Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What is the most powerful flying bug?
This poll is closed.
🦋 15 3.71%
🦇 115 28.47%
🪰 12 2.97%
🐦 67 16.58%
dragonfly 94 23.27%
🦟 14 3.47%
🐝 87 21.53%
Total: 404 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Prepare for my priapic projectile's exalted penetration
Nap Ghost

Hersh’s argument that Russia and the US are both lying to cover for the US is an interesting approach. Maybe Russia is colluding with the US to blame the UK. Two countries coming together against the royals.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mister Bates
Aug 4, 2010
in addition to all the other reasons people have already listed off, and many more which I could list, by the time the US formally involved itself in the Vietnam War the Vietnamese had racked up decades of more or less constant combat experience fighting exactly that kind of war and were arguably one of the finest militaries in the entire world at the time, and most importantly had extensive experience moving people, equipment, supplies, and information around the country quickly and efficiently

the Vietnamese held the initiative more or less from day one and maintained it for almost the entire war; when they fought, it was usually because they had decided to fight, in that place, at that time, and they fought until they decided not to fight anymore and then withdrew. during one year something like 80% of the ground engagements the US got into were initiated by the enemy.

they also had a deep well of genuine popular support, on both sides of the nominal border, that the Ukrainian government did not, and a coherent political ideology with concrete future goals they could offer those people

fanfic insert
Nov 4, 2009

Cerebral Bore posted:

the problem is that they do

the better approach would be: African-Americans, as a group, owned a lesser percentage of American wealth after 8 years of Obama's presidency, even though a larger percentage of them were employed.

Hatebag
Jun 17, 2008

mila kunis posted:

the war didn't start in 2022. the ukrainian military has been built up in the 8 years preceding with training and supplies probably superior to what the ussr gave to north vietnam

even if that isn't the case, the mud pit nazis seem to have clawed back a lot of territory and maintained a cohesive state in the face of the invasion. i just don't see how taking a couple of podunk villages a month is going to lead to ukrainian defeat.

The equipment supplied to north vietnam was at parity with the us invasion equipment instead of a promise* of a dozen tanks in a year.
Yeah, russia has been loving up and doing a real bad job at the whole invasion thing but they have an insurmountable advantage in equipment, ammunition, and troops so they'll just keep grinding down ukrainian positions and destroying the infrastructure that allows ukraine to fight back. Ukraine probably won't surrender or accept russian conquest of half their country so the russian goal will probably be to collapse the state. Eventually the us will cut and run or start ww3.

* Some restrictions apply

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

no way !!

Throatwarbler
Nov 17, 2008

by vyelkin
The whole "we can never actually cross in to north vietnam and win, because the Chinese have told us we can't do that, and you see what happened last time?" aspect of the Vietnam American war is completely memory holed lol

Throatwarbler
Nov 17, 2008

by vyelkin
In hind sight the cultural revolution Era Chinese army probably wasn't the powerhouse that people outside thought it was but still

Ardennes
May 12, 2002

Hatebag posted:

The equipment supplied to north vietnam was at parity with the us invasion equipment instead of a promise* of a dozen tanks in a year.
Yeah, russia has been loving up and doing a real bad job at the whole invasion thing but they have an insurmountable advantage in equipment, ammunition, and troops so they'll just keep grinding down ukrainian positions and destroying the infrastructure that allows ukraine to fight back. Ukraine probably won't surrender or accept russian conquest of half their country so the russian goal will probably be to collapse the state. Eventually the us will cut and run or start ww3.

* Some restrictions apply

I would argue that the initial invasion was a politically decided mess but as time has gone on there has been more method to what Russia has been doing, it just took until September for the Kremlin to really pull the trigger. However, I would say since that point it has made more and sense and it is hard to say they are doing such a poor job.

I think a lot of Western observers have been overconfident in assuming that the initial invasion was the full scale of Russian capabilities but as the war has gone on it has shown it clearly wasn’t.

OhFunny
Jun 26, 2013

EXTREMELY PISSED AT THE DNC

Hmm... Liveuamap is showing a Russian breakthrough west of Blahodatne that nearly reaches the northern highway.

I'm not seeing this reported anywhere else however, so they may be jumping the gun based on a statement by the Ukrainian General Staff saying there is fighting near Zaliznianske.

If not than Bakhmut has been brought under operational encirclement.

Turtle Sandbox
Dec 31, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

DancingShade posted:

"I prestige call of duty 10 times, you have no idea how elite I am."

