficient enough to provide true 360 degree security for a large area- especially if that area has structures or terrain features that occlude line of sight. Bill could have very easily identified a threat that he couldn't engage from cover, so in the moment he made the decision to risk safety for the certainly of preventing attackers from breaching the perimeter. The show indicates that once past the perimeter fence, there may not be secondary defenses and to have even one hostile inside the wire would/could mean the end of their peaceful lives there, so he took the chance.

That's fine with me. Bill knew he was at risk- that's why he yelled at Frank to get back inside. The question is, does the audience know enough about Bill to assume there's a good reason he took that risk? For me the answer is yes, but ymmv

XboxPants
Jan 30, 2006

Steven doesn't want me watching him sleep anymore.

FLIPADELPHIA posted:

Respectfully disagree on both counts as to the scenes in question being undermined. The scientist lady calmly stating that the only course of action is bombing everyone was impactful. Sidebar: the most interesting moment in any apocalypse story is that moment when the world fundamentally changes for people. How society breaks down is so much more interesting than what happens "after". The scene with the scientist was an example of how that moment can be well written and play out in a fashion that stuns the viewer. Another posted pointed out that the scene did a good job establishing her as the collected, analytical type that doesn't make snap decisions. Her essentially declaring the end of human civilization hit hard (for me). Zombie shows are often full of people in denial about what's happening. It was refreshing to see someone display a little clarity.

As for Bill being shot, I think the show has built enough credibility with me for me to assume that there was a decent reason for Bill to emerge from cover/concealment to engage the invaders. There are a million reasons he'd need to leave the foxhole but they all boil down to one position almost never being sufficient enough to provide true 360 degree security for a large area- especially if that area has structures or terrain features that occlude line of sight. Bill could have very easily identified a threat that he couldn't engage from cover, so in the moment he made the decision to risk safety for the certainly of preventing attackers from breaching the perimeter. The show indicates that once past the perimeter fence, there may not be secondary defenses and to have even one hostile inside the wire would/could mean the end of their peaceful lives there, so he took the chance.

That's fine with me. Bill knew he was at risk- that's why he yelled at Frank to get back inside. The question is, does the audience know enough about Bill to assume there's a good reason he took that risk? For me the answer is yes, but ymmv

I thought it was weird how it was made to be this big huge scene, he's critically wounded, maybe even past their ability to care for, he might die here... and then next scene they just skip forward and he's fine and it's never referenced again. Unless I missed something? It reminds me of the thing I just watched with Matt Stone & Trey Parker where they share a writing concept they learned about "but" and "therefore".

Supposedly, in between scenes, when you're plotting out a story, you should be able to put "but" or "therefore" between each scene or plot beat. Like, "this happens /but/ this happens /therefore/ this happens". If instead, it's just "this happens /and then/ this happens /and then/ this happens", your story is much weaker. This felt like an "and then".

Agreed on the scientist, tho. I thought that her quiet realization and acceptance, while the government official guy was still catching on to the severity of the situation, was quite powerful.

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

He was about to die but he didn't, because he let another person into his life who saved him. Therefore, trusting people is good.

I don't know that I'd take screenwriting advice from the south park guys but it fits into their formula.

XboxPants
Jan 30, 2006

Steven doesn't want me watching him sleep anymore.

flashy_mcflash posted:

He was about to die but he didn't, because he let another person into his life who saved him. Therefore, trusting people is good.

I don't know that I'd take screenwriting advice from the south park guys but it fits into their formula.

It's just a general storytelling tip https://www.google.com/search?q=but...chrome&ie=UTF-8, I just happened to see them mention it recently.

But sure, that interpretation works.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

The "therefore/but" structure "fails" there because the point of the scene is not actually that Bill has been injured. In fact, the next jump follows through on the actual point it's making, which is that Bill has dedicated his life to protecting Frank and even while potentially dying is thinking of how to keep him safe.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Furthermore, the episode is basically a very long montage in service of a broader ultimate point, so I think you kind of have to take it more holistically.

Volte
Oct 4, 2004

woosh woosh
I think the time-skip cut from Bill almost dying on the table to Frank on the porch in a wheelchair does a great job of showing that these guys would both be dead a long time ago if not for each other. It's also kind of darkly comic in that it subverts the usual "don't you die on me dammit" death scene cliche by smash cutting to 10 years later and Bill is fine, without comment.

I don't know how intentional it was, but I initially read Frank in the wheelchair as being Bill, paralyzed from the bullet, so when Bill walks out healthy as ever and the delayed Ten Years Later title flashes on the screen, it really drives home the fact that we're in the "they lived happily ever after" part of the story.

Remy Marathe
Mar 15, 2007

_________===D ~ ~ _\____/

I found that death fakeout a great little bit of subverted expectations and realism that contributed perfectly the theme of how unpredictable life is and how little overall control we all have. Usually writers can't resist making characters a little prescient; cavalier and brave when they know they're coming back alive, delivering last words when they know this one's going to be a mortal wound or a suicide mission.

Bill was gutshot and feeling like he was dying, so he said his goodbyes. Turns out being seriously wounded doesn't imbue you with a superhuman sense of exactly how hosed you are.

Stoatbringer
Sep 15, 2004

naw, you love it you little ho-bot :roboluv:

FLIPADELPHIA posted:

Respectfully disagree on both counts as to the scenes in question being undermined. The scientist lady calmly stating that the only course of action is bombing everyone was impactful.

I thought that whole sequence was really well done. You could tell she was gradually realising what was coming and becoming more and more terrified as she knew what the only course of action was to avoid total disaster (though it was too late anyway).

Justin Credible
Aug 27, 2003

happy cat

Stoatbringer posted:

I thought that whole sequence was really well done. You could tell she was gradually realising what was coming and becoming more and more terrified as she knew what the only course of action was to avoid total disaster (though it was too late anyway).

Another, even darker angle would be that she also thought being blown up would be a better fate for everyone than being internally fungus'd out and losing your mind

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010

Against All Tyrants

Ultra Carp

Remy Marathe posted:

I found that death fakeout a great little bit of subverted expectations and realism that contributed perfectly the theme of how unpredictable life is and how little overall control we all have. Usually writers can't resist making characters a little prescient; cavalier and brave when they know they're coming back alive, delivering last words when they know this one's going to be a mortal wound or a suicide mission.

Bill was gutshot and feeling like he was dying, so he said his goodbyes. Turns out being seriously wounded doesn't imbue you with a superhuman sense of exactly how hosed you are.

What I thought interesting about the scene as well was how competent and calm Frank was. He didn't panic, he started working immediately, and did so with a speed and precision that made me wonder if he'd had some kind of medical training in his past life. I think it went a good way towards establishing their relationship as a true partnership — Bill may have been the hardcore suvivalist, but Frank also had his own practiced skills that helped keep them both alive and happy.

FLIPADELPHIA
Apr 27, 2007

Heavy Shit
Grimey Drawer

Justin Credible posted:

Another, even darker angle would be that she also thought being blown up would be a better fate for everyone than being internally fungus'd out and losing your mind

My wife said something very similar after we watched it. She said the scientist was essentially recommending euthanasia on the populace, and from a place of compassion.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Justin Credible
Aug 27, 2003

happy cat

To me it seems more likely that it was the killing everyone for the sake of preventing suffering angle, than her recommending blowing everyone up as a legitimate way to stop the spread.