Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

Soul Dentist posted:

Oh gently caress asked and answered immediately. Thanks!

No prob! I use this all the time because there’s always a random journal that my university can’t access etc

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

lightpole
Jun 4, 2004
I think that MBAs are useful, in case you are looking for an answer to the question of "Is lightpole a total fucking idiot".
Can also directly email the authors and ask, they should be more than happy to send it out.

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

We demand to be taken seriously

lightpole posted:

Can also directly email the authors and ask, they should be more than happy to send it out.

Oh yeah don’t they not get any money from the journals?

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

Hyrax Attack! posted:

Oh yeah don’t they not get any money from the journals?

I paid about $3500 for my last paper to be published. It came out of our government grant funds… I also peer review for the journals but that’s unpaid labor.

lightpole
Jun 4, 2004
I think that MBAs are useful, in case you are looking for an answer to the question of "Is lightpole a total fucking idiot".
No money, they need to be published for prestige/employment/advancement but citations are also important so they want their papers out there.

I put a shitload of work into my thesis and I would be happy if just one person read it out of interest. I dont see any reason most researchers would feel differently.

lightpole fucked around with this message at 00:35 on Feb 8, 2023

pmchem
Jan 22, 2010

lightpole posted:

this, 9 times out of 10 people will be happy to share if the they're still around and answering emails

LongDarkNight
Oct 25, 2010

It's like watching the collapse of Western civilization in fast forward.
Oven Wrangler
https://twitter.com/kadiagoba/status/1623058774494683138
:d2a:

Mr. Bad Guy
Jun 28, 2006
I know I'm late but frankly, I find the idea of a bug that thinks offensive.

Edit:

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

Can we lob a missile at her then?

ThisIsJohnWayne
Feb 23, 2007
Ooo! Look at me! NO DON'T LOOK AT ME!

No, but we can call her red commie scum and fellow traveler quisling

ThisIsJohnWayne fucked around with this message at 00:55 on Feb 8, 2023

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
SOME REALLY TEDIOUS DUMB SHIT THAT SUCKS ASS TO READ ->>

my kinda ape posted:

Almost certainly Marshal Prolapse

nah he way predates MP getting permabanned

E: didn't see this at the time \/

McNally posted:

So I've decided slurm should post somewhere that isn't this subforum. The whole "just asking questions, what is a war crime anyway?" schtick isn't landing.

cool and ty

Herstory Begins Now fucked around with this message at 01:26 on Feb 8, 2023

my kinda ape
Sep 15, 2008

Everything's gonna be A-OK
Oven Wrangler

Herstory Begins Now posted:

nah he way predates MP getting permabanned

His account was made 4 days after MP got a ban+30 day probe so I assumed. I don't have mod tools to check though so I will trust McNally's assessment.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

This is actually a decent stunt, and I cannot believe that MTG conceived of it on her own.

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
SOME REALLY TEDIOUS DUMB SHIT THAT SUCKS ASS TO READ ->>

my kinda ape posted:

His account was made 4 days after MP got a ban+30 day probe so I assumed. I don't have mod tools to check though so I will trust McNally's assessment.

almost positive they're different because he was definitely reported for alt-checks during that time (and indeed you can see alt check results in his rap sheet mentioning that he had had accounts banned from the d&d covid thread, which afaik MP never had any interactions with). if that account was evading a month probe it would've been hit after getting alt checked. who knows though, other mods were cagey about actually identifying him previously for some reason, even though he's been posting like this since day 1.

in any event, "I will trust McNally's assessment," yeah same

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur

Platystemon posted:

This is actually a decent stunt, and I cannot believe that MTG conceived of it on her own.

That just means an intern thought of it.

I will be watching cartoons during the SOTU.

Coasterphreak
May 29, 2007
I like cookies.
I will be watching literally anything that is not the SOTU.

Leave
Feb 7, 2012

Taking the term "Koopaling" to a whole new level since 2016.
So, is the State of the Union not important? I was pretty sure it wasn't when I was in 5th grade, and that's the last time I watched one.

Is it one of those PR things, or is actual, useful information given out? Or a mixture of the two?

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
The only reason I care about the State of the Union Address is that it’s interesting to see who the designated survivor is each year.

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur
It used to be much more important before the 24hr news cycle, but it's always been a bit of a brag fest for whoever is in charge. Not quite as much as now, however.

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May
I used to watch Bush’s SOTU because I was in my 20s and drank too much. I watched Obama because I enjoyed listening to the man give speeches. Now I don’t care.

