Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Veryslightlymad posted:

Clanne is blindingly fast, accurate, and evasive. I'm using literally everyone, and if you put a gun to my head, I would claim he was my best overall unit.

Edit:
Regarding radiant bows, I made Anna into a Bow Knight and gave her one as her main weapon, and she's a great delete button.

drat, what class did you make him? His growths are nothing special so you have a pretty blessed Clanne.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

posadas
Jan 28, 2021
Of my Dawn Brigade-ish second team that I'm doing the paralogues with:
Boucheron finally managed to get a few Str level ups, and combined with having enough build to wield late-game axes, has finally managed to shine
Lapis managed to get dodgy enough to fit the swordmaster niche (though classed as a hero)
Goldmary and Rosado are strong, but that's expected for how late they join
Jade isn't tanky enough to just throw ahead of the party like peak Louis, but can still take a few hits and throws a good tomahawk
Framme was the last of this group to be benched, and has the levels and the utility to be invaluable
Kagetsu has been surprisingly meh for me. Feels a bit like Alear without dragon typing
Celine can sometimes one-shot generals and at least leave them with a few HP, but is mostly a staffbot
Etie can only take down a flier if she hits a killer bow crit and otherwise doesn't have enough speed or str to do much else, but can at least sit in a forest and fog
Alfred gets doubled by pretty much everything but doesn't have the bulk to take on two enemies. He's there to pick up chests and bait meteors and dragon breath

Torrential Roar leaving behind -40 avoid puddles of water has been incredibly useful given how axe-heavy my team is

posadas fucked around with this message at 16:37 on Feb 6, 2023

Veryslightlymad
Jun 3, 2007

I fight with
my brain
and with an
underlying
hatred of the
Erebonian
Noble Faction

Harrow posted:

drat, what class did you make him? His growths are nothing special so you have a pretty blessed Clanne.

I haven't promoted him yet.

Edit
He's currently benched until I can get staves again, because my plan is to move him into High Priest for even more evade.

Veryslightlymad fucked around with this message at 16:36 on Feb 6, 2023

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

I think my Alear used up all my growth luck because he turned out pretty blessed on this run. He's second only to Panette on my team when it comes to the "point them at an enemy and they'll one-round anything" ability, with Panette pulling ahead because she has an absolutely insane Strength score combined with her personal skill and Wrath.

Ivy also snuck up as being really strong for me. She was just fine at first but I used her anyway because a flying tome user is baseline pretty good. She's gradually gotten fast and strong enough to be able to one-round almost anything that doesn't have a huge pile of Res, and even then she can do pretty good if she procs Grasping Void. I have no idea when she suddenly got fast enough to double things but she did. Using Lucina on her is certainly helping (and it's always fun to get her chain attacking things from across the map).

Veryslightlymad
Jun 3, 2007

I fight with
my brain
and with an
underlying
hatred of the
Erebonian
Noble Faction
My Alear is my actual best unit, but I don't count him because he had Edelgard for a giant amount of time without me noticing that gives extra experience, so he's got an overwhelming level advantage that keeps getting bigger.

He's level 12/16, and my other units range from 18/0 to 18/3.

Mysticblade
Oct 22, 2012

Clanne's magic growth is shoddy but his bases are still decent and if you get him sword proficiency and promote to Mage Knight, you can start abusing the Levin Sword on an actual magical character. The Levin Sword is busted as hell and has 13 mt now which is technically weaker than Bolganone but you can get it early. Combined with his excellent speed, he might be actually pretty good and I was meaning to give him a try on another run.

My Alear has turned out pretty well as well, somehow he's capped Res in his promoted lord class at 25. He's pretty fast and can actually kill things even if he's reliant on avoiding things for bulk. I left him with Marth early and switched over to Byleth later for that sweet, sweet AoE rally spectrum dance.

For Kagetsu, he was pretty good for me but if he's facing damage issues, you can try reclassing him. He's good in basically any physical class because of his stupid str/spd/bld personal bases but Swordmaster is a bad class. Between a low STR class base and being sword locked, it's not too surprising that he's facing damage issues.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Cythereal posted:

Reconfiguring Hortensia into a radiant bow sniper would be a new niche for the team, which is why I'm considering it.

I looked it up and Hortensia's actual Magic growth is pretty low, only 20%. In a physical class like Sniper or Bow Knight she won't get any additional Mag growth, either. So she's probably not a great candidate for using a magical weapon in a physical class--her Mag's going to drop off a cliff in the long run. She's pretty much set up to be a staff bot and nothing else with her combination of growths and personal skill.

