Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Who ya got?
This poll is closed.
Chiefs 42 41.18%
Eagles 60 58.82%
Total: 102 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

I still can’t believe I was so depressed in 2020 I missed the entire Bucs season that year :negative:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sharknado slashfic
Jun 24, 2011

Trent Dilfer owns

Ornery and Hornery
Oct 22, 2020

syzpid posted:

There was a story last week that CBS had an intervention with Romo about his broadcasting before this season started. So they haven't been happy with him either.

quote:

“To call this an intervention is a complete mischaracterization, we meet regularly with our on-air talent,” CBS Sports spokeswoman Jen Sabatelle said…

…While the get-togethers were said to have gone well, they did not improve the broadcast as Nantz and Romo continued to go in the wrong direction, much the same way as Nantz and his previous partner, Phil Simms, went backward.

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

Aw hunny, these came out GREAT!
I'm still Mad about Chargers/Bucs in 2020

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
Maybe Nantz just sucks poo poo

aBagorn
Aug 26, 2004

Shinjobi posted:

Maybe Nantz just sucks poo poo

yeah was gonna say "seems like a common denominator here"

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

aBagorn posted:

yeah was gonna say "seems like a common denominator here"

He loves calling golf, much like how Joe Buck hated calling baseball.

soggybagel
Aug 6, 2006
The official account of NFL Tackle Phil Loadholt.

Let's talk Football.
Dilf!!

https://twitter.com/dakidgowie/status/1622670771469393951?s=46&t=Kn3aEjZU3ZHx2B8YUJMkTQ

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

how can we not talk about family
when family's all that we got?
Eagles already had their nightmare difficulty run to the SB, idc if they have an easy go of it this time

Lifespan
Mar 5, 2002

It's also funny that the throw had such a high arc that even the worst defense in the modern NFL would have a defender in range of intercepting that.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

Is this a shot across the bow of Ja Morant?

Strobe
Jun 30, 2014
GW BRAINWORMS CREW

Lifespan posted:

It's also funny that the throw had such a high arc that even the worst defense in the modern NFL would have a defender in range of intercepting that.

I think you'll find that Trent Dilfer, genius quarterback, threw that ball in such a way that no defender could possibly catch it

because it was five yards out of bounds

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

That dropback my word

Asproigerosis
Mar 13, 2013

insufferable
the 7 step drop back, the I formation. Wow. Why the gently caress does anyone listen to anything from players 20+ years out of the game?

Kawalimus
Jan 17, 2008

Better Living Through Birding And Pessimism

Timby posted:

Remember that Dilfer is in part responsible for that garbage QBR stat that ESPN loves.

I'm pretty sure Dilfer was just their sort of celebrity endorsement type thing for it and it really was cooked up by various stat people.

Kawalimus
Jan 17, 2008

soggybagel posted:

Anyone watch bullies of Baltimore doc? I watched the first 20 minutes and thought it was trash. Just a real victory lap and was pretty boring.

I posted my thoughts on it earlier as a Ravens fan. It's not a documentary at all like a 30 for 30, just they made a presentation of a 2000 Ravens tribute event they had at the meyerhoff last year. So really nice reflection for Ravens fans who remember that team but nobody else really. There wasn't really anything new that hasn't been covered in other things. But of course as a Ravens fan I loved it.

Kawalimus fucked around with this message at 11:07 on Feb 7, 2023

Kawalimus
Jan 17, 2008

Dilfer is weird because one minute he talks about how he was a real bad QB but the next minute he says how mad he was for 15 years they let him go. The comment about how he's not impressed with Rodgers etc I think was a clumsy way of trying to say he found defensive play more impressive cause he's like "what's impressive is what these guys do". But he wasn't saying he was a good QB in 2000 he straight up admits he was bad. Plus I think it was edited and presented in a way to make it sound more controversial than it was.

