Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CharlestonJew
Jul 7, 2011

Illegal Hen

Veryslightlymad posted:

Me too. Has yours started doubling fools yet?

His speed gains never got quite that high sadly. He could double other generals but it never ended up being meaningful

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GiantRockFromSpace
Mar 1, 2019

Just Cram It

RME posted:

Triangle attack is a better resource to use. Serenes is pretty barebones these days (and fwiw I think it’s focus has definitely shifted more heavily to things like rom hacking on the forums over the years)

Yeah thanks... although the site does have inferred spoilers based on some of the skills, but at the very least they're extremely vague and I already ate a spoiler at Serenes so not really a complaint lol.

Also it's missing some DLC effects, Dragon gives a 20HP heal to Revival Blessing and 10% extra damage to 3H Arts and Houses Unite. And lmao Dragon does get most of the best bonuses save for things like Astra Storm and Bonded Shield. It does kinda compensate for Alear's class being just okay.

galagazombie
Oct 31, 2011

A silly little mouse!
Is it just me or are axe fighters just not worth it at all? No Defense, no accuracy, no speed , not enough power to make up for not doubling. But I’ve got nothing else that can use axes and the enemies feel like they’re half lances.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

galagazombie posted:

Is it just me or are axe fighters just not worth it at all? No Defense, no accuracy, no speed , not enough power to make up for not doubling. But I’ve got nothing else that can use axes and the enemies feel like they’re half lances.

Axe fighters have very good promotions.

You'll also get Jade if you don't have her already, who's an axe armor, and a lot of promoted melee classes have a version that use axes.

It's always worth getting a couple of people who can use axes on the team, but they seem to come online as a weapon type a bit later than swords and lances.

Veryslightlymad
Jun 3, 2007

I fight with
my brain
and with an
underlying
hatred of the
Erebonian
Noble Faction
I'd like all of Tiki's breath options in one place, while we're at it. I tried searching the site linked, but the search didn't seem to be working for me.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Axes are really good though I didn't really make much use of the Axe Fighter class itself. But later characters like Diamant, Panette, and Rosado can all do great work with axes. Panette especially, she's just perfectly set up for the Vantage + Wrath combo with Ike and a forged Killer Axe, she's my most reliable killer

Veryslightlymad
Jun 3, 2007

I fight with
my brain
and with an
underlying
hatred of the
Erebonian
Noble Faction

galagazombie posted:

Boucheron might seem like those things, but his dexterity and speed growths are both extremely good. And the classes themselves will give quite a boost to strength growth.

RME
Feb 20, 2012

Boucher on is just kind of shakey at best and hit rates in early game tend to suck so you really notice it on iron axe. Still he’ll put in some work just as your earliest access to backup attacks

Veryslightlymad
Jun 3, 2007

I fight with
my brain
and with an
underlying
hatred of the
Erebonian
Noble Faction
He's one of my better units in my "use everybody" run, having excellent speed and being the only person other than Louis and Alear to gain a decent amount of build. Just throwing tomahawks into guys, frequently twice, with 100% accuracy. Although, full disclosure, I engraved the tomahawk.

Edit
And his HP is enormous.

Gamerofthegame
Oct 28, 2010

Could at least flip one or two, maybe.
axe users are the most susceptible unit to being stat-hosed so they're extremely variable

panette is an axe user who's good across the board because she comes in late and thus has the stats. boucheron on maddening is solid enough, boucheron on hard lives a potentially cursed existence.

Captain Flame Guy
Mar 11, 2012

The Tiki breath stuff is listed under weapons because that's technically what they are, I guess.

Veryslightlymad
Jun 3, 2007

I fight with
my brain
and with an
underlying
hatred of the
Erebonian
Noble Faction
I haven't used Panette much since she's not up in the rotation, but I have to assume the main draw for her is that personal skill. I was less impressed with her stats, (other than strength! She is very strong) finding them "fine". Even with a variable party, in her starting/joining mission, she didn't feel "safe" to take enemy attacks. Merrin, however, felt like a demon.

