Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Who's your 2022 MVP?
This poll is closed.
Shohei Ohtani 50 59.52%
Aaron Judge 19 22.62%
Hey, the national league has an MVP too you know! 15 17.86%
Total: 84 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

tadashi posted:

I can 100% identify with this man not remembering what happened 4 months ago.

gently caress the last four weeks have been so much for me I can barely remember before them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer
Baseball is back!

For one weekend at least...

BigBallChunkyTime
Nov 25, 2011

Kyle Schwarber: World Series hero, Beefy Lad, better than you.

Illegal Hen

gently caress yes im gonna strike out all the motherfuckers with Satchel Page.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

tadashi posted:

I can 100% identify with this man not remembering what happened 4 months ago.

The way he puts it is so funny though. "we were just four games from the world series", I mean I've heard "one game away" or "x outs away" but "we were one 'getting-swept-out-of-the-playoffs' away from the world series" - nobody is happy about getting swept out of the postseason, it isn't unrealistic and overly-demanding Yankees fans. I'm pretty sure the Ms aren't happy about getting swept out and they hadn't been there for ages.

Honestly if I were secretly paying Cashman lots of money to say things to troll the poo poo out of and enrage NYY fans, I'm not sure what he'd be saying differently

Troxartas
Jan 13, 2007

The Old Warhorse

mcmagic posted:

Are their families getting royalties?

According to the blog post from the playstation tweet, it says they're partnering with the families of the players. Doesn't outright say they're paying them though

https://twitter.com/PlayStation/status/1622597061332946944

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

The Mets have hired Beltran to their FO, he'll be leaving YES network.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
The Show licenses the rights to active player name and likeness through the MLBPA and MiLBPA respectively, and then independently negotiates the rights to the names and likenesses of others they want in the game like Maddux. Sometimes it takes them a while to do this, like IIRC David Ross was not the Cubs manager in The Show the first two years of his actual tenure because they didn't have the rights to put him in, probably because of something lingering from his ESPN deal.

If I had to guess SDS worked with MLB to find and work with known estates of Negro League players to handle name and likeness stuff. If there was compensation involved, I doubt it was very much at all.

more falafel please
Feb 26, 2005

forums poster

I wonder if they have recreations of Negro League ballparks and stuff too.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

The vague hint of being able to barnstorm is the first time I’ve been tempted to upgrade my console in awhile.

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

STAC Goat posted:

The vague hint of being able to barnstorm is the first time I’ve been tempted to upgrade my console in awhile.

The PS5 rules so much dooooo it!

ccubed
Jul 14, 2016

How's it hanging, brah?
https://twitter.com/DanHayesMLB/status/1622682105284071434

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

Grimey Drawer
Just realizing the WBC starts tomorrow, I can't wait.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Kilometers Davis posted:

The PS5 rules so much dooooo it!

Jokes on you. I have a PS3.

more falafel please
Feb 26, 2005

forums poster

Popete posted:

Just realizing the WBC starts tomorrow, I can't wait.

I don't think so? Starts March 8 (in Taiwan, so the first game will be at 11PM ET on the 7th) and goes through the 21st.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Doctor: Carlos Correa's Second Baby "Worst I've Ever Seen"

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

Grimey Drawer

more falafel please posted:

I don't think so? Starts March 8 (in Taiwan, so the first game will be at 11PM ET on the 7th) and goes through the 21st.

Yes you're right I just forgot what month it was.

Kevlar v2.0
Dec 25, 2003

=^•⩊•^=

BigBallChunkyTime posted:

gently caress yes im gonna strike out all the motherfuckers with Satchel Page.

One of the old All-Star Baseball games had a playground mode that would just pick 2 random players per position from any time period and you'd do a schoolyard pick back and forth for the players you want on your team. You only got one pitcher for all 9 innings, so whoever had the first pick inevitably always won because they'd have Bob Feller and their opponent would have Sidney Ponson.

BigDumper
Feb 15, 2008

That baby’s going to have some hosed up ankles

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

lmao Houston’s owner is really gonna tear down a premier player development system that delivered 1.5 championships all because he had personal beef with the GM who implemented it and has a retired old guy in his ear, incredible stuff

https://twitter.com/drivelinebases/status/1622686517578854401?s=46&t=eIrxXv9kpdhwAoQZPch9jA

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Dana Brown on analytics

quote:

"I think it's a piece of the puzzle," Brown said. "We have a saying that we have to weigh all the evidence, and when you weigh all the evidence, you can cut back on the mistakes that are made. We really feel that analytics is a big part of it. I just think that it's an issue of weighing all the evidence.

