Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Not a Children
Oct 9, 2012

Don't need a holster if you never stop shooting.

i say swears online posted:

property taxes rule, but they should be massively more progressive. i like graduated sqft tax rates

Property taxes should scale with the number of lots you own

Increment that assessment by a basis point for every residential property held

Triple it if it's a corporation

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Oldest Man
Jul 28, 2003

Minecraft Holmes posted:

if we're talking about a homestead exemption for property taxes, well those already exist in lots of places and they'll do things like only have it count for the first $X of property value or whatever

"I can exempt $X of value" from my property tax bill doesn't actually stop old people from getting bricked by skyrocketing asset values on their primary residence since $Y (the assessed value) is going to go on a tear anyway. You could try to make this progressive to protect home-owning old poor people with a graduated income-adjusted exemption (MEANS TESTING IN MINORITY-OWNED RETIREE COMMUNITIES) but that is a smaller and smaller subset of the population and the fact that underlying property is an appreciating and speculative commodity good in the first place will eventually gently caress over anyone who doesn't have the financial juice to play in that market. Even when implemented perfectly, it means they'll never be able to move again even if the taxes themselves don't financially cripple them.

Minecraft Holmes
Oct 21, 2016

doesn't disney still benefit from california's prop 13 for the property taxes on disneyland

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

62+ are exempted from school taxes in at least one of the counties around here, so all the wealthy retirees are building huge new suburbs out there.

The Oldest Man
Jul 28, 2003

Minecraft Holmes posted:

doesn't disney still benefit from california's prop 13 for the property taxes on disneyland

It's Mickey's primary residence

Minecraft Holmes
Oct 21, 2016

The Oldest Man posted:

"I can exempt $X of value" from my property tax bill doesn't actually stop old people from getting bricked by skyrocketing asset values on their primary residence since $Y (the assessed value) is going to go on a tear anyway. You could try to make this progressive to protect home-owning old poor people with a graduated income-adjusted exemption (MEANS TESTING IN MINORITY-OWNED RETIREE COMMUNITIES) but that is a smaller and smaller subset of the population and the fact that underlying property is an appreciating and speculative commodity good in the first place will eventually gently caress over anyone who doesn't have the financial juice to play in that market. Even when implemented perfectly, it means they'll never be able to move again even if the taxes themselves don't financially cripple them.

i don't have any empathy for some old and their tax burden for their "skyrocketing asset values" since they can always just, you know sell that now extremely valuable asset to not be hosed over

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003

This place here was last sold in 2004 for $207K and it's still assessed at that.

The moment this place closes the school district is going to sue to reassess at that sale price, the guy who bought it is going to find that $519,900 @ 36.03 mills means he's paying $1560 a month in property taxes on an 1800 square foot house and he's gonna poo poo a brick.

The Oldest Man
Jul 28, 2003

Minecraft Holmes posted:

i don't have any empathy for some old and their tax burden for their "skyrocketing asset values" since they can always just, you know sell that now extremely valuable asset to not be hosed over

If only there was some way for olds to keep living where they're living without handing a massive financial payoff to existing real estate owners hmmmmm

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

in austin the appraisal district's forecast had values in the area going up 2% per month, lots of the people that moved here to work for tesla last year will be paying $20k/year in taxes

Blackhawk
Nov 15, 2004

Nocturtle posted:

Renters have to pay just for existing, why should home owners get a pass?

Hey I'm not saying that people being forced to rent because they can't afford housing is a good thing either!

I guess yeah not taxing primary residence properties based on their value would probably result in people making enormous mansions as a vehicle for storing their wealth without paying tax, but in my mind-palace they'd still pay capital gains tax on whatever profits they made from the increase in value of their castle when they go to sell it, which they'd have to do to extract that profit as liquid cash?

I guess I'm just coming from the point of view of nobody should have to pay money just to live for any reason, that includes housing, healthcare and food at a minimum. These things should be provided by society and in return people should contribute what they can to society, but yeah I guess we're just back to capitalism loving things up?

The Oldest Man
Jul 28, 2003

Blackhawk posted:

I guess I'm just coming from the point of view of nobody should have to pay money just to live for any reason, that includes housing, healthcare and food at a minimum.

Eliminate commodity markets for basic human needs

why is giving number a little reach-around part of making sure everyone can sleep inside

Beached Whale
Jun 27, 2009

The world as will and idea

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud posted:

This place here was last sold in 2004 for $207K and it's still assessed at that.

The moment this place closes the school district is going to sue to reassess at that sale price, the guy who bought it is going to find that $519,900 @ 36.03 mills means he's paying $1560 a month in property taxes on an 1800 square foot house and he's gonna poo poo a brick.

If that's in Lebo I'm almost certain they're one of like, 3 townships where the school district doesn't sue

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Blackhawk posted:

What's the argument to be made for property taxes at all on your primary residence? Obviously the government needs to raise tax revenue to pay for things, but that seems like it would be more fairly derived from income, capital gains and corporate tax? And obviously you want to discourage people buying a ton of houses and just squatting on them, but I don't see how you couldn't completely waive taxes on the property that you live in?

Seems weird to tax people basically just for existing, at least income tax is only applied if you actually earn money, property tax is like a constant money syphon for as long as you're alive which as pointed out is problematic when you get old and can't work anymore.

the taxes pay for services from government bodies who cannot issue fiat currency

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

Blackhawk posted:

Hey I'm not saying that people being forced to rent because they can't afford housing is a good thing either!

I guess yeah not taxing primary residence properties based on their value would probably result in people making enormous mansions as a vehicle for storing their wealth without paying tax, but in my mind-palace they'd still pay capital gains tax on whatever profits they made from the increase in value of their castle when they go to sell it, which they'd have to do to extract that profit as liquid cash?

I guess I'm just coming from the point of view of nobody should have to pay money just to live for any reason, that includes housing, healthcare and food at a minimum. These things should be provided by society and in return people should contribute what they can to society, but yeah I guess we're just back to capitalism loving things up?

i mean yeah if the US was just throwing up soviet apartments everywhere i think they should go untaxed but if someone's building some lovely mcmansion with Lennar or w/e i say soak 'em

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

Blackhawk posted:

What's the argument to be made for property taxes at all on your primary residence? Obviously the government needs to raise tax revenue to pay for things, but that seems like it would be more fairly derived from income, capital gains and corporate tax? And obviously you want to discourage people buying a ton of houses and just squatting on them, but I don't see how you couldn't completely waive taxes on the property that you live in?

Seems weird to tax people basically just for existing, at least income tax is only applied if you actually earn money, property tax is like a constant money syphon for as long as you're alive which as pointed out is problematic when you get old and can't work anymore.

its so that rich neighborhoods can have 'better' schools and pay the most for teachers instead of just printing money at the fed level and handing it out to every municipality evenly

a bunch of state money (sales, income tax) can and is poured into schools too but most places dont want it to be only that

a new movement is to even try to make the PTA funds equitable where the PTAs all send their money to a central fund that splits it by school, so the poorer schools in a district get the same as the richer ones.

Blackhawk
Nov 15, 2004

Minecraft Holmes posted:

But if the old sells their extremely valuable asset (house) they still need to live somewhere right? And whatever else they want to buy will also have massively appreciated in value and so will be super expensive and also come with its own crippling property taxes. Obviously in the scenario where they own a large family house and are able to sell and downsize into something smaller in their retirement that would probably work out, but if they're a poor old who already live in the smallest place they could afford then they might have to sell and start renting, which isn't great for an 80 year old potentially with medical or mobility issues. Or they land in one of the predatory 'retirement village' places which are equally designed to suck them dry.

I guess my point is that the system is designed to suck you dry when you're no-longer useful to capital, just because that happens to somebody who historically got a huge advantage over later generations doesn't make it right. No war but class war etc.

Nitevision
Oct 5, 2004

Your Friendly FYAD Helper
Ask Me For FYAD Help
Another Reason To Talk To Me Is To Hangout
Can you guys read some Henry George. Meemaw in the house she bought for $50 and is now worth $3m has reaped an enormous windfall from the productivity of her community and it's unethical for her to monopolize the value that she didn't create. Which is why we have to kill her.

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud posted:

My wife got a Tony Packo's shirt there and wore it for six years until it fell apart

Jesus Christ dude buy her a second shirt

MickeyFinn
May 8, 2007
Biggie Smalls and Junior Mafia some mark ass bitches

Blackhawk posted:

Housing uses resources. Roads, water lines, sewer lines, and power lines need to be maintained, replaced and repaired. Police departments and fire departments want to be funded, too. People want schools to send their kids to. Property taxes are supposed to support those things. There are a lot of issues with property taxes, including that they are too low (see Strong Towns), but they do raise revenue locally.

MickeyFinn
May 8, 2007
Biggie Smalls and Junior Mafia some mark ass bitches

Nitevision posted:

Can you guys read some Henry George. Meemaw in the house she bought for $50 and is now worth $3m has reaped an enormous windfall from the productivity of her community and it's unethical for her to monopolize the value that she didn't create. Which is why we have to kill her.

Do you have a specific book/whatever to recommend?

Nitevision
Oct 5, 2004

Your Friendly FYAD Helper
Ask Me For FYAD Help
Another Reason To Talk To Me Is To Hangout

MickeyFinn posted:

Do you have a specific book/whatever to recommend?

I'm so glad you asked. https://standardebooks.org/ebooks/henry-george/progress-and-poverty

But don't just take it from me, enjoy one of my favorite sections on all of Wikipedia: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Progress_and_Poverty#Notable_recognition

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

DR FRASIER KRANG posted:

Jesus Christ dude buy her a second shirt

lmbo

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

using taxes to fund services is kind of dumb and antiquated. taxes should be used to destroy wealth. RE taxes can be used in that second way

Blackhawk
Nov 15, 2004

euphronius posted:

using taxes to fund services is kind of dumb and antiquated. taxes should be used to destroy wealth. RE taxes can be used in that second way

Hey buddy unlike everybody else I earned this wealth.

Ammanas
Jul 17, 2005

Voltes V: "Laser swooooooooord!"

Nitevision posted:

They also think that building denser housing will cause more traffic in their cities, which appears to be true, since decades of building housing in the sprawling periphery instead has virtually eliminated road congestion in California.

....:cawg:

well probably right. its not like anywhere is building up infrastructure to match growing housing demand/construction. for example, on the 2 lane road next to my apartment complex there are several hundred sfhs being built - no meaningful lots, houses are about as close as they can be before being townhomes, so thats nice.

the freeway is 5 miles away. its not a question that traffic in this area will increase.

but people need places to live. the answer is always build more, build densely, and build mass transit. guess what isnt being built.

Deadly Ham Sandwich
Aug 19, 2009
Smellrose

mastershakeman posted:

its so that rich neighborhoods can have 'better' schools and pay the most for teachers instead of just printing money at the fed level and handing it out to every municipality evenly

a bunch of state money (sales, income tax) can and is poured into schools too but most places dont want it to be only that

a new movement is to even try to make the PTA funds equitable where the PTAs all send their money to a central fund that splits it by school, so the poorer schools in a district get the same as the richer ones.

Or you can be like Texas and take school property tax revenue from higher value counties (cities) and reallocate it to the suburbs. That way even when property values skyrocket, urban schools will remain underfunded.

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

Deadly Ham Sandwich posted:

Or you can be like Texas and take school property tax revenue from higher value counties (cities) and reallocate it to the suburbs. That way even when property values skyrocket, urban schools will remain underfunded.

the biggest losers are urban enclaves like highland park and westlake on a per-capita basis. iunno where you got that suburbs get the money; it goes to poorer rural school districts in the eastern and southern areas of the state. in fact, Plano ISD has paid more in recapture than any other school district. it's not a perfect program but it's more good than bad.

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

how can we not talk about family
when family's all that we got?

Fitzy Fitz posted:

62+ are exempted from school taxes in at least one of the counties around here, so all the wealthy retirees are building huge new suburbs out there.

this is the most backward rear end bullshit lol. no I don't want my community to have a capable workforce as I slip into helpless senility as long as I save a few bucks on taxes now

HashtagGirlboss
Jan 4, 2005

indigi posted:

this is the most backward rear end bullshit lol. no I don't want my community to have a capable workforce as I slip into helpless senility as long as I save a few bucks on taxes now

At 62+ you’re probably not going to be around for rising elementary school students to really get into the workforce anyway, that’s your children’s problem

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

I've been working and paying social security my whole life, I paid taxes the whole time, my kids are through school, I'm just looking to retire in peace, the city is too bl- dangerous, and

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

HashtagGirlboss posted:

At 62+ you’re probably not going to be around for rising elementary school students to really get into the workforce anyway, that’s your children’s problem

yes but even high school teachers need to get paid

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

indigi posted:

not my problem, sonny jim

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003

I love all the perverse incentives built into American society, great system

HashtagGirlboss
Jan 4, 2005

indigi posted:

They’re like 90% educated by that point they’ll be fine

Teabag Dome Scandal
Mar 19, 2002

Deadly Ham Sandwich posted:

I think Washington state did this too

War and Pieces
Apr 24, 2022

DID NOT VOTE FOR FETTERMAN
Replace property tax with LVT

Ornery and Hornery
Oct 22, 2020

replace capitalism with glorious communism

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

institute a hard salary cap imo

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

indigi posted:

institute a hard salary cap imo

i'm requesting a trade to a lower COL area

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Celexi
Nov 25, 2006

Slava Ukraini!
My parent-in-laws after we told them last year to sell their exurb home while it was worth like a million dollars or something lol instead put it into a fund so we wouldn't see it they die and then they promptly took several lines of credit on the new re-assed value.

The value is several hundred thousand less now lmao.

Celexi has issued a correction as of 03:35 on Feb 9, 2023