Reclassing a magical unit to use the Radiant Bow isn't a bad idea at all, it's just that Hortensia's not a very good candidate compared to someone like Anna, Citrinne, or even Chloe.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things
Yeah, it definitely feels like the way magic growths are balanced this time around is to put the bulk of it into the classes while giving everyone low personal magic growths almost uniformly across the board. Like there's exactly one class that gives more than 20% Str growth while there are 7 classes that do the same for Mag, almost all of which are exclusively Tome or Tome+Fist classes.

Probably mostly because of how powerful the (non-axe) magic weapons are.

But the top base magic growths in the game are

Anna-50%
Veyle45%
Citrinne-40%
Chole-35%
Ivy/Pandreo-30%

and everyone else in the 25 or under range. With most non-dedicated magic classes giving 0% mag growth.

Zore fucked around with this message at 17:11 on Feb 6, 2023

ungulateman
Apr 18, 2012

pretentious fuckwit who isn't half as literate or insightful or clever as he thinks he is
extremely loving cool that the game doesn't mention or explain that you can't bonded shield dragon attacks, rendering my entire strategy for chapter 17 worthless and making me restart my entire run

Veryslightlymad
Jun 3, 2007

I fight with
my brain
and with an
underlying
hatred of the
Erebonian
Noble Faction
Hey, don't diss the magic axes. The Hurricane axe is responsible for my favorite moment in any FE game, where Jade and Ike killed five Pegasus Knights in the same action.

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

ASK ME ABOUT KISSING A GHOST
I turned Etie into a Warrior and the difference in combat prowess is like night and day.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things
I got lucky with my Etie, even as a Sniper she's consistently been one of my best killers all game since she always hit her Str/Spd growths. I think she's roughly on par with Diamant in both and has absurdly higher Dex.

Her only real issue is being made of tissue paper with worse def than Citrinne and res than Louis somehow.

CharlestonJew
Jul 7, 2011

Illegal Hen
I ended up giving Byleth to Celine after a while. Her default class has crazy Luck growths, and Byleth's Divine Pulse means you can give her a big beefy tome like Nova and she'll practically never miss.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Warrior's one of the best classes. Great growths and its class skill is a huge boost to damage, albeit maybe a bit more situational on Normal or Hard where you're probably one-rounding more often than in Maddening.

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

I don't need friends! I've been
manipulatin' you since the start!
All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

I’m mostly using Lords in my playthrough because they all get unique advances classes. I’m sure Lapis is good but Diamont is Kingly and hits like a truck, loves to crit all the time. Somehow my Céline has insanely high str and can murder dudes. Good times.

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Wearer of Compasses. Slayer of Gods. Champion of the Colosseum. Heart of the Void.
Saviour of Hallownest.
I think Etie is probably lowkey the best of the three archers on Maddening.

All of them, Alcryst, Fogado and her struggle to double fliers and Alcryst and Fogado don't have the strength for a oneshot on Maddening, but Etie's extra 10% does a lot of good and taking her into warrior gives her 60% on that stat which is pretty powerful.

Veryslightlymad
Jun 3, 2007

I fight with
my brain
and with an
underlying
hatred of the
Erebonian
Noble Faction
I've talked about wanting to make Etie into a Halbardier, because, while she's slow as hell, she's got the second (third) highest strength on my team, with only Panette being more swole. And her dex is, of course, really good.

The drawback is, I dunno which archer would inherit the long bow strats, which is the use I have carved out for her, but getting two big hits on a thing appeals to me.

Flipside is, she doesn't have huge luck, and would only start with 14 defense if I moved her there. It's still really tempting.

I can't make Alcryst the distance archer because he's my crit archer, currently having anywhere from 55-70 crit, depending the enemy. Maybe I could move Fogado there, but it seems less worthwhile when it's not on Etie's strength.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Harrow posted:

Reclassing a magical unit to use the Radiant Bow isn't a bad idea at all, it's just that Hortensia's not a very good candidate compared to someone like Anna, Citrinne, or even Chloe.

*checks Serenes Forest*

How does Chloe have a better native MAG growth than Ivy.

Dr. Cool Aids
Jul 6, 2009
the magical properties of folk food

blizzardvizard
Sep 12, 2012

Shhh... don't wake up the sleeping lion :3:

Natural 20 posted:

I think Etie is probably lowkey the best of the three archers on Maddening.

All of them, Alcryst, Fogado and her struggle to double fliers and Alcryst and Fogado don't have the strength for a oneshot on Maddening, but Etie's extra 10% does a lot of good and taking her into warrior gives her 60% on that stat which is pretty powerful.

If we're talking about oneshotting fliers Radiant Bow is the best option anyway because its base Mt is so massive. And Fogado's the one with the best Mag stat of the three.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Dr. Cool Aids posted:

:hmmyes:

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
Warrior fogado is speedy with high builf alongside high str growth and decent mag.

