Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ybrik
Jan 1, 2008

As a ball main lmao :getin:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

leftist heap
Feb 28, 2013

Fun Shoe
Most of the changes seem fine to me.

Boogan
May 1, 2005

f off
Widow absolutely shat on, though. I guarantee that gets reverted.

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com

Boogan posted:

good and no

BabyRyoga
May 21, 2001

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

Boogan posted:

Doesn't really change anything. It's huge, and also nothing. The character that doesn't belong in the game at all still won't belong in the game and still ruin matches entirely by herself.

drewmoney
Mar 11, 2004
Ball being good shits on Widow more than the health change.

BabyRyoga
May 21, 2001

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

drewmoney posted:

Ball being good shits on Widow more than the health change.

Ball was already good, though. His problems are contingent on the fact that everyone who plays OW isn't part of some kind of giant Borg hivemind.

headcase
Sep 28, 2001

I need rein to get more than that. Just give me something to put Orisa down.

Tuxedo Gin
May 21, 2003

Classy.

Valentin posted:

it's just another aspect of her character that doesn't quite fit. she's supposed to be fully japanese because she's nebulously related to the shimadas and their plotline and for better or for worse those dudes uhhh do not sound like that. and they could have written around that in a million ways (even just a "uhhh studied overseas") but they just don't really care to get that nuanced, so you get kiriko sounding like literally no one else who appears in her reveal trailer or background story. she sounds like all my Japanese cousins too but my cousins weren't raised in Japan, which is why they don't have Japanese accents (and can't double jump).

hey speaking of race in ow have they ever acknowledged pharah as mixed-race after they hastily added in a first nations dad to justify that one skin

Nobody ever complains about Lucio's lack of a thick accent event though he spent his life in Rio.

I actually have encountered people in Taiwan and Japan who sound like Kiriko even though they never visited America. They learned English from watching TV and movies. Talking to them triggered my "SoCal native" radar and I was shocked to learn they had never been abroad.

The real reason for Kiriko, though, is that her voice actress isn't playing Kiriko so much as she's just kind of being herself.

Scrub-Niggurath
Nov 27, 2007

Boogan posted:

What’re the breakpoints that kill her at 175hp instead of 200?

TenementFunster
Feb 20, 2003

The Cooler King

teagone posted:

Those are very boring skins. I think I will sit out this battle pass.
ONEPAAAAAAAAAANNNNNNNCCCCCCHHHHHHH

Tuxedo Gin posted:

Nobody ever complains about Lucio's lack of a thick accent event though he spent his life in Rio.

I actually have encountered people in Taiwan and Japan who sound like Kiriko even though they never visited America. They learned English from watching TV and movies. Talking to them triggered my "SoCal native" radar and I was shocked to learn they had never been abroad.

The real reason for Kiriko, though, is that her voice actress isn't playing Kiriko so much as she's just kind of being herself.
how are you guys still being weird about this

Tuxedo Gin
May 21, 2003

Classy.

TenementFunster posted:

how are you guys still being weird about this

Season 3 update is boring as gently caress, they aren't making any meaningful changes to fix the game, so there's nothing else to talk about.

widespread
Aug 5, 2013

I believe I am now no longer in the presence of nice people.

TenementFunster posted:

ONEPAAAAAAAAAANNNNNNNCCCCCCHHHHHHH

In exactly one month from now. Separate from the pass. And probably costs enough to make one re-think their like of OPM.

TenementFunster
Feb 20, 2003

The Cooler King

Tuxedo Gin posted:

Season 3 update is boring as gently caress, they aren't making any meaningful changes to fix the game, so there's nothing else to talk about.
i want a tatsumaki skin for d.va, but idk what they will make the meka. genii is genos, obviously, and hanzo is atomic samurai, but who gets to be Fubuki? widow? moria? sym?

also roadhog is pig god, naturally

Issaries
Sep 15, 2008

"At the end of the day
We are all human beings
My father once told me that
The world has no borders"

headcase posted:

I need rein to get more than that. Just give me something to put Orisa down.

We got 100hp firestrike, which means we can kill squishies with 2 firestrikes. :blastu:

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

It's very cool of blizzard to replace 3 viable tanks with another set of 3 viable tanks.
Looking forward to Tank mirrors every loving match.

