Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Who ya got?
This poll is closed.
Chiefs 42 41.18%
Eagles 60 58.82%
Total: 102 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!
We're past this and the 49ers were screwed no matter what, but I don't really get this argument. You can carry four or five active QBs if you want to as far as I know, you just have to not carry some special teams guys in exchange.

https://twitter.com/UpAndAdamsShow/status/1623370460712038400

I mean if you want to expand the roster size, cool, I'm good with that. But coaches will probably still only roster two QBs unless you force them to name a third. Also in the 49ers case presumably the imaginary third QB would have been someone worse than Josh Johnson, so...yeah.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fsif
Jul 18, 2003

Perhaps CMC should have taken his own role as QB3 more seriously.

Hot Diggity!
Apr 3, 2010

SKELITON_BRINGING_U_ON.GIF
Niners still whining huh

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
If you desperately need 4 QBs maybe you should look internally because QBs should not be dying like that

Nodoze
Aug 17, 2006

If it's only for a night I can live without you

ASAPRockySituation posted:

You think we care what other fans want? NFCE makes us immune to this or we wouldn’t get so many primetime games, pal

SNF should always be an NFCE team

Diqnol
May 10, 2010

Nodoze posted:

SNF should always be an NFCE team

Bless this post

Impossibly Perfect Sphere
Nov 6, 2002

They wasted Luanne on Lucky!

She could of have been so much more but the writers just didn't care!

Grittybeard posted:

We're past this and the 49ers were screwed no matter what, but I don't really get this argument. You can carry four or five active QBs if you want to as far as I know, you just have to not carry some special teams guys in exchange.

https://twitter.com/UpAndAdamsShow/status/1623370460712038400

I mean if you want to expand the roster size, cool, I'm good with that. But coaches will probably still only roster two QBs unless you force them to name a third. Also in the 49ers case presumably the imaginary third QB would have been someone worse than Josh Johnson, so...yeah.

that's really it.

QB3 is going to be so awful, what's the point?

shyduck
Oct 3, 2003

Yeah that game was over when Josh Johnson was shoved out there

Pimpcasso
Mar 13, 2002

VOLS BITCH
How many teams have been lucky enough to have two useable backups in a single season? Shut up cmc

Diva Cupcake
Aug 15, 2005

If you have four quarterbacks, you have no quarterback

Quiet Feet
Dec 14, 2009

THE HELL IS WITH THIS ASS!?

Impossibly Perfect Sphere posted:

that's really it.

It sucks for the 9ers but they'd still be on their 5th-string QB at that point. There are whole divisions that don't have 5 startable QBs.

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

Hot Diggity! posted:

Niners still whining huh

The only team eliminated from the playoffs that isn't still whining is Jacksonville

edit: and to be clear that's natural. The only reason I'm not whining when the Chiefs are eliminated is my coping mechanism is to quit sports cold turkey until march madness

Kawalimus
Jan 17, 2008

Better Living Through Birding And Pessimism

Impossibly Perfect Sphere posted:

that's really it.

You're saying this about a team that just almost went to a SB with a rookie QB3....who just barely even got drafted

CMC is 100% correct. Every team should be able to carry a 3rd QB.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

Kawalimus posted:

CMC is 100% correct. Every team should be able to carry a 3rd QB.

Again, they can if they want to unless you point me to some rule saying otherwise, the 49ers decided they'd rather have that bottom of the roster guy instead.

Which just about every coach in the league would.

Miss Lonelyhearts
Mar 22, 2003

Kawalimus posted:

I would bet 90% of the white players and coaches in the league are Trump/Republican supporters. John Harbaugh in 2016 was asked who he supported and was like "Yeah build the wall".

The Rooney's loved Obama immediately, donated a lot of money and helped him campaign in Pennsylvania in 2009.

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

kiimo posted:

The only team eliminated from the playoffs that isn't still whining is Jacksonville
I'm still pissed about the absolutely atrocious officiating in both Jacksonville playoff games but I have no reason to keep fretting about it.

fsif
Jul 18, 2003

What is the "third QB rule" exactly? Teams are allowed to still activate three quarterbacks on game day if they choose to, aren't they?

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

Doesn't hockey have an emergency goalie in each stadium?

