Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
Studying the art of terrorists
To keep you safe

Timby posted:

Apparently Paramount is considering canceling Yellowstone because there are eight episodes left to film this season, and Kevin Costner only wants to work for one week total on them.

lol THAT'S the guy who was in 3,000 Miles to Graceland.

Medullah posted:

I don't like the varied prices but I guess I'm in the minority that I fuckin love assigned seating at my local theater. Get tickets in advance, show up right before the movie starts and no worrying about getting a poo poo spot.

Oh, don't get me wrong, I loving love assigned seating, too. It's changed how I go to the movies for the better. I just think paying extra for certain seats is going to bite them in the rear end.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

External Organs
Mar 3, 2006

One time i prank called a bear buildin workshop and said I wanted my mamaws ashes put in a teddy from where she loved them things so well... The woman on the phone did not skip a beat. She just said, "Brang her on down here. We've did it before."

Timby posted:

Nope. According to Deadline, if they can't come to terms with Costner, they're looking at making a Yellowstone spin-off set in the same modern-day time period except potentially starring Matthew McConaughey.

Help! My boomer show is being boomer'd

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
To keep you safe

GreenNight posted:

Ya'll want some more fuckin Dexter. YOU GOT IT

Oh my god, yes.

I mean, for all the wrong reasons, but definitely yes.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

thrawn527 posted:

Oh, don't get me wrong, I loving love assigned seating, too. It's changed how I go to the movies for the better. I just think paying extra for certain seats is going to bite them in the rear end.

Yeah, assigned pre-purchased seats are good.

As long as more people opt for the cheap seats than the expensive ones then this will end up being a net loss for AMC. If the seats truly are the center, then I can see people just avoiding the center and get the closest thing to it in the case of a lightly populated theater.

The thing is though, they long since moved to all luxury recliners in all the screens of my local amc which has lowered the density dramatically. Here's a normal digital screen at my local AMC.

There's not really a ton of room there for seat price segmentation.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

It would be funny to see the visible stripe of empty seats up the middle at less-attended showings as they jack up prices. If I went to a theater, but I haven't for 3 or 4 years now, and this really doesn't make me want to.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Assigned seating is good and how all screenings should be

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

1st row at the New Beverly are usually the first seats to go because they built them far enough from the screen to give them decent sight lines. There was another theater in Los Angeles that used to have couches for the first two rows.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.

ruddiger posted:

1st row at the New Beverly are usually the first seats to go because they built them far enough from the screen to give them decent sight lines. There was another theater in Los Angeles that used to have couches for the first two rows.

The newer Alamo theaters are the same way, at least in Houston and Austin. There’s a quasi-stage at the front for when people are presenting movies or doing Q&A’s and the second row is actually the perfect distance from the screen. Even the front row isn’t too bad.

Haptical Sales Slut
Mar 15, 2010

Age 18 to 49
I wonder if amc will adopt surge pricing or whatever Uber does when it’s busy so opening weekend for antman 7 is 300 bux for a middle seat lol

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Timby posted:

Apparently Paramount is considering canceling Yellowstone because there are eight episodes left to film this season, and Kevin Costner only wants to work for one week total on them.

Is there a reason he only wants to do a week of work on it?

Is this one of those times where a lawyer needs to explain to him what a contract is?

Aye Doc
Jul 19, 2007

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK posted:

Is there a reason he only wants to do a week of work on it?

Is this one of those times where a lawyer needs to explain to him what a contract is?

he's currently busy filming and producing an Epic Western movie called Horizon that he plans to turn into a four movie series

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
All these awful boomer rancher cowboy hat truck shows, with the threat of boring Costner westerns on the horizon, and nobody wants any of that, yet we all have been begging for a gritty cyberpunk reboot of Little House on the Prairie, and they won't even throw us a little bone.

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

People just don't want to work anymore :cry:

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS

Azhais posted:

It's ok, but the season one finale episodes are certainly over the top violent, and I could do without the ham handed civics lessons from his mom

Jesus Christ you weren't kidding

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

The last movie I saw in a theater was Rise of Skywalker and I have yet to feel any need to return to a theater.

MarsPearl
Feb 19, 2021
Watching Poker Face episode 4 and a small delight as a Mountain Goats fan is that John Darnielle really obviously wrote every song his character is coming up with, the strumming rhythms, lyrics and the fact that he uses an infuriating amount of barre chords (I am trying to learn the songs atm and I hate them) make it very obvious.

Read After Burning
Feb 19, 2013

"All this, for me? 💃Ah, you didn't have to! 🥰"

I AM GRANDO posted:

The last movie I saw in a theater was Rise of Skywalker and I have yet to feel any need to return to a theater.

:same: but with Once Upon a Time in Hollywood.

I normally find Tarantino movies to be way too long for a theater experience, but I took an edible beforehand and time flew by.

I'm just a sucker for poo poo set in the 60s. I need to rewatch Mad Men for the 15th time...

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

MarsPearl posted:

Watching Poker Face episode 4 and a small delight as a Mountain Goats fan is that John Darnielle really obviously wrote every song his character is coming up with, the strumming rhythms, lyrics and the fact that he uses an infuriating amount of barre chords (I am trying to learn the songs atm and I hate them) make it very obvious.

Wait, is the sloppy kid the Mountain Goats man? I'm not actually familiar enough to conjure a song in my head hearing the name but know it regardless, and would've pegged that kid as being in some trash band or other chaotic garagey band type deal.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Wh…..no it’s the one who sings and the same voice from Mountain Goats songs comes out. The guitarist.