Mega Comrade
Apr 22, 2004

Listen buddy, we all got problems!
Nah, only a fraction of people can play ball at all. So really its 2 viable tanks.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Mega Comrade posted:

Nah, only a fraction of people can play ball at all. So really its 2 viable tanks.

Good point.

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?

Boogan posted:

Yeah, the support changes look pretty decent. It'll be interesting to see how it shakes things up. I don't understand the Zenyatta buff at all though, I wonder what the motivation was behind that.

"Zenyatta isn't being played and he's not doing enough damage to justify being the damage support", if I had to guess.

Probably ignoring that he's a sitting duck, even more so with ball buffs.

BabyRyoga
May 21, 2001

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021
I've got a bunch of whacky ideas for support abilities that could be added to make each support more fun to play and add survivability

You know what would be awesome on Zen? If they added the ability for him to 'blink' and go invisible for 2 seconds on a 15 or 20 second CD. Not like Sombra; he just kinda slowly fades out over .5 seconds, stays gone for 1.5 seconds (wherein he can still charge/fire/orb etc), then reappears. It would be a nice ability when the genji or tracer dives you to be able to invis and cause a little confusion. Call it "One With Everything" or something. Also,, you can take damage during the 2 seconds but it doesn't cause you to fade back in.

Why don't they just remove the damage beam on Mercy and replace it with a beam that blocks 15% of incoming damage for 3 seconds on a 9 second cooldown, and builds a resource meter for her that has a number of bars. Hitting a target with melee while having bars knocks them back like a doomfist punch and does 70 damage + 30 potential wall damage, 2 bars can shoot a laser kinda like an instant firing mei icicle for 80 damage (no headshot), and 3 bars can create an AoE circle about the size of Ram's that slows and reduces healing to zero until you exit it.

Ana should have a rifle smack that melees an opponent for 20 damage and stuns them like a flashbang. It only hits melee range, and you can follow it up with a dart if you need to.

Lucio gets a super jump on 12 sec CD.

Make Brig's flail like 4 sec CD and give her back the ability to Flail Jump that she had when she first came in the game. Edit: I noticed this thing already has a 4 sec CD. Ok, make it have no CD.

I got nothing for Bap and Kiri so let's just say they both become more slippery. Kiri's teleport gets 2 sec shaved off the CD, and Bap no longer has to charge his jumps; you jump normally while not holding crouch and full height while holding crouch. Also, make his rising/falling speed like 33% faster so he isn't as vulnerable midair.

Finally, Moira can eat her orb charge to turn herself into the orb, that is, give her a damage aura that deals damage to close targets.

Which of these abilities sound reasonable, and which sound broken, thread? Also, don't steal my ideas OW devs. Or do. Make the game better.

BabyRyoga fucked around with this message at 13:15 on Feb 7, 2023

comedyblissoption
Mar 15, 2006

I think there's a tremendous design space for making supports a lot more flexible and fun to play so that you make queue times a non-issue even though they went with hard role queue. unfortunately, the devs are doing things like taking the easy way out and making mercy a lot less fluid [i.e. less fun] to play lol

just going back to how mercy shift worked in ow1 would've been better than w/e this is

Proven
Aug 8, 2007

Lurker
Someone should have linked the patch notes with the developer comments: https://us.forums.blizzard.com/en/overwatch/t/overwatch-2-retail-patch-notes-february-7-2023/781229

The “podcast” with Seagull felt candid. They went over and over about how player perception is different from what they see, and that while they had some overall philosophies their changes were for a number of (sometimes contradictory) reasons.

1. Reducing “feel bad”. Hog changes last patch were put into this bucket, and so was Mercy nerf.

2. Reducing one-shots from Tanks meant Reinhardt loses Earthshatter guarantee kill, but they increased stun time to compensate. Fire Strike being increased for one shot with Baptiste is something they want to try again since it’s a player combo.

