Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Utility is seven-eighths Proximity.

ro5s posted:

I love to debate and discuss with people who’ve said they’ll cry to teacher when they see incorrect thought

Gyro Zeppeli posted:

Turning "If you argue in here, you'll get banned" to "See, I knew you were to scared to argue" is a weird move. Why would forkboy84 feel at all inclined to post in that thread when you just said if they did, they'd get banned?

I'm saying that the hot takes about the Evil Ukrainians being Nazis who deserve a little imperialism for their own good are just fuckin dogshit but that also the best place for them is a thread all about that topic where they might catch a probe for it yeah. forkboy84 is free to prove me wrong tho.

Darth Walrus posted:

It is also quite well-documented that they are using these arms, training, and publicity to develop and support far-right domestic terrorist movements around the world, which are guaranteed to attack folks like me and the people I care about.

Got a source for this?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Gravitas Shortfall posted:

I'm saying that the hot takes about the Evil Ukrainians being Nazis who deserve a little imperialism for their own good are just fuckin dogshit but that also the best place for them is a thread all about that topic where they might catch a probe for it yeah. forkboy84 is free to prove me wrong tho.

Got a source for this?

Ayup. Posted it up-thread. Here you go.

quote:

Outside Ukraine, Azov occupies a central role in a network of extremist groups stretching from California across Europe to New Zealand, according to law enforcement officials on three continents. And it acts as a magnet for young men eager for combat experience. Ali Soufan, a security consultant and former FBI agent who has studied Azov, estimates that more than 17,000 foreign fighters have come to Ukraine over the past six years from 50 countries.

The vast majority have no apparent links to far-right ideology. But as Soufan looked into the recruitment methods of Ukraine’s more radical militias, he found an alarming pattern. It reminded him of Afghanistan in the 1990s, after Soviet forces withdrew and the U.S. failed to fill the security vacuum. “Pretty soon the extremists took over. The Taliban was in charge. And we did not wake up until 9/11,” Soufan tells TIME. “This is the parallel now with Ukraine.”

At a hearing of the House Committee on Homeland Security in September 2019, Soufan urged lawmakers to take the threat more seriously. The following month, 40 members of Congress signed a letter calling—unsuccessfully—for the U.S. State Department to designate Azov a foreign terrorist organization. “Azov has been recruiting, radicalizing, and training American citizens for years,” the letter said. Christopher Wray, the director of the FBI, later confirmed in testimony to the U.S. Senate that American white supremacists are “actually traveling overseas to train.”

Like I said, ticking time-bomb.

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

fuctifino posted:

Any chance of containing the poo poo opinions about Ukraine in CSPAM?
The problem is someone mentioned theoretical Corbyn-616's response to Ukraine, which is I guess relevant to UKPol. That unfortunately awoke The War Opinions™ and we should at this point just knuckle down for a few pages of absolutely deranged slapfights that belong in any number of other threads.

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013

Darth Walrus posted:

quote:

As reported by the Soufan Center, between 2014 and 2019 approximately 17,000 foreign fighters from over 50 countries traveled to the battlefield, “nearly 90% of whom came from Russia to fight with the pro-Russian separatists in the Donbas, attracting foreigners supporting violent far-right ideologies.” Excluding Russian foreign fighters, up to around 900 foreign fighters joined the Ukrainian side, including a significant but difficult to quantify number of right-wing extremists.

[...]Concerns about a potential flood of far-right foreign fighters to Ukraine in the wake of the 2022 Russian invasion have not to date materialized. According to a May 2022 Counter Extremism Project (CEP) study led by this author and on which this article draws and builds, “only a fraction of those who indicated an interest in traveling to Ukraine after February 2022 actually did so,” with the number of foreign fighters traveling to Ukraine ranging from several hundred to a few thousand. [...] It is important to underline the very significant longstanding and continuing far-right nexus when it comes to foreign fighters on the pro-Russian separatist side in Ukraine. In May 2022, the German news magazine Der Spiegel reported that according to German intelligence, the extreme-right Russian Imperial Movement (RIM)d and the Wagner Group’s Rusiche cadre were engaged in combat operations against Ukrainian forces.