Shooting at the groin means you hit the big artery in the legs, which will almost certainly kill you when you don't have immediate medical attention.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Throatwarbler posted:

In hind sight the cultural revolution Era Chinese army probably wasn't the powerhouse that people outside thought it was but still

The post-Cultural Revolution PLA on the other hand kicked Vietnam's rear end

crepeface
Nov 5, 2004

r*p*f*c*

Ardennes posted:

I would argue that the initial invasion was a politically decided mess but as time has gone on there has been more method to what Russia has been doing, it just took until September for the Kremlin to really pull the trigger. However, I would say since that point it has made more and sense and it is hard to say they are doing such a poor job.

I think a lot of Western observers have been overconfident in assuming that the initial invasion was the full scale of Russian capabilities but as the war has gone on it has shown it clearly wasn’t.

going slow into ukraine has had the effect of letting the west show its whole rear end, diplomatically speaking (with china/india and smaller players like iran and turkey). even japan is quietly telling euros to get hosed with their sanctions.

russia RUSHIN' in with everything they got may have triggered some kind of immediate conflict rather than the West drip feeding their materiel into the bear's mouth.

they also probably weren't sure exactly how well their economy would hold up against sanctions so i imagine there was a lot of trying to feel out their allies. i think everyone was surprised at how independent india ended up acting.

mila kunis
Jun 10, 2011

crepeface posted:

going slow into ukraine has had the effect of letting the west show its whole rear end, diplomatically speaking (with china/india and smaller players like iran and turkey). even japan is quietly telling euros to get hosed with their sanctions.

russia RUSHIN' in with everything they got may have triggered some kind of immediate conflict rather than the West drip feeding their materiel into the bear's mouth.

they also probably weren't sure exactly how well their economy would hold up against sanctions so i imagine there was a lot of trying to feel out their allies. i think everyone was surprised at how independent india ended up acting.

india has got 1 and half billion people and some pretty severe energy needs they can't afford to gently caress russia off.

Hatebag
Jun 17, 2008

Ardennes posted:

Oh yeah they started the whole thing with kid gloves but definitely started getting serious in the fall. they did lose kherson in November but that might have been part of a strategy to push ukraine west of the dnipro for negotiations. They still aren't fighting in total war mode levelling cities like in Chechnya though.

Throatwarbler
Nov 17, 2008

by vyelkin
https://twitter.com/rybar_en/status/1622984079133102080?t=yM1pzVBTSaP-nTZIU4rnNQ

crepeface
Nov 5, 2004

r*p*f*c*

mila kunis posted:

india has got 1 and half billion people and some pretty severe energy needs they can't afford to gently caress russia off.

yeah, but germany has energy needs too and it was getting some primo poo poo for cheap and they decided they were going to pay americans four times the price for it instead

Ardennes
May 12, 2002
I think a lot of Western journalists getting high on their own supply and thinking of course India would align with Western interests because it has its issues with China, but in reality India has since the 70s been much closer to Russia than the US and the amount of Soviet/Russian arms in their inventory speaks to that. Also, something similar can be said of Vietnam.

The US going all in against Russia not only forces China’s hand but also traditionally more Russian aligned states like India and Vietnam. In addition, not to mention much of the global south and Iran and possibly Turkey. Also, South Korea has been keeping its head down, and Japan may eventually join in.

I guess some US companies came out well…but it is also a good question how sustainable the current situation in Europe is because higher energy costs are going to only going to be costing them more in the long term and it doesn’t really seem they are in shape to promote state investment. It doesn’t seem sustainable in the mid/long term (also I don’t think serious rearmament is going to happen beyond perhaps Poland).

———

Also far as Kherson it seemed like a lost cause once the Ukrainians brought in blowing the dam, but at the same time it really didn’t seem they got much in terms of captured men and material.

Also that Rybar piece is kind of dumb tbh.

Ardennes has issued a correction as of 16:20 on Feb 8, 2023

Lord of Pie
Mar 2, 2007

euphronius posted:

Vietnam and Ukraine are very similar with respect to geography and topography so they may be right

while both have mud, one of them hosed up and disappeared the schoolteachers before one of them could turn into another Giap

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

mila kunis posted:

if vietnam didn't crumble and run out of manpower against a far more brutal and murderous invader, why would ukraine?

