Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

F_Shit_Fitzgerald
Feb 2, 2017

Probably an unpopular opinion: I don't mind episodes like Captain's Holiday, and I think writing for Picard in the TNG era was a Kobayashi Maru. Fans wanted the captain to do more than sit on the bridge or brood in his Ready Room, but then objected to what they saw as "action hero Picard" in episodes like Starship Mine or some elements of First Contact.

F_Shit_Fitzgerald fucked around with this message at 01:50 on Feb 7, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Arivia posted:

I know it presaged the Picard you’re all hating on but I just watched “Starship Mine” last night and it kicked loving rear end. “Birthright” was good too, both parts.

Starship Mine is excellent, yes.

Birthright is terrible and one of TNG's worst two-parters. The only good part is Bashir being ultra-fascinated by Data.

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

jeeves posted:

I just love the story P-Stew once admitted years ago in some interview that he never paid attention to any of the "gobbledygook" of writing they had him say while filming, so he never understood any of the plots or stories of the episodes. It always seemed such gibberish to him, especially coming from a theatrical background of having an entire play in front of you to memorize at once.

So decades later when he would fly around on location for the shooting of the X-Men movies or such, he'd catch TNG episodes while flipping channels in his hotel suites and be amazed that "they were actually interesting stories, if you sat down and watched them!" ...Even though the point of his story is the attempt at comedy by saying the room service would catch him watching himself on TV.

In fairness, I'm sure at least part of this was just due to the absolutely insane production schedules these shows all had. The actors didn't get to experience each episode as a neat little package that's easy to digest and appreciate. Everything was shot out of order, of course, but things were often written out of order as well, with revised script pages sometimes arriving just minutes before the cameras rolled. And of course the story might end up changed significantly in final editing anyway. They were already working 18-hour days just to get everything shot and didn't always have the energy left to closely follow every story. (The writer, director and editor were there to handle that, after all.) They might make the effort if an episode featured them heavily, but if it's one where their only line was in the briefing room scene in Act 2? They'd just say their bit about the miners on the moon of Glorpus III or whatever the gently caress, and then gladly take the half-day off to actually get to see their spouse and kids for a change.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Timby posted:

Starship Mine is excellent, yes.

Birthright is terrible and one of TNG's worst two-parters. The only good part is Bashir being ultra-fascinated by Data.
Birthright is just a very confused episode. There's a lot going on and I just don't really care about either of the two main plots (the Data dream thing or the Worf going to look for Khitomer massacre survivors thing).

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.
Rewatching Voyager and got to the episode where they transport prisoners to be executed and Neelix is shocked to discover racism

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal
That’s also the one where the moral is “yeah turns out minorities are criminals”.

God what a piece of poo poo episode.

Ups_rail
Dec 8, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Big Mean Jerk posted:

The man is on record multiple times begging the TNG writers to let Picard do “more loving and fighting”. I genuinely don’t think he ever “got” the character and it’s been an absolute disaster giving him any say on the post-TNG projects.

There was like a 2 vol book series of like an oral history of star trek and it had some dude explaining the concept was the first officer does the action while the captain stay on the ship. The wise old captain giving support to his juniors makes sense.

better than that stupid diehard on the enterprise episode or that stupid indian jones poo poo

HD DAD posted:

That’s also the one where the moral is “yeah turns out minorities are criminals”.

God what a piece of poo poo episode.

Ah tom paris.

member when voyager fought nazi's

8one6
May 20, 2012

When in doubt, err on the side of Awesome!

wesleywillis posted:

A Klingon - ferengi mix would be sweet.
"I have acquired PROFIT WITH HONOR"

"Today IS a good day to DO BUSINESS"

Wee Bairns
Feb 10, 2004

Jack Tripper's wingman.

I think I saw that painted on a Tilt-a-Whirl. Or it should be.

Der Kyhe
Jun 25, 2008

Ups_rail posted:

There was like a 2 vol book series of like an oral history of star trek and it had some dude explaining the concept was the first officer does the action while the captain stay on the ship. The wise old captain giving support to his juniors makes sense.

F_Shit_Fitzgerald posted:

Probably an unpopular opinion: I don't mind episodes like Captain's Holiday, and I think writing for Picard in the TNG era was a Kobayashi Maru. Fans wanted the captain to do more than sit on the bridge or brood in his Ready Room, but then objected to what they saw as "action hero Picard" in episodes like Starship Mine or some elements of First Contact.

Not a fan request, a PatStew demand, according to oral history books. All of those "Picard is an action hero"-episodes were done to appease PatStew and make him stop moaning about lack of "fighting & loving", or threatening to quit. Patrick Stewart growing tired of being the "team dad" just waiting for his junior officers to call home from their awesome adventures famously lead to the situation where The Best of Both Worlds part 1 was filmed without knowing if PatStew would be coming back for season 4.

jeeves posted:

I just love the story P-Stew once admitted years ago in some interview that he never paid attention to any of the "gobbledygook" of writing they had him say while filming, so he never understood any of the plots or stories of the episodes.
I think the dig at "oh wow, this wasn't complete trash, amazing!" on the thing that MADE HIS CAREER and he's been continuing to milk for the rest of his life speaks volumes at what an excellent executive producer he must be.

I think its always sort of sad and pathetic when actors who are made big by one career-defining role then get all "I don't give a f**k about that character" or "I actually just hate the entire franchise". If you hate it so much, maybe stop milking it for money and do something else?

Someone said earlier in this thread that "the greatest threat to Captain Picard was always Patrick Stewart", that fits and for a reason.

Der Kyhe fucked around with this message at 11:23 on Feb 7, 2023

Prurient Squid
Jul 21, 2008

Tiddy cat Buddha improving your day.

jeeves posted:

Best of Both Worlds...

Big Mean Jerk posted:

“more loving and fighting”

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

F_Shit_Fitzgerald posted:

For one thing, I don't recall much fan demand for more Action Picard, but nevertheless, those action-oriented episodes work so well precisely because they're the exception to the rule of the typical setup. When you have 25 episodes a season of Captain Picard being a strong leader and dispensing wisdom on the bridge, you can have one episode of breaking the mold as a treat. When that becomes the mold, it breaks the entire characterization and becomes something else entirely, something lovely and overwrought.

V-Men
Aug 15, 2001

Don't it make your dick bust concrete to be in the same room with two noble, selfless public servants.
It's a wonderful treat into who he might have been and what he was like as a junior officer (after heart stabbing).

Mooseontheloose
May 13, 2003
I think Action Picard works in small doses too because it reminds the auidence that startfleet is still kinda badass underneath the high mindedness.

CPColin
Sep 9, 2003

Big ol' smile.

wesleywillis posted:

A Klingon - ferengi mix would be sweet.
"I have acquired PROFIT WITH HONOR"

"Today IS a good day to DO BUSINESS"

There is no honorable consumption under Capitalism.

bennyfactor
Nov 21, 2008

CPColin posted:

There is no honorable consumption under Capitalism.

Worf: This capitalist consumption is WITHOUT HONOR!

CPColin
Sep 9, 2003

Big ol' smile.

bennyfactor posted:

Worf: This capitalist consumption is WITHOUT HONOR!

On the other hand, today is a good day to buy. :gowron:

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

What if the synthesis of Klingon social technology and Ferengi economic innovation produces wolf warrior fighters for Kahless-Leninism?

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost

CPColin posted:

On the other hand, today is a good day to buy. :gowron:

Klingon-Ferengi Bird-o'-Preysalesman: These prices are so low, I have dishonored myself! My father burns with shame! My mother has taken her own life! CALL THE NUMBER AT THE BOTTOM OF YOUR SCREEN!! AAAAGH *cuts hand open and wipes blood on face as calm narration voice lists warranty information*

Prurient Squid
Jul 21, 2008

The customer demand for action Picard is my demand that I'm making now for roided up torqued picard who crushes the heads of his enemies in his hands.

e:

And he looks like this.

e:

And characters in the show itself call him Angry Picard. And the show is entitled Angry Picard.

Prurient Squid fucked around with this message at 17:38 on Feb 7, 2023

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.
I don’t mind Action Picard. Starship Mine, Gambit, even First Contact, they’re all perfectly fine stories for the character to show a different side than the pontificating diplomat. I just think it’s hilarious Stewart thought Picard needed to always be some cross between Riker and Worf and immediately tried to force it once he had a modicum of input in the writing.

Stewart should have had someone just write him a generic action vehicle in the 90s (insert First Contact joke here) just to get that poo poo out of his system. He probably would’ve been good at it, or at least better than someone like Seagal. Hell, Lance Henriksen made a whole career out of playing scummy action movie heroes and villains (check out Stone Cold, it’s fantastic) after Aliens and he and Stewart aren’t that dissimilar.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

Action Picard in TNG was fine since it was an occasional thing. Gotta mix it up when you're making 170 episodes of TV.

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.

Prurient Squid posted:

The customer demand for action Picard is my demand that I'm making now for roided up torqued picard who crushes the heads of his enemies in his hands.

e:

And he looks like this.

e:

And characters in the show itself call him Angry Picard. And the show is entitled Angry Picard.

Delsaber
Oct 1, 2013

This may or may not be correct.

Grand Fromage posted:

Action Picard in TNG was fine since it was an occasional thing. Gotta mix it up when you're making 170 episodes of TV.

Action Picard immediately knocking that Kenny Omega looking terrorist dude off his feet with a right hook when he portaled onto the bridge in High Ground was pretty great

Prurient Squid
Jul 21, 2008

Chefs kiss.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

Delsaber posted:

Action Picard immediately knocking that Kenny Omega looking terrorist dude off his feet with a right hook when he portaled onto the bridge in High Ground was pretty great

And Starship Mine rules. Seeing laced up diplomat occasionally whoop some rear end was a lot of fun. Emphasis on occasionally.