"At the end of the day, these are human beings. We have to tap into what does it take to make this guy a better player, what does it take to extend them long-term, and things like that. But analytics is certainly a part of it."

Dana Brown is also supposed to be a master at talent scouting and a development genius as well, which should calm the genuine concerns the former Reds exec there has for the Astros farm system. Unless Baggy's master plan was to bypass all the terrible old-school boys club names that kept coming up like Brad Ausmus and lull us into a false sense of security by hiring the universally praised candidate all so he could dismantle analytics once and for all.

zoux fucked around with this message at 01:06 on Feb 7, 2023

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.
Please for the love of god get Bagwell out of the front office and back into the front row of Metallica’s retirement home tour.

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

The tweet from the Driveline guy says they’ve already rolled back a bunch of stuff in the player development pipeline the past several years. Guess we’ll find out in 5 years or so.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
https://twitter.com/jaysonst/status/1621493117043019777

Good breakdown from The Athletic just how drastically the reduced intra-division games this year will change some team's schedules and amount of time traveling.

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

I got a taste for blown saves

bawfuls posted:

The tweet from the Driveline guy says they’ve already rolled back a bunch of stuff in the player development pipeline the past several years. Guess we’ll find out in 5 years or so.

This thing that works? No more of it

Jim Crane is a cat that's getting a tummyrub then out of nowhere bites the person's hand and scurries off

camoseven
Dec 30, 2005

RODOLPHONE RINGIN'

Sydin posted:

https://twitter.com/jaysonst/status/1621493117043019777

Good breakdown from The Athletic just how drastically the reduced intra-division games this year will change some team's schedules and amount of time traveling.

I think this is bad, but I also think the fight was lost years ago when interleague started. It'll be weird but I'll get used to it and maybe even come to enjoy it!

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

Just more east coast bias as west coast teams have to travel even more now smh

Dinosaurs!
May 22, 2003

I support balanced schedules across a league, but the amount of interleague play being introduced this season makes having two leagues feel arbitrary.

Mr. Fix It
Oct 26, 2000

💀ayyy💀

Dinosaurs! posted:

I support balanced schedules across a league, but the amount of interleague play being introduced this season makes having two leagues feel arbitrary.

it's a psyop to get us to accept the abolition of the leagues and replacement with NBA-style regional conferences and divisions.

Paper Tiger
Jun 17, 2007

🖨️🐯torn apart by idle hands

Mr. Fix It posted:

it's a psyop to get us to accept the abolition of the leagues and replacement with NBA-style regional conferences and divisions.

Must be a good psyop, it's already worked on me!

rickiep00h
Aug 16, 2010

BATDANCE

zoux posted:

Doctor: Carlos Correa's Second Baby "Worst I've Ever Seen"

:drat:

Dinosaurs!
May 22, 2003

I’d be down with leagues getting an East-West realignment. Dividing things up gets tricky once you hit the great lakes, though.

General Bullshit
Apr 20, 2020

Interleague sucks so much. Who wants to watch the Tigers play the Marlins?

Mr. Fix It
Oct 26, 2000

💀ayyy💀

General Bullshit posted:

perverts, absolute perverts. that said, when do they play?

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!
Interleague has a very high ceiling (yankees dodgers) and a low floor (rays reds) but getting rid of the unbalanced schedule is good. 19 games against the orioles was really painful.

KICK BAMA KICK
Mar 2, 2009

Maybe the old way of interleague scheduling rotating between divisions wasn't optimal; maybe the new way isn't. I just strongly prefer either of those to a system where two guys could have like 20-year superstar careers just miles away from each other and never meet once.

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006

General Bullshit posted:

Dontrelle Willis

BigBallChunkyTime
Nov 25, 2011

Kyle Schwarber: World Series hero, Beefy Lad, better than you.

Illegal Hen

General Bullshit posted:

Inter conference play happens in all the other leagues. I think it's great to be able to watch players you normally wouldn't be able to.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

How many guys am I expected to know about? It’s too many

Carlosologist
Oct 13, 2013

Revelry in the Dark

Listen we all know this thread is for the sickos and perverts who would watch Royals-DBacks on a random Tuesday afternoon, might as well embrace the balanced schedule and the weird poo poo it’ll bring

Also, don’t forget that this year the bigger bags and limited pickoffs are coming. Might see stealing come back

Carlosologist fucked around with this message at 05:51 on Feb 7, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Red
Apr 15, 2003

Yeah, great at getting us into Wawa.

mcmagic posted:

Interleague has a very high ceiling (yankees dodgers) and a low floor (rays reds) but getting rid of the unbalanced schedule is good. 19 games against the orioles was really painful.

The Phillies and Orioles are like an hour and a half apart and play once every three or four years, it’s idiotic