Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Carthag Tuek posted:

I regularly see 18th century priests write poo poo like 12te 9br for the 12th of November

Remember, remember
The five'te ninebrrrr

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

freeedr
Feb 21, 2005

Calendar

Deep Glove Bruno
Sep 4, 2015

yung swamp thang

Carthag Tuek posted:

I regularly see 18th century priests write poo poo like 12te 9br for the 12th of November

where are you seeing these priests? are they with you now?

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

Carthag Tuek posted:

Can I have access to your time machine? I promise not to kill Hitler, although I may sneak Schubert some antibiotics.

Which hand are your priests writing in? How hard was it for you to learn?

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

Arsenic Lupin posted:

Can I have access to your time machine? I promise not to kill Hitler, although I may sneak Schubert some antibiotics.

Which hand are your priests writing in? How hard was it for you to learn?

We call it Gothic cursive, it's basically the Danish variant of Kurrentschrift. It ranges from fairly easy to read to completely incomprehensible.

This is a Danish text from 1819 I've been transcribing recently:

Another from 1748:

And 1666:

So yeah, it depends heavily on the writer whether it'll be an easy read or not.

e: here's the date 21st of October written as 21de 8br:

Carthag Tuek has a new favorite as of 21:20 on Feb 7, 2023

Rust Martialis
May 8, 2007

At night, Bavovnyatko quietly comes to the occupiers’ bases, depots, airfields, oil refineries and other places full of flammable items and starts playing with fire there

oldpainless posted:

For you it was the day of the worst terrorist attack on American soil but for me it was Tuesday

More like Old Planeless

E: meh

Rust Martialis has a new favorite as of 22:02 on Feb 7, 2023

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Carthag Tuek posted:

We call it Gothic cursive, it's basically the Danish variant of Kurrentschrift. It ranges from fairly easy to read to completely incomprehensible.

Another from 1748:

And 1666:

Fine, I’ll do another play through of Pentiment.

Fish Appreciator
Nov 25, 2021

Carthag Tuek posted:

Another from 1748:

And 1666:

Bro, I'll take your word for it

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

Anybody lose their glasses?

indigi posted:

idc if firefighters loot that should be counted as part of their pay just make sure you take an extra person as the designated looter so the fire fighters can get busy rescuing people rather than casing the joint

StashAugustine posted:

-Crassus, c. 70 BC

Son of Rodney
Feb 22, 2006

ohmygodohmygodohmygod

Carthag Tuek posted:

Another from 1748:

And 1666:

K-kamelåså??

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

Son of Rodney posted:

K-kamelåså??

:hai: and things of that nature

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

Roosevelt posted:

my first dev job i was 22 years old and actually hired on as a "marketing assistant," doing spreadsheets and some design and just generally being an office grunt. because i knew a little bit of HTML, i was also going to be trained to help the "website guy" with day-to-day things. about a month into my job, that guy got fired, and so i became the "website guy," and inherited a horrible e-commerce platform that was so mangled that it couldn't be upgraded to a new version, along with a custom php app. this was a company that was doing millions of dollars in sales nationally, and they expected me to handle this poo poo.

it loving sucked. i was given a lot of leeway in terms of being able to hire consultants to fix the poo poo i couldn't, but most of the time i was trying to figure out badly written php and the impossible beesnest of proprietary ecommerce software templating. i had never even heard of version control, so every update happened in production. i mean maybe if i knew how to code it would have been a better job.

anyway that was my intro to programming and decades later it's still my only marketable skill

Deep Glove Bruno
Sep 4, 2015

yung swamp thang
Stephen A. Smith: See, to me that's preposterous. Danske sprogproblemer, things of this nature

Biplane
Jul 18, 2005

Deep Glove Bruno posted:

Stephen A. Smith: See, to me that's preposterous. Danske sprogproblemer, things of this nature

Lol

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Deep Glove Bruno posted:

Perfect. Two of my favorite tweets involve Stephen A (the other being the holocaust one)

Ichabod Sexbeast
Dec 5, 2011

Giving 'em the old razzle-dazzle

Flash Gordon Ramsay posted:

Perfect. Two of my favorite tweets involve Stephen A (the other being the holocaust one)

Flash Gordon Ramsay posted:

the holocaust one

:catstare:

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer

https://twitter.com/hegelbon/status/492741034749620224?s=46&t=GEHIW0MVH-dXTzaVuXUq6g

Rust Martialis
May 8, 2007

At night, Bavovnyatko quietly comes to the occupiers’ bases, depots, airfields, oil refineries and other places full of flammable items and starts playing with fire there

Carthag Tuek posted:

:hai: and things of that nature

kattekilling kølende kylling fra kølding

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

Son of Rodney posted:

K-kamelåså??

Not long ago I saw a Danish man I was working with, who was somehow offline enough not to have seen it before, being shown that video during lunch. The Dane did not laugh but simply nodded his head and said "Yes. This is true." in a very serious and solemn tone.

Then he started talking about how he had been watching a lot of old Danish movies and TV as research for a project and how shocked he was how (comparatively) clearly Danes spoke only a few decades ago.

FreudianSlippers has a new favorite as of 13:00 on Feb 9, 2023

Syd Midnight
Sep 23, 2005

From some Ukraine thread. I think this beats Hemingway's record.

