Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

RevolverDivider
Nov 12, 2016

I've been running Gundam campaigns with my tabletop group on and off for the past five years or so using a homebrew mod of Dungeon World, can confirm 00 is the best setting for it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
08th MS Team has pretty strong D&D campaign vibes.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled
The early parts kinda do, but in the back third or so it's almost entirely the Shiro show.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Nah the back part feels like an exasperated DM getting tired of all his players' nonsense so he throws an endgame boss into the fight and goes on an elaborate spiel about how much better he is and how all the players are dumbfounded by his awesome skill.

Then some dick rolls a nat 20 and beats the boss with his own arm as a club.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

The arm club didn't even beat Norris or actually even mean anything.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Kanos posted:

The arm club didn't even beat Norris or actually even mean anything.

Yeah, I think Julieta Jurius still has the gold for "Most effective use of own arm as a weapon". Still, good hustle, Shiro.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

chiasaur11 posted:

Yeah, I think Julieta Jurius still has the gold for "Most effective use of own arm as a weapon". Still, good hustle, Shiro.

MechanicalTomPetty
Oct 30, 2011

Runnin' down a dream
That never would come to me
I know virtually everyone involved with or interested in the franchise probably just want to forget it exists, but I'd love to see something set post-G-Saviour where the Earth Federation isn't around to keep the colonies in line anymore. Maybe have a bunch of independent colonies jockeying for control of the Earth-Sphere or maybe a bunch of colonies tried to pull a Jupiter and hosed off to the outer solar system.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
There's that dumb "Gundam but it's the Warring States Period in SPAAAAAACE" manga out there that's set in the UC but post Federation.

RevolverDivider
Nov 12, 2016

Gundam Wing has the strongest tabletop campaign vibes by being an insane mess of players going off the rails into insane tangents and the GM making poo poo up as they go along because they've long since gone way off their initial plans and notes

War and Pieces
Apr 24, 2022

DID NOT VOTE FOR FETTERMAN

MechanicalTomPetty posted:

I know virtually everyone involved with or interested in the franchise probably just want to forget it exists, but I'd love to see something set post-G-Saviour where the Earth Federation isn't around to keep the colonies in line anymore. Maybe have a bunch of independent colonies jockeying for control of the Earth-Sphere or maybe a bunch of colonies tried to pull a Jupiter and hosed off to the outer solar system.
G-Saviour is a gem but nobody can recreate the aesthetics and tone of a pre- 9/11 SciFi Channel movie. It'd have to be set way later

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

War and Pieces posted:

G-Saviour is a gem but nobody can recreate the aesthetics and tone of a pre- 9/11 SciFi Channel movie. It'd have to be set way later

I suppose cubic zirconia is a gem, but just being a gem doesn't make one actually valuable. G-Savior is a cheap imitation that, while not actively bad, is never more than okay in my opinion. It's bland, flavorless pap; which is worse than being outright bad, because it's not even interesting to discuss except in a "how the gently caress did this happen?" way.

War and Pieces
Apr 24, 2022

It was bland and flavourless in a way that is completely different from today's bland and flavourless and that's why I really enjoy it. It's not like I'm nostalgic for the piece itself but I am nostalgic for a world where you could conceive of a bright happy future with playstation graphics.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

https://twitter.com/mobilesuitmia/status/1622092497756327938

JoeGlassJAw
Apr 9, 2010

just watched 0083 for the first time and understand why it gets some hate in this thread. it's not terrible, and it actually presents some cool ideas, but it didn't take the time to expand on them. they basically did nothing with GP02. it had a loving nuke, why did the show drop that to pivot to another colony drop plot ? Nina is actually an interesting character in the first three episodes; then episode 4 starts and she almost immediately becomes this "hysterical woman" trope for the rest of the show. the reveal that Gato was her former lover only serves to insert one scene of tension between Nina and Kou at the end which ends up being completely inconsequential. Cima feels like she's from a different show but she's interesting! i enjoyed when she was on screen. the GP series development could've been more of a focus considering the role Anaheim goes on to play in the UC. i also maybe wasn't paying attention but the Gerbera Tetra basically appears out of nowhere and then immediately gets blasted in half. Going back to read the wiki I guess O'Sullivan gave it to her so yeah I must've been distracted or something. but there's obviously division within Anaheim and that could've been a better focus. Some time focusing on Zeonic merging with Anaheim and what that means for the company and the implications of a third party dealing in arms to two sides of a conflict would've been interesting and an actual reflection on the reality of war in the way that every other UC series does. but it felt like in the back half of the show they were throwing spaghetti at the wall to figure out how to wrap it up. anyway GP03 looks cool and one day I will build the decades old HGUC dendrobium when I'm rich enough to both a) buy it and b) buy a second home to store it in

