Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CopywrightMMXI
Jun 1, 2011

One time a guy stole some downhill skis out of my jeep and I was so mad I punched a mailbox. I'm against crime, and I'm not ashamed to admit it.

Kvlt! posted:

Who was the first "monster" character in wrestling? Not like "he's huge he's a giant!", but rather the first supernatural character. I think the earliest I can think of is like El Santo fighting monsters but that was in movies afaik, who was the first to use a supernatural gimmick in ring?

I am trying to learn if Tor Johnson fits the bill. He was booked as an unstoppable juggernaut but I haven’t been able to find out if his gimmick was the he was inhuman or just if he was a big guy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

And the mercy seat is awaiting,
And I think my head is burning,
And in a way I'm yearning,
To be done with all this measuring of proof.
An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
And anyway I told the truth,
And I'm not afraid to die.

Kvlt! posted:

Who was the first "monster" character in wrestling? Not like "he's huge he's a giant!", but rather the first supernatural character. I think the earliest I can think of is like El Santo fighting monsters but that was in movies afaik, who was the first to use a supernatural gimmick in ring?

Ta-Gar Lord of the Volcano comes to mind but I doubt he was the first.

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

Brock! Oh, man, I'm sorry about your...

...tooth?

While not non-fiction, on the subject of books about wrestling, I highly recommend the recent comic series Do a Powerbomb. It's only seven issues and the collected trade will be coming out in a few weeks.

The basic plot is that this girl Lona Steelrose watched her mother die in a wrestling match due to a botched top-rope powerbomb. Ten years later, Lona's grown up and trying to get her foot in the door as a wrestler. This crazed retired supervillain guy from another reality recruits her for an inter-dimensional tag tournament where the winning team is allowed to resurrect a loved one. Lona guilts the luchador who accidentally killed her mother to be her partner and trainer and then poo poo gets weird.

Numero6
Oct 10, 2012

ここは地の果て 流されて俺
今日もさすらい 涙も涸れる
ブルーゲイル
Oh, there's a shoot vid by Dan Spivey about this match.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vdjKjhTdLas

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Gavok posted:

While not non-fiction, on the subject of books about wrestling, I highly recommend the recent comic series Do a Powerbomb. It's only seven issues and the collected trade will be coming out in a few weeks.

The basic plot is that this girl Lona Steelrose watched her mother die in a wrestling match due to a botched top-rope powerbomb. Ten years later, Lona's grown up and trying to get her foot in the door as a wrestler. This crazed retired supervillain guy from another reality recruits her for an inter-dimensional tag tournament where the winning team is allowed to resurrect a loved one. Lona guilts the luchador who accidentally killed her mother to be her partner and trainer and then poo poo gets weird.

I strongly second this. Story is good, art is *incredible*

Shard
Jul 30, 2005

Dawgstar posted:

If you want a wrestler demolishing a poor jobber for reasons unknown check this out:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0KmTdsLMyG0

I can only assume he either owed Koko money or perhaps made a very racist joke.

In the comments it says this

@noahbrudapast9974
2 years ago
Backstory goes like this...The Masked Patriot was being used an enhancement talent. Once he got to the studio...some of the boys recognized him from having worked outlaw shows within their territory...huge no no back in the day. Outlaw shows took away money from the terroritory and the boys pockets. Koko looked at the boys and said "I got this!"

Suplex Liberace
Jan 18, 2012

Answers Me posted:

I was being intentionally vague because I really don’t mind about the subject, was just keen to pick something up about wrestling that’s generally considered to be Good Writing. Thanks for the suggestions!

heres my favorites:
MOX, 1st jericho book, mad dogs midgets and pro wrestlers, Foleys books, death of wcw, and killing the business.

Those ones pop out in my brain as being most enjoyable. There used to be a book thread here years ago that had lots of suggestions. You can also check out ECW press, they publish so many wrestling books that no one has ever heard of or read.