Also that twitter user says the pick 6 in the SB shouldn't have been called back and is wrong. Jamal Lewis got held which is why the ball went right to Jessie Armstead

Also when you watch that Patrick Johnson play on the alternate commentary from that SB which is the one that clip is using the guy blames it on Patrick Johnson? Says that Johnson should have cut to the middle of the field so Dilfer had more space to throw it. I don't know how true that is. But Patrick Johnson was maybe worse of a receiver than Dilfer was a QB. We could have drafted Hines Ward instead of him.

Kawalimus fucked around with this message at 11:00 on Feb 7, 2023

SilvergunSuperman
Aug 7, 2010

Timby posted:

Remember that Dilfer is in part responsible for that garbage QBR stat that ESPN loves.

Wait isn't the official nfl one way dumber?

fartknocker
Oct 28, 2012

Damn it, this always happens. I think I'm gonna score, and then I never score. It's not fair.

Wedge Regret

SilvergunSuperman posted:

Wait isn't the official nfl one way dumber?

The ESPN “Total QBR” literally includes clutch timing as a factor, so it’s far, far dumber.

The official stat passer rating (Also sometimes called quarterback rating) is old since it’s from the early 70s and has various quirks with it, like how throwing a bunch of passes directly into the dirt gets you a 39 rating (Which has the benefit of making those really low ratings and the occasional 0.0 all the more special), or how a perfect rating is 158.3.

fsif
Jul 18, 2003

I don't really see QBR as inherently dumber than EPA, DVOA, PFF grades, or any other opaque metric that gets shared in chart form around here.

Kawalimus
Jan 17, 2008

fartknocker posted:

The ESPN “Total QBR” literally includes clutch timing as a factor, so it’s far, far dumber.

The official stat passer rating (Also sometimes called quarterback rating) is old since it’s from the early 70s and has various quirks with it, like how throwing a bunch of passes directly into the dirt gets you a 39 rating (Which has the benefit of making those really low ratings and the occasional 0.0 all the more special), or how a perfect rating is 158.3.

Clutch timing isn't 100% bullshit though, stuff like performance on 3rd and 4th downs and at the end of the game is absolutely meaningful. Assuming that's what's even meant by clutch timing which I'm not sure.

MikeCrotch
Nov 5, 2011

I AM UNJUSTIFIABLY PROUD OF MY SPAGHETTI BOLOGNESE RECIPE

YES, IT IS AN INCREDIBLY SIMPLE DISH

NO, IT IS NOT NORMAL TO USE A PEPPERAMI INSTEAD OF MINCED MEAT

YES, THERE IS TOO MUCH SALT IN MY RECIPE

NO, I WON'T STOP SHARING IT

more like BOLLOCKnese
One of the big issues with QBR is that you're super penalised for interceptions which have a lot of luck in them. So you can have someone like Dak who has a terrible QBR because his receivers keep loving things up and leading to picks or Goff who has a good QBR who keeps chucking into danger but gets away with it.

The main thing is that QBR is not very predictive of success which means its kinda useless from an evaluation standpoint

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.
ESPN and Dilfer started QBR just to poo poo on Tony Romo and he dominated the stat :lol:

Nodoze
Aug 17, 2006

If it's only for a night I can live without you

fsif posted:

I don't really see QBR as inherently dumber than EPA, DVOA, PFF grades, or any other opaque metric that gets shared in chart form around here.

QBR tries to include "clutch", which..yeah. PFF grades are basically just as bad or worse since we know it's just random interns locked in a room with their eyes taped open

EPA is just straight up math based off historical scoring data. Whether you like it or not its way less hokey than the other two

Kawalimus
Jan 17, 2008

MikeCrotch posted:

One of the big issues with QBR is that you're super penalised for interceptions which have a lot of luck in them. So you can have someone like Dak who has a terrible QBR because his receivers keep loving things up and leading to picks or Goff who has a good QBR who keeps chucking into danger but gets away with it.

The main thing is that QBR is not very predictive of success which means its kinda useless from an evaluation standpoint

Yeah there are tons of different types of interceptions so you can't lump them all into the same thing. If QBR does that then it's bunk.

