Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bugblatter
Aug 4, 2003

I shouldn’t talk too much poo poo because I did ask the question, but it does feel like there must be a less creepy way to answer.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

covidstomper58
Nov 8, 2020

Joel should be rocking a very practical XL katana and a black leather duster, maybe some kind of stylish and functional hat.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
Ban anyone exhibiting detailed knowledge about gun sizes ITT IMO.

withak fucked around with this message at 05:31 on Feb 6, 2023

zelah
Dec 1, 2004

Diabetes, you are not invited to my pizza party.

covidstomper58 posted:

Joel should be rocking a very practical XL katana and a black leather duster, maybe some kind of stylish and functional hat.

At least once a year I revisit the Hanwei practical XL katana. “it’s TAPE….it’s tape” entered our brains and will never leave.

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

I know that Ellie is a smartass in the games, I love that she got a book of bad puns and is studying them :allears:

navyjack posted:

They should have had Joel just load the whole truck up with ammo, supplies, machine guns and grenades, then they lose it all in the truck attack and “whoops one gun.”

Yeah, this would have made a lot more sense. That, and Joel deciding to drive through Kansas City instead of giving it a wide berth, just don't make sense. I assume the game had a scene set in a city that they felt the need to re-enact.

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

It's a scene in the game but it's set further east. I want to say Philly.

Ballz
Dec 16, 2003

it's mario time

Mantis42 posted:

Pittsburgh.

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

Makes sense. Come to think of it, Joel talked about plow trucks clearing the highway, so if the smaller highways haven't been cleared then it makes sense he would have been forced to drive through Kansas City.

banned from Starbucks
Jul 18, 2004

zelah posted:

At least once a year I revisit the Hanwei practical XL katana. “it’s TAPE….it’s tape” entered our brains and will never leave.

we dont drink powp in this howwsee

Remy Marathe
Mar 15, 2007

_________===D ~ ~ _\____/

Joel and Ellie talking it out right after the shootout was the high point for me. Pedro Pascal was effectively conveying at least three things at once, trying do the adult thing and get her to talk irrespective of how bad he was at it, struggling with his own horror at the world kids are growing up in now, and alternating between pride and relief that she saved him and his irritation that she had a secret gun. It was a hell of a scene from both of them and he correctly chose a lesson on the gun instead of a lecture.

Maybe my bar is just really low after hate-watching TWD for years and witnessing not one single moment of normal human dialogue. I don't really care if these writers don't know their guns to be honest, as long as the words coming out of peoples' mouths are interesting or at least not infuriatingly stupid.

boo boo bear
Oct 1, 2009

I'm COMPLETELY OBSESSED with SEXY EGGS
midwestern soccer mom to reaver queen of the wastelands is such a natural progression.

Rabid Snake
Aug 6, 2004

boo boo bear posted:

midwestern soccer mom to reaver queen of the wastelands is such a natural progression.

i cant stop laughing

BrotherJayne
Nov 28, 2019

Remy Marathe posted:

I don't really care if these writers don't know their guns to be honest, as long as the words coming out of peoples' mouths are interesting or at least not infuriatingly stupid.

Would be cool to have gotten both tho

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

boo boo bear posted:

Apparently she's an original character to the show, so it'll be interesting to see how they use her to enhance or subvert the per-existing material.

Also I'm guessing the kid Ellie shot and then Joel KO'd was her son, right? She seemed a little young to have a kid that old, but the fact that she shot the doctor after being told he was doomed even with medical aide seemed very "mom dealing with the death of her son in the most violent, reactionary way possible" to me.

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

psst you wanna do a communism?

Mantis42 posted:

Wasn't Bill's level also like in the outskirts of Philly in the game iirc?

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

nine-gear crow posted:

Also I'm guessing the kid Ellie shot and then Joel KO'd was her son, right? She seemed a little young to have a kid that old, but the fact that she shot the doctor after being told he was doomed even with medical aide seemed very "mom dealing with the death of her son in the most violent, reactionary way possible" to me.

Sure seems like that guy was important somehow. Two pickup trucks go looking for him, and we hear a man shout "They got fuckin' Bryan!"

Rabid Snake
Aug 6, 2004

"Did you kill innocent people"

Ellie asking great questions

Bugblatter
Aug 4, 2003

BrotherJayne posted:

Would be cool to have gotten both tho

Yeah, but I find that in depth knowledge of firearms and basic emotional intelligence rarely coexist in the same human, including writers.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Chamale posted:

Sure seems like that guy was important somehow. Two pickup trucks go looking for him, and we hear a man shout "They got fuckin' Bryan!"