[...]Furthermore, the 2022 Russian invasion does not appear to have provoked a surge in desire among right-wing extremists around the world to travel to Ukraine. The conflict has always divided the movement, with some groups and individuals siding with Russia and some with Ukraine. In Germany, “the first days following the Russian invasion were initially marked by confusion and controversial discussions about how to deal with this ‘White Brotherhood War.’” In France, the majority of far-right extremist groups have historically sided with Russia. In Italy, opinions are more divided. The neo-fascist group Forza Nuova has sided more intensely with Vladimir Putin and the separatist forces since the February 2022 invasion, while the far-right group CasaPound Italia has softened its support for the Ukrainian side. And overall, there has been very little appetite among Italian far-right extremists since February 2022 to travel to Ukraine. This is also the case farther north in Europe. As the Expo Foundation has noted, the leader of the largest Scandinavian extreme right organization, the Nordic Resistance Movement (NRM), stated that “neither side is worth fighting for and dying for.”

[...]According to the May 2022 CEP report that analyzed the far-right and right-wing extremist scenes in seven countries—the United States, Canada, Spain, Italy, France, Germany, and Poland—“the current conflict has not led to a significant flow of extremists to the war zone. There is a lot of discussion and debate among extremists, but very few have traveled to Ukraine.” In the United States, there was “no evidence that anyone currently affiliated with the neo-Nazi accelerationist milieu traveled to Ukraine after the February [2022] invasion.” In Canada, not a single far-right extremist was known as of May 2022 to have traveled to join the 2022 conflict in Ukraine. French security authorities estimate that only 20-30 right-wing extremists are currently in Ukraine. In Poland, while the “young generation of Polish neo-fascists generally sympathize with Ukrainian nationalists, including, in particular, the Azov Movement,” very few have traveled. In mid-March 2022, German authorities stated that right-wing extremists had left or had credibly announced that they were planning to leave for Ukraine, but only a few were supposedly involved in conflict and 13 were said to have already returned to Germany. [...] Overall, the far-right movement’s allure has dimmed in Ukraine, at least for the time being. For all but the most hardened extremists, ideology has taken a backseat in a war for national survival. It is Western democracies with liberal values that are largely arming the Ukrainians. President Zelensky has rallied tens of millions of Ukrainians around a Western-democratic vision for his country, including membership in the European Union, whose liberal and democratic values the far-right abhors. Foreign volunteers that have been flowing in are almost exclusively apolitical and often have little in common with each other beyond being “concerned citizens of the world,” as described by one veteran foreign fighter.

I edited out the citations for readability, but the article itself (from summer 2022) seems to be well-sourced. Of course one could argue that West Point itself is a fascist organization, but :shrug:

Tai
Mar 8, 2006

Darth Walrus posted:

So a minority of the population of Ukraine are cunts but the rest has to suffer. Good to know.

Barrel Cactaur
Oct 6, 2021

Darth Walrus posted:

One largely defused, the Nazi leadership was removed when the unit was fully integrated into the Ukrainian national guard, and the membership became extremely dilute as the unit took losses. After its capture and exchange it was rebuilt as a regular unit with a regular name, 3rd Separate Assault Brigade, and no remaining Neo-nazi branding. Hauling up an article from BEFORE THE WAR to prove your point is kinda old news, effectively Ukraine preformed very well in handling the unit. Kinda dirty to attack Ukraine on this, they were in no position to turn down volunteers after 2014 for the separatist conflict. Azov the organization died long before the name.

Their are still a bunch of Neo-nazis existing in the military, but they are entirely under the command of Ukraine's central command and not in some weirdo separate political units or politically independent PMCs like Wagner or whatever the gently caress Kardov's forces are that are essentially war crime units.

Just like how if you shake any military hard enough Nazis or Nazi like idiots fall out https://www.abc.net.au/news/2018-06-14/photo-shows-nazi-flag-flown-over-australian-army-vehicle/9859618. Ukraine simply knows where most of them are.