3. Support tuning. They wanted to change Mercy’s passive and give her a slight rework in playstyle outside of just the Guardian Angel nerfs. Zen is hard for them to balance because he’s the no-mobility-all-damage and even adding 25 HP made him a near must pick for a while. (While Mercy is the all-mobility-no-damage support but will now have trouble even keeping up with Pharah around cover…). Ana nade was buffed to help against Hog and is being tuned down now that Hog is far away from meta. Brig ult-rework still planned for next season and it sounds like they’re planning to bring back the feel of Brig going into raid boss mode and being allowed to jump into the enemy team like she could in OW1.

4. Ball. They want to make Ball good. Even if it means turning his ult into a guaranteed kill against heroes with no mobility if used with slam. My opinion: he’s getting the Doomfist treatment and they’re going to look to nerf him back down hard if first 2 weeks are too scary.

And as someone who grew up nearly becoming the “I must go live in Japan, it’s sugoi!” type of weeb, I really like the new mythic skin. The other skins are fun but not as enticing compared to S2, but at the same time the S3 Mythic feels like there’s a bigger gap between this Mythic and it’s related theme skins.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

I want to know the reasoning behind nerfing Symmetra, a character that's been bottom 5 according to basically every pro player.

I bet it's "get hosed lmao".

Mega Comrade
Apr 22, 2004

Telling Symmetra players to get hosed is a policy I can get behind.

Tuxedo Gin
May 21, 2003

Classy.

Proven posted:

1. Reducing “feel bad”. Hog changes last patch were put into this bucket, and so was Mercy nerf.

And yet they still refuse to touch Soujorn after months of pros and top 500s begging for it.

SadisTech
Jun 26, 2013

Clem.
They don't balance for the ranks where Sojourn is a real problem. They balance for the ranks where Symmetra is a real problem. This is because they have to cater to the majority of the player base and the majority of the player base is in those ranks.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

SadisTech posted:

They don't balance for the ranks where Sojourn is a real problem. They balance for the ranks where Symmetra is a real problem. This is because they have to cater to the majority of the player base and the majority of the player base is in those ranks.

Then why does Overwatch League exists even? You can't have your cake and eat it too.

Mega Comrade
Apr 22, 2004

If you have an eSport but no one watches it, does it truly exist?

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2

SadisTech posted:

Wait is Symm a real problem in ANY rank?

Jack Trades posted:

I want to know the reasoning behind nerfing Symmetra, a character that's been bottom 5 according to basically every pro player.

At least the Symm nerf doesn't do much since her ult doesn't do much lol

Mega Comrade posted:

Telling Symmetra players to get hosed is a policy I can get behind.
Symm owns

https://i.imgur.com/JUSKgxG.mp4

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

F.D. Signifier posted:

Wait is Symm a real problem in ANY rank?
She has 60-65% winrate at Gold and below, because Symmetra is hard countered by left clicking on her and DPS are worthless in those ranks.

F.D. Signifier posted:

At least the Symm nerf doesn't do much since her ult doesn't do much lol
:negative:

I discovered not so long ago that using right-clicks on characters that aren't easy to track is way more effective.
Right-clicks have 50% more DPS than an uncharged beam and the hitbox on them is HUGE. You land two of those babies on a squishie and then poke them with the beam/melee/small rmb and they're dead.

Proven
Aug 8, 2007

Lurker

Jack Trades posted:

Based on Seagul and some other high level Symmetra players, she’s not actually that bad in high level ranked. Based on myself and many other Symmetra players, she gets ult ridiculously fast. She’s one of my best DPS characters right now and you can literally build ult and use it in every single fight that doesn’t end in 15 seconds.

Tuxedo Gin posted:

And yet they still refuse to touch Soujorn after months of pros and top 500s begging for it.

They showed stats of Master+ on stream for Roadhog, Kiriko, and Sojourn. All three had their pick rates and win rates go down throughout latter-half of January to a noticeable degree, Roadhog more than others.

headcase
Sep 28, 2001

Soldier change could be a game changer in the right hands.

toadee
Aug 16, 2003

North American Turtle Boy Love Association

Jack Trades posted:

Im certainly not good enough to have an opinion but on most of the tier lists Ive seen from content creators, including former OWL players and people contending for rank #1 spots on ladder, Sym was rated around C to B tier last season with some even ticking her up into A tier. An actual universally panned hero would be Sombra. Like literally everyone put her lowest F tier flat bottom you cannot possibly do worse than this tier.

Cpt_Obvious
Jun 18, 2007

The DMG reduction to shatter hits is so silly. If someone takes 170 damage and 2.75 seconds of stun to the face, he's loving dead anyway especially because the rein has to be in melee range to do it.

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2

Jack Trades posted:

She has 60-65% winrate at Gold and below, because Symmetra is hard countered by left clicking on her and DPS are worthless in those ranks.
Oh wow that is actually pretty good. I'm surprised because as much as I love to play her, I almost never see another Symm. Whereas you see a Sojourn in almost every match.

Jack Trades posted:

I discovered not so long ago that using right-clicks on characters that aren't easy to track is way more effective.
Right-clicks have 50% more DPS than an uncharged beam and the hitbox on them is HUGE. You land two of those babies on a squishie and then poke them with the beam/melee/small rmb and they're dead.
Oh yeah her charged right clicks are great, slow but they hit like a truck, and with the hitbox of a truck too as you mention. But if I could land right clicks on a blinking Tracer then she wouldn't have killed me and I wouldn't have been able to send her back to her home planet after my death, now would I?

toadee posted:

Im certainly not good enough to have an opinion but on most of the tier lists Ive seen from content creators, including former OWL players and people contending for rank #1 spots on ladder, Sym was rated around C to B tier last season with some even ticking her up into A tier. An actual universally panned hero would be Sombra. Like literally everyone put her lowest F tier flat bottom you cannot possibly do worse than this tier.
Yeah poor Sombra got nerfed from basically the best character (can stealth hack and delete any dps and some tanks, impossible to kill) to the worst.

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Utility is seven-eighths Proximity.

Jack Trades posted:

Then why does Overwatch League exists even? You can't have your cake and eat it too.

OWL definitely shouldn't exist

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

F.D. Signifier posted:

Oh wow that is actually pretty good. I'm surprised because as much as I love to play her, I almost never see another Symm. Whereas you see a Sojourn in almost every match.

That's partially why she got such a winrate. Nobody plays her so nobody (at lower ranks) knows what to do against her.

Proven
Aug 8, 2007

Lurker

Cpt_Obvious posted:

The DMG reduction to shatter hits is so silly. If someone takes 170 damage and 2.75 seconds of stun to the face, he's loving dead anyway especially because the rein has to be in melee range to do it.

It’s a chance for Suzu, Nano, etc.

Also, this is from pages ago but since I didn’t check the forum all of yesterday:

comedyblissoption posted:

the first 2 examples spilo gave in that video are where his teammates popped off and gave his team a huge advantage or evened the fight and then spilo immediately fed and threw it away with poor decision making

I wonder if there's a good one or two word callout for a healer not focusing attention on supporting the main tank b/c they're trying to make a play elsewhere

First case, Kiriko got the picks, but then responded to Spilo’s mistake wrong. She either needed to teleport and Suzu and then ult, or continue to take out backline and let Spilo die. Spill’s mistake cascaded with Kiriko’s mistake and even Torb into a lost fight.

Second case, it’s 4v3 or 5v3, so if any of the 3 die before respawns come with the cart so close to point, then it’s a lost fight. If the Kiriko or Mercy had died first instead then it’s the same outcome. But that’s the one case where everyone had to play perfectly to win the fight instead of playing averagely until someone else win’s the fight for them. That said, yeah, you can make the argument that he could have played average and left it to his Kiriko to win the fight with enough patience, but they went into that fight in a disadvantage.

comedyblissoption
Mar 15, 2006

in the first 2 clips spilo pointed out his terrible cooldown usage, healer awareness, positioning, and usage of cover that combined led to him feeding like an idiot two times in a row and he's right

it's not a matter of his team loving up leading him into a situation that lost those fights. he was the most singlehandedly responsible individual for those two fights being lost when they were even or won.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

comedyblissoption
Mar 15, 2006

watching back the first clip, spilo had an eternity to get to cover and stabilize the 5v3 after his first mistake to run out into the open with no good cover rotation and almost die

in the second clip, spilo points out he completely wasted his spin and got basically zero value out of his fortify. he could've easily just used cover and positioning to get his wasted spin cooldown back and have more time for a team regroup before committing since there was plenty of time before the cart hit the end.