Luvcow
Jul 1, 2007

One day nearer spring

Khanstant posted:

Wait, is the sloppy kid the Mountain Goats man? I'm not actually familiar enough to conjure a song in my head hearing the name but know it regardless, and would've pegged that kid as being in some trash band or other chaotic garagey band type deal.

lead guitarist with the thin face not the sloppy kid

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Just a reminder that John Darnielle is also an author who has written multiple novels. There's Wolf in White Van about a disfigured young man who runs a play by post RPG, Universal Harvester in which a videostore clerk discovers that someone has been recording over movies with disturbing homemade clips and his most recent novel Devil House which follows a true crime author trying to get over his writer's block by going to extreme measures.

MarsPearl
Feb 19, 2021

Khanstant posted:

Nah the guitarist who keeps playing acoustic songs.

Also boy howdy episode 5 lost me hard pure fascist propaganda, fake history poo poo where the 70's leftist feminist movement plotted modern terrorist attacks to kill high schoolers and the white male cult leader is a saint absolved of all sins by cooperating with the FBI while his followers who were horribly brutalised and imprisoned by the cops are portrayed as pure evil, also the major proof relies on not knowing how heartbeats or heartbeat monitors work.

MarsPearl fucked around with this message at 03:41 on Feb 7, 2023

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

GreenNight posted:

Ya'll want some more fuckin Dexter. YOU GOT IT

I explicitly did not want this

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
Ohhh right, totally blanked there was another dude writing songs throughout the ep, they were fun/sad.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Big Mean Jerk posted:

That’s hilarious, which has me thinking when was the last time a network cancelled their biggest show for dumb reasons?

It wasn't a network but Star Trek: TNG was cancelled at the height of its popularity with pretty much everyone involved in the show wanting to make more episodes.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

Mu Zeta posted:

It wasn't a network but Star Trek: TNG was cancelled at the height of its popularity with pretty much everyone involved in the show wanting to make more episodes.

What was hilarious was the reason was said that the writers ran out of ideas. Even 10 yr old me was like, hire different writers!

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

“Do we really want to do an episode about Geordi’s mom? Are people excited to see that? What about the doctor’s grandma’s gently caress ghost?”

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"
*Stewart reading the script about the Exocomps*

“loving BULLSHIT!”

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer

muscles like this! posted:

Just a reminder that John Darnielle is also an author who has written multiple novels. There's Wolf in White Van about a disfigured young man who runs a play by post RPG, Universal Harvester in which a videostore clerk discovers that someone has been recording over movies with disturbing homemade clips and his most recent novel Devil House which follows a true crime author trying to get over his writer's block by going to extreme measures.

Can recommend all of these, they are excellent

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

I think he can hear you, Ray.
Costner tanking his show because he's bored of it and wants to make his own Western instead is some good poo poo.

I know people like to 'Haha it's a Boomer show' with YELLOWSTONE but isn't it really popular with younger audiences?

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

DrVenkman posted:

Costner tanking his show because he's bored of it and wants to make his own Western instead is some good poo poo.

I know people like to 'Haha it's a Boomer show' with YELLOWSTONE but isn't it really popular with younger audiences?

it's 3:1 over 50:under 50 lol and viacom is trying realllllllly hard to pretend it's cool to get more viewers in the demo by only publicizing percentage increases

Sentinel Red
Nov 13, 2007
Style > Content.

I AM GRANDO posted:

A film so bad I had to make one last trip to the cinema just so I don’t die knowing TROS was the last one I saw.

Turbinosamente
May 29, 2013

Lights on, Lights off
poo poo, now you guys have me questioning what was the last thing I saw in theaters was. It was Wakanda Forever I think and welp, hopefully Rifftrax Live this year is something baller because I have no other real movie going plans.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

I got tickets to Ant Man in a few weeks.

Oasx
Oct 11, 2006

Freshly Squeezed

thrawn527 posted:

Out of curiosity, where is "over here"?

Denmark. All ticket seats are numbered and your ticket says where you sit. Theaters generally operate at three price levels.
There are one or two rows in the upper part of the room that has the most expensive tickets (1-2$ more), they almost always have extra legroom.
The front 2-3 rows are the cheapest (1-2$ cheaper), and the rest of the seats have the standard price

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
To keep you safe

I AM GRANDO posted:

“Do we really want to do an episode about Geordi’s mom? Are people excited to see that? What about the doctor’s grandma’s gently caress ghost?

Don't you dare take this episode away from me.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Mu Zeta posted:

And then they did 30 years later and it's going to suck

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
What do you mean it's going to suck? Picard already happened and is by far the worst Trek. The existence of Picard s2 and s2 alone has removed Picard from captain tier lists

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
To keep you safe

Khanstant posted:

What do you mean it's going to suck? Picard already happened and is by far the worst Trek. The existence of Picard s2 and s2 alone has removed Picard from captain tier lists

Picard seasons 1 and 2 weren't really TNG season 8. They were "Picard does some weird poo poo, with brief appearances from Riker and Troi".

Picard season 3 is going to be TNG season 8. And it's probably going to suck.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sentinel Red
Nov 13, 2007
Style > Content.
Goons tend to be hyperbolic but the reaction to S2 was so unanimously appalled that I just never bothered to watch it.

Also, the world is a more interesting place for having an hour of TV about gran’ma Crusher’s Celtic alien sex ghost, it’s so loving absurd that it wraps around to un-bad.