Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Push El Burrito
May 9, 2006

Soiled Meat
The problem is the game rewards you for ranking up so if you want them sweet rewards you can't just play fun decks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

Bottom Liner posted:

That’s the problem though isn’t it? The game isn’t set up well for competitive play. They really need to add a casual queue and refine the ranked one.

But also you didn’t say you want to be competitive, you said you wanted to goof around.

I think the issue here is that a large chunk of the player base would just not play ranked since they would prefer not to engage with the cube system. It's just... not a good system. In addition to slanting toward a strong negativity bias, it also means that 90% of your games never see turn six resolve. Hell, above rank 80'ish, a good third of games end before turn four. A card game where finishing games is not commonplace is a weird concept that I don't think most people would opt into if they had any other choice.

Trucker Hat
Jul 25, 2021

Granstein posted:

The only game the featured location made a difference for me was one where the second location was lamentis. I also learned that if you silence one of the cards in your opening hand with zero, it for some reason remains silenced when your hand gets cloned which seems...incorrect? It worked out, since I wanted it silenced for a reason, but it I don't think it should work like that.

I ran into the Zero status staying on as well, does this mean a Zero'd Ebony Maw could get played after turn 3?

Bad Video Games
Sep 17, 2017

Push El Burrito posted:

The problem is the game rewards you for ranking up so if you want them sweet rewards you can't just play fun decks.

It's a hard balance to have fun and stay competitive, if being competitive is fun.

the_american_dream
Apr 12, 2008

GAHDAMN
A casual mode or making it to where you don’t drop a full rank or not not drop into the next 10 (60 to 59) would fix those things imo

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

HA! HA! NICE! WHAT A TOOL!
The ladder is fine casually, cubes are a consideration (as they're supposed to be by the game design) but they're not treated ultra seriously.

But it's a complete trap for the semi-serious 5% of dedicated players who would like to rank up every season and don't throw games in infinite. The system is designed to make it impossible for a lot of them the next month.

doingitwrong
Jul 27, 2013

Skippy McPants posted:

A card game where finishing games is not commonplace is a weird concept that I don't think most people would opt into if they had any other choice.

I think it's this. Jeff Hoogland posted a video where he said that more than 30% of his games were retreats (and then a bunch of his wins were the opponent retreating). We know that two of the best cube-winners have a below 50% win rate, which means it's more about ending the game and managing betting mechanics.

People like playing big turns. They love this so much that MTG created a name for them 'Timmy" and puts big cards in every set to appeal to them. "Johnny"s like pulling together weird combos. "Spike"s love competitive play. Wizards has written extensively about how they try to appeal to all three gamer types (and the people who are hybrid players).

Timmies and Johnnies often don't get to see their cool decks pay off with the current ladder mechanics. It's a game optimized around the tension and pay off of a number going up and down, which is geared for Spikes.

What's weird is that Ben talks and markets like a Timmy. He constantly exhorts the wild decks and crazy combos that we'll be able to play. But then he made a game that's about not doing that.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

It's not that simple. This game doesnt work without cubes because turn 1 losses to sakaar can't cost players the same as a turn 6 game. There are also a ton of bad patterns in card games that get removed by the snap system, like being forced to play out 97% losses. I don't think the cube system is some problem with snap and if it is an issue it is completely distinct from whats going on with internal MMR.

Keep in mind that being able to retreat for 1 is a giant boon for inconsistent exodia timmy decks.

Kaddish
Feb 7, 2002
I like the snapping, I think it brings a unique element to the game. I think it would be a lesser game without it or something like it.

I'm just not very good at it.

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

No Wave posted:

It's not that simple. This game doesnt work without cubes because turn 1 losses to sakaar can't cost players the same as a turn 6 game. There are also a ton of bad patterns in card games that get removed by the snap system, like being forced to play out 97% losses. I don't think the cube system is some problem with snap and if it is an issue it is completely distinct from whats going on with internal MMR.

Keep in mind that being able to retreat for 1 is a giant boon for inconsistent exodia timmy decks.