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"
https://twitter.com/swear_trek/status/1623016840942260239?s=46&t=HQWhCPlvgKz5bVNuZ4sMkQ

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"

Grand Fromage posted:

And Starship Mine rules. Seeing laced up diplomat occasionally whoop some rear end was a lot of fun. Emphasis on occasionally.

Picard also pulling the proverbial pin on the hijackers’ trilithium grenade and then watching their ship go kablooey was deluxe King poo poo Picard.

DoubleCakes
Jan 14, 2015

I don't know if I mentioned it but it was a good time seeing Garak return on "Cardassians". Garak brings out the best in Bashir and I'm not sure what his backstory is yet. He's clearly an outsider but he'd have to be part of the Cardassian empire at one point, I think.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
Taking the wormhole to the mirror universe where they made Garak instead of Picard

Alfred P. Pseudonym
May 29, 2006

And when you gaze long into an abyss, the abyss goes 8-8

DoubleCakes posted:

I don't know if I mentioned it but it was a good time seeing Garak return on "Cardassians". Garak brings out the best in Bashir and I'm not sure what his backstory is yet. He's clearly an outsider but he'd have to be part of the Cardassian empire at one point, I think.

I just watched that one the other day and yeah, Garak and Bashir are fun together. Bashir is kind of annoying the rest of the time imo.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Mooseontheloose posted:

I think Action Picard works in small doses too because it reminds the auidence that startfleet is still kinda badass underneath the high mindedness.

Literally the next episode after Starship Mine is Picard giving an order for his star scientist girlfriend to hold the line at the cost of her own life to evacuate civilians, and she and her team do it without qualm.

Knormal
Nov 11, 2001

Big Mean Jerk posted:

Stewart should have had someone just write him a generic action vehicle in the 90s (insert First Contact joke here) just to get that poo poo out of his system. He probably would’ve been good at it, or at least better than someone like Seagal. Hell, Lance Henriksen made a whole career out of playing scummy action movie heroes and villains (check out Stone Cold, it’s fantastic) after Aliens and he and Stewart aren’t that dissimilar.
The first post-TNG thing I saw Patrick Stewart in was this otherwise-forgettable cheap action movie where he plays a terrorist who takes over a prep school to ransom the kids, but then one kid does a Die Hard. He completely chews the scenery and seems to be having the time of his life. But then not long after that he got cast in X-Men and got firmly typecast as the wise old sci-fi grandpa across multiple franchises, so I'd imagine the low-budget action offers dried up, and no one's going to make a big-budget action movie with an older bald British man. It's a shame, because it is fun to see him in these roles, but I think a lot of that comes from the contrast of seeing him do more serious (well, "serious") work.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Cegk6G94FC8

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

Knormal posted:

The first post-TNG thing I saw Patrick Stewart in was this otherwise-forgettable cheap action movie where he plays a terrorist who takes over a prep school to ransom the kids, but then one kid does a Die Hard. He completely chews the scenery and seems to be having the time of his life.

That movie is loving awesome

What the hell, the genius hacker kid who Die Hards is Pete Campbell

Sash! fucked around with this message at 04:02 on Feb 8, 2023

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Knormal posted:

The first post-TNG thing I saw Patrick Stewart in was this otherwise-forgettable cheap action movie where he plays a terrorist who takes over a prep school to ransom the kids, but then one kid does a Die Hard. He completely chews the scenery and seems to be having the time of his life. But then not long after that he got cast in X-Men and got firmly typecast as the wise old sci-fi grandpa across multiple franchises, so I'd imagine the low-budget action offers dried up, and no one's going to make a big-budget action movie with an older bald British man. It's a shame, because it is fun to see him in these roles, but I think a lot of that comes from the contrast of seeing him do more serious (well, "serious") work.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Cegk6G94FC8

He tried like mad to get a Transmetropolitan movie or TV series made between the late 90s and late 00s because he wanted to play Spider Jerusalem more than anything else in his life and he couldn't seal the deal.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.
Well I'm almost done with my Voyager rewatch and have to decide on whether to actually watch Enterprise or TOS since I don't really watch them that often.

I'll probably end up watching TNG but I always consider going back and watching one of those series and end up not doing that.

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams
I sort of knew that Stewart demanded to be the action hero in the movies, but I hadn't really connected that to him being an executive producer on Picard and driving that. Which is so weird to me because he was a Shakespearean actor and so I just assumed that he was happy with and understood the stodgy intellectual role of Picard.

Everyone
Sep 6, 2019

by sebmojo

Sash! posted:

That movie is loving awesome

What the hell, the genius hacker kid who Die Hards is Pete Campbell

Stewart was also really good in Safe House

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

FISHMANPET posted:

Which is so weird to me because he was a Shakespearean actor

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YNcN5f3vwro

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PerniciousKnid
Sep 13, 2006

Knormal posted:

The first post-TNG thing I saw Patrick Stewart in was this otherwise-forgettable cheap action movie where he plays a terrorist who takes over a prep school to ransom the kids, but then one kid does a Die Hard. He completely chews the scenery and seems to be having the time of his life.

He was also in Conspiracy Theory that year with Gibson and Roberts, which I liked at the time. Not a bad year for ol' PStew.