Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

Wullie's reign cannae smother the flames o' equality!
Noted anti-communist JFK?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Youremother
Dec 26, 2011

MORT

Zulily Zoetrope posted:

I don't think the other 24 insane voices would work half as well if you didn't have a straight man for them to bounce off. Plus he always has your back, never steers you wrong, and gets some absolute banger lines.

And the two times when he does gently caress up (during the Dora dream and with Klaasje) are both incredible.

Valentin
Sep 16, 2012

Youremother posted:

And the two times when he does gently caress up (during the Dora dream and with Klaasje) are both incredible.

Yeah volition being a bit of a killjoy and straight man all game is absolutely necessary setup for the devastating payoff of "I can't help you. I am totally useless. Everything I've said is lies. I want the exact same bad things you want. To stand here, like a pillar of salt." Volition's line after the insulindian phasmid's sky burial line is another absolutely perfect one in the ending.

Animal-Mother
Feb 14, 2012

RABBIT RABBIT
RABBIT RABBIT

MariusLecter posted:

That line made me think a good impression of JFK would work for the voice lines.

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

PoontifexMacksimus posted:

People have talked about improving the clothing system (I personally really liked the idea of having to pick your costume at the start of each day)

Absolutely unacceptable.

Pausing a conversation so you can get better at talking by putting on a new hat or changing your pants is hilarious and the idea of Harry doing this several times a day as Kim looked on silently in total bafflement greatly improved my gameplay experience.

EorayMel
May 30, 2015

WE GET IT. YOU LOVE GUN JESUS. Toujours des fusils Bullpup Français.

Motorics definitely got the shortest end of the stick in regards to depth of development... People have talked about improving the clothing system (I personally really liked the idea of having to pick your costume at the start of each day) but I think the game could stand to lose a couple of skills so development can focus on giving each of the remaining ones a truly unique voice.

It is funny how the amount of development of the skills seems to match their order: like first they wrote all the stuff for Intellect, so by the time they got to Motorics they were kind of running out of steam/time... (Even for the otherwise well developed Psyche, Suggestion feels pretty vestigial and could be merged into other skills with no real loss.)

iirc the physical skills were added last because they didn't want to just copy Torgen The Axe Dude, also Suggestion would work better if it was specifically the speaking half of a conversation/debate of being the skill deducing exactly what to (not)say while Rhetoric is the hearing half of a conversation/debate and just translating everything into layman's terms

Also I like Interfacing being a weirdo that makes your fingers real horny for touching and stealing things while Reaction Speed just goes SWOOSH in your head at everything :colbert:

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

When I want to relax, I read an essay by Engels. When I want something more serious, I read Corto Maltese.
In case people are interested in interesting people streaming this game, Dani (pipopixie on Twitch) and Laurentheflute have started/are about to start playthroughs of this game respectively.

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

Wullie's reign cannae smother the flames o' equality!

Youremother posted:

Need a montage of Volition's greatest hits set to "It's a Man's Man's Man's World" world.

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Down came the glitches and burned us in ditches and we slept after eating our dead.

Samovar posted:

Dani (pipopixie on Twitch)

Ugh, watching her companion convince her to not take Shivers as her signature skill was painful, and its not even properly started yet. Not sure if I'll be able to watch through this one.

RoboChrist 9000
Dec 14, 2006

Mater Dolorosa

Valentin posted:

Yeah volition being a bit of a killjoy and straight man all game is absolutely necessary setup for the devastating payoff of "I can't help you. I am totally useless. Everything I've said is lies. I want the exact same bad things you want. To stand here, like a pillar of salt." Volition's line after the insulindian phasmid's sky burial line is another absolutely perfect one in the ending.

Which line is that latter one?

The Lord of Hats
Aug 22, 2010

Hello, yes! Is being very good day for posting, no?

RoboChrist 9000 posted:

Which line is that latter one?

"In honour of your will, lieutenant yefreitor. That you kept from falling apart, in the face of sheer terror. Day after day. Second by second."

Paladin
Nov 26, 2004
You lost today, kid. But that doesn't mean you have to like it.

Samovar posted:

...and Laurentheflute have started/are about to start playthroughs of this game respectively.

Was this announced anywhere/with any idea of when it would start? I know it's been one she'd like to get to for awhile now.