also I watched 0080 which is perfect in every way and the best gundam show ever written thank you for coming to my TED talk

edit: vvv yeah you're right. i guess i just thought if you're gonna introduce chekhov's nuke have it be the central conflict of the show rather than a mid-season act break. but yeah i forgot how much of the fleet it destroyed so that was still a big impact

JoeGlassJAw fucked around with this message at 16:39 on Feb 5, 2023

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

JoeGlassJAw posted:

they basically did nothing with GP02. it had a loving nuke, why did the show drop that to pivot to another colony drop plot ?

It fired the nuke at the fleet review. It had one shot.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Anaheim in Zeta is still a weapons manufacturer but there they are a lot more unambigiously good since they're backing the AEUG even if it means turning their guns on their biggest customer in the Federation. Stardust Memory feels to me like the point where Anaheim Electronics shifted from their original role as the guys who gave AEUG the Nemo suits into the shady third party conglomerate that Operation Paperclip'd hundreds of Zeon mobile suit developers and has been perpetuating post-One Year War conflicts for profit. Then you add Unicorn associating them with the Vist Foundation and they're a lot more reprehensible.

Fivemarks
Feb 21, 2015
And considering the original plans Tomino had for Anaheim, that, uh, it all really stinks.

Omnicrom
Aug 3, 2007
Snorlax Afficionado

Fivemarks posted:

And considering the original plans Tomino had for Anaheim, that, uh, it all really stinks.

What were the original plans for Anaheim?

Arc Hammer posted:

Anaheim in Zeta is still a weapons manufacturer but there they are a lot more unambigiously good since they're backing the AEUG even if it means turning their guns on their biggest customer in the Federation. Stardust Memory feels to me like the point where Anaheim Electronics shifted from their original role as the guys who gave AEUG the Nemo suits into the shady third party conglomerate that Operation Paperclip'd hundreds of Zeon mobile suit developers and has been perpetuating post-One Year War conflicts for profit. Then you add Unicorn associating them with the Vist Foundation and they're a lot more reprehensible.

The managed to somewhat pivot back towards good guys eventually in V Gundam when they started being the suppliers for the League Militia.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

https://twitter.com/mobilesuitmia/status/1622077602704793600?t=8C9SjFnX73kuBs8dNXWC0w&s=19

Fivemarks
Feb 21, 2015

Omnicrom posted:

You ever seen Angel Cop?

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
Remember that the side stories like the 08 series were written much later. In Tomino's original UC saga, Anaheim has a pretty clear arc. In Zeta, they're a bit shady but genuinely committed to the side of good. In ZZ, all the nice, idealistic Anaheim employees either get killed off or get shoved aside, leaving only the shady assholes behind. In CCA, they're simple war profiteers merrily selling to both sides and profiting from human misery.

War and Pieces
Apr 24, 2022

Omnicrom posted:

The managed to somewhat pivot back towards good guys eventually in V Gundam when they started being the suppliers for the League Militia.

Tomino felt compelled to describe Anaheim's opinion towards Israel but had to text to specify that it should never be directly brought up on screen.

Mister Olympus
Oct 31, 2011

Buzzard, Who Steals From Dead Bodies

War and Pieces posted:

Tomino felt compelled to describe Anaheim's opinion towards Israel but had to text to specify that it should never be directly brought up on screen.

lmao i had to look this up and what the hell? maybe it is better that ZZ got derailed as bad as it did if the alternative was something to do with that

Caros
May 14, 2008

:wtc:

Anshu
Jan 9, 2019

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Well, we can agree with the last sentence, at least.

ghosthorse
Dec 15, 2011

...you forget so easily...
yeesh, I didn’t know the z stood for zionist

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Protocols of the Elders of Zeon

ghosthorse
Dec 15, 2011

...you forget so easily...