Let the NFL have an emergency QB in each stadium. It wouldn't work very well but it would be funny.

bows1
May 16, 2004

Chill, whale, chill

kiimo posted:

edit: and to be clear that's natural. The only reason I'm not whining when the Chiefs are eliminated is my coping mechanism is to quit sports cold turkey until march madness

Bengals have moved on dont worry.

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

fsif posted:

What is the "third QB rule" exactly? Teams are allowed to still activate three quarterbacks on game day if they choose to, aren't they?

Yes, there used to be an old rule, dropped sometime in the last decade or so, that you were allowed a 3rd QB who wasn't on your active roster, who could come into the game, but if he did before the 4th quarter, your other QB's couldn't come back into the game.

Note that in this case we'd be talking about a dude worse then Josh Johnson, so farrrrrtttttt

Kawalimus
Jan 17, 2008

Grittybeard posted:

Again, they can if they want to unless you point me to some rule saying otherwise, the 49ers decided they'd rather have that bottom of the roster guy instead.

Which just about every coach in the league would.

Because it doesn't make any sense to in a specific game because it rarely comes to that. But teams don't because when you have limited roster spots it doesn't make sense to carry a 3rd but teams still need them. So they should just be allowed to carry three active QBs at all times. It's not a madden game where you can just insert a guy even if he's like a 47 QB and just run him the guy actually has to call signals and know those passing plays and crap. So that's why it's important.

Kawalimus
Jan 17, 2008

Kalli posted:

Note that in this case we'd be talking about a dude worse then Josh Johnson, so farrrrrtttttt

Is Brock Purdy worse than Jimmy Garoppolo and Trey Lance?

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

When asked which Pokemon he evolved into, Kamara pauses.

"Motherfucking, what's that big dragon shit? That orange motherfucker. Charizard."

fsif posted:

You used to be able to dress a 3rd QB and have them available to enter the game without counting against the 45 active player limit. It was basically a free slot for a QB, with some restrictions around how they could be used.

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

When asked which Pokemon he evolved into, Kamara pauses.

"Motherfucking, what's that big dragon shit? That orange motherfucker. Charizard."

Kawalimus posted:

If they had a guy available that was better than Josh Johnson why did they play Josh Johnson?

fsif
Jul 18, 2003

Kalli posted:

Yes, there used to be an old rule, dropped sometime in the last decade or so, that you were allowed a 3rd QB who wasn't on your active roster, who could come into the game, but if he did before the 4th quarter, your other QB's couldn't come back into the game.

Yeah I don't remember that at all, likely because it has never, ever affected the outcome of a game ever.

If only Brent DiNunzio was allowed to enter the game!

OneMoreTime
Feb 20, 2011

*quack*

Kawalimus posted:

Because it doesn't make any sense to in a specific game because it rarely comes to that. But teams don't because when you have limited roster spots it doesn't make sense to carry a 3rd but teams still need them. So they should just be allowed to carry three active QBs at all times. It's not a madden game where you can just insert a guy even if he's like a 47 QB and just run him the guy actually has to call signals and know those passing plays and crap. So that's why it's important.

They were already down to their 3rd QB. Like yeah I’d get this if your team didn’t have a bunch of injuries at the QB position but it’s the Niners, a team that regularly loses their QBs to injury seemingly every season. They maybe should have looked at the fact their team can’t keep their QBs healthy and grabbed another in favor of another player but they didn’t and that’s entirely on them

wandler20
Nov 13, 2002

How many Championships?

Quiet Feet posted:

It sucks for the 9ers but they'd still be on their 5th-string QB at that point. There are whole divisions that don't have 5 startable QBs.

Or in the current NFC South, zero.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

fsif posted:

If only Brent DiNunzio was allowed to enter the game!

I got mixed up and thought you were talking about Ben DiNucci for a second here, and...bless that man for trying. He did a whole Mahomes pass while I'm convinced having less arm strength than I do.

I mean it didn't work, but he tried it.

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

bows1 posted:

Bengals have moved on dont worry.

This lady hasn't

bows1
May 16, 2004

Chill, whale, chill

kiimo posted:

This lady hasn't

She seems very stable lol

fsif
Jul 18, 2003

Grittybeard posted:

I got mixed up and thought you were talking about Ben DiNucci for a second here, and...bless that man for trying. He did a whole Mahomes pass while I'm convinced having less arm strength than I do.

I mean it didn't work, but he tried it.