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

When I want to relax, I read an essay by Engels. When I want something more serious, I read Corto Maltese.

Paladin posted:

Was this announced anywhere/with any idea of when it would start? I know it's been one she'd like to get to for awhile now.

It was announced on Discord, this Thursday. (Or early Friday for us folk in Europe).

Yeah, Robin advising Dani to not take Shivers was some proper heinous poo poo. Still, they did push Dani (correctly so) to continue to torment Kim about Speedfreaks, so...

the escape goat
Apr 16, 2008

itching to do another playthrough but the buddy I share custody of the PS4 with has it for another week, booo

what are some people’s favorite signature skills? I want to try something totally different this time.

I’ve done Shivers, Inland, Esprit, and Physical Instrument so far.

PoontifexMacksimus
Feb 14, 2012

EorayMel posted:

iirc the physical skills were added last because they didn't want to just copy Torgen The Axe Dude, also Suggestion would work better if it was specifically the speaking half of a conversation/debate of being the skill deducing exactly what to (not)say while Rhetoric is the hearing half of a conversation/debate and just translating everything into layman's terms

Also I like Interfacing being a weirdo that makes your fingers real horny for touching and stealing things while Reaction Speed just goes SWOOSH in your head at everything :colbert:

At the end of the day, with no combat system or anything to balance around, the skills just represent different dramatic voices or thematic throughlines, and players pick skills based on what narrative dialogue they want to focus the most on in a given playthrough. Skills are content gates, but some skills give you more and more interesting content.

Since all the skills draw from the writing pool it's a zero sum game: more skills inevitably means less developed skills, while less skills should offer a more focused overall experience with fewer trap choices (currently a new player picking all the least developed skills would have an objectively more anemic experience).

And I'm not saying like, drop Motorics entirely... Losing one skill per category would be a good start and could honestly be hardly noticable - Intellect is the hardest to pick one from for me, which goes back to what I said that it felt the most fully fleshed out.

PoontifexMacksimus fucked around with this message at 11:59 on Feb 8, 2023

Prokhor Zakharov
Dec 31, 2008

This is me as I make another great post

Good luck with your depression!

the escape goat posted:

itching to do another playthrough but the buddy I share custody of the PS4 with has it for another week, booo

what are some people’s favorite signature skills? I want to try something totally different this time.

Half Light. No hesitation.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

the escape goat posted:

Doing at least one high encyclopedia run is hilarious and will give you a lot of lore you won't otherwise see.

World War Mammories
Aug 25, 2006

the escape goat posted:

Encyclopedia is my precious child

panko
Sep 6, 2005

~honda best man~

if you’re in the business of really impressing kim interfacing is a solid pick

Rogue AI Goddess
May 10, 2012

I enjoy the sight of humans on their knees.
That was a joke... unless..?

the escape goat posted:

what are some people’s favorite signature skills?
Perception or Reaction Speed, because I don't want to miss out on interactions (and also because those are my lowest skills IRL).

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
Volition is a true friend.

People have already mentioned some of its hits, but there's also a high passive check in the final encounter where volition notices that the Deserter isn't fully in control of himself, as though he's being puppetted, which I think is the keenest insight you can get on that situation.

EorayMel
May 30, 2015

Zulily Zoetrope posted:

People have already mentioned some of its hits, but there's also a high passive check in the final encounter where volition notices that the Deserter isn't fully in control of himself, as though he's being puppetted, which I think is the keenest insight you can get on that situation.

VOLITION [Godly - Success] Odd. He's not a weak man. Why is he afraid?

*not spoiling it because it says a lot in so little

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO

quote:

Volition
Description
Hold yourself together. Keep your Morale up.

So glad I added that to the skills i'd dump points into.

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider

At the end of the day, with no combat system or anything to balance around, the skills just represent different dramatic voices or thematic throughlines, and players pick skills based on what narrative dialogue they want to focus the most on in a given playthrough. Skills are content gates, but some skills give you more and more interesting content.

Since all the skills draw from the writing pool it's a zero sum game: more skills inevitably means less developed skills, while less skills should offer a more focused overall experience with fewer trap choices (currently a new player picking all the least developed skills would have an objectively more anemic experience).

