Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

cheetah7071 posted:

Ah yeah the other trick is to not split your army in half even though there's two ways to progress

It seemed like a good idea at the time.

These guys were pretty much scrubs in their last appearances! I didn't realise a couple rings would buff them up so much.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

cheetah7071 posted:

Ah yeah the other trick is to not split your army in half even though there's two ways to progress

The last time I played FE6 hard mode years and years ago I lost Chapter 21 the first time since I decided "yeah I'll just split my army in two" and then got wyvern spammed to death and had to try again.

Then in Roy's Engage paralogue which is modeled after the same map I decided "yeah I'll just split my army in two" and... then got wyvern spammed to death and had to try again.

:downs:

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Wearer of Compasses. Slayer of Gods. Champion of the Colosseum. Heart of the Void.
Saviour of Hallownest.

SyntheticPolygon posted:

I knew about the Ice Wall, it came in clutch for Ike's map, but alas the main lane through which I ended up fighting 2 of the bosses at once was 5 squares across so the wall did not help. Also did not help that I spent like 7 uses of the crystal on trying to fight Zephia with 5 units, figuring she'd be as easy as in Chapter 14, which was definitely not the case.

Kind of annoyed each boss had resistance to their class weakeness though. I can understand it being the case for a couple of them but it's lame when everyone has Stalwart.

Ah yeah, so the *really* stupid Corrin stall tactic I used was fire breath to cover a 3x3 and then obstruct to handle the edges if the AI ever tried anything there.

cheetah7071 posted:

This is good advice on virtually every map with split fronts in the game. Engage does not enjoy you strong siding.

Natural 20 fucked around with this message at 12:01 on Feb 6, 2023

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Splitting up has worked fine for me so far but I guess i'll need to take that into consideration for the future.

Sleng Teng
May 3, 2009

At every opportunity where you can split fronts I have done so without much issue. I’m almost done with the campaign.

Dr. Cool Aids
Jul 6, 2009
if splitting up is good enough for the scooby gang it's good enough for me

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.
My splitting up consists of Diamant going one way to big dick it while everyone else baby sits the poo poo characters on the team.

Miftan
Mar 31, 2012

Terry knows what he can do with his bloody chocolate orange...

Splitting up the party is more than viable on hard, but rarely works on maddening. The difference in amount of enemies, the fact that you need 3+ attacks to take down an enemy, and the fact that every enemy can two shot every character means small forces get overwhelmed much faster and don't have the resources to cover flanks or protect the squishier units (who the AI will 100% beeline for)

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010
Just did the Lyn paralouge and i have a very important post to make: this is some goodass Fire Emblem, maybe even one of the best. It would be the perfect game if it had a Maniac setting in between Hard and Maddening but alas, I have to settle for “really loving good, goddamn, Fire Emblem gameplay is finally back after thirteen years”.

Nothing about the paralouge specifically made me feel this way, this games just been a joy mechanically the whole time. Other titles might have a better storytelling but this is still fine i think.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

17 instantly goes from insane to manageable if you mark Zephia's range and don't cross that line until everyone else is dead

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
My Alear is cursed. :( All of my physically inclined A-team have surpassed her in STR, now including Celine.

She has SPD and DEF for days, but her combat viability is really struggling. Might just have to feed her my stock of combat drugs.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Cythereal posted:

My Alear is cursed. :( All of my physically inclined A-team have surpassed her in STR, now including Celine.

She has SPD and DEF for days, but her combat viability is really struggling. Might just have to feed her my stock of combat drugs.

If you have the DLC you could staple Tiki to her for a while, too. Or make her a Thief or Wolf Knight and forge up a cheap dagger--daggers are cheap to forge and get a lot of benefit out of it, which can help make up for lackluster Str.

Alternatively, Alear's Dragon unit type in her default class gives her a pretty powerful role even if her combat starts to suffer. Later Emblems like Corrin and Byleth are incredibly powerful in Alear's hands, for reasons that have nothing to do with actual combat. So if all else fails, Alear can still be really really useful.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Harrow posted:

If you have the DLC you could staple Tiki to her for a while, too. Or make her a Thief or Wolf Knight and forge up a cheap dagger--daggers are cheap to forge and get a lot of benefit out of it, which can help make up for lackluster Str.