It's not, though. In other card games, the stake for dropping out on turn 1 or turn whatever is the same, so if your deck needs to fire by a certain turn and doesn't, you're free to leave. Only the snap mechanic, the fear of greater losses, create the pressure to exit the moment you're no longer favorable to win.

I get the idea of creating a system that disincentives playing out near certain losses in the hope of hitting an out, but I think snapping is a solution worse than the problem. It swings far too far in the direction, urging the player to fold anything below a ~25% chance to win without snap or a 40% chance with.

The Sean
Apr 17, 2005

Am I handsome now?

This time last week: "What the hell is MODOK for?"

Now: "MODOK every deck"

Kaddish
Feb 7, 2002

The Sean posted:

Obviously MODOK will die off a little but he's gonna be a discard staple going forward.

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

The Sean posted:

People like cool new cards. Which is another problem with the game, really. Imagine if the player base at large could actually get ahold of and use the new card they release every week, rather than siloing it off at the very tippy-top of progression where only a fraction of the population will have a chance to obtain it.

Kaddish
Feb 7, 2002

Skippy McPants posted:

People like cool new cards. Which is another problem with the game, really. Imagine if the player base at large could actually get ahold of and use the new card they release every week, rather than siloing it off at the very tippy-top of progression where only a fraction of the population will have a chance to obtain it.

They have to fix series 5/new card introductions outside of the season pass. In my opinion, it has to be a top priority concerning progression structure.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

MODOK is pretty loving good. That was the joke.

The Sean
Apr 17, 2005

Am I handsome now?

Kaddish posted:

Obviously MODOK will die off a little but he's gonna be a discard staple going forward.

Skippy McPants posted:

Yeah, I wasn't hating on it, just observing.

this:

No Wave posted:

MODOK is pretty loving good. That was the joke.

buffalo all day
Mar 13, 2019

Skippy McPants posted:

imo this is the game's biggest problem. four new cards dropped last month other than zabu: sauron, shadow king, dazzler, and shanna. I've seen one of them (sauron) more than once - and I've seen him maybe three times, because it's basically impossible to get new cards when they're released. and i played way too much last month, getting above 110 in the season pass. it's bizarre that they prevent 95-98% of the player base from even seeing the new cards they spend their time working on and balancing.

the_american_dream
Apr 12, 2008

GAHDAMN

The Sean posted:

This card is fun as hell. Glad to be wrong

The Sean
Apr 17, 2005

Am I handsome now?

the_american_dream posted:

This card is fun as hell. Glad to be wrong

Definitely. I'm losing hard to it today but it's been really fun to watch.

Kaddish
Feb 7, 2002
Sweet, I thought this would take longer. Didn't even need MODOK. I have no idea what kind of deck my opponent was playing.

Cattail Prophet
Apr 12, 2014

No Wave posted:

I think the argument here is that Timmys generally want to play out that big turn even if they lose afterwards, and the cube mechanic penalizes them for doing so.

Maybe the solution is to have an option to concede at whatever the current cube rate is, but still finish the match.

Kaddish
Feb 7, 2002

Cattail Prophet posted:

I think the argument here is that Timmys generally want to play out that big turn even if they lose afterwards, and the cube mechanic penalizes them for doing so.

Maybe the solution is to have an option to concede at whatever the current cube rate is, but still finish the match.

That's a really interesting idea.

Heroic Yoshimitsu
Jan 15, 2008

buffalo all day posted:

imo this is the game's biggest problem. four new cards dropped last month other than zabu: sauron, shadow king, dazzler, and shanna. I've seen one of them (sauron) more than once - and I've seen him maybe three times, because it's basically impossible to get new cards when they're released. and i played way too much last month, getting above 110 in the season pass. it's bizarre that they prevent 95-98% of the player base from even seeing the new cards they spend their time working on and balancing.

It’s really weird to me too. Like I get that for this game “collecting them all” is not a priority. But surely there’s a middle ground between that and “most people will never be able to play with the new cards we make”

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

buffalo all day posted:

And even for the top 5%, the price of new cards is so steep that almost nobody is willing to buy or experiment with them because they're so loving expensive. If we assume a somewhat generous 500 tokens from every four Collector’s Reserves, that's a new Series 5 card for every 48 Reserves. That's 576 character levels or roughly 28,800 credits per S5 card. Even at the best credit values, that is somewhere between $200-300 United States Dollars for a single Series 5 card in Marvel Snap.

