Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Stoatbringer
Sep 15, 2004

naw, you love it you little ho-bot :roboluv:

'The Girl With All The Gifts' is a good cordyceps-zombie film.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Elden Lord Godfrey
Mar 4, 2022
I think the pre-production brainstorming of TLOU back before 2013 involved brainstorming non-viral organisms that could result in zombies, and in this process a concept artist drew a monster covered in fungi-like tumorous growths, that grew so large they extended into the environment, forming fleshy tumours that erupt from the walls and floors. The imagery was so strong that it became the basis of the entire game, everything afterwards was used to justify the concept.

In fact the imagery was so strong, that in TLOU2, you come across an environment that is inhabited long term by people, but even that place retains scars of past infections by the fungus. That was forcibly burnt out and restored for human habitation. It's a tiny patch of texture and normal mapping, but it was a wonderful worldbuilding detail that I hardly ever see mentioned.

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

Stoatbringer posted:

Ugh I hope they explain why everyone's listening to ultra Karen, Glenn Close

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"

flashy_mcflash posted:

"I mean, I'm NOT GONNA BE IGNORED, DAN!" :mad:

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

I don't get what makes her a Karen other than the fact she's a woman.

Bored As Fuck
Jan 1, 2006
Fun Shoe
Maybe the haircut? Idk

navyjack
Jul 15, 2006

stev posted:

It’s a riff on people being dumb about the evil doctor shooting lady last episode

Nameless Pete
May 8, 2007

Get a load of those...

stev posted:

Being a white woman.

Demon Of The Fall
May 1, 2004

Nap Ghost

nate fisher posted:

It is Melanie Lynskey and she has been around for almost 30 years now. Come on, you have seen Peter Jackson's Heavenly Creatures (she is the other girl, opposite Kate Winslet's)? She is great in Yellowjackets and season 1 of Castlerock. She has been in tons of other things, some I haven't seen (like 2 & Half Men and Coyote Ugly). I am not sure what to make of her character so far, but that is not because of the acting. They seem to be trying something different with this type of character and I am willing to wait until the next episode to judge. Dumpy? So you want a female that stepped out of a RE game? That dresses like she is going to a rave not the apocalypse? Come on.

sorry i've never seen of any of this. i hope she improves in the next episode!

deoju
Jul 11, 2004

All the pieces matter.
Nap Ghost

stev posted:

She's unreasonably demanding her desires be fulfilled to the detriment of everyone else. Pretty Karen-like imo.

Edit: I mean ordering two kids be hunted and killed while ignoring the monster in the basement that is clearly the bigger threat.

deoju fucked around with this message at 21:01 on Feb 8, 2023

AndrewP
Apr 21, 2010

Stoatbringer posted:

was the film good? I LOVED the book.

flashy_mcflash posted:

wtf Glenn Close owns

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

AndrewP posted:

was the film good? I LOVED the book.

wtf Glenn Close owns

I was joking, because people seemed to be like "why would anyone deign to take orders from this w...w...woman"

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

deoju posted:

She's unreasonably demanding her desires be fulfilled to the detriment of everyone else. Pretty Karen-like imo.

Edit: I mean ordering two kids be hunted and killed while ignoring the monster in the basement that is clearly the bigger threat.

Yep.

"Okay, this is bad, but the TRUE priority is killing a guy with a little kid who's completely on his own, without food, trapped in dilapidated city filled with people acting on orders to capture or kill him on sight, because I HATE HIM AND I WON'T DO ANYTHING FOR ANYONE UNTIL HE'S DEAD."

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

It's amazing what they can do with computers these days.

stev posted:

It's because right now she seems to be acting pretty rashly, and irrationally. She's hyper focused on capturing/killing a black man and his son, and killed a doctor for reasons only really known to her right now. Obviously something happened before the episode to get her this way, but we have no idea what this is. So this could all be a reasonable reaction, or it's her being a crazy cult leader attacking an innocent man. The show is definitely trying to get us to not like her after this episode.

Hobo Clown
Oct 16, 2012

Here it is, Baby.
Your killer track.

I'm probably forgetting a piece of dialogue but she definitely wants Henry dead? Or just wants to find him? We know Henry is on the run from her/them but we don't know why yet. If he's an estranged husband/lover and Sam is her son I could see why finding them before they starve or get killed is higher on her list than whatever is happening in that sealed off basement.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

Bird in a Blender posted:

It's because right now she seems to be acting pretty rashly, and irrationally. She's hyper focused on capturing/killing a black man and his son, and killed a doctor for reasons only really known to her right now. Obviously something happened before the episode to get her this way, but we have no idea what this is. So this could all be a reasonable reaction, or it's her being a crazy cult leader attacking an innocent man. The show is definitely trying to get us to not like her after this episode.

Also, we know she's rational enough to have asked if a doctor could save the guy that was mortally wounded - but evil enough that as soon as she heard "no, he's done for," she immediately went back into the detention wing and murked the doctor that delivered her. I didn't like how they cast and played "The Governor" in TWD and I don't like this character for reasons others have explained.

(Oh, and she wasn't wearing ear protection and fired a gun in an enclosed space with high potential for echo and ricochets :goonsay:)

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

The conversation with her security guy implies that Henry works for FEDRA, and they suspect Joel was a mercenary he hired to attack the city.

Morrow
Oct 31, 2010
Yeah, there's a lot of incomplete or false info.

No one knows that Bryan's group was operating on their own. Joel thinks the normal policy is to ambush strangers. Immortan Karen thinks Joel is an outsider who sought out Bryan's peaceful militia, and in her mind the only rational explanation is they're FEDRA reinforcements called by Henry, who occupies space rent free in her head.

zelah
Dec 1, 2004

Diabetes, you are not invited to my pizza party.
Y’all are being weird about women.

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

stev posted:

Hunting down two black males

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
How do you suppose that Henry and Sam found Joel and Ellie, anyway?

It’a a big, empty building in a big, empty city.

roomtone
Jul 1, 2021

by Fluffdaddy
they might've just had the same idea of seeking high ground, or were already hiding out in a nearby room/floor before joel and ellie arrived. or they could've been following them. plenty of plausible ways.

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice

Chamale posted:

The conversation with her security guy implies that Henry works for FEDRA, and they suspect Joel was a mercenary he hired to attack the city.

I didn’t get the impression Henry worked for FEDRA. He ratted her brother out to FEDRA.

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

We shall dive down through black abysses... and in that lair of the Deep Ones we shall dwell amidst wonder and glory forever.

Y’all are making a whole lot of assumptions about a character who clearly is in a very complicated situation, and a bunch of you have decided to fill that void with misogyny.

A talking coyote
Jan 14, 2020

Xiahou Dun posted:

Y’all are making a whole lot of assumptions about a character who clearly is in a very complicated situation, and a bunch of you have decided to fill that void with misogyny.

Real Karen rear end posting

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Demon Of The Fall posted:

sorry i've never seen of any of this. i hope she improves in the next episode!

Almost entirely unrelated to anything else being discussed, but Heavenly Creatures rules and is well worth watching.

Thundercracker
Jun 25, 2004

Proudly serving the Ruinous Powers since as a veteran of the long war.
College Slice

Phenotype posted:

Yeah, the first Tales from the Borderlands was great. I played the sequel a few weeks ago, and it's not TERRIBLE, but it's definitely not as good as the first. Stars a new cast of characters, one of whom I found entirely unlikable, and it almost entirely ignores the first game. It was kind of a fun Borderlands adventure, but the plot kinda falls apart halfway through, and the actual ending was unsatisfying. It changes based on your choices, but not in a way that makes sense in-universe, like "I was mean to the guard and so he decided not to help me." Instead, one of my characters died at the end apparbently because I was always mean to Octavio (who sucks). Note that Octavio had nothing to do with the death -- it was caused by a spaceship crash and even if I'd been super nice to him, he wouldn't have been able to do anything to prevent it. But it's a video game, so she just dies because the OctavioRelationship variable was too low.

Man, Octavio sucks.

To be fair Tales from Borderlands 1 was made by TellTale and good. TfB2 was made by Gearbox. The least funny developers in gaming even though they keep loving trying and trying God knows why.

Eiba
Jul 26, 2007

A talking coyote posted:

Real Karen rear end posting
I rolled my eyes when people first said "Karen" was a slur. But then people like you kept using it as a slur out of some sort of defensive spite and I had to admit the original accusation seems to have had some weight.

I think we can talk about someone traumatized into violence and tragic self destructive idiocy by personal and community tragedy beyond our comprehension without calling them an over entitled woman.

Honestly, she's not a really sympathetic character at this point, but 'Karen' is still a weird way to describe her, unless all women exerting authority fall into the same category for you.

A talking coyote
Jan 14, 2020

Eiba posted:

I rolled my eyes when people first said "Karen" was a slur. But then people like you kept using it as a slur out of some sort of defensive spite and I had to admit the original accusation seems to have had some weight.

I think we can talk about someone traumatized into violence and tragic self destructive idiocy by personal and community tragedy beyond our comprehension without calling them an over entitled woman.

Honestly, she's not a really sympathetic character at this point, but 'Karen' is still a weird way to describe her, unless all women exerting authority fall into the same category for you.

A middle aged white woman calling on others to hunt down two black people is the definition of Karen rear end behavior I don’t know what to tell you. If you want to turn all words into slurs I’m not gonna stop you but it seems kind of dumb.

Eiba
Jul 26, 2007

A talking coyote posted:

A middle aged white woman calling on others to hunt down two black people is the definition of Karen rear end behavior I don’t know what to tell you. If you want to turn all words into slurs I’m not gonna stop you but it seems kind of dumb.
You're the one who started accusing people in this thread of "Real Karen rear end posting". If you don't want the word to be treated as a slur, but rather keep it as a useful descriptor of a particular type bad behavior, that doesn't seem like a great use of language.

Remy Marathe
Mar 15, 2007

_________===D ~ ~ _\____/

The defining feature of being a Karen isn't racism, but being an entitled suburbanite white woman with first world grievances and a poo poo enough education to have no perspective on her privilege. None of which was visible on this lady except shared race/gender. We don't even know she's racist, poo poo I didn't even know Henry was black. Goony rear end posting.

FLIPADELPHIA
Apr 27, 2007

Heavy Shit
Grimey Drawer

Xiahou Dun posted:

when you think a woman who shoots a prisoner in the head in cold blood is bad, it's misogyny

deoju
Jul 11, 2004

All the pieces matter.
Nap Ghost

Remy Marathe posted:

The defining feature of being a Karen isn't racism, but being an entitled suburbanite white woman with first world grievances and a poo poo enough education to have no perspective on her privilege. None of which was visible on this lady except shared race/gender. We don't even know she's racist, poo poo I didn't even know Henry was black. Goony rear end posting.

She literally reads a placard that states "You are entitled to food, clothes, medical attention, family visits and a lawyer" while she has a prisoner in a cell and ignores that to pursue her own personal interests, and ends by executing him.

quote:

suburbanite
If suburbs exist in this world they don't mean much, but she does live in relative safety behind armed guards

quote:

white woman
I assume we are in agreement here.

quote:

with first world grievances
First, Second, and Third World are terms that should have died decades ago, but I take you to mean "complaints that only exist when you already have the highest standard of living." KC has stores of food, shelter, vehicles, and until recently, a doctor. Sounds pretty good to me. Revenge is a luxury.

quote:

grievances and a poo poo enough education to have no perspective on her privilege.
"You were wronged" the doctor immediately agrees with her about her brother's murder. But she's hardly the only one who has suffered in the last 20 years, but doesn't seem to have that perspective. She also jumps to the conclusion that Henry is to blame for Joel and Ellie's arrival, with no evidence.

And there's some monter(s) bursting through the ground that she ignores looking for revenge.

I stand by my diagnosis; stage 4 Karenism, inoperable, terminal.

deoju fucked around with this message at 06:52 on Feb 9, 2023

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

We shall dive down through black abysses... and in that lair of the Deep Ones we shall dwell amidst wonder and glory forever.

The placard that she was pointing to by way of illustrating the inhumanity done to her brother by the people who made the sign. The group that the doctor was in or complicit with or something.

In your very first line of this post you tried to reframe the events so the woman was more wrong than she actually was. You just did a loving Breitbart on it without even thinking.

Hmmm yes. No misogyny here. I often lie to blame people I like too.

AndrewP
Apr 21, 2010

flashy_mcflash posted:

I was joking, because people seemed to be like "why would anyone deign to take orders from this w...w...woman"

oh sorry I skipped a lot of posts

That DICK!
Sep 28, 2010

I just assumed the sign was made pre thing yanno? Kind of a my how times done changed deal

That DICK!
Sep 28, 2010

That sign doesn’t jive with a post apocalypse group making it xiodan. Please don’t be a stupid rear end

deoju
Jul 11, 2004

All the pieces matter.
Nap Ghost

Xiahou Dun posted:

The placard that she was pointing to by way of illustrating the inhumanity done to her brother by the people who made the sign. The group that the doctor was in or complicit with or something.
The group the doctor confessed to when they held a gun to his head.

quote:

In your very first line of this post you tried to reframe the events so the woman was more wrong than she actually was.
Kathleen had a gun to his head, the doctor was chained to the floor. She was in control of the situation, and could have shown him the humanity her brother was denied. Instead she killed him when she knew he was of no more material use to her. Revenge was more important to her than anything resembling justice. She's a loving monster.

Edit: to be fair, every character in this show is awful in one way or another. Except for Frank, and maybe Ellie. And we don't yet know how and why she hurt anybody before.

deoju fucked around with this message at 08:21 on Feb 9, 2023

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

You sure do seem to know a lot of the inner workings of a character that’s had less than 50 lines of dialogue.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eiba
Jul 26, 2007

FLIPADELPHIA posted:

when you think a woman who shoots a prisoner in the head in cold blood is bad, it's misogyny
That's very clearly not what this discussion is about. The woman is indeed doing quite inarguably bad things.

That DICK! posted:

That sign doesn’t jive with a post apocalypse group making it xiodan. Please don’t be a stupid rear end
FEDRA clearly manufactured a lot of stuff after the apocalypse somehow. Or at least we've seen a lot of signage that seems to be set up for managing people in the QZs that seem to refer to how things were post-apocalpyse. Maybe FEDRA was just really well prepared for fascist "quarantine" camps.

And yeah, basic media literacy: FEDRA was running an authoritarian QZ like the one we saw in Boston. They killed the warlord woman's brother and she somehow lead a rebellion against the authoritarian leaders of the QZ, but is now dangerously unhinged as the result of the trauma of everything. It was their sign and she was rubbing it in that the doctor was complicit with that double-speaking authoritarian regime, presumably as someone comfortable who just wanted to keep their head down, but nevertheless ended up doing harm to the rebellion, which is now exacting its revenge.

That's just basically what's happening, just so we're all on the same page.

deoju posted:

She literally reads a placard that states "You are entitled to food, clothes, medical attention, family visits and a lawyer" while she has a prisoner in a cell and ignores that to pursue her own personal interests, and ends by executing him.

If suburbs exist in this world they don't mean much, but she does live in relative safety behind armed guards

I assume we are in agreement here.

First, Second, and Third World are terms that should have died decades ago, but I take you to mean "complaints that only exist when you already have the highest standard of living." KC has stores of food, shelter, vehicles, and until recently, a doctor. Sounds pretty good to me. Revenge is a luxury.

"You were wronged" the doctor immediately agrees with her about her brother's murder. But she's hardly the only one who has suffered in the last 20 years, but doesn't seem to have that perspective. She also jumps to the conclusion that Henry is to blame for Joel and Ellie's arrival, with no evidence.

And there's some monter(s) bursting through the ground that she ignores looking for revenge.

I stand by my diagnosis; stage 4 Karenism, inoperable, terminal.
This is just such a terrible read of the situation. Revenge is a luxury? She's clearly a desperate, traumatized person in a desperate, traumatized community, making bad decisions. She is, in the context of this episode, presented as a victim of authoritarian oppression who is taking excessive revenge on her oppressors and those she imagines to be aligned with them.

In her implied situation under FEDRA she was very materially oppressed and her relatives killed, presumably to maintain social order. So no, she was not privileged then.

And now she is the manager, so to speak. She's in charge. She doesn't just feel the system owes her due to her blind privilege, she actually took power with force of arms. I don't know of any definition of Karen where they are the authority. The insult is that they try to be authoritarian monsters by appealing to an authority that they think owes them, making them simultaneously reprehensible and pathetic.

This warlord is being reprehensible in a lot of ways. None of those ways make her meaningfully a "Karen" except the fact that she's being terrible while being a white woman.