Nodoze
Aug 17, 2006

posted:

The biggest victim of the Eagles cornerback’s honesty Monday at the Footprint Center was Matt Patricia, his former Lions head coach who just was replaced as Patriots offensive coordinator by Bill O’Brien after a disastrous first year calling offensive plays. The Lions traded Slay to the Eagles in March 2020 and fired Patricia about eight months later.

“It was just weird how he came in like he was bigger and better than all of us,” Slay recalled of Patricia’s initial tone with the Lions. “He was acting like we asked to be there. We do get selected. That was the crazy part about him.”
“He basically just said, ‘You are not in that category yet,’ ” Slay said. “At that time, I only had one Pro Bowl but now I’m at five, so I want to know how he feels about that now. I don’t wish bad on him, but as a man, me and him just don’t get along. He’s a smart coach, he knows his Xs and Os, but the disrespect is not what I’m with.”

Matt Patricia, the gift that keeps giving

MikeCrotch
Nov 5, 2011

more like BOLLOCKnese
Really got some doubts about how much Matt knows about the X's and Os given past performance

fsif
Jul 18, 2003

Nodoze posted:

QBR tries to include "clutch", which..yeah. PFF grades are basically just as bad or worse since we know it's just random interns locked in a room with their eyes taped open

EPA is just straight up math based off historical scoring data. Whether you like it or not its way less hokey than the other two

I still don't know how EPA is calculated (like, actual formulas) and I don't know why using historical data for a stat invented over 50 years ago in a constantly changing sport is somehow more reputable than one that incorporates a modifier for performance in high leverage situations.

They're all dumb.

Chef Boyardeez Nuts
Sep 9, 2011

The more you kick against the pricks, the more you suffer.
I think the bigger problem was his Xual assaulting people.

MikeCrotch
Nov 5, 2011

more like BOLLOCKnese

Chef Boyardeez Nuts posted:

I think the bigger problem was his Xual assaulting people.

It's quite impressive how he managed to combine being a total piece of poo poo with also being pretty terrible at his job

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

fsif posted:

I still don't know how EPA is calculated (like, actual formulas) and I don't know why using historical data for a stat invented over 50 years ago in a constantly changing sport is somehow more reputable than one that incorporates a modifier for performance in high leverage situations.

If you wanna go through some code for EPA https://www.nflfastr.com/reference/calculate_expected_points.html

Anyway I'm sure you've gotten the gist but the idea that not all yards are created equally and gaining 10 yards on 3rd and 12 doesn't actually help all that much. I don't know, there's a lot of thought that has gone into it, it does seem better than passer rating to me. Also passer rating is not QBR, which I think does include EPA in there but QBR is not an open formula last I knew?

e: not arguing that maybe all of these are dumb, but things have changed over time.

fsif
Jul 18, 2003

Okay fair enough, I thought EPA was proprietary.

Diva Cupcake
Aug 15, 2005

The main site to chart out EPA/play and CPOE now includes ability to filter out "garbage time" stats, which I think is the whole idea behind QBR's "clutch" factor.

This allows you to define garbage time as a win probability outside a percentage window, i.e. set it to 5 if you only want stats with win probabilities between 5-95%.

https://rbsdm.com/stats/stats/

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat

Nodoze posted:

Miss u Darius

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR

Nodoze posted:

Yeah I strongly disagree that he knew his Xs and Os.

Nodoze
Aug 17, 2006

MJeff posted:

Yeah. He might know them but it certainly does not show on the field

MikeCrotch
Nov 5, 2011

more like BOLLOCKnese

C-Euro posted:

Miss u Darius

ozymandius1024
Mar 15, 2006

You don't yank on the Spine of God

MJeff posted:

He knows plenty about nonconsensual hugs and kisses

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

Belichick was on Brady’s podcast and apparently it was really great hearing him talk about his experience coaching Tom. This excerpt got me hooked.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

Henrik Zetterberg posted:

Is this a shot across the bow of Ja Morant?

Definitely.