The exp gap is too tough imo for maddening that you are better off cycling archers until fogado and warrior reclass becomes available.

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

Dr. Cool Aids posted:

Eating eyeballs gives her magical powers, like a witch or something

Veryslightlymad
Jun 3, 2007

I fight with
my brain
and with an
underlying
hatred of the
Erebonian
Noble Faction
She has high magic growth because she wants to believe in fairy tales.

Amber has No magic growth because he actually believes in fairy tales.

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Wearer of Compasses. Slayer of Gods. Champion of the Colosseum. Heart of the Void.
Saviour of Hallownest.

blizzardvizard posted:

If we're talking about oneshotting fliers Radiant Bow is the best option anyway because its base Mt is so massive. And Fogado's the one with the best Mag stat of the three.

Oh yeah but that road leads to just convert anna to a warrior or just convert pandreo to a warrior or just convert Mauvier to a warrior.

Sleng Teng
May 3, 2009

Look, I just really, really need to chase the 5x luna proc astral storm, okay? okay.

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

Does the Dancer class also go up to lv40?

Zore
Sep 21, 2010

Natural 20 posted:

Oh yeah but that road leads to just convert anna to a warrior or just convert pandreo to a warrior or just convert Mauvier to a warrior.

I mean Anna's native promote is Warrior, she's an Axe Fighter with a special proficiency in bows. The Radiant bow is practically made for her.

Miftan
Mar 31, 2012

Terry knows what he can do with his bloody chocolate orange...

Blackbelt Bobman posted:

Does the Dancer class also go up to lv40?

Yes.

Veryslightlymad
Jun 3, 2007

I fight with
my brain
and with an
underlying
hatred of the
Erebonian
Noble Faction

Zore posted:

I mean Anna's native promote is Warrior, she's an Axe Fighter with a special proficiency in bows. The Radiant bow is practically made for her.

I'm happy with Bow Knight Anna in a way that I highly doubt I would be with yet another mage. She can still do a little bit of work with non magic weaponry as the situation demands.

Hopefully Chloe's great magic will give her a piece of this niche, but with lances.

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Saviour of Hallownest.

Zore posted:

Sorry that's not to say that it isn't good or anything. Warrior Anna was my best archer by miles.

Captain Flame Guy
Mar 11, 2012

Fogado gets some pretty hilarious boosts to his stats when you reclass him into Warrior.

It honestly seems like all three of Etie, Alcryst, and Fogado can do better as a Warrior than they can as a Sniper or Bow Knight, with Alcryst's personal class being the exception due to Luna scaling very well.
Normally Warrior only gets C rank in bows but for those 3 characters it gets bumped up to B which is good enough to wield silver bows. Warrior also gives them more points into build to wield them easier too!

Miftan
Mar 31, 2012

Terry knows what he can do with his bloody chocolate orange...

Captain Flame Guy posted:

Fogado gets some pretty hilarious boosts to his stats when you reclass him into Warrior.

It honestly seems like all three of Etie, Alcryst, and Fogado can do better as a Warrior than they can as a Sniper or Bow Knight, with Alcryst's personal class being the exception due to Luna scaling very well.
Normally Warrior only gets C rank in bows but for those 3 characters it gets bumped up to B which is good enough to wield silver bows. Warrior also gives them more points into build to wield them easier too!

What site is that? Can you link it?

Zoran
Aug 19, 2008

I lost to you once, monster. I shall not lose again! Die now, that our future can live!

Captain Flame Guy posted:

Do note that you’re comparing his base class to a promoted one.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
Fogado despite only being able to reclass to warrior by chapter 14, was easily the top best physical attacker because no one else sported 20/20 range outside of kagetsu and merrin.

Ulio
Feb 17, 2011

Didn't play Three Houses yet so don't know if this is in that but this game is good because it has callisthenic workouts, get swole Divine Dragon.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

Tae posted:

Fogado despite only being able to reclass to warrior by chapter 14, was easily the top best physical attacker because no one else sported 20/20 range outside of kagetsu and merrin.

What does 20/20 range mean?

Captain Flame Guy
Mar 11, 2012

Miftan posted:

What site is that? Can you link it?

https://fe17.triangleattack.com/average_stats

Blaziken386
Jun 27, 2013

I'm what the kids call: a big nerd
eagerly awaiting the day that they patch in a "keep everyone in their default outfits" option

citrinne's outfit is incredibly cool and i love her big fashionable boots. sage, meanwhile, looks goofy as hell.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hopeandjoy
Nov 28, 2014

I have an extremely blessed Clanne who keeps slamming the gain MAG button and as such is my MVP.

I’ll miss it next playthrough when it’s not the case, because it’s made me a little fond of him.