Xlorp posted:

For sale: Army, never won

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

SyNack Sassimov posted:

It goes like this, the fourth, the fifth,
the forty-seventh annual gift,
the boomer king reciting birthday to ya

Lmao

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos

beep by grandpa posted:

discord should suck me off

kazil posted:

great, more microservices

EorayMel
May 30, 2015

WE GET IT. YOU LOVE GUN JESUS. Toujours des fusils Bullpup Français.
:commissar: No militantism. It's okay to have an opinion. To go on little "campaigns" every time someone mentions something you don't like is bad and you should feel bad. Did someone post about a car you don't like? Supress the urge to bring your throbbing cock of truth and logic crashing down on their flaccid little thread of lies. :commissar:

cranius posted:

Oh man, look at how you got me! Making funny posts on a comedy website about what is AI in a thread all about posting things that are AI. Verily, I have broken the most precious rules with my postings and shall be banned forthwith from thine kingdom of cars. Instead, maybe you should just learn to take a joke, Sensitive Sally?

(USER WAS BANNED FOR THIS POST)

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

mlmp08 posted:

that’s a really small tank

mlmp08 posted:

Ukraine getting 1:78 tanks

Inceltown
Aug 6, 2019

ArmZ posted:

triggered by a vegetable lmfao

Milo and POTUS posted:

It's terry schiavo all over again

Inceltown has a new favorite as of 02:20 on Feb 10, 2023

Cacafuego
Jul 22, 2007

:drat:

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

I really want to post goatse. Instead I only have these🍄.

Yowzerz

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Deep-fried cauliflower is really good and terrificly unhealthy. I often buy a bowl if I go to Kotipizza for a Berlusconi.

Zamboni Rodeo
Jul 19, 2007

NEVER play "Lady of Spain" AGAIN!

Shaman Tank Spec posted:

Lada is a Russian car brand, and they have been a common sight on Finnish roads for decades due to our proximity to and relationship with the Soviet Union and later Russia. They have always had the reputation for being utterly godawful, made from poor components with bad quality control. But they were cheap, so that's what a lot of Finns drove.

My big Lada memory is riding home with a friend and his mum back in the mid 80s. When we were going down a steep hill, my friend's mum noticed that a loose wheel was rolling past the car and for a moment we were amused and concerned. Then we realized it was a wheel from our car and it was less funny.

Pigsfeet on Rye posted:

It picked a fine time to leave you.

EorayMel
May 30, 2015

WE GET IT. YOU LOVE GUN JESUS. Toujours des fusils Bullpup Français.
:goonboot: Will this beautiful waitress in a foreign country bang me? :goonboot:

CornPick posted:

no you are fat and ugly please die

(USER WAS BANNED FOR THIS POST)

Pope Hilarius II
Nov 10, 2008

3D Megadoodoo posted:

Deep-fried cauliflower is really good and terrificly unhealthy. I often buy a bowl if I go to Kotipizza for a Berlusconi.

A what now? You have a meal or food item that's named after the former Italian PM?

Ornamental Dingbat
Feb 26, 2007

Isn't that the reindeer pizza?

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Pope Hilarius II posted:

A what now? You have a meal or food item that's named after the former Italian PM?

https://www.atlasobscura.com/foods/reindeer-pizza-berlusconi-finland

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

beluuskoninen is finnish for reindeer

BOOTY-ADE
Aug 30, 2006

BIG KOOL TELLIN' Y'ALL TO KEEP IT TIGHT

Carthag Tuek posted:

Another from 1748:

And 1666:

Man old handwriting styles were so cool & had such a pleasing aesthetic. I especially like how they’d start the first word of a paragraph with big, swooping artistic style, gives things more “personality” IMHO

Incelshok Na
Jul 2, 2020

by Hand Knit
Italian script weakens the eyes and is a fundamentally unserious script. Fraktur, on the other hand, is a real reading script. It is more compact so you can read faster and it does not cause nearsightedness. Also, despite popular imagination, the Nazis promoted the Italian script which is further proof of its fundamentally evil nature.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

Incelshok Na posted:

Italian script weakens the eyes and is a fundamentally unserious script. Fraktur, on the other hand, is a real reading script. It is more compact so you can read faster and it does not cause nearsightedness. Also, despite popular imagination, the Nazis promoted the Italian script which is further proof of its fundamentally evil nature.

It is true that the nazis promoted Italian letters, but it's weird considering their hankering for traditionalism. Possibly it was because they really are actually easier to read and so the need for Effektivität overruled the desire for Historismus. Consider especially the minuscule x-height letters (a,c,e,i,m,n,o,r,v,w); they are incredibly similar, basically only differing by how many up/down strokes and how deep they go. It's not unusual to see a word that is just this poo poo:

Anyway it's pretty funny because while the nazis were disassociating themselves from fraktur and gothic cursive, Denmark had over the years reasonably come to associate it with Germany, so after the war we made a whole slew of changes to Danish orthography to further ourselves from them (aside from "banning" farktur, we also stopped capitalizing Nouns). English actually capitalizes more than we do, what with months and languages and such.

und so weiter,

My handwriting is poo poo, but an 18th century German or Dane would be able to read that garbage

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

BOOTY-ADE posted:

Man old handwriting styles were so cool & had such a pleasing aesthetic. I especially like how they’d start the first word of a paragraph with big, swooping artistic style, gives things more “personality” IMHO

Check out this one, loving beautiful:
https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?noseen=1&threadid=3749916&pagenumber=61&perpage=40&highlight=font#post465637276

90s Cringe Rock
Nov 29, 2006
:gay:
oh my loving god someone invent a time machine and make everyone have written in loving comic sans forever

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Syd Midnight posted:

From some Ukraine thread. I think this beats Hemingway's record.

Hemingway? Too verbose.

"For Sale: Baby"