Oh no, that was exactly who I meant, heh. Shame on me for butchering his name.

e: lol even Collinsworth couldn't stifle his laughter.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=esEIk9JOE1w

fsif fucked around with this message at 20:11 on Feb 8, 2023

Rogue Elephant
May 1, 2007

Speaking of Niners quarterbacks, I really enjoyed this long story about Joe Montana learning how to deal with not being a pro football player anymore. Also resenting Tom Brady a little. https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/35604915/49ers-legend-joe-montana-reflects-legacy-ahead-super-bowl

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

Kawalimus posted:

A little hard to tell with Lance because he played one game in a monsoon then promptly died, but yeah, he's worse then Jimmy G when healthy, and most likely Lance as well. I don't have a particularly high opinion of Jimmy G either, Purdy just fell into the easiest situation imaginable, he's most likely not actually any good.

Like even in this world where you just give every team an extra slot for a super duper emergency QB... they're not going to get any practice time, the 49ers signed Josh in early december, but he sure as gently caress wasn't taking any practice snaps, they needed every one they could to get Purdy up to speed.

Kalli fucked around with this message at 20:17 on Feb 8, 2023

Kawalimus
Jan 17, 2008

Kalli posted:

A little hard to tell with Lance because he played one game in a monsoon then promptly died, but yeah, he's worse then Jimmy G when healthy, and most likely Lance as well. I don't have a particularly high opinion of Jimmy G either, Purdy just fell into the easiest situation imaginable, he's most likely not actually any good.

But he was competent enough to win the game. And Josh Johnson was much worse. So what I mean is you don't always know these things. One of the hard things for a depth QB is they really never get a chance with the first team so you never know if they might develop into something. Look at a guy like Tom Brady. If Drew Bledsoe never got hurt he might never have got a chance to play ever. And people said the same thing about Brady even when his teams were winning SBs that he was carried by defense and Belichick and not really any good. But it turned out he was. And lots of guys who do get chances come in on teams who are dreadful and situations like Kurt Warner are rare when they get to come in and play with Isaac Bruce, Torrey Holt, and Marshall Faulk among others.

QB development to me is weird and different from most other positions. You often don't know who might be a hidden talent but it's hard to give guys random chances and guys who do get chances often do in terrible situations where their success is unlikely.

They also will get practice time just not first team reps. But they'll still know the plays and can play the position.

sharknado slashfic
Jun 24, 2011

kiimo posted:

This lady hasn't

Don't doxx cavaro

sharknado slashfic
Jun 24, 2011

fsif posted:

Oh no, that was exactly who I meant, heh. Shame on me for butchering his name.

e: lol even Collinsworth couldn't stifle his laughter.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=esEIk9JOE1w

Ben Dinucci UNLOCKED made me laugh out loud, thank you

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

Kalli posted:

they're not going to get any practice time, the 49ers signed Josh in early december, but he sure as gently caress wasn't taking any practice snaps, they needed every one they could to get Purdy up to speed.

Yeah beyond his play or ability poor JJ took three or four delay of games in situations when they weren't in a position where it was the coaches not getting the play call in fast enough. Just...it seems hard to even call plays for a team that you're not familiar with and have only been there a while not getting practice time and your job is reading a book.

And this is the good version of this, Johnson has played football forever for a lot of different teams. Well, been around football forever for a lot of different teams at least, but he's used to learning new playbooks.

I suspect this is part of why CMC didn't get the emergency QB treatment when it was obvious Purdy was never going to pass, he just wasn't going to be able to get the plays off in time.

Quiet Feet
Dec 14, 2009

THE HELL IS WITH THIS ASS!?

wandler20 posted:

Or in the current NFC South, zero.

I gotta admit, the NFC South was the 1st division I thought of.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

Kawalimus posted:

One of the hard things for a depth QB is they really never get a chance with the first team so you never know if they might develop into something.

Multiple people have said that Purdy benefited greatly from going against the first team defense in practice. When you practice against guys like Warner and the Wars every week, you pick up a few things.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

mllaneza posted:

Multiple people have said that Purdy benefited greatly from going against the first team defense in practice. When you practice against guys like Warner and the Wars every week, you pick up a few things.

That reminds me of a real fun discussion with former players that the reason why head coaches that specialize in exotic defenses tend to have *terrible* offenses is that they have to play that defense in practice. They don't get to pick up useful things in general because they're constantly being overload blitzed while the entire other side of the d-line drops into zone coverage.