CombineThresher
Apr 10, 2006

GIT R DONNE

Suplex Liberace posted:

heres my favorites:
MOX, 1st jericho book, mad dogs midgets and pro wrestlers, Foleys books, death of wcw, and killing the business.

Those ones pop out in my brain as being most enjoyable. There used to be a book thread here years ago that had lots of suggestions. You can also check out ECW press, they publish so many wrestling books that no one has ever heard of or read.

I'd like to add Sean Oliver's Kayfabe book to that list. It's more or less the history of Kayfabe Commentaries and the many frustrations of dealing with old school wrestlers. Sean is a pretentious goof who puts way too much importance on wearing suits (it comes up multiple times in the book, usually when he's dunking on indie promoters), but he's a decent writer and has some fun stories to share.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010
Book suggestions

Beer, Blood and Cornmeal, by Bob Calhoun. It's the best wrestling book I've ever read. Written by a guy who was a booker/manager/press agent/wrestler for the promotion Incredibly Strange Wrestling, it occasionally gets book reportish when explaining insider terms. But Bob became a full time professional writer afterwards and it shows.

Walking the Golden Mile, by William Regal

Probably the most honest book written by a wrestler. Has a couple hilarious stories and gives a bit of an education on how UK wrestling was before its huge fall in the late 80s.

The Unauthorized History of ECW, by Scott Williams

Probably the definitive book about ECW. I've heard WWE's authorized ECW book is crap, and this one has a ton of good stories and neither completely condemns or fellates Heyman.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
Was the cornmeal for monster makeup?

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

Halloween Jack posted:

Was the cornmeal for monster makeup?

No, they encouraged fans to throw tortillas in the ring during shows

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

The Mox book is great bc he doesnt waste time with "I was born in XYZ lemme give you 50 pages of my boring rear end childhood" he just gets right to the good stuff

Suleman
Sep 4, 2011

Answers Me posted:

What are the best wrestling books in terms of literary quality? Have any received acclaim beyond wrestling circles?

(More in terms of history, cultural studies etc, I should clarify - I’ve read plenty of [auto]biographies)

If you're interested in academic stuff, there's a collection of articles on pro wrestling.
It's pretty good stuff.

little munchkin
Aug 15, 2010

ncumbered_by_idgits posted:

Yikes, that’s pretty stiff. What did that man do to make those fellas angry?

Taking a move and then getting up before your opponent does is a big no-no.

Also they gave him a chance to walk away after loving up their match but he sticks around and says something to them.

little munchkin fucked around with this message at 17:20 on Feb 8, 2023

Defenestrategy
Oct 24, 2010

Kvlt! posted:

The Mox book is great bc he doesnt waste time with "I was born in XYZ lemme give you 50 pages of my boring rear end childhood" he just gets right to the good stuff

Agreeing with everyone on the above, but I wanna say youre missing out on alot if you read the book instead of listening to the audiobook version. The audio book feels like you and mox are just shooting the poo poo in the car while youre driving. It rules.

Kosmo Gallion
Sep 13, 2013
What were New Japan thinking with the Dominion 2009 poster? Whose idea was that thing?

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

Kosmo Gallion posted:

What were New Japan thinking with the Dominion 2009 poster? Whose idea was that thing?

I don't think they were thinking

Price Check
Oct 9, 2012

Answers Me posted:

What are the best wrestling books in terms of literary quality? Have any received acclaim beyond wrestling circles?

(More in terms of history, cultural studies etc, I should clarify - I’ve read plenty of [auto]biographies)

The Roland Barthes essay "The World of Wrestling" is probably the most high-brow thing you'll find on the subject.

Venomous
Nov 7, 2011

also, the Professional Wrestling Studies Association became a thing not long before the pandemic started, and they're doing some good work

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

The CBC Ideas radio show, which also is distributed as a podcast, did an episode this fall about pro wrestling, and it features some academics and thus offers some leads on other writing on the topic.

