Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DanielCross
Aug 16, 2013

Aphrodite posted:

Yeah well we glottalized all the British T into the harbor and then kicked their asses in 1776. U-S-A, U-S-A.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Dareon posted:

I just saw the old map for Toto-Rak. What the gently caress?

Look up a video on old Copperbell Mine to see the exciting and engaging bosses you missed out on.

Axel Serenity
Sep 27, 2002
Bring back old Coincounter

HPanda
Sep 5, 2008
Wasn’t the original version of Toto-Rak from 1.0 open world? Like it was really just a place for old school MMO monster grinding treadmill? Could swear that was part of why even in the old map, there were pathways that seemed like they went somewhere but a bit of rubble would block it off from going further.

Ojjeorago
Sep 21, 2008

I had a dream, too. It wasn't pleasant, though ... I dreamt I was a moron...
Gary’s Answer

Electric Phantasm posted:

Look up a video on old Copperbell Mine to see the exciting and engaging bosses you missed out on.

Honestly I miss those totally ignorable adds, it made the boss feel more exciting than running in and out of circles.

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist

HPanda posted:

Wasn’t the original version of Toto-Rak from 1.0 open world? Like it was really just a place for old school MMO monster grinding treadmill? Could swear that was part of why even in the old map, there were pathways that seemed like they went somewhere but a bit of rubble would block it off from going further.

It was instanced, but non linear.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Not to say that 1.0 didn't have open world "dungeons" for grinding spots, just that Toto-Rak wasn't one of them.

TheWorldsaStage
Sep 10, 2020

parasyte posted:

Don't forget the repeated sound of Heavy applying, over and over and over through the whole dungeon. Just to make you aware of the sludge all over the floors that it wasn't possible to avoid.

I can still hear it, over and over like a beating heart under the floorboard

Hogama
Sep 3, 2011

That's the original Toto-rak added in patch 1.18. You had a list of objectives for some particular loot, though the only thing you HAD to do was collect the appropriate protocells to open the way to one of the bosses. All of them were a giant diremite like Graffias (and named for a star in the Scorpius constellation).

2.0's Toto-rak blocked off portions of the map (though you could still find the remains of some of the chests).

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

Volkova III posted:

The same way you pronounce it when it's spelled "harbor". Color is colour, endeavor is endeavour. Not complicated.

My dad's from England, made some business trips there over the years, and as a result a decent number of the sci-fi/fantasy books in his collection were regional editions. I happily learned to read from those books without knowing it was a thing. One time in early elementary school I wrote the word armor and sat there staring at it. I knew it was correct, but I also knew there should be a u in there. Just quietly having an existential crisis in the middle of a spelling test. It was something like 5 years later that I learned about them properly, I'd kept quiet that whole time thinking there was something wrong with me.

I mean, there is, but not that.

jjac
Jun 12, 2007

What time is it?!

New toto is pleasant but has a 'map modder found the tilesets' vibe to it, if that's understandable.

Vitamean
May 31, 2012

I do sorta wish we had dungeons in the fashion of 1.x totorak/aurum vale/dzemael as an optional content pillar like deep dungeon and variants. Neither really scratches the itch I have - variants come close but I'm not a big fan of how they lock you into a route after making a choice.

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

Anybody lose their glasses?
Yeah I wouldn't mind more freeform dungeons it was just excruciating getting them when you just wanted an easy leveling roulette

jalapeno_dude
Apr 10, 2015

Axel Serenity posted:

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

We need more visual tells and less orange soda.

GloomMouse
Mar 6, 2007

Coin Counter killed me when I was just a babby sprout and for that crime he is cursed to be BLU Missile'd to death for eternity

Mister Olympus
Oct 31, 2011

Buzzard, Who Steals From Dead Bodies

Vitamean posted:

I do sorta wish we had dungeons in the fashion of 1.x totorak/aurum vale/dzemael as an optional content pillar like deep dungeon and variants. Neither really scratches the itch I have - variants come close but I'm not a big fan of how they lock you into a route after making a choice.

If they gave you the whole place to play around in and intersecting paths, but randomized the objectives, that might work. The issue with old-time MMO dungeon design is still visible in today's WoW, where people will find any weird little glitch in the level geometry to try and speedrun it and force everyone into doing that.