At those rates, even the whales aren't going to bother unless the card is obviously OP as gently caress. So marginal stuff like Dazzler or Shanna might as well not even be in the game.

Hobo Clown
Oct 16, 2012

Here it is, Baby.
Your killer track.

How is "retreat later" supposed to work? I get a message up saying it's checking if the other player is retreating, and then a second later it says I've escaped and I lose a cube. Seems exactly the same as "retreat now" unless they happen to quit during that very small window where it's checking?

Kaddish
Feb 7, 2002

Skippy McPants posted:

And even for the top 5%, the price of new cards is so steep that almost nobody is willing to buy or experiment with them because they're so loving expensive. If we assume a somewhat generous 500 tokens from every four Collector’s Reserves, that's a new Series 5 card for every 48 Reserves. That's 576 character levels or roughly 28,800 credits per S5 card. Even at the best credit values, that is somewhere between $200-300 United States Dollars for a single Series 5 card in Marvel Snap.

At those rates, even the whales aren't going to bother unless the card is obviously OP as gently caress. So marginal stuff like Dazzler or Shanna might as well not even be in the game.

Might as well not be in the game for two months or so, you mean.

wyoak
Feb 14, 2005

a glass case of emotion

Fallen Rib
There's so much variance in the game between locations and the draw, and each game is so short, that it straight wouldn't be compelling for longer than a few hours without snapping. Retreating for 1 when you draw bad two locations and not getting your openers but then winning 8 the next game feels a whole lot better than just winning one and then losing one.

Obviously if you don't care about cubes, go ahead and play every game out, that's fine and good if you're having fun, but if that's the case why do you even care about the snapping mechanic when you can totally ignore it

Hobo Clown posted:

How is "retreat later" supposed to work? I get a message up saying it's checking if the other player is retreating, and then a second later it says I've escaped and I lose a cube. Seems exactly the same as "retreat now" unless they happen to quit during that very small window where it's checking?
If they also retreat when you pick retreat later, neither side loses cubes. When you lose a cube after picking retreat later it means they locked in their turn

Kaddish
Feb 7, 2002

Hobo Clown posted:

You are correct. It prevents losing cubes if they also retreat. I think, I never use it. Probably should.

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

Hobo Clown posted:

It delays your retreat until your opponent either retreats or locks in their turn. If you both retreat nobody loses a cube, if they lock their turn then you lose whatever you had staked.

It's most useful on turns 5 and 6 when the game is close, and you think you ought to retreat but aren't quite sure. There's a decent chance your opponent is thinking the same thing, so sometimes it'll save you some cubes. Also if they snap late and you think they might be bluffing, hoping to force a retreat.

Skippy McPants fucked around with this message at 18:25 on Feb 8, 2023

RevKrule
Jul 9, 2001

Thrilling the forums since 2001

Hobo Clown posted:

Retreat later is for if you think your opponent is going to retreat too. Basically the game checks if they hit end turn or retreat. If it's end turn you lose one cube. If it's also retreat, you lose zero.

Edit: threads moving fast today.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna

Kaddish posted:

You are correct. It prevents losing cubes if they also retreat. I think, I never use it. Probably should.

Yeah no reason to ever use the regular one (outside of a spider/absorb or similar guaranteed loss). Later can save you a fair amount of cubes at the expense of waiting for your opponent to lock in their turn.

parasyte
Aug 13, 2003

Nobody wants to die except the suicides. They're no fun.

Bottom Liner posted:

Yeah no reason to ever use the regular one (outside of a spider/absorb or similar guaranteed loss). Later can save you a fair amount of cubes at the expense of waiting for your opponent to lock in their turn.

This is one of those things where the right play in basically all circumstances is also one I basically won't make, because if I'm out I want out now and to start matchmaking. Not wait for 45 seconds for the opponent to decide they might lose too. e: I also really wish i could just skip animations, no i do not care about how many tens of points got added by whatever combo i lost to, i just want to leave and see another game. stop making me watch this!