Just Another Lurker
May 1, 2009

Darth Walrus posted:

Most of them died in Mariupol, though arseholes still abound everywhere in the world. :shrug:

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Also if we're talking alternatives, I was under the impression that russian occupied territories are training their own neo nazis to carry out suppression of dissent and supply troops for the ongoing invasion.

So, at the very least it seems like Ukraine would be the less nazi option.

ItohRespectArmy
Sep 11, 2019

Cutest In The World, Six Time DDT Ironheavymetalweight champion, Two Time International Princess champion, winner of two tournaments, a Princess Tag Team champion, And a pretty good singer too!
"When I was an idol, I felt nothing every day but now that I'm a pro wrestler I'm in pain constantly!"

Bobby Deluxe posted:

The problem is someone mentioned theoretical Corbyn-616's response to Ukraine, which is I guess relevant to UKPol. That unfortunately awoke The War Opinions™ and we should at this point just knuckle down for a few pages of absolutely deranged slapfights that belong in any number of other threads.

its always great when this comes up and you see half a dozen people who never post ITT but do post 200 times a day in either of the relevant threads to use this as a battlefield to prove their posting valor lol

ThomasPaine
Feb 4, 2009

We have no compassion and we ask no compassion from you. When our turn comes, we shall not make excuses for the terror.
I think Russia's poo poo and Ukraine is also poo poo, but that doesn't justify sending in the troops and shelling Ukrainian cities. There are undoubtedly some very shady far right Ukrainian nationalists, some of whom are near enough fascists, and the government has cosied up to them far too readily by giving groups like Azov formal power. They don't even try to hide their Nazi sympathies. It's also true that many people, if not a majority, in Ukraine's eastern cities, and particularly the breakaway separatist states, consider themselves Russian and would much rather be part of Russia. I absolutely don't buy Putin's line that they were about to be genocided, but they clearly don't want to be part of Ukraine. Russia also is full of fascists, and the war is clearly the product of Russian irredentism rather than some humanitarian effort to protect ethnic Russians. It's a clusterfuck but pretending this is a simple 'Russia bad Ukraine good' situation is childish at best.

Honestly, in Zelensky's place I would been tempted to make the undoubtedly unpopular decision of formally giving up the contested Eastern land then agreeing to a Finland-esque position of non-alignment with either NATO or Moscow. There's been conflict along that border for years, the majority of the people there don't want to be part of Ukraine, and are the cities there really worth all this chaos to hold on to? I don't really think that Putin has any desire to fully annex the entire country. Ofc that decision would likely get the person making it shot, so that needs to be taken into account.

Really the only people I feel genuinely for in the whole thing are the average poor fuckers getting bombed out of their homes and conscripted to fight in a war that they have zero desire to be a part of. Russia obviously deserves most of the blame for that but Ukraine has been totally awful in some of their decisions too - preventing adult men leaving the country for example was loving heinous.

ThomasPaine fucked around with this message at 16:43 on Feb 5, 2023

sinky
Feb 22, 2011

Slippery Tilde

ThomasPaine posted:

Ukraine has been totally awful in some of their decisions too - preventing adult men leaving the country for example was loving heinous.

They did a thing that literally every other country would do in the same situation :eyepop:

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

I HAVE EVEN MORE WORTHLESS BEANIE BABIES IN MY COLLECTION THAN I HAVE WORTHLESS POSTS IN THE BEANIE BABY THREAD YET I STILL HAVE THE TEMERITY TO CRITICIZE OTHERS' COLLECTIONS

IF YOU SEE ME TALKING ABOUT BEANIE BABIES, PLEASE TELL ME TO

EAT. SHIT.

ThomasPaine posted:

t's also true that many people, if not a majority, in Ukraine's eastern cities, and particularly the breakaway separatist states, consider themselves Russian and would much rather be part of Russia. I absolutely don't buy Putin's line that they were about to be genocided, but they clearly don't want to be part of Ukraine. Russia also is full of fascists, and the war is clearly the product of Russian irredentism rather than some humanitarian effort to protect ethnic Russians. It's a clusterfuck but pretending this is a simple 'Russia bad Ukraine good' situation is childish at best.