That doesn't preclude her from becoming very, very good. Lots of people kind of suck on their introductory mission. Just not Merrin. Or Goldmary, holy hell.

Dr. Cool Aids
Jul 6, 2009
weaponized halitosis

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Veryslightlymad posted:

I haven't used Panette much since she's not up in the rotation, but I have to assume the main draw for her is that personal skill. I was less impressed with her stats, (other than strength! She is very strong) finding them "fine". Even with a variable party, in her starting/joining mission, she didn't feel "safe" to take enemy attacks. Merrin, however, felt like a demon.

That doesn't preclude her from becoming very, very good. Lots of people kind of suck on their introductory mission. Just not Merrin. Or Goldmary, holy hell.

Yeah I've found that a lot of units seem lackluster in their joining mission but as soon as I get a chance to give them an emblem ring and forge their weapon(s) they come online pretty much right away. Panette's no exception

My tip with Panette is to make her a Warrior ASAP because Berserker offers her nothing other than a better outfit. Warrior gets her better Dex and Spd, a much better class skill, and access to bows. Then you give her Ike, a Killer Axe, a Killer Bow, and enjoy watching her solo whole sections of maps

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

ASK ME ABOUT KISSING A GHOST
Panette is a bad fit for her intro mission when it's a FoW map and they have wyverns coming in from the top and mages lying in ambush if you venture too aggressively.

Also Berserker is a bad class in this game although that's more relevant when you start ramming into their terrible Dex cap

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
My best axe person, leaving aside Jade who's an armor and thus doing her own thing, has been Chloe. If you resist the temptation to make her a flying staffbot, my Chloe at least has been getting enough speed and strength as an axe/lance wyvern to handle axes and reliably double with them.

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!
Somebody call for an ant?

Veryslightlymad posted:

He's one of my better units in my "use everybody" run, having excellent speed and being the only person other than Louis and Alear to gain a decent amount of build. Just throwing tomahawks into guys, frequently twice, with 100% accuracy. Although, full disclosure, I engraved the tomahawk.

Edit
And his HP is enormous.

An early hand axe -> tomahawk+1 forge had my Bouche as the 1 shot opener for packs and kept him useful all the way through to the near end game so far. He's been one of the units I'd rate the highest on Maddening so far just because he's done so much with so little investment.

RME
Feb 20, 2012

To be clear nothing i mentioned is insurmountable and he enjoys some nicely distributed growth rates (a bit low on str but axes are high on mt and just hitting a few Bld growths let’s him use heavier ones. At worst he’s a forge target) and a good promotion set but don’t feel bad at just using him for early game chain attacks and benching either, plenty of good axe users down the line

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

I'm considering doing an "everybody must reclass" run just to do some weird class combos, with the following rules:
- Every unit I field has to Second Seal to another class at their earliest opportunity
- In the process of class changing, units must lose access to their initial and/or signature weapon type--that means Alear can't use swords, Panette can't use axes, Alcryst can't use bows, etc.
- Might also require units to change class type. For example, Louis can’t be an Armored unit, Chloé can’t fly, Yunaka can’t be covert, etc

I'm not too sure how I want to handle units who start with multiple weapon types. For example, does Framme have to never be a punch class, or does she also have to never be a staff class? Does Rosado have to change to a sword-locked, bow-locked, or magic class so he stays away from both axes and lances? Not too sure yet on that constraint.

The only issue I'm foreseeing is that this'll be a huge pain to do with money being kind of tight but there might be some way around that. If I play on an emulator I suppose I could just cheat myself in a pile of Second Seals just for the purpose of this run's gimmick or something.

Harrow fucked around with this message at 17:56 on Feb 7, 2023

Veryslightlymad
Jun 3, 2007

I fight with
my brain
and with an
underlying
hatred of the
Erebonian
Noble Faction

FoolyCharged posted:

An early hand axe -> tomahawk+1 forge had my Bouche as the 1 shot opener for packs and kept him useful all the way through to the near end game so far. He's been one of the units I'd rate the highest on Maddening so far just because he's done so much with so little investment.