Arc Hammer posted:

Protocols of the Elders of Zeon

:golfclap:

Bugblatter
Aug 4, 2003

So, I finished both Unicorn and Thunderbolt. Both were well animated, so each they hit that mark. I wasn’t a big fan of Unicorn’s art style and the story was kinda dumb.

Thunderbolt ruled though. Gorgeous art style, the jazz was great, I enjoyed pretty much everything. Except… is episode 8 really the end? It feels like a lead in to another episode. Is there something you’re meant to watch afterward?

I started 08th MS Team but am finding the cartoonish art style and cheaper production values a bit hard to get into.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Welcome to the club of waiting for more Thunderbolt. Did you watch the ONA episodes? Normally I'm all for watching Gundam shows in their original format, but for Thunderbolt I make an exception because the show works much, much better when you watch the compilation films. Cleaned up animation in a number of spots and they flow better than in 15 minute chunks.

08th MS Team can be take it or leave it, but I won't knock the visuals. Toshihiro Kawamoto is a peak 90s character designer.

Bugblatter
Aug 4, 2003

Arc Hammer posted:

Welcome to the club of waiting for more Thunderbolt. Did you watch the ONA episodes? Normally I'm all for watching Gundam shows in their original format, but for Thunderbolt I make an exception because the show works much, much better when you watch the compilation films. Cleaned up animation in a number of spots and they flow better than in 15 minute chunks.

08th MS Team can be take it or leave it, but I won't knock the visuals. Toshihiro Kawamoto is a peak 90s character designer.

Yeah I watched the 8 episode version. I enjoyed the eye candy enough that I might rewatch the movie editions if the animation is cleaned up. So it’s an ongoing series? I guess I can look forward to that along with Hathaway 2.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
I mean the last piece of new Thunderbolt animation came out in 2017 so we're gonna be waiting for a very long time if they ever get back to it. Check out December Sky and Bandit Flower, those are the compilation films. December Sky has an extended ending sequence you might enjoy.

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

it's a manga getting adapted and the only news of more anime is "well we haven't said we won't make more" so if you want the rest of the story you'll need to read the manga

Caros
May 14, 2008

You know it's real because Melanie Hue Carbine. A very traditional Jewish name.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

what in the world, lol

It's like he got halfway to a vaguely interesting idea which would even tie back into the text in a tragic way (space settlement analogized to the original Zionist idea but on terra nullius for real-real) and then decided "nah I bought this Protocols book at the Lawson for three hundred yen, let's use that instead"

ManSedan
May 7, 2006
Seats 4
Okay of all the places 0083 Rebellion went I did not expect a Gato clone and the Neo Delaz Fleet.

Fivemarks
Feb 21, 2015

Nessus posted:

what in the world, lol

It's like he got halfway to a vaguely interesting idea which would even tie back into the text in a tragic way (space settlement analogized to the original Zionist idea but on terra nullius for real-real) and then decided "nah I bought this Protocols book at the Lawson for three hundred yen, let's use that instead"

I don't even chalk it up to Tomino being like, a closest fascist or anything. It's just that a lot of the Japanese left wing when a bunch of people who went on to define the real robot genre of things kinda got into ANti-semistism from being Anti-Zionist, or got real big into ecofascism through environmentalism

It's like how the real plot of Angel Cop is "DA JEWS AND THEIR PSYCHIC COMMIE ASSASSINS TRYING TO RUIN JAPAN", or how a couple of environmentalist anime in the late 90's had an explicitly ecofascist message (Arjuna, Blue Gender, etc)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Fivemarks posted:

I don't even chalk it up to Tomino being like, a closest fascist or anything. It's just that a lot of the Japanese left wing when a bunch of people who went on to define the real robot genre of things kinda got into ANti-semistism from being Anti-Zionist, or got real big into ecofascism through environmentalism

It's like how the real plot of Angel Cop is "DA JEWS AND THEIR PSYCHIC COMMIE ASSASSINS TRYING TO RUIN JAPAN", or how a couple of environmentalist anime in the late 90's had an explicitly ecofascist message (Arjuna, Blue Gender, etc)
Was there widespread anti-Zionism in Japan in the 60s/70s? That honestly surprises me

I had figured the stuff in Unicorn/Narrative was more a topical drawing out from the Lawrence of Arabia romanticism in ZZ, though that too seemed to be a gloss on Algerian nationalism.