Honestly, in Zelensky's place I would been tempted to make the undoubtedly unpopular decision of formally giving up the contested Eastern land then agreeing to a Finland-esque position of non-alignment with either NATO or Moscow. There's been conflict along that border for years, the majority of the people there don't want to be part of Ukraine, and are the cities there really worth all this chaos to hold on to?

This works even moreso when you replace Eastern Ukraine with Sudetenland.

More to the point I don't think most people in the east were in support of rejoining Russia - finding statistics is obviously difficult, but in surveys before 2013 it was around a third or so.

ThomasPaine
Feb 4, 2009

We have no compassion and we ask no compassion from you. When our turn comes, we shall not make excuses for the terror.

sinky posted:

They did a thing that literally every other country would do in the same situation :eyepop:

Whatever, doesn't make it right.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

sinky posted:

It would also be hosed up when anybody else did it.

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

Never mind that the support for breaking away from Ukraine has been deliberately whipped up and helped along, by Russia, including having troops illegally in there for loving years before the war.

If one of the counties of Ireland wanted to break off and potentially join the North, and every Irish person going was pointing out that for the past decade it's been flooded with guys with hastily crossed-out Union Jacks on their arms and a suspicious amount of printing presses, would we be reacting like "oh well, will of the people, guess they just culturally consider themselves to be cunts"

ThomasPaine
Feb 4, 2009

Insanely rare TP/OF agreement moment

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I'm as surprised as you but yeah, the hooting and hollering for the ukrainian army to do movie stalingrad with anyone who could pick up a gun is the thing that stopped me reading the war thread. I don't have a good suggestion for an alternative to the current arrangement but I'm far from happy with how many people seem to be all in on dulce et decorum est pro patria mori.

Barrel Cactaur
Oct 6, 2021

Dabir posted:

Never mind that the support for breaking away from Ukraine has been deliberately whipped up and helped along, by Russia, including having troops illegally in there for loving years before the war.

If one of the counties of Ireland wanted to break off and potentially join the North, and every Irish person going was pointing out that for the past decade it's been flooded with guys with hastily crossed-out Union Jacks on their arms and a suspicious amount of printing presses, would we be reacting like "oh well, will of the people, guess they just culturally consider themselves to be cunts"

The union jack comes pre crossed out, indeed taking a hard look at it it seems to be nothing but crossing things out :britain:

OwlFancier posted:

I'm as surprised as you but yeah, the hooting and hollering for the ukrainian army to do movie stalingrad with anyone who could pick up a gun is the thing that stopped me reading the war thread. I don't have a good suggestion for an alternative to the current arrangement but I'm far from happy with how many people seem to be all in on dulce et decorum est pro patria mori.

the thread is far better moderated now and its calmed down a lot from march-may, not running at 30 pages a day anymore.

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

OwlFancier posted:

they are being invaded

ronya
Nov 8, 2010

I'm the normal one.

You hate ridden fucks will regret your words when you eventually grow up.

Peace.

ThomasPaine posted:

Honestly, in Zelensky's place I would been tempted to make the undoubtedly unpopular decision of formally giving up the contested Eastern land then agreeing to a Finland-esque position of non-alignment with either NATO or Moscow. There's been conflict along that border for years, the majority of the people there don't want to be part of Ukraine, and are the cities there really worth all this chaos to hold on to? I don't really think that Putin has any desire to fully annex the entire country. Ofc that decision would likely get the person making it shot, so that needs to be taken into account.

note that Russia did not want independence of the LPR/DPR either in Minsk II - the demand was instead for special autonomous status within Ukraine whilst being de facto under Russian control. That this would permanently install a Russian office in Ukrainian politics would be the intended aim

Partition of both oblasts and then unilateral expulsion of the occupied portions would certainly have been a bold solution, but Russia would resist that outcome (since it would deprive Russia of the prize, i.e., influence in Kyiv) whilst France and Germany would no longer back Ukraine's position in the peace process. And then what?

In that context - of already de facto dependence on France and Germany for support, Ukraine realistically had few choices but to keep kicking the can down the road so that the issue is not costly for France and Germany to deal with

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Dabir posted:

they are being invaded

That doesn't actually make it cause for celebration when people get killed because of that. It's just hosed up and miserable.

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

well tell that to the people doing the invading, not the people defending their homes. like, did you just forget that the context of that quote was young people being sent to a foreign land to die pointlessly over a land dispute in a place they'd never visit and probably never even think about otherwise, entirely manufactured by their leaders? that describes the russian troops! not the ukrainian ones, who are trying not to get shot by russians

Wolfsbane
Jul 29, 2009

What time is it, Eccles?

The only thing the last couple of pages has taught me is that the Ukraine thread appears to make people completely incapable of reading the post in front of them, when it's much more fun to just call everyone who disagrees with you a put in apologist.

Skeletome
Feb 4, 2011

Tell them about the tournament!

does anyone remember bassets bruisers? i wonder if you can still get them!

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Dabir posted:

well tell that to the people doing the invading, not the people defending their homes. like, did you just forget that the context of that quote was young people being sent to a foreign land to die pointlessly over a land dispute in a place they'd never visit and probably never even think about otherwise, entirely manufactured by their leaders? that describes the russian troops! not the ukrainian ones, who are trying not to get shot by russians

My objection, which I thought was articulated clearly, was to people who were not involved in the conflict cheerleading the people who were marching to their deaths like it was a team sport.

And the poem, I think, is rather more generally about the misery of war, it doesn't say anything about where it is fought and I don't think it would be any less true for the french troops in the war it was written about.

frytechnician
Jan 8, 2004

Happy to see me?

Sir Sidney Poitier posted:

Biriths politics is hosed. What country should I move to?

Stay and fight.

MeinPanzer
Dec 20, 2004
anyone who reads Cinema Discusso for anything more than slackjawed trolling will see the shittiness in my posts

ThomasPaine posted:

It's also true that many people, if not a majority, in Ukraine's eastern cities, and particularly the breakaway separatist states, consider themselves Russian and would much rather be part of Russia. I absolutely don't buy Putin's line that they were about to be genocided, but they clearly don't want to be part of Ukraine.

A lot of the rest of what you said is basically right, but this isn't any more. Yes, a large percentage of the residents of the breakaway republics were pro-Russian between 2014 and the 2022 invasion, but that has changed significantly since they came under actual Russian occupation. A lot of reporting has shown that many people who previously identified as culturally Russian or who were mildly pro-Russian in eastern Ukraine are now either neutral or pro-Ukrainian. The actions of Russian troops did a lot to convince people that they don't actually want to be a part of Russia.

This whole discussion just reinforces my impression that the Russian invasion of Ukraine basically broke a lot of people's brains on the left. The mealy mouthed critiques of Ukraine and unwillingness to blame Russia I've heard from some leftist circles since the invasion began is really gross.

MeinPanzer fucked around with this message at 18:04 on Feb 5, 2023

Sir Sidney Poitier
Aug 14, 2006

My favourite actor

frytechnician posted:

Stay and fight.

With whom?

Also I hadn't even noticed my utterly lovely typing there. Kovfefe.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

OwlFancier posted:

My objection, which I thought was articulated clearly, was to people who were not involved in the conflict cheerleading the people who were marching to their deaths like it was a team sport.