Let's go over the very brief period of time where the Peoples Army of Vietnam tried to do what Ukraine is doing now, Grab Their Belts to Fight Them: The Viet Cong's Big Unit-War Against the U.S., 1965-1966

United States Naval Institute posted:

“During 1965 and 1966,” wrote Dale Andrade, a historian at the U.S. Army Center of Military History, “the Communists fought the Americans toe to toe, making little effort to act like guerillas.” Indeed, despite pronounced disadvantages in firepower and mobility, the Communist Vietnamese endeavored to crush South Vietnam and expel the American military with a strategy predicated on “big unit” war. Orchestrated by a militant clique in Hanoi, the “big unit” war was designed to yield a quick and decisive victory over South Vietnam. Exploiting an extensive array of Communist Vietnamese sources, including seldom utilized unit histories and battle studies, Grab Them by Their Belts chronicles in rich detail the formation, development, and participation of the Viet Cong in the opening stanza of the Communist big unit war against the Americans, and how the ultimate failure of that war profoundly influenced the decision to launch the Tet Offensive.

Grab Them by their Belts, unlike much of the existing body English literature on the Vietnam War, mined the expansive Communist historiography on the conflict to craft an authentic and accurate account of the big unit war from a Communist perspective. Communist memoirs, unit histories, and battlefield studies were extensively consulted to reconstruct the formation and deployment of major VC/NVA military units, battles and campaigns, and the overarching strategic debates that informed the big unit war. Additionally, Grab Them by Their Belts recounts how the Communist big unit war reflected the desire to crush South Vietnam quickly and decisively, and how the failure of that war influenced the decision to launch the Tet Offensive.

Like an idiot I expensed this on iBooks so I can't copy text, please indulge me while someone gets my RQ for a hard copy or pdf.

First, the introduction is worth posting in full,

and there follows dozens of detailed case studies of large PAVN / VC formations getting absolutely mauled by the Americans. Defeating the ARVN, to be sure, but any time they tried to concentrate and fight the Americans, even if they demonstrated good tactics and leadership, eventually the Americans would pile so many fires on them that there was no way to proceed and they had to break off the engagement. It didn't matter that they were brave, if a firefight lasted more than about 30 minutes American fighter bombers would be in the air, Division and Corps Artillery (175mm and 203mm guns) would be firing, Airmobile or Armoured Cavalry forces would be en route.

Even when there was bad weather or something and they were able to win the firefight, they could never make good on that success because the Americans would use their superior mobility to pop smoke and get out of there by helicopter. The PAVN had no such luxury and so they had to fight like hell to get out of difficult situations. It was universally understood that staying in a fixed position against the Americans meant defeat. The PAVN leadership were intelligent, had a great understanding of tactics and operations, and so had no desire to get their men killed for no reason. Killed as part of the larger political struggle? Yes. Killed as part of the military struggle? Yes. But killed in futile military action for purely political effect? No.

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

1400 artillery rounds fired in an hour and a half,

Yes, the USMC took 300 casualties, but the PAVN Regiment lost its base area, hundreds of men, and instead of the planned operations in the province, had to spend the next few months reorganizing.

Hanoi, as I said cared about their Joes and saw that this was not winning the war.

When they went over results like an engagement where 130 Americans stopped 1200 PAVN soldiers, they knew that they would have to choose another approach to have popular support and political legitimacy. The goal, the "sales pitch", of the Communist Party was making people's lives better, that was understood to be incompatible with feeding them into a meat grinder.

Frosted Flake has issued a correction as of 16:31 on Feb 8, 2023

Hatebag
Jun 17, 2008

gradenko_2000 posted:

The post-Cultural Revolution PLA on the other hand kicked Vietnam's rear end

I don't know. They invaded a couple border cities taking heavy casualties against mostly militia forces, declared victory, and then ran away. Against the Vietnamese who were still recovering from 30 years of war. I don't think they would have won in a more protracted war. I don't think the soviets would've invaded china for vietnam's sake, though.
I think Deng Xiaoping betrayed the revolution though so maybe I'm prejudiced against anything he did

Ardennes
May 12, 2002

Hatebag posted:

I don't know. They invaded a couple border cities taking heavy casualties against mostly militia forces, declared victory, and then ran away. Against the Vietnamese who were still recovering from 30 years of war. I don't think they would have won in a more protracted war. I don't think the soviets would've invaded china for vietnam's sake, though.
I think Deng Xiaoping betrayed the revolution though so maybe I'm prejudiced against anything he did

I guess you got to pick the era, but during the mid-late 60s, the 50s era Soviet equipment the Chinese had was probably “good enough” while by the late 1970s a lot of Chinese equipment was showing its age even though they weren’t necessarily standing still (but slowly but surely falling behind). Obviously, there is a big flip in the 90s.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

man Asia is pretty big. it’s almost 650 miles by car between Moscow and Kiev

I thought they were closer

Hatebag
Jun 17, 2008

Ardennes posted:

I guess you got to pick the era, but during the mid-late 60s, the 50s era Soviet equipment the Chinese had was probably “good enough” while by the late 1970s a lot of Chinese equipment was showing its age even though they weren’t necessarily standing still (but slowly but surely falling behind). Obviously, there is a big flip in the 90s.

