Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Who is your favourite former IK?
This poll is closed.
metis 5 7.04%
Metis! 16 22.54%
Me, tis 18 25.35%
emits 14 19.72%
Hydrossity 18 25.35%
Total: 71 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

Kerrzhe posted:

is the story any good

According to IGN, the story is bad and poorly told, the game has constant performance issues and extremely frequent bugs, the inventory system never stops being annoying, and there’s almost zero enemy variety, with only the occasional identical troll set piece fight to break up firing your wand at the same guys.

They gave it a 9/10

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Metis of the Chat Thread
Aug 1, 2014

Jay Rust posted:

Fairy bread

thank you

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

Gripweed posted:

According to IGN, the story is bad and poorly told, the game has constant performance issues and extremely frequent bugs, the inventory system never stops being annoying, and there’s almost zero enemy variety, with only the occasional identical troll set piece fight to break up firing your wand at the same guys.

They gave it a 9/10

God of War 2018?

TheWorldsaStage
Sep 10, 2020

Gripweed posted:

They gave it a 9/10

quote:

I’m happy to say that we finally got a Harry Potter game that captures some of that magic. Its open world map absolutely nails the vibe of Hogwarts School of Witchcraft and Wizardry, it has spellcasting combat that’s stupefyingly good, the characters that inhabit it are charming and unforgettable, and it is positively brimming with countless diversions to soak up dozens of hours of your time. It may not be the most impressive technical achievement and it is certainly cursed with a lack of enemy variety, but none of Hogwarts Legacy’s issues can cast a Descendo charm on this triumphant visit to the Wizarding World.

Yeah they just hate it

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

TheWorldsaStage posted:

Yeah they just hate it

That sounds more like he just really likes Harry Potter than anything else.

LionArcher
Mar 29, 2010

quit these forums about 6 months ago, and came back last week briefly while I had my first head cold in three years. (I thought it was covid finally getting me to start, but after a number of tests ever 48 hours for a week and other people who got sick at the same hang out all testing negative multiple times it was in fact just a head cold). It's been great to catch up on gaming questions, and chat about keyboards and great tv like the last of us.

But the Harry potter conversation reminds me why I quit, and why I'll probably be leaving again.

First, JK is a jerk. Nobody here is arguing against that. But when I see posts about how buying the game makes you a lovely person, that turns into moral high horse bullshit that's ridiculous and coming from always online people. (I'm not calling out any one poster, I'm more seeing this on twitter but wanted to vent for a second). Do you fly for vacation ever? Did you plan on children and have more than one? Do you own multiple cars (or other motor vehicles) not just for a job requirement, but for pleasurable activities? These are all easy to argue to be far worse ethical behavior then buying a freaking video game. I won't because that's silly, but if we're in ethics mode philosophy, it's easy to argue.

It's the same kind of silly thought process where we talk constantly about defunding the police, without taking into account how that messaging is silly and dumb, versus what we actually want (then not getting away with killing innocent people, corruption, bloated budgets, that sort of thing.

Lastly, I want to just say, my biggest annoyance about the JK stuff is people can't just talk about how she's problematic, they have to tear down her work as well. Yes, there are racist tropes. But her impact on getting multiple generations to read can not be understated, and as much as there is "better" writing out there, she really did bottle lighting, and as fellow writer, that should be appreciated. You can just not like her poo poo, but pretending it's all bad is... silly and puritanical.

I haven't pre ordered the game, and probably won't buy it new. (If nothing else, IGN showed it clearly needs an update or two). I'm in the middle of ghost of Tsushima directors cut, and loving it. I've got a huge backlog, and the next new game I'm probably buying is either advance wars on the switch or the best and hopefully highest selling game of the year, Zelda, tears of the kingdom.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Looper posted:

it was fail in pokemon because you couldn't decorate your dorm

This is true, sadly.

LionArcher
Mar 29, 2010

Jay Rust posted:

God of War 2018?

A good post and how i felt playing GOW 2018.

The Dark Souls of Posters
Nov 4, 2011

Just Post, Kupo
Holy poo poo, stop caring about the discourse of this stupid game.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Imagine if people talked about games they liked instead of *wafts hand vaugely* this

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
Harry pooper

Nov 4, 2011

Just Post, Kupo
I’m liking Hi-Fi Rush. The combat is a lot of fun

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

LionArcher posted:

quit these forums about 6 months ago, and came back last week briefly while I had my first head cold in three years. (I thought it was covid finally getting me to start, but after a number of tests ever 48 hours for a week and other people who got sick at the same hang out all testing negative multiple times it was in fact just a head cold). It's been great to catch up on gaming questions, and chat about keyboards and great tv like the last of us.

But the Harry potter conversation reminds me why I quit, and why I'll probably be leaving again.

First, JK is a jerk. Nobody here is arguing against that. But when I see posts about how buying the game makes you a lovely person, that turns into moral high horse bullshit that's ridiculous and coming from always online people. (I'm not calling out any one poster, I'm more seeing this on twitter but wanted to vent for a second). Do you fly for vacation ever? Did you plan on children and have more than one? Do you own multiple cars (or other motor vehicles) not just for a job requirement, but for pleasurable activities? These are all easy to argue to be far worse ethical behavior then buying a freaking video game. I won't because that's silly, but if we're in ethics mode philosophy, it's easy to argue.

It's the same kind of silly thought process where we talk constantly about defunding the police, without taking into account how that messaging is silly and dumb, versus what we actually want (then not getting away with killing innocent people, corruption, bloated budgets, that sort of thing.

Lastly, I want to just say, my biggest annoyance about the JK stuff is people can't just talk about how she's problematic, they have to tear down her work as well. Yes, there are racist tropes. But her impact on getting multiple generations to read can not be understated, and as much as there is "better" writing out there, she really did bottle lighting, and as fellow writer, that should be appreciated. You can just not like her poo poo, but pretending it's all bad is... silly and puritanical.

I haven't pre ordered the game, and probably won't buy it new. (If nothing else, IGN showed it clearly needs an update or two). I'm in the middle of ghost of Tsushima directors cut, and loving it. I've got a huge backlog, and the next new game I'm probably buying is either advance wars on the switch or the best and hopefully highest selling game of the year, Zelda, tears of the kingdom.

lol

TheWorldsaStage
Sep 10, 2020

FlowerRhythmREMIX posted:

I’m liking Hi-Fi Rush. The combat is a lot of fun

It's really good

Nov 4, 2011

Just Post, Kupo
After struggling to complete single player games last year I’m being a lot more intentional and focused on what I play. And it’s working out, I completed three games in January.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

LionArcher posted:

You want to buy Hogwarts Legacy and have sex with it.

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
Do I have to make another bad tier list to derail Harry Potter discourse

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY

LionArcher posted:

Brain damage

TheWorldsaStage
Sep 10, 2020

hatty posted:

I'm still reeling from your insult to biscuits

Nov 4, 2011

Just Post, Kupo

hatty posted:

On second thought. Your brave post was good. I apologize for the cruel words I shared towards it before.

E: the list itself was bad

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Every day I stare at my Steam library and just have no motivation to play any of it. What gives?

Doomtrain
Sep 12, 2006
A mood train?
Harry Poggers

Red Alert 2 Yuris Revenge
May 8, 2006

"My brain is amazing! It's full of wrinkles, and... Uh... Wait... What am I trying to say?"

LionArcher posted:

adieu

Nov 4, 2011

Just Post, Kupo

stev posted:

Every day I stare at my Steam library and just have no motivation to play any of it. What gives?

Let’s have the chat thread pick something. Post the library

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

LionArcher posted:

How bout No? - Dr. Evil.

Nov 4, 2011

Just Post, Kupo
Speaking of gluten. My wife made sourdough biscuits and they’re extremely good. Eating a fresh one right now

Kerrzhe
Nov 5, 2008

i was looking at the list of pokemon for a count of how many food-based ones there are (3 in gen 5, 7 in gen 8, 5 in gen 9) but came across one from gen 8 that i hadn't seen before or forgot about and i think it's the saddest thing i've seen in a while

poor corsola :(

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Let’s have the chat thread pick something. Post the library

This is my current 'stuff I actually want to play/started ages ago and need to finish' list. I'm burned out on Hitman and FF14 at the moment and I play Snap on my phone.

Cactus
Jun 24, 2006

Sakurazuka posted:

Imagine if people talked about games they liked instead of *wafts hand vaugely* this

It'd be nice.

stev posted:

This is my current 'stuff I actually want to play/started ages ago and need to finish' list. I'm burned out on Hitman and FF14 at the moment and I play Snap on my phone.

Vampire Survivors hands down.

Nov 4, 2011

Just Post, Kupo
Easy, Death Stranding. Uninstall everything else so that’s all you can play

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Play Pentiment

mutata
Mar 1, 2003

Everyone who posts below this line loves Harry Potter (which means they are morally bankrupt, just lower than dirt)

-----------------------------------------------------------------

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

LionArcher posted:

getting multiple generations to read Harry Potter isn't a good thing

Danger
Jan 4, 2004

all desire - the thirst for oil, war, religious salvation - needs to be understood according to what he calls 'the demonogrammatical decoding of the Earth's body'
Possibly a good poo poo posting gimmick atm is to constantly remind people on Twitter that the head of the guys behind Overwatch or whatever openly colluded with the CIA to spy on people and was in Epstein’s flight logs.

mutata
Mar 1, 2003

Danger posted:

Possibly a good poo poo posting gimmick atm is to constantly remind people on Twitter that the head of the guys behind Overwatch or whatever openly colluded with the CIA to spy on people and was in Epstein’s flight logs.

Yeah, that's pwnage. Totally fuckin' epic, bro. What's your favorite Harry Potter character?

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Cactus posted:

Vampire Survivors hands down.

Easy, Death Stranding. Uninstall everything else so that’s all you can play

Waffleman_ posted:

Play Pentiment

Oh no. They're all good options. :ohdear:

Red Alert 2 Yuris Revenge
May 8, 2006

"My brain is amazing! It's full of wrinkles, and... Uh... Wait... What am I trying to say?"

stev posted:

play monkey island

Kerrzhe
Nov 5, 2008

Waffleman_ posted:

Play Pentiment

Nov 4, 2011

Just Post, Kupo
I’ll change my vote to monkey island to help reduce options.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro

stev posted:

Death Stranding is cool and chill