IthilionTheBrave
Sep 5, 2013

Bruceski posted:

My dad's from England, made some business trips there over the years, and as a result a decent number of the sci-fi/fantasy books in his collection were regional editions. I happily learned to read from those books without knowing it was a thing. One time in early elementary school I wrote the word armor and sat there staring at it. I knew it was correct, but I also knew there should be a u in there. Just quietly having an existential crisis in the middle of a spelling test. It was something like 5 years later that I learned about them properly, I'd kept quiet that whole time thinking there was something wrong with me.

I mean, there is, but not that.

My dad was born in England to American parents (grandpa was Air Force). He told me a story once about how one of my aunts got in trouble for putting a u in color after they had moved back to the States and my grandma reamed that school a new one for their ignorance.

This... isn't terribly relevant to the overall conversation at hand...

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

IthilionTheBrave posted:

My dad was born in England to American parents (grandpa was Air Force). He told me a story once about how one of my aunts got in trouble for putting a u in color after they had moved back to the States and my grandma reamed that school a new one for their ignorance.

This... isn't terribly relevant to the overall conversation at hand...

Yeah, but it's fun.

IthilionTheBrave
Sep 5, 2013

Bruceski posted:

Yeah, but it's fun.

True! I've been told that I pronounce either and neither in a more UK fashion despite being born and raised in America my whole life. I use an I sound rather than E. I have no idea why I do this other than it just feels right to me. Honestly not sure which region that's actually appropriate to, honestly. I was homeschooled my entire life so I still mispronounce a lot of words just because I'd only ever read them and not heard them used.

I'm also pleasantly inebriated, which is lending itself to this rambling mess

aegof
Mar 2, 2011

Axel Serenity posted:

World War Mammories
Aug 25, 2006

Axel Serenity posted:

Dareon
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin
more like oldcoincounterless

Bloody Pom
Jun 5, 2011

Dareon posted:

more like oldcoincounterless

:dudsmile:

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

no cointry for old counters

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

Axel Serenity posted:

The gimmick of not having an AoE callout was great. Taught players the importance of reading the castbar.

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

super sweet best pal posted:

The gimmick of not having an AoE callout was great. Taught players the importance of reading the castbar.

They actually do this before Coincounter with the Chimera in Cutter's Cry, and it's arguably a more thorough tutorial since it has on-screen text prompts and visible post-cast effects that give you an approximate idea of where to stand the next time it goes off. I think giving him telegraphs was probably for the best for the sole reason that they reuse that cyclops model and its attacks a lot, and only one or two of them actually have end-of-cast telegraphs, so softballing it with the first one players encounter is ideal.

Zeruel
Mar 27, 2010

Alert: bad post spotted.
mounttalk

:smuggo:

Qwertycoatl
Dec 31, 2008

Zeruel posted:

mounttalk

:smuggo:

congrats!

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe
from :reddit: but it's perfect IMO (the datamined balloon mount is on Mogstation)

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
there better be a mod for that

G-Spot Run
Jun 28, 2005
Yanxian 'weather' balloons?

Onean
Feb 11, 2010

Maiden in white...
You are not one of us.
It's referencing the Zoom mod from the recent TOP drama.

I think.

Pyro Jack
Oct 2, 2016
Didn't expect a collab of Metal Gear with a Fulton mount.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!

Onean posted:

I think.

No, it's the Chinese weather balloon (or more probably 'weather balloon') that got shot down this week.

Onean
Feb 11, 2010

Maiden in white...
You are not one of us.
:argh:
That's what I get for only hearing about that and not looking into it.

1stGear
Jan 16, 2010

Here's to the new us.
This is canon.

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe

Onean posted:

I think.

Cleretic posted:

No, it's the Chinese weather balloon (or more probably 'weather balloon') that got shot down this week.
The fun part is, it works for both (but yeah the shopped model is clearly the "weather balloon").

Dragongem
Nov 9, 2009

Heroes of the Storm
Goon Tournament Champion

Vermain posted:

They actually do this before Coincounter with the Chimera in Cutter's Cry, and it's arguably a more thorough tutorial since it has on-screen text prompts and visible post-cast effects that give you an approximate idea of where to stand the next time it goes off. I think giving him telegraphs was probably for the best for the sole reason that they reuse that cyclops model and its attacks a lot, and only one or two of them actually have end-of-cast telegraphs, so softballing it with the first one players encounter is ideal.

I will always confuse which breath is in and which one is out for the rest of my life

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rantmo
Jul 30, 2003

A smile better suits a hero

Dragongem posted:

I will always confuse which breath is in and which one is out for the rest of my life

Dragon = drag in.