TheWeedNumber
Apr 20, 2020

by sebmojo

Soul Dentist posted:

Hey speaking of which, what's the best way to see the occasional research paper if I'm not in school or a doctor? I always see briefs or summaries but I'd like to read the research for funsies. Without paying money

Sci-hub. Alternatively if you wanna talk to the authors, email them and ask for their poo poo. Personally I tactically acquire my research and email the author on the backend to cover my rear end if I actually use their poo poo. It’s been a great networking opportunity so far.

AreWeDrunkYet
Jul 8, 2006

Leave posted:

So, is the State of the Union not important? I was pretty sure it wasn't when I was in 5th grade, and that's the last time I watched one.

Is it one of those PR things, or is actual, useful information given out? Or a mixture of the two?

It's a combination of both. Usually the president lays out previously unknown policy priorities, so that's actual news. But it's surrounded by an hour or so of bragging and clapping. Skimming a transcript after is the way to go except for some comedy moments ("you lie!").

Coasterphreak
May 29, 2007
I like cookies.
Also, sometimes the president will ship tanks to the capitol and have thousands of troops standing at attention.

Nick Soapdish
Apr 27, 2008

Presidents should just go back to sending a document to Congress for the SOTU

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Nick Soapdish posted:

Presidents should just go back to sending a document to Congress for the SOTU

I would totally do this just to see the reaction.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

I had the SotU up but realized King of the Hill was on. Sorry, Joe.

pantslesswithwolves
Oct 28, 2008

Stultus Maximus posted:

I used to watch Bush’s SOTU because I was in my 20s and drank too much. I watched Obama because I enjoyed listening to the man give speeches. Now I don’t care.

Same. I think I watched part of Trump’s first one to see if he’d keel over and die, poo poo himself or declare war on Canada or some permutation of the three and turned it off in disappointment when he didn’t.

Tonight I’m watching the Expanse and playing with my dogs.

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

pantslesswithwolves posted:

Same. I think I watched part of Trump’s first one to see if he’d keel over and die, poo poo himself or declare war on Canada or some permutation of the three and turned it off in disappointment when he didn’t.

Tonight I’m watching the Expanse and playing with my dogs.

I didn't watch any of Trump's because the only thing worse than listening to him try and speak is listening to Sarah Palin.

Jimmy Smuts
Aug 8, 2000

Mr. Bad Guy posted:

I know I'm late but frankly, I find the idea of a bug that thinks offensive.
That guy was pure, distilled Fox news before Fox news was really a thing, what a prediction

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

Jimmy Smuts posted:

That guy was pure, distilled Fox news before Fox news was really a thing, what a prediction

Verhoeven should be remembered as one of the great names in film history and I will be sad if people forget him in thirty years

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

should have picked four fingers

soldaat van oranje is an insanely good film

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

another game at nationwide arena. everybody keeps asking me if they can fuck the cannon. buddy, they don't even let me fuck it

https://twitter.com/RonFilipkowski/status/1623044526091763712?t=2QUoA8GPAnE4s5xjY48Ycg&s=19

And we're off... :unsmigghh:

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Kazinsal posted:

Verhoeven should be remembered as one of the great names in film history and I will be sad if people forget him in thirty years

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

get his rear end Donnie

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

another game at nationwide arena. everybody keeps asking me if they can fuck the cannon. buddy, they don't even let me fuck it

Tiny Timbs posted:

get his rear end Donnie

Genuinely curious to see how Ron handles Trump. Does he try to be the "sane" one and let grandpa shake his cane while speaking civilly or roll around in the mud and we get the bloodbath to end all political bloodbaths in this country's history?

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

CBJSprague24 posted:

Genuinely curious to see how Ron handles Trump. Does he try to be the "sane" one and let grandpa shake his cane while speaking civilly or roll around in the mud and we get the bloodbath to end all political bloodbaths in this country's history?

He gets a Florida state chudge to sign a warrant and sends the Florida Highway Patrol to Mar-a-Lago to search the premises for evidence of child trafficking in the basement under the Italian restaurant.

Nick Soapdish
Apr 27, 2008

Good news everyone, Joe Brandon just said the State of the Union is strong

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Probably gonna regret saying this, but LET THEM FIGHT.

stealie72
Jan 10, 2007
I'm just shocked that they're using sanctimonious correctly.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Handsome Ralph
Sep 3, 2004

Oh boy, posting!
That's where I'm a Viking!

Vincent Van Goatse posted:

Probably gonna regret saying this, but LET THEM FIGHT.