I'm only playing on hard, but he's one of the most reliable units I have on either phase. It took him a couple of maps to come online, but, I mean, even for folks who use a bench, who else are you gonna use at that point in the game?

Harrow posted:

I'm considering doing an "everybody must reclass" run just to do some weird class combos, with the following rules:
- Every unit I field has to Second Seal to another class at their earliest opportunity
- In the process of class changing, units must lose access to their initial and/or signature weapon type--that means Alear can't use swords, Panette can't use axes, Alcryst can't use bows, etc.

I'm not too sure how I want to handle units who start with multiple weapon types. For example, does Framme have to never be a punch class, or does she also have to never be a staff class? Does Rosado have to change to a sword-locked, bow-locked, or magic class so he stays away from both axes and lances? Not too sure yet on that constraint.

The only issue I'm foreseeing is that this'll be a huge pain to do with money being kind of tight but there might be some way around that. If I play on an emulator I suppose I could just cheat myself in a pile of Second Seals just for the purpose of this run's gimmick or something.

Money will be a problem at first, but I think access to seals will be the real bottleneck in the mid game.

Would you be willing to try Jade as a mage knight for me, as a personal request? I came really close to running her that way, and only a fluke Great Aether on the map before I promoted her convinced me to keep her in a more conventionally tanky class and make her a great knight instead. I'm pretty underwhelmed with Jade as a tank, but as a potential RES tank and Anti Mage? That could go places. I'm curious to see how it works.

My second playthrough, I was planning on a set party, but randomizing which units and their goal class.

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon

GiantRockFromSpace posted:

Yeah thanks... although the site does have inferred spoilers based on some of the skills, but at the very least they're extremely vague and I already ate a spoiler at Serenes so not really a complaint lol.

Also it's missing some DLC effects, Dragon gives a 20HP heal to Revival Blessing and 10% extra damage to 3H Arts and Houses Unite. And lmao Dragon does get most of the best bonuses save for things like Astra Storm and Bonded Shield. It does kinda compensate for Alear's class being just okay.

Serenes actually does have a complete list, it's just under skills rather than anything to do with engages.

Note that it's a straight data dump, so it has similar inferrable spoilers and some dummied skills that may come back as DLC if that's a concern. The skills are all bunched together, so you can ctrl-f "Goddess Dance" to see all the class effects for that, as well as which other Byleth skills have class effects. It's safe enough if you just stick to the emblem about which you're curious.

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

I don't need friends! I've been
manipulatin' you since the start!
All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

I’m looking at the map for Sigurd’s paralogue, why are there so many high-level boss enemies?! A level 20 Sage with four health bars?! How are you supposed to avoid them?

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Blackbelt Bobman posted:

I’m looking at the map for Sigurd’s paralogue, why are there so many high-level boss enemies?! A level 20 Sage with four health bars?! How are you supposed to avoid them?
the sages in the corner dont move unless you g et into their range, you can completely ignore them if you want

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

Blackbelt Bobman posted:

A lot of the paralogues have them, they're optional and usually a bit out of the way. That dude for instance is pretty trivial to just go around.

They give some extra cash if you beat them.

Reik
Mar 8, 2004
They have money on them, though.

Veryslightlymad
Jun 3, 2007

I fight with
my brain
and with an
underlying
hatred of the
Erebonian
Noble Faction
There's something funny about wanting to beat someone up for their lunch money and being sad to find out that they're kinda swole.

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Wearer of Compasses. Slayer of Gods. Champion of the Colosseum. Heart of the Void.
Saviour of Hallownest.

Veryslightlymad posted:

Panette has monstrous strength and okay everything else.

It turns out that this is a near perfect statline because of Ike and Lyn.