And I'm not saying like, drop Motorics entirely... Losing one skill per category would be a good start and could honestly be hardly noticable - Intellect is the hardest to pick one from for me, which goes back to what I said that it felt the most fully fleshed out.

I guess it would have to be logic, which I know doesn't make any sense but I've eliminated all the others so whatever's left, no matter how absurd, is the one.

E: Visual Calculus doesn't have a personality, really. But it's too cool to cut

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

Zulily Zoetrope posted:

I like that one of the things I was introduced to the game with was the sandwhich moment - "Say one of these fascist or communist things or gently caress off" - as an example of how failure can lean to fun results. It was extra neat to learn that volition can bail you out there.

Turpitude II
Nov 10, 2014

christmas boots posted:

I guess it would have to be logic, which I know doesn't make any sense but I've eliminated all the others so whatever's left, no matter how absurd, is the one.

if you really wanted to cut/consolidate, you could roll logic and visual calculus together into some kind of general "pattern recognition" skill, i guess.

EorayMel
May 30, 2015

Imagine electrochemistry combined with hand/eye coordination...forever

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

Biscuit Hider

Turpitude II posted:

if you really wanted to cut/consolidate, you could roll logic and visual calculus together into some kind of general "pattern recognition" skill, i guess.

This all feels wrong

Turpitude II
Nov 10, 2014
logically, if you see boot prints on the ground and count them and consider their size, it should lead you to a logical conclusion about how many people they belong to and what kind. or the way a window has broken, or the way tire marks go, etc V:v:V

unless you mean morally wrong.

Rogue AI Goddess
May 10, 2012

I enjoy the sight of humans on their knees.
That was a joke... unless..?
Keep the skills that speak for copotypes and ideologies, cut the rest.

The Lord of Hats
Aug 22, 2010

Hello, yes! Is being very good day for posting, no?

christmas boots posted:

Yeah, there is no point at which you pass a Visual Calculus test that it isn't immediately the coolest poo poo. I think more than just about any other skill, it's the one that makes Harry a capital-D Detective, and makes it clear that you earned those solved cases, even if that was just another way to be self-destructive.

Cpt_Obvious
Jun 18, 2007

Rogue AI Goddess posted:

Keep the skills that speak for copotypes and ideologies, cut the rest.

You will have to pry drama from my cold, dead, lying fingers.

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004
johnny jesus and the infield fly rule

The Lord of Hats posted:

Yeah, there is no point at which you pass a Visual Calculus test that it isn't immediately the coolest poo poo. I think more than just about any other skill, it's the one that makes Harry a capital-D Detective, and makes it clear that you earned those solved cases, even if that was just another way to be self-destructive.

the whole segment where it's talking about bullet trajectories and shot probabilities and starts categorizing locations into like "alpha prime" and the like is the tightest detective poo poo

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

Biscuit Hider

Turpitude II posted:

logically, if you see boot prints on the ground and count them and consider their size, it should lead you to a logical conclusion about how many people they belong to and what kind. or the way a window has broken, or the way tire marks go, etc V:v:V

unless you mean morally wrong.

i mean morally wrong

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon

Cpt_Obvious posted:

You will have to pry drama from my cold, dead, lying fingers.

Drama is, very begrudgingly, the Boring Cop rep.

World War Mammories
Aug 25, 2006

christmas boots posted:

i mean morally wrong

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

Pattonesque posted:

the whole segment where it's talking about bullet trajectories and shot probabilities and starts categorizing locations into like "alpha prime" and the like is the tightest detective poo poo

I do a bit of investigatory work and the bit human can opener going through a dialogue trees just murdered me and left me hanging in a tree.

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

Do you want your breadcrumbs highlighted?

~SMcD

Pattonesque posted:

Yeah, I can forgive Visual Calculus for being a mostly absent voice in the head. It makes sense -- it is VISUAL, after all.

Benagain
Oct 10, 2007

Can you see that I am serious?
Fun Shoe

Pattonesque posted:

and you just toss some of that out to Kim with no explanation and he goes "what?"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EorayMel
May 30, 2015

Gwyneth Palpate posted:

Yeah, I can forgive Visual Calculus for being a mostly absent voice in the head. It makes sense -- it is VISUAL, after all.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5tLp8KJWpuQ&t=1964s