Suplex Liberace
Jan 18, 2012

Suleman posted:

If you're interested in academic stuff, there's a collection of articles on pro wrestling.
It's pretty good stuff.

woah hello there, thanks for this.

There is also a printed collection of some of Meltzers obituaries that you could track down. I lost mine in a move :(

Answers Me
Apr 24, 2012

Price Check posted:

The Roland Barthes essay "The World of Wrestling" is probably the most high-brow thing you'll find on the subject.

This was my starting point actually! I love it. Some really timeless descriptions of what wrestling is. Really makes me want to check out some stuff from the era he’s talking about too

Some excellent suggestions all around, enough to keep me going forever

Ganso Bomb
Oct 24, 2005

turn it all around

Shard posted:

In the comments it says this

@noahbrudapast9974
2 years ago
Backstory goes like this...The Masked Patriot was being used an enhancement talent. Once he got to the studio...some of the boys recognized him from having worked outlaw shows within their territory...huge no no back in the day. Outlaw shows took away money from the terroritory and the boys pockets. Koko looked at the boys and said "I got this!"

God, he knocked him the gently caress out on that clothesline. Scary to see it keep going after that.

The guy in the Skyscrapers match can ALMOST make the case that he was trying to bump and feed or something at first, but I think it becomes clear that's not what he's doing at all after a bit. I wonder what he thought the endgame was going to be there.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

Ganso Bomb posted:

God, he knocked him the gently caress out on that clothesline. Scary to see it keep going after that.

The guy in the Skyscrapers match can ALMOST make the case that he was trying to bump and feed or something at first, but I think it becomes clear that's not what he's doing at all after a bit. I wonder what he thought the endgame was going to be there.

I like that they gave the other guy a pass and didn't lump him in with his partner, other vets might not have been so kind

Mrenda
Mar 14, 2012

Answers Me posted:

This was my starting point actually! I love it. Some really timeless descriptions of what wrestling is. Really makes me want to check out some stuff from the era he’s talking about too

Some excellent suggestions all around, enough to keep me going forever

I read two pages and that's bollocks.

Edit: This is bollocks, to be precise. https://web.mit.edu/21l.432/www/readings/Barthes_WorldOfWrestling.pdf

Mrenda fucked around with this message at 19:12 on Feb 8, 2023

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
From what I could dig up, he was signed with the promise that he wouldn't just be a job guy, so he was doing it on purpose to piss off the management.

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

And the mercy seat is awaiting,
And I think my head is burning,
And in a way I'm yearning,
To be done with all this measuring of proof.
An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
And anyway I told the truth,
And I'm not afraid to die.
When I decide to shoot on management I too will do it against two seven foot tall men on roids. Might wash it down with a match of Rick Steiner and Kevin Sullivan.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Lid posted:

When I decide to shoot on management I too will do it against two seven foot tall men on roids. Might wash it down with a match of Rick Steiner and Kevin Sullivan.

It's been pointed out that amusingly even when seemingly angry all Sid can throw is worked punches. Spivey is a different story and still more than enough of a reason to take your bumps.

ncumbered_by_idgits
Sep 20, 2008

little munchkin posted:

Taking a move and then getting up before your opponent does is a big no-no.

Also they gave him a chance to walk away after loving up their match but he sticks around and says something to them.

Hmm. I guess I’m not very good at picking up on that stuff. Looks like they were hammering him from the get go to me.

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

Mrenda posted:

I read two pages and that's bollocks.

Edit: This is bollocks, to be precise. https://web.mit.edu/21l.432/www/readings/Barthes_WorldOfWrestling.pdf

Yeah if your idea of Good Writing is a bunch of purple prose then there is no wrestling book anyone could suggest that would satisfy, because lol.

Mrenda
Mar 14, 2012

History Comes Inside! posted:

Yeah if your idea of Good Writing is a bunch of purple prose then there is no wrestling book anyone could suggest that would satisfy, because lol.

the most contrived bollocks. it is the spectacle of excess. Nature is yesterdays musical interludes.