Alternatively, Alear's Dragon unit type in her default class gives her a pretty powerful role even if her combat starts to suffer. Later Emblems like Corrin and Byleth are incredibly powerful in Alear's hands, for reasons that have nothing to do with actual combat. So if all else fails, Alear can still be really really useful.

I don't have the DLC because I don't give a poo poo about Tiki and I am thoroughly tired of the 3H lords, alas.

Might just do the dragon thing, then.

Of all people, Lapis has turned into my MVP so far for all that she very rarely gets actual MVP awards in the game. Chloe may have more hitting power as a flier (though Lapis has been extremely blessed with STR herself), but Lapis has turned into one hell of a dodge tank and still gets S swords as a griffin knight. I'm eagerly awaiting getting Marth back so I can take this up to another level still.

For people who haven't used Lapis much if at all - don't be fooled by her starting with a smash weapon. Lapis is a dodgy myrmidon type through and through, and performs at her best when not weighed down by heavy weapons.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

My real MVP on a couple tricky maps has been Hortensia but the game unfortunately can't recognize "did an AoE Freeze staff while engaged with Micaiah several turns in a row while also proccing World Tree every time so she never ran out of Freeze staff" in its MVP calculations.

I would've been completely screwed in the pact ring paralogue without her

ungulateman
Apr 18, 2012

pretentious fuckwit who isn't half as literate or insightful or clever as he thinks he is
lapis performs at her best, on the bench, while diamant and then kagetsu and then goldmary do everything she does better,

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
I've never deployed Diamant or Kagetsu after they joined. They felt redundant and unnecessary, I already had a character who could do that job. :shrug:

About half the cast is consistently whining at me about how I never use them. I think of it as replay value, using characters who weren't my regulars in my first run.

Alear, Framme, Chloe, Etie, Celine, Lapis, Citrinne, Ivy, Merrin, and Jade have been a very solid core group. Still working out who my last two will be now that I'm regularly at a deploy limit of twelve finally.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Cythereal posted:

Alear, Framme, Chloe, Etie, Celine, Lapis, Citrinne, Ivy, Merrin, and Jade have been a very solid core group. Still working out who my last two will be now that I'm regularly at a deploy limit of twelve finally.

I can't recommend Hortensia highly enough. She gets +1 range with healing staves and her promoted class skill gives her a chance to conserve staff uses. The ultimate flying staffbot, she's incredible.

Syrnn
Aug 16, 2004

Harrow posted:

Is there somewhere that spells out what Dragon type does with an emblem? The in game guide is just like "gets more benefit when engaged", but doesn't actually say what that entails. The UI in this game can be a bit obtuse.

pray for my aunt
Feb 13, 2012

14980c8b8a96fd9e279796a61cf82c9c
Use X to browse the details when equipping rings - skills light up with Type Bonus whenever a units type upgrades a skill. Dragon specifically gets a Type Bonus with every engage attack, but each ring has small bonuses with most types.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Syrnn posted:

Is there somewhere that spells out what Dragon type does with an emblem? The in game guide is just like "gets more benefit when engaged", but doesn't actually say what that entails. The UI in this game can be a bit obtuse.

You have to highlight the Emblem abilities with the "Type Bonus" label while browsing rings with Alear to see. It's a little out of the way. For example, Alear can use all of Corrin's Dragon Vein effects, and when they use Instruct with Byleth they boost every stat.

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

Ready to Poyozo Dance all over your face.

Syrnn posted:

When you equip an Emblem to a character, look to see if any of the skills the Emblem grants the character has the words "Type Bonus" on the skill icon. If they do, use the view details function to see what the actual bonus is. For example, if you give Lyn to a Covert unit and view details on Astra Storm, it'll give the normal description of the skill, then afterwards say "[Covert]: +10 Range" or something like that.

Carlosologist
Oct 13, 2013

Revelry in the Dark

Lapis owns if you give her Build +3 and she can wield steel swords and iron blades without penalty

She owns in general though

My one gripe with reclassing is that master sealing to an advanced class and then second sealing to the class you want is just a waste of resources. You should be able to promote to whatever class you want, and then second seal once you hit the level cap. As such, second seals should be a bit rarer than master seals

Xalidur
Jun 4, 2012

I propose that anyone who can use a staff well is at least A tier and probably S, and anyone who can be a Hero well is at least B tier and probably A. Lapis is fine and good.

Veryslightlymad
Jun 3, 2007

I fight with
my brain
and with an
underlying
hatred of the
Erebonian
Noble Faction
Lapis has a niche and rarely feels left behind compared to my army. For my money, Citrinne is the worse of the two because slow mages are the world's saddest thing.

Not convinced there's a "bad" unit other than Vander, and honestly, he's not terrible, just.... Universally below average.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
Clanne is my pick for worst unit in the game so far. He's fast, but he's a mage with a base 10% magic growth.

If I want to try salvaging him in a future run I'm second sealing him immediately.

Citrinne, for me, has been a very reliable performer. Not amazing, but she has the highest MAG in the army and it's not close. Her performance has been just as good as Ivy or Celine despite typically only hitting once compared to those two often doubling.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Clanne is almost a reverse Anna. They're both in the "wrong" class initially, but Anna has freakishly high natural Magic growth, while Clanne just has... kinda normal Strength growth. So while you could reclass him to a physical class he's not necessarily going to shine like Anna does when she's reclassed to a magical class and you're probably better off just using one of the many, many physical units the game gives you. Or use those resources on Jean, who'll do anything Clanne will do better.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things
Also with mage/sage Class growths Clanne still has a 40% mag growth which is slightly low but perfectly acceptable? And his stats are basically perfectly positioned for him to go into Mage Knight.

He's probably my pick for most clutch early unit tbh.

Veryslightlymad posted:

Lapis has a niche and rarely feels left behind compared to my army. For my money, Citrinne is the worse of the two because slow mages are the world's saddest thing.

Not convinced there's a "bad" unit other than Vander, and honestly, he's not terrible, just.... Universally below average.

Bunet is also really bad. Not like... completely unsalvageable but he takes more resources than anyone but Vander to get up to speed and has just atrocious combat for forever.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
I've had a thought. Everyone keeps telling me radiant bows are really good. I just picked up Hortensia, who has great MAG, in the same mission that I got the radiant bow on.

I'm strongly considering using both a master and second seal on her to reconfigure Hortensia into a radiant bow sniper.

Veryslightlymad
Jun 3, 2007

I fight with
my brain
and with an
underlying
hatred of the
Erebonian
Noble Faction

Harrow posted:

Clanne is almost a reverse Anna. They're both in the "wrong" class initially, but Anna has freakishly high natural Magic growth, while Clanne just has... kinda normal Strength growth. So while you could reclass him to a physical class he's not necessarily going to shine like Anna does when she's reclassed to a magical class and you're probably better off just using one of the many, many physical units the game gives you. Or use those resources on Jean, who'll do anything Clanne will do better.

Clanne is blindingly fast, accurate, and evasive. I'm using literally everyone, and if you put a gun to my head, I would claim he was my best overall unit.

Edit:
Regarding radiant bows, I made Anna into a Bow Knight and gave her one as her main weapon, and she's a great delete button.

Reik
Mar 8, 2004

Cythereal posted:

I've had a thought. Everyone keeps telling me radiant bows are really good. I just picked up Hortensia, who has great MAG, in the same mission that I got the radiant bow on.

I'm strongly considering using both a master and second seal on her to reconfigure Hortensia into a radiant bow sniper.

What is your Anna up to? With her bananas magic growth she's a great option as a radiant bow sniper.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

Cythereal posted:

While you can, Hortensia has a pretty absurd personal skill that improves staves ridiculously and along with Ivy is the only flying magic user you can get.

Though hmmm, you could do that and staple Micaiah to her for Bows+staves.

GateOfD
Jan 31, 2023

So kawaii..

Endorph posted:

merrin and panette dont, but fogado does.

the most interesting emblem boss dialog is definitely vander and sigurd reminiscing about lumerra.

and in an instance that i dont think is repeated anywhere else, *marth* has dialog with tiki in her map - it'll trigger when someone equipped with him fights her, no matter who it is. weird that they put that trigger in the game and then im pretty sure never have emblems get boss dialog anywhere else.

Ivy vs Lief also has one in his paralogue. He encourages her not to give up or something

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Reik posted:

What is your Anna up to? With her bananas magic growth she's a great option as a radiant bow sniper.

5. I have not used Anna a single time since recruiting her.

Zore posted:

While you can, Hortensia has a pretty absurd personal skill that improves staves ridiculously and along with Ivy is the only flying magic user you can get.

Griffin riders also get staves, which is how I'm running Lapis so she's carting around a couple of staves.