Hell, even in taiwan '58 their equipment was obsolete. The us put aim-9 sidewinders on taiwanese fighters and they obliterated the chinese jets 31:2 in defense of fascism

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

Would have been funnier if it was Poland.

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

Ardennes posted:

I would have to find the literature, but I read a very interesting piece about how that shift was a direct Result of Desert Storm scaring the hell out of the PLA and only recently has the PLA realized that actually much of what they had, at least doctrinally, was sound and that 1991 was a bit of a mirage.

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

quote:

Last June, the Navy divers, operating under the cover of a widely publicized mid-summer NATO exercise known as BALTOPS 22, planted the remotely triggered explosives that, three months later, destroyed three of the four Nord Stream pipelines, according to a source with direct knowledge of the operational planning.

When did Biden say that nordstream is never happening and we'll take care of it?

Ardennes
May 12, 2002

Hatebag posted:

Hell, even in taiwan '58 their equipment was obsolete. The us put aim-9 sidewinders on taiwanese fighters and they obliterated the chinese jets 31:2 in defense of fascism

Arguably 58 was still a transition era for the PLAAF, they actually were probably in better shape in the mid 1960s since the MIG 17/19 showed themselves to be capable against Western jets (although arguably they were still better armed). They were trying to reverse engineer the MiG 21 but it took until the early 1980s to get it right.

Basically, the Sino Soviet split had made things pretty uneven until the 90s. That said, the Chinese did a fair impressive job considering what they were up against.

Ardennes has issued a correction as of 17:17 on Feb 8, 2023

mila kunis
Jun 10, 2011
the russians are the biggest cucks in the world if there isn't retaliatory sabotage against american infrastructure

Starsfan
Sep 29, 2007

This is what happens when you disrespect Cam Neely

Lostconfused posted:

When did Biden say that nordstream is never happening and we'll take care of it?

It was like 2 or 3 weeks the Russian invasion in February of 2022.

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

Of course germany will take a different stance if the liquid nat gas ports used by americans get blown up despite nordstream being more efficient and cheaper

supersnowman
Oct 3, 2012

mila kunis posted:

the russians are the biggest cucks in the world if there isn't retaliatory sabotage against american infrastructure

The Russian are the biggest cuck if they don't escalate a potential nuclear conflict?

Cookie Cutter
Nov 29, 2020

Is there something else that's bothering you Mr. President?

mila kunis posted:

FSB planners looking at American infrastructure: "did we hit this already?"

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

mila kunis posted:

haha, russia, noooo... please don't blow up the keystone XL pipeline

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

There's no way for Russia to do as much damage to US infrastructure as USA is doing right now.

Cookie Cutter posted:

FSB planners looking at American infrastructure: "did we hit this already?"

Edit: Like yeah, is that derailed train full of chemicals taken care of yet?

Hatebag
Jun 17, 2008

Ardennes posted:

Arguably 58 was still a transition era for the PLAAF, they actually were probably in better shape in the mid 1960s since the MIG 17/19 showed themselves to be capable against Western jets (although arguably they were still better armed)z They were trying to reverse engineer the MiG 21 but it took until the early 1980s to get it right.

Basically, the Sino Soviet split had made things pretty uneven until the 90s. That said, the Chinese did a fair impressive job considering what they were up against.

Yeah, they were up against an insane empire with the most advanced weapons in the world and absolutely no morals. McNamara was willing to start nukin' if things went sideways in '58, so in hindsight it's probably for the best the pla didn't win that one

Ardennes
May 12, 2002

Lostconfused posted:

There's no way for Russia to do as much damage to US infrastructure as USA is doing right now.

Russia slowed America’s construction of rail to a crawl and then did all the hit and runs and potholes. Putin give us a break.

Hatebag
Jun 17, 2008

Lostconfused posted:

They set it on fire, problem solved

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

We've had like 5 large-scale domestic attacks on our power grid in just a few months

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Subvisual Haze
Nov 22, 2003

The building was on fire and it wasn't my fault.

mila kunis posted:

I honestly have no idea if the Freeport LNG terminal catching fire last June and being out of commission for almost a year was sabotage or accident. Same with all the food processing plants that keep catching on fire. Maybe someone is sabotaging our infrastructure, maybe we're too incompetent to maintain our infrastructure.