Bollocks, mate. This lad was phoning it in

Edit: "which must have been that" and "it is the drenching and vertical quality of the flood of light"

"Vertical quality of the flood of light" will you ever gently caress off with your paychequ

Mrenda fucked around with this message at 20:29 on Feb 8, 2023

Nea
Feb 28, 2014

Funny Little Guy Aficionado.
i mean, it's an academic text for academics. like this is a semotics guy writing about why he cares about wrestling to other semiotics guys, so he's doing it in the way they write about this stuff, and specifically the way they did that in the 1950s, when that essay was released. i don't know why that's worthy of mockery or whatever, it's just a different way of writing aimed at particular people in the same way i write a forum post different than i write an email to my boss.

little munchkin
Aug 15, 2010

ncumbered_by_idgits posted:

Hmm. I guess I’m not very good at picking up on that stuff. Looks like they were hammering him from the get go to me.

It's a pretty interesting clip to break down. 80's guys tended to be pretty rough on jobbers in general but it starts out normal. He takes a belly to belly early on and gets up immediately. Then an irish whip where he doesn't set himself up for a move at all, just crashes directly into Sid and they both fall over. Those two things are enough for Sid and Dan to realize something is up so they say if you're not gonna sell our fake stuff we're going to punch you for real. It's always on the back and not near the head though so I don't think they're trying to injure him yet, just sending a message. After some punches they try to have a normal match but the jobber keeps popping back up after every move. He lands real bad on the powerbomb at the end (maybe because he wasn't cooperating but more likely they deliberately dropped him on his hip). Once the match ends is when they start going after him with bad intent. For some reason Sid keeps alternating between trying to protect the jobber by throwing worked punches (to prevent Dan from getting in and throwing real ones) and saying gently caress it and genuinely trying to hurt him.

little munchkin fucked around with this message at 21:20 on Feb 8, 2023

Joey McChrist
Aug 8, 2005

Suplex Liberace posted:

woah hello there, thanks for this.

There is also a printed collection of some of Meltzers obituaries that you could track down. I lost mine in a move :(

Tributes. i found a copy at my local used book store about a year ago. its pretty solid, goes up until 2001-2002ish.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

Dawgstar posted:

It's been pointed out that amusingly even when seemingly angry all Sid can throw is worked punches. Spivey is a different story and still more than enough of a reason to take your bumps.

Made funnier by the fact that his worked punches are awful. There is a clip of him doing a run in in WWE and rearing back and throwing back the worst worked punch I've ever seen

I can appreciate not wanting to hurt a coworker... but maybe learn to chop well or something

disaster pastor
May 1, 2007

Dawgstar posted:

It's been pointed out that amusingly even when seemingly angry all Sid can throw is worked punches.

Well, there wasn't a squeegee available.

fez_machine
Nov 27, 2004

Answers Me posted:

Roland Barthes wrote an often quoted essay on Pro-wrestling in Mythologies

edit: okay everyone's been talking about so here's the examples of the type of wrestling he was watching (widely considered nowadays to be way ahead of its time)

it's important to remember he's writing about the 50s French wrestling boom though
https://twitter.com/AaronWrotkowski/status/1594889173852426240
https://twitter.com/secretwrestlin1/status/1270267250981965827

fez_machine fucked around with this message at 22:47 on Feb 8, 2023

Dr. Quarex
Apr 18, 2003

I'M A BIG DORK WHO POSTS TOO MUCH ABOUT CONVENTIONS LOOK AT THIS

TOVA TOVA TOVA
Never too old to learn about yet another thing from 70 years ago that would seem like a hilarious new idea if done today

O.K. someone colorize that and show it to Jim Cornette and say it is a new indie

karmicknight
Aug 21, 2011
AEW needs to get that weird french launch pad in for a match.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

Wonder if Sans Visage botched as often as Sin Cara.