Her deciding to tear the city apart after she's told he's not going to live suggest he's her son as well. Could be she was reacting to the whole squad getting popped and was like "enough of this poo poo already", but it really seems like it's more "they killed my son, everyone dies now" instead.

Svaha
Oct 4, 2005

Remy Marathe posted:

Maybe my bar is just really low after hate-watching TWD for years and witnessing not one single moment of normal human dialogue. I don't really care if these writers don't know their guns to be honest, as long as the words coming out of peoples' mouths are interesting or at least not infuriatingly stupid.
That loving show. The entire plot was driven forward by everyone being shockingly incompetent in every situation, or just not communicating vital information like humans would. Infuriating.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Poor Joel, his guard was up but the siren-call of the Dad Joke was too powerful for him to resist.

Unfortunately it also attracted another dad in the vicinity, leading to the episode's cliffhanger!

exmarx
Feb 18, 2012

The experience over the years
of nothing getting better
only worse.
best ep yet for me! all the joel and ellie stuff was really solid. not a fan of melanie lynskey's character so far though, the "soft-spoken but unhinged warlord" thing doesn't seem very grounded compared to the rest of the show.

don't care about guns.

stephenthinkpad
Jan 2, 2020
Joel is making a deal of teaching a teen (who looks like she is in high school) handle gun? It's not even that uncommon in pre-zombie America.

D-Pad
Jun 28, 2006

nine-gear crow posted:

Her deciding to tear the city apart after she's told he's not going to live suggest he's her son as well. Could be she was reacting to the whole squad getting popped and was like "enough of this poo poo already", but it really seems like it's more "they killed my son, everyone dies now" instead.

Her son was straight up dead, Joel killed him. It was the guy beside his body that an extra had his hands on his chest that was still alive but was apparently not going to live even with a doctor.

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

We shall dive down through black abysses... and in that lair of the Deep Ones we shall dwell amidst wonder and glory forever.

D-Pad posted:

Her son was straight up dead, Joel killed him. It was the guy beside his body that an extra had his hands on his chest that was still alive but was apparently not going to live even with a doctor.

Yeah he wasn’t on screen but we did hear him shouting for his mom and then a knife noise and wet gurgling.

Meanwhile that guy looked different and was in a different place.

D-Pad
Jun 28, 2006

Xiahou Dun posted:

Yeah he wasn’t on screen but we did hear him shouting for his mom and then a knife noise and wet gurgling.

Meanwhile that guy looked different and was in a different place.

It showed the guy Joel killed laying dead and the soccer mom looking at him. Then she asks if he will live (meaning the guy beside him getting worked on) and that's when she was told no. I also thought the guy Joel killed was her son, but she didn't react much at all which I am not sure if it is because he isn't actually her son or we are supposed to see how much of a stone cold bitch she is.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
They have better LED flashlights than were available in 2003.

Immersion ruined.

Grey Area
Sep 9, 2000
Battle Without Honor or Humanity

Bored As gently caress posted:

Regardless, 5.56x45 would be more plentiful than any other round out there short of 9mm. Those are the two most stocked, most common rounds in the entire U.S. besides .22lr, which is garbage for self defense.
Was that still true in 2003? I feel like the AR-15 boom happened later, but I'm not overly familiar with American gun culture. (I remember there was a run on 5.56 in 2008 before Barrack HUSSEIN Obama stole everything more dangerous than a tooth pick.)

boo boo bear
Oct 1, 2009

I'm COMPLETELY OBSESSED with SEXY EGGS

stephenthinkpad posted:

Joel is making a deal of teaching a teen (who looks like she is in high school) handle gun? It's not even that uncommon in pre-zombie America.

I think he might have avoided interacting with children for the last few decades.

BlackIronHeart
Aug 2, 2004

PROCEED

stephenthinkpad posted:

"I trust this teenager, who I just met three days ago, to have a gun at my back." - No Sane Person Ever

DarkCrawler
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin

BlackIronHeart posted:

"I trust this teenager, who I just met three days ago, to have a gun at my back." - No Sane Person Ever

There are no sane people in a zombie apocalypse lol

stephenthinkpad
Jan 2, 2020
It may be 3 days but it feels like 4 weeks. Also relationships grow on pun jokes.

massive spider
Dec 6, 2006

smackfu posted:

To be honest, didn’t love that shot for that reason. “Please don’t keep zooming out” is not the response you want in your audience.

I thought that was deliberate choice to be honest. The “please don’t keep zooming” feeling was apparent to the point my girlfriend said it out loud watching, but it mercifully stops on the nice image of the painting and window.