Ike turns "okay" defenses into defenses that are near unbreakable even on Maddening. So EP Panette can eat a gigantic amount of poo poo and then fire back with a +40% crit Killer Axe because of wrath.

Lyn turns "okay" speed (19 as a berserker, 22 as a wyvern or 23 as a wolf) into godlike speed since she gives a total of +15. Which means that a player phase Panette is getting desperation doubles on very high crit and very high strength.

Since the girl joins on 1500 SP it's also super easy to just dump starsphere on her if you've got the DLC, give her Canter if you want that or just grab dual guard from Corrin so your EP Panette doesn't eat followups

Natural 20 fucked around with this message at 18:27 on Feb 7, 2023

Operant
Apr 1, 2010

LET THERE BE NO GENESIS
Lyn solves most problems in the game if you give them to an archer/covert unit by being able to snipe + bait out dudes from 20 tiles away.

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Wearer of Compasses. Slayer of Gods. Champion of the Colosseum. Heart of the Void.
Saviour of Hallownest.

Operant posted:

Lyn solves most problems in the game if you give them to an archer/covert unit by being able to snipe + bait out dudes from 20 tiles away.

The fun combo for that is sitting the Lyn engage next to Alear so that you have 1 damage per hit guaranteed.

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

Operant posted:

RME
Feb 20, 2012

I’m not sure if speedtaker is really as good as some other 2k cost skills but it sure is pretty fun to snowball a unit with it

Operant
Apr 1, 2010

LET THERE BE NO GENESIS
i'm playing on hard and quite frequently i will do some weird napkin math poo poo with +str byleth, alear adjacency, and strength tonics in order to power up the alcryst sniper rifle

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Veryslightlymad posted:

Would you be willing to try Jade as a mage knight for me, as a personal request? I came really close to running her that way, and only a fluke Great Aether on the map before I promoted her convinced me to keep her in a more conventionally tanky class and make her a great knight instead. I'm pretty underwhelmed with Jade as a tank, but as a potential RES tank and Anti Mage? That could go places. I'm curious to see how it works.

Yeah worth a shot! I'm probably not going to do it right away but I'll keep that min mind.

Blackbelt Bobman posted:

They're avoidable but they're also worth piles of EXP so I say fight them.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

SP gain is so slow that I don't spend it. It's "might have a better use later" syndrome.

CharlestonJew
Jul 7, 2011

Illegal Hen
Alacrity is the true OP Lyn skill on your squishier units

Veryslightlymad
Jun 3, 2007

I fight with
my brain
and with an
underlying
hatred of the
Erebonian
Noble Faction
The good thing about SP is that the progressive skills seem to discount themselves if you buy an early one. This makes buying a skill far less stressful.

In theory. In practice, I have bought three total skills.

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Saviour of Hallownest.

RME posted:

I’m not sure if speedtaker is really as good as some other 2k cost skills but it sure is pretty fun to snowball a unit with it

Speedtaker is worth it in conjunction with the rest of Lyn's kit but if you want speed on someone I'd be hard pressed not to suggest speed +5 over it.

inthesto
May 12, 2010

Pro is an amazing name!
At first I had choice paralysis with spending SP but now I'm chapter 20 my units are all functioning just fine with Leadership and not much else so why bother spending any more neural activity on it

Veryslightlymad
Jun 3, 2007

I fight with
my brain
and with an
underlying
hatred of the
Erebonian
Noble Faction

Natural 20 posted:

Speedtaker is worth it in conjunction with the rest of Lyn's kit but if you want speed on someone I'd be hard pressed not to suggest speed +5 over it.

Can you exceed caps with bought skills? What happens if you exceed a class's cap and change to another class with a lower cap?

At any rate, I generally agree that "half up front" for a mechanic you have to kill units in order to buff is a far better deal.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things
I just bought Starsphere for everyone and sort of threw something random on them besides that.

Alear got Canter, Louis got Hit +15, Lapis Avoid +10, Chloe Momentum etc.

Its been working out fine :shrug: