Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TenementFunster
Feb 20, 2003

The Cooler King
Please Don't Be Racist, Christian Braun.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Vox Nihili posted:

You can slice and dice the numbers a bunch of ways, but this is their big issue. Defense is more important in the playoffs because everyone is going at 110% and the true contenders almost always field elite defensive units. It's not clear to me if a team can make it through the NBA playoffs without top-end defensive talent. You also have to play elite defense the entire game, not just in the clutch, otherwise the game could be effectively decided by halftime.

So personally I'm a bit skeptical of the postseason Nuggets since their roster doesn't read as a complete, two-way team to me.

I’m busy so I will adopt this post. it’s correct

now don’t come on here talking about Lebron cavs teams. jokic is not Lebron

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

kingcobweb posted:

Giannis and KD are in the east, LeBron isn’t making the playoffs. they found ways to stop Kawhi and PG with wayyyyy worse players than they have now. I’m not going to pretend AG and KCP will STOP Luka, but they can hold him and kyrie to being worse than jokic and Jamal.

The West is more guard heavy, so it'll be the same question but with guys like Ja, Curry, Fox, etc. Basically who on the Nuggets will be assigned to stop each of the league's top offensive players. I think Bruce Brown at least shows up on the map matched against shooting guards/wings but you'll still have elite players like JJJ or KAT who will be too quick for Jokic and bigger than anyone else on the Nuggets. Even for players like Christian Wood I'm not sure how the Nuggets will match up defensively. It's going to come down to Aaron Gordon and KCP and like I said, I just don't think they're actually very good. Maybe my mental index of these guys is out of date, we will see.

Kawhi also looks totally different in the playoffs although I'm not sure he's still one of those top guys.

Vox Nihili fucked around with this message at 22:36 on Feb 8, 2023

the bitcoin of weed
Nov 1, 2014

loquacius posted:

Last night LeBron broke the lifetime regular-season scoring record

in a loss

to the Oklahoma City Thunder

don't sleep on the thunder those guys are gonna be a menace in the west the next few years

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

also I think the warriors are playing at about 20% effort

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

how can we not talk about family
when family's all that we got?

the bitcoin of weed posted:

don't sleep on the thunder those guys are gonna be a menace in the west the next few years

been hearing this since before the pandemic. it's gotta be true eventually

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

https://twitter.com/POTUS/status/1623405999942934534

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

fine but where's Zelensky's congrats

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

https://twitter.com/ShamsCharania/status/1623422681331761154

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

that would be a huge net positive for the wolves

Azathoth
Apr 3, 2001

gently caress yeah, I want that to happen. I thought Conley to the Lakers was a foregone conclusion. Just keep Westbrook away from my team TIA.

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

isn't Westbrook getting immediately bought out, I thought I read that that's what most trades involving him were expecting

Azathoth
Apr 3, 2001

indigi posted:

isn't Westbrook getting immediately bought out, I thought I read that that's what most trades involving him were expecting

That's the theory, but I think that's more that no one wants him on their team at his price. It's possible a tanking team might decide to ride him all the way to the basement.

kingcobweb
Apr 16, 2005

Azathoth posted:

That's the theory, but I think that's more that no one wants him on their team at his price. It's possible a tanking team might decide to ride him all the way to the basement.

I think he takes peanuts to play for the Clippers or Heat

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

would he get along with Jimmy? I guess if him and PatBev got along anything is possible, but Beverly seems like a real rah rah team guy who would try to make it work with anyone

TenementFunster
Feb 20, 2003

The Cooler King

indigi posted:

Beverly seems like a real rah rah team guy who would try to make it work with anyone
dude’s true calling was pro wrestling, but the NBA pays more

Azathoth
Apr 3, 2001

kingcobweb posted:

I think he takes peanuts to play for the Clippers or Heat

I don't see how a contender would want him even at veteran minimum, or whatever he could sign for.

He's under the Mendoza line and it's not even close. I won't throw stats around but lmao he is so bad this season. Both teams would be better off literally calling up a G league hustle guy instead both from a culture and an on-court play perspective.

kingcobweb
Apr 16, 2005

Azathoth posted:

I don't see how a contender would want him even at veteran minimum, or whatever he could sign for.

He's under the Mendoza line and it's not even close. I won't throw stats around but lmao he is so bad this season. Both teams would be better off literally calling up a G league hustle guy instead both from a culture and an on-court play perspective.

I’d play him over Ish Smith if I was the Nuggets

Azathoth
Apr 3, 2001

he's slightly better than ish smith is damning with faint praise

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

lol at embiid being double kontested

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

I’ll never be able to watch Celtics Sixers live

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

Man I just put my daughter to bed and I already missed a quarter

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

euphronius posted:

I’ll never be able to watch Celtics Sixers live

celtics look pretty bad so far.

horford, timelord, and smart being out really impacts the flow of the offense and the defense isnt as good either

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

fully sick block by d. white

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

So I guess Blake Griffin mostly just launches threes now

He's gotta be the oldest 33 year-old out there

triple sulk
Sep 17, 2014

Vox Nihili posted:

So I guess Blake Griffin mostly just launches threes now

He's gotta be the oldest 33 year-old out there

how the gently caress am i older than blake griffin

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

triple sulk posted:

how the gently caress am i older than blake griffin

you were born before him?

triple sulk
Sep 17, 2014

fart simpson posted:

you were born before him?

seems so

the sixers stink

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

My Sixers vs Celtics Keys to Victory:

Celtics: Hit 40%+ from three, that's it, you win

Sixers: Rack up 16+ free throws between Embiid and Harden + hope the Celts miss 60%+ of the open threes they'll be getting

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

I’m home tomorrow I will watch it and skip the commercials

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

Vox Nihili posted:

My Sixers vs Celtics Keys to Victory:

Celtics: Hit 40%+ from three, that's it, you win

Sixers: Rack up 16+ free throws between Embiid and Harden + hope the Celts miss 60%+ of the open threes they'll be getting

if derrick white can rack up 15 more of those sick blocks i think the cs can win it

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

Game is dangerously close at half despite the Celtics shooting real well and Sixers somehow only getting 4 FTAs

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001

Azathoth posted:

gently caress yeah, I want that to happen. I thought Conley to the Lakers was a foregone conclusion. Just keep Westbrook away from my team TIA.

when I read it the firs time I thought the twolves were getting westbrook and despaired for you

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

Vox Nihili posted:

Game is dangerously close at half despite the Celtics shooting real well and Sixers somehow only getting 4 FTAs

because the celtics offense has no flow tonight

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

why does embiid fall down so much? hes like 7 feet tall and 300 pounds

kingcobweb
Apr 16, 2005

fart simpson posted:

why does embiid fall down so much? hes like 7 feet tall and 300 pounds

to become the leading scorer in the NBA

Salvor_Hardin
Sep 13, 2005

I want to go protest.
Nap Ghost

Vox Nihili posted:

I mean, the Celtics are missing 3 key players and Jaylen is out after a bad start. Any outcome that is close is a moral victory here.

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

Salvor_Hardin posted:

I mean, the Celtics are missing 3 key players and Jaylen is out after a bad start. Any outcome that is close is a moral victory here.

another way to say it is the celtics are missing 4 starters.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

they still have the refs

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

euphronius posted:

they still have the refs

are you sure? jaylen brown got hit in the face so hard he's out the rest of the game and the refs didnt call it