It reminded me of the quote about how the trick to a happy ending is where you stop telling the story, since in the end everyone dies so all endings are sad. Bill and Frank got a happy ending, kinda, so long as you don’t linger on the last bit.

flashy_mcflash posted:

The more I read about the complaints about this episode the more I see its importance. It is clarifying"what you signed up for", which is a story that takes place in a world full of side characters with their own internal lives that are meant to give gravity and a lived-in feeling to the experience.

If you haven't played the games, they do the same thing with notes you find throughout a level. They may or may not connect to Joel and Ellie (most don't) but they humanize the clicker you just killed or the pile of ruined bodies you just rooted through for ammo or a health kit or the inhabitants of the apartment you just snuck through.

I think if you're going to continue with this show you have to internalize that format. That sometimes it'll deviate from Joel and Ellie in order to further the greater themes and atmosphere. If you haven't figured this out by Season 2, you might as well jump off now because you are going to have a terrible time.

I mean I’ve never played the games but I got that they’re going for a character focus from the title. “the last of us” implies a story about communal loss. Not necessarily a story primarily about murking monsters.

Phenotype posted:

If they wanted to drive in that they were focusing on the good things in a bad situation, then we should have seen more hardship. Sure, we can gesture at the world outside, obviously it's a bad situation, everyone's going through an apocalypse here, but their personal apocalypse didn't seem all that terrible.

Bill explicitly said he was happy when the world died. The fact that they weren’t under massive physical threat and were just locked in a stagnant paradise isn’t a major issue imo. It’s not the physical suffering that makes their situation interesting it’s the quiet: waiting room at the end of the world vibe.

massive spider fucked around with this message at 13:08 on Feb 6, 2023

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

Mantis42 posted:

From the aftershow, it sounds like they changed it because they knew they were going to film in Canada and wanted a generic Midwest city rather than something recognizable like Pittsburgh.

bobjr
Oct 16, 2012

Roose is loose.
🐓🐓🐓✊🪧

A considerable budget would need to go to terrible towels

Sentinel Red
Nov 13, 2007
Style > Content.

smackfu posted:

From the aftershow, it sounds like they changed it because they knew they were going to film in Canada and wanted a generic Midwest city rather than something recognizable like Pittsburgh.

What stands out about Pittsburgh compared to anywhere else? Not doubting you, I just don't know the first darn thing about the place!

ShowTime
Mar 28, 2005
What in the absolute gently caress is recognizable about Pittsburgh other than depression and alcoholism?

Bugblatter
Aug 4, 2003

Yeah, I’ve been to Pittsburg a few times and uh…

Bulky Bartokomous
Nov 3, 2006

In Mypos, only the strong survive.

Grey Area posted:

Was that still true in 2003? I feel like the AR-15 boom happened later, but I'm not overly familiar with American gun culture. (I remember there was a run on 5.56 in 2008 before Barrack HUSSEIN Obama stole everything more dangerous than a tooth pick.)

I think the AR-15 boom started a little earlier, like in the mid 90s, but regardless, you know who has a lot of 5.56? FEDRA and the military. So even if the boom didn't happen in this universe it would still be the most plentiful ammunition by far, and from episode 1 we know there's a factory in Atlanta that still makes it.

Bugblatter posted:

Yeah, but I find that in depth knowledge of firearms and basic emotional intelligence rarely coexist in the same human, including writers.

Okay, fair enough, but just hire someone that does and get their feedback on it. I understand that never everyone is into guns but in a show where they matter it a lot I don't think it's unreasonable to pay a little bit of attention to them in way that doesn't need to bog the story down. One was suggested in this very thread, just have them load the car up, and make it so they have to abandon them. You see this in war movies/shows a lot too, if they had just asked someone with knowledge in that field they could avoid what are really easy L's to avoid. It's why The Hurt Locker is so disliked by the veteran community. What's the big deal, Bulky, haven't you heard of suspension of disbelief? There's zombies! Sure, but the more you ask your audience to suspend disbelief, especially over stuff there's no real reason to have to make that ask, the more you risk a fictional world that gets rejected.

I find this stuff to be jarring when I'm asked to believe Joel is a beast at post-apocalyptic survival. Ditto for his decision to go directly through Kansas City instead of driving around it where it's much harder to get ambushed by infected or survivors. His biggest reason for it seemed to be that he chose to go into the city because the plot needed him to.

But of course there's the moral/political angle to this topic as well, so people get fired up about in a way that wouldn't happen if the next Jurassic Park decided to show T-Rex as a cuddly herbivore or a show about the American revolution where everyone wore 20th century clothing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Morrow
Oct 31, 2010
Getting forced to go through a city makes more sense out east where it's more urbanized and probably very easy for the highways to be blocked around them.

It's still kind of dumb.