Nobody here is doing that, though? TP said that Ukraine not allowing men of service age to leave the country was bad; Dabir pointed out that any other country facing an invasion would do the same. Everyone knows that most Ukrainians involved in the war are being forced to fight a war they don't want, but it's not like Kyiv are instituting a draft for nebulous reasons. The Ukrainian government has itself been forced to take that step, and they too would be happier if there was no need to do it. But they don't have that choice, unless you consider rolling over and dying before a gang of war criminals to be a choice. Saying that they need to do it is not cheerleading, it is not celebratory, it is simply stating a grim necessity.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
In 'Labour are actively antagonistic to the general public' updates:

https://twitter.com/jrc1921/status/1622166876624134144?s=46&t=FBVSJEwa8yZmgIBgIBnPTQ

https://twitter.com/redcollectiveuk/status/1621905155120570370?s=46&t=FBVSJEwa8yZmgIBgIBnPTQ

I definitely think we're hitting the point where talking about 'good Labour MPs' is challenging because them being members of the PLP who haven't been expelled yet is itself an argument against them being 'good'.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Jedit posted:

Nobody here is doing that, though? TP said that Ukraine not allowing men of service age to leave the country was bad; Dabir pointed out that any other country facing an invasion would do the same. Everyone knows that most Ukrainians involved in the war are being forced to fight a war they don't want, but it's not like Kyiv are instituting a draft for nebulous reasons. The Ukrainian government has itself been forced to take that step, and they too would be happier if there was no need to do it. But they don't have that choice, unless you consider rolling over and dying before a gang of war criminals to be a choice. Saying that they need to do it is not cheerleading, it is not celebratory, it is simply stating a grim necessity.

I was referring to why I stopped reading the war thread, not this one.

Though I do find the rationale uncompelling, that it is OK to stop people leaving the country because you plan to draft them, because "you" have no choice.

The would-be-draftees would have a choice if they were allowed to leave, the members of the government may not have a choice but people who could otherwise leave the country would, if they were allowed to, and I think it should be theirs to make.

OwlFancier fucked around with this message at 18:19 on Feb 5, 2023

JoylessJester
Sep 13, 2012

Jedit posted:

Owl's initial post was about the Ukraine thread, and why they don't post there. I mean at least read these posts.

Sir Sidney Poitier
Aug 14, 2006

My favourite actor

I thought I could escape the Ukraine threads here.

JoylessJester
Sep 13, 2012

Darth Walrus posted:

In 'Labour are actively antagonistic to the general public' updates:

https://twitter.com/jrc1921/status/1622166876624134144?s=46&t=FBVSJEwa8yZmgIBgIBnPTQ

https://twitter.com/redcollectiveuk/status/1621905155120570370?s=46&t=FBVSJEwa8yZmgIBgIBnPTQ

I definitely think we're hitting the point where talking about 'good Labour MPs' is challenging because them being members of the PLP who haven't been expelled yet is itself an argument against them being 'good'.

Yeah not really sure how you can be a 'good labour MP' and sit back and watch the party kill the NHS.

That clip also has one of my biggest bug bear tropes 'do more with less'. Even my bosses have given up started sending out stuff basically saying 'we now have to do less'.

JoylessJester fucked around with this message at 18:20 on Feb 5, 2023

Answers Me
Apr 24, 2012

This was literally a Cameron critique of Labour Party policy, now being used by the party themselves. Reminds me of that Thatcher line about her biggest political achievement being Tony Blair

JoylessJester
Sep 13, 2012

Answers Me posted:

This was literally a Cameron critique of Labour Party policy, now being used by the party themselves. Reminds me of that Thatcher line about her biggest political achievement being Tony Blair

This is such a good catch. The Labour party has effectively become the Cameron wing of the Tories.

sinky
Feb 22, 2011

Slippery Tilde

The economy consisting entirely of rent and electricity charges because people can't afford anything else.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

They've been that for a while, really.

ThomasPaine
Feb 4, 2009

MeinPanzer posted:

This whole discussion just reinforces my impression that the Russian invasion of Ukraine basically broke a lot of people's brains on the left. The mealy mouthed critiques of Ukraine and unwillingness to blame Russia I've heard from some leftist circles since the invasion began is really gross.

I think a lot of leftists seem to believe that Russia is still the USSR, rather than a gangster capitalist shithole coasting on the nostalgia of it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jel Shaker
Apr 19, 2003

what’s everyone’s favourite monster munch? mine is any because i’m a fat bastard