I've had the feeling about a lot of this game's cast that they're good at what they do, but after a certain point I settle on a team that I'm happy with and find the newcomers surplus to requirements. Merrin's the only johnny-come-lately who's particularly impressed me to date.

Reconfiguring Hortensia into a radiant bow sniper would be a new niche for the team, which is why I'm considering it.

Veryslightlymad
Jun 3, 2007

I fight with
my brain
and with an
underlying
hatred of the
Erebonian
Noble Faction
Quote is not edit.

Content:
Any suggestions on what do do with Amber? I'm stumped on how to promote him

Reik
Mar 8, 2004

Zore posted:

I did a similar thing, turned Hortensia in to a Martial Master for the Chain Guard utility and relied on Micaiah to provide tome access whenever she needed to do some magical damage.

Cythereal posted:

5. I have not used Anna a single time since recruiting her.

Griffin riders also get staves, which is how I'm running Lapis so she's carting around a couple of staves.

I've had the feeling about a lot of this game's cast that they're good at what they do, but after a certain point I settle on a team that I'm happy with and find the newcomers surplus to requirements. Merrin's the only johnny-come-lately who's particularly impressed me to date.

Reconfiguring Hortensia into a radiant bow sniper would be a new niche for the team, which is why I'm considering it.

As the other person said, I wouldn't take her off a staff using class until you get Micaiah back. Fogado is a good radiant bow user since he's the only class that has access to bows and some magic growth.

Reik
Mar 8, 2004

Veryslightlymad posted:

Quote is not edit.

Content:
Any suggestions on what do do with Amber? I'm stumped on how to promote him

If you want to take advantage of his personal skill I think you gotta go with Wyvern Knight so you can peel away and take out stray enemies. His personal skill also pairs well with the wyvern knight class skill since he wants to be standing in places other people wouldn't be.

EDIT: Did they just get lazy and make every corrupted unit male? I feel like Goldmary triggered disarming sigh on almost every attack.

EDIT2: Make sure when you do arena training you swap out a unit's emblem ring with a bond ring so they get 50% SP on the training

Reik fucked around with this message at 16:27 on Feb 6, 2023

blizzardvizard
Sep 12, 2012

Shhh... don't wake up the sleeping lion :3:

Wolf Knight Amber is fine, and Cavs can directly promote to them without a Second Seal, you just need to grab Knife Proficiency off Lief. Like, if you promote them right away, Wolf Knight Amber has the exact same Str and Spd as Successeur Diamant, with very similar Str/Spd growths (Diamant has only 5% more Spd growth), except he's in a 6 Mov class that can use daggers. So he's arguably better than Diamant, even.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Yeah Hortensia's personal skill is incredible, especially with her Sleipnir Rider skill World Tree that gives her a chance to save you staff charges. IMO it's a waste to reclass Hortensia of all people. She has a very well-defined niche and is incredible within that niche. If you want a Radiant Bow user who you don't have to train up from scratch (since you haven't used Anna and catching her up will be a pain at this point), Fogado's probably better.

Griffin Knights are also flying staff users, but they only get C-rank staves, while Hortensia gets all the way to S-rank, which means she can use things like Recover, Fortify, and Warp (and again, has a solid chance to give you freebie staff charges with these expensive staves).

WrightOfWay
Jul 24, 2010

Hortensia has the same Magic base as a Bow Knight (and lower as a Warrior or Sniper) than base level Fogado as his promoted base class, but Fogado has +10% growth on top of that. Making a Magic character into a Bow class isn't a terrible idea but Hortensia has really low magic and isn't a great candidate.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Veryslightlymad
Jun 3, 2007

I fight with
my brain
and with an
underlying
hatred of the
Erebonian
Noble Faction

blizzardvizard posted:

Wolf Knight Amber is fine, and Cavs can directly promote to them without a Second Seal, you just need to grab Knife Proficiency off Lief. Like, if you promote them right away, Wolf Knight Amber has the exact same Str and Spd as Successeur Diamant, with very similar Str/Spd growths (Diamant has only 5% more Spd growth), except he's in a 6 Mov class that can use daggers. So he's arguably better than Diamant, even.

Oh, good. I was leaning toward that as one of my options. Dunno when I will be able to get him daggers, though. I'm up to Chapter 17, where I have been having... Poor luck with some really spurious crits, including a delightful one from Mauvier when he had less than 20% to even hit me in the first place.