Push El Burrito posted:

this, i'm not getting like $10 worth of progression every season because I've never gotten past rank 60 rewards. It's enough to want to set up an autoclicker near season end and do the stupid agatha deck thing to try tanking MMR and then make that run up to 100. Though starting from 10 is probably a little too hard.

Kaddish
Feb 7, 2002

parasyte posted:

This is one of those things where the right play in basically all circumstances is also one I basically won't make, because if I'm out I want out now and to start matchmaking. Not wait for 45 seconds for the opponent to decide they might lose too. e: I also really wish i could just skip animations, no i do not care about how many tens of points got added by whatever combo i lost to, i just want to leave and see another game. stop making me watch this!

this, i'm not getting like $10 worth of progression every season because I've never gotten past rank 60 rewards. It's enough to want to set up an autoclicker near season end and do the stupid agatha deck thing to try tanking MMR and then make that run up to 100. Though starting from 10 is probably a little too hard.

Oh I think the $10 pass is worth it without getting to infinite or whatever, as long as you get to 50 on the season track. I'm not sure if that's what you're saying.

"Worth" is relative to me, obviously, outside of the "value" of real money vs. in-game rewards, etc etc.

wyoak
Feb 14, 2005

a glass case of emotion

Fallen Rib
the rewards for cube rankings are pretty inconsequential, play fun decks

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

parasyte posted:

It is. No matter how hard you tank your MMR, it will have recovered again before you can gain 900 cubes. The system is basically set up so that anyone who didn't game CL to get to Infinite probably never will. The number of people you see saying they got to x9.y before getting hammered down only reinforces that idea. Last season I got to 68 with a week to go, and 68 is where I finished. I got to 69.x every day and every time I hit a brick wall of bullshit RNG and cheating bots. I'd play five or six games in a row with Surfer without ever drawing him in six turns, but as soon as I was crushed back down to 67-68 he'd begin showing up half the time by turn 3 as you'd expect.

Kaddish
Feb 7, 2002
Managed to put up some tasty numbers on this one. Thanks Mr. MODOK.

parasyte
Aug 13, 2003

Nobody wants to die except the suicides. They're no fun.

Kaddish posted:

Oh I think the $10 pass is worth it without getting to infinite or whatever, as long as you get to 50 on the season track. I'm not sure if that's what you're saying.

"Worth" is relative to me, obviously, outside of the "value" of real money vs. in-game rewards, etc etc.

I mean the 500 credits and 500 gold rewards at rank 70 and 90 respectively. It's progress I almost certainly won't get, because I didn't hit infinite and every season it dumps down 3 tiers without any MMR change.

SweetJahasus
Dec 23, 2005

Dragon Slayer
Samurai Warrior
Escape Artist
Viking
Chong-Ra Master

BE THE WIZARD
Can someone who is smarter than me explain how this omega red put 24 into other lanes? In no way does 4 being doubled, in any iteration, equal to 24. Why does this do 6x rather than 4x?

I feel like I should have won this, hence why I snapped.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

SweetJahasus posted:

Can someone who is smarter than me explain how this omega red put 24 into other lanes? In no way does 4 being doubled, in any iteration, equal to 24. Why does this do 6x rather than 4x?

I feel like I should have won this, hence why I snapped.

Onslaught and Mystique don't recursively double each other. So Onslaught doubles Mystique to 4x and doubles Red as normal, then Mystique adds another 4x to Red for a total of 6x.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hobo Clown
Oct 16, 2012

Here it is, Baby.
Your killer track.

Skippy McPants posted:

It delays your retreat until your opponent either retreats or locks in their turn. If you both retreat nobody loses a cube, if they lock their turn then you lose whatever you had staked.

It's most useful on turns 5 and 6 when the game is close, and you think you ought to retreat but aren't quite sure. There's a decent chance your opponent is thinking the same thing, so sometimes it'll save you some cubes. Also if they snap late and you think they might be bluffing, hoping to force a retreat.

That makes sense, thanks everyone. I usually only try it when it's T2 or T3 and we've gotten bad batch of unfun locations.