Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22

GunnerJ posted:

The Romans didn't really appear to give that much of a poo poo about their own customary religion over the long run, so it's also possible they just adopted the gods of the Norse wholesale through syncretic identification. So I like this idea.

This didn't really happen with Hellenistic or other deities, so I don't think you can draw that conclusion. The Romans just kind of coopted Hellenistic/Gallic/Germanic religious stories under their own branding (as a very gross oversimplification). So you ended up (IRL) where a recognizable Odin-story were assigned to Mercury, and Mercury was a relatively popular god, possibly the most popular, in Roman Germania. I would imagine that this process would be quite similar in this narrative. Perhaps the Germanic culture is more dominant so you retain names of Germanic gods, but give them Roman stories too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

Do you think this is funny?

Luca_024 posted:

Honestly, I don't really think this checks out? Non-codified religions are a complicated beast for us to understand when we're not used to that, but there's plenty of evidence that the romans who followed Hellenic religion were pretty drat serious about it. Many Christian traditions practiced to this day were adaptations of earlier Roman ones to make the jump easier for the Hellenic faithful - for example, archaeologists estimate Jesus was born around August, but we celebrate Christmas near the Winter Solstice because that's when an earlier, pagan Roman festival happened, and the traditions of gift-giving and tree-decorating come from there as well. Also, even after Christianity became the Empire's official religion, there is plenty of evidence of local elites maintaining pagan customs for a while.

This blog post by a professional ancient historian goes into depth about how the religious transition happened. I think it would be interesting to have some sort of division in the Norse-Roman religion, in which the official doctrine observed by the elites of Roman descent has more Hellenic elements than the folk religion practiced by the people. That's what happened IRL as Christianity expanded in Europe; before the first Inquisition in the 12th century, the Catholic Church was a lot more heterogeneous in its practices because the local, pagan customs of each locale mixed with Christian teachings, which led to a mish-mash of local regional variants of Catholicism, even though the theology being taught to the priests was theoretically the same.

If you meant the Romans adopting Hellenic gods in the first place, though, they probably did that because of the Etruscans, who contributed to many institutions and traditions of the late Roman Kingdom and early Republic. It's unlikely the Norse would get the same treatment, as the Romans probably see them as lowly barbarians, rather than a beacon of civilization to emulate as they did Etruria and Greece.

"Romans adopting Hellenic gods in the first place" is what I was thinking of, but fair enough. Although it's also worth noting that "Rome as continent-spanning empire" and "Rome as rump remnant out on the wilderness" are two pretty different situations. Whatever Romans might think, they aren't anywhere near as powerful as in OTL, so they're probably not in the driver's seat of the cultural merger.

Luca_024
Dec 26, 2022

GunnerJ posted:

"Romans adopting Hellenic gods in the first place" is what I was thinking of, but fair enough. Although it's also worth noting that "Rome as continent-spanning empire" and "Rome as rump remnant out on the wilderness" are two pretty different situations. Whatever Romans might think, they aren't anywhere near as powerful as in OTL, so they're probably not in the driver's seat of the cultural merger.

i guess at that point we need to ask ourselves how exactly is the merger happening - are the Norse leaders taking up Roman customs to increase their control of society, like OTL Germanic leaders of newly-conquered kingdoms did? How entrenched were the Roman elites in Germania before the Third Punic War? How violent is the Roman rule, how frequent are rebellions? Are the Romans trying to convince the Norse to cooperate or just brute-forcing their way through the whole process? All of that could influence how exactly the syncretism ends up happening, and I don't think the Romans can force the Norse into doing much given their current position, either.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22

GunnerJ posted:

Describing what went on with Roman religion as "Romans adopting Hellenic gods" is not really an accurate description of what happened, though. The Romans mashed any gods they came across in to their pantheon. It had already happened with various local Italian and Etruscan religious structures. Really, it was more of a cross-identification process. "That God you call X is our God we call Y"

Tulip
Jun 3, 2008

yeah thats pretty good

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

Describing what went on with Roman religion as "Romans adopting Hellenic gods" is not really an accurate description of what happened, though. The Romans mashed any gods they came across in to their pantheon. It had already happened with various local Italian and Etruscan religious structures. Really, it was more of a cross-identification process. "That God you call X is our God we call Y"

Yup.

And it's good that OP is in the driver's seat on just creating fiction they like here because this one is really tricky. Norse religion has a loooot of gaps and a lot of common misconceptions about the few things we do know. Archaeological evidence suggests Odin was a minor God, at least in terms of practice, but who's to say the nu-mans won't pump his cult up like crazy? Ullr is a bit on the other side, being a clearly really popular God who features minimally in popular imagination, but he's an archer, so is Apollo, we got some legs.

And to make this even a bit more "fun," the nu-mans have little reason not to get kind of into Carthaginian gods. Why not have Baal and Vulcan-Thor or Mars-Heimdall be friends or rivals

Agean90
Jun 28, 2008

Gods and big state temples doesn't really reflect how the man on the street interacts with roman religion. Real fun idea is how the concepts of numen and lares merge with protonorse religion.

Giving an offering to the guardian spirit of the fjord to protect the village while I cover myself in Virtue raiding to strengthen the Godhead that watches over the eternal jarldom

Tulip
Jun 3, 2008

yeah thats pretty good

Agean90 posted:

Gods and big state temples doesn't really reflect how the man on the street interacts with roman religion. Real fun idea is how the concepts of numen and lares merge with protonorse religion.

Giving an offering to the guardian spirit of the fjord to protect the village while I cover myself in Virtue raiding to strengthen the Godhead that watches over the eternal jarldom

:hmmyes:

Sanguinia
Jan 1, 2012

~Everybody wants to be a cat~
~Because a cat's the only cat~
~Who knows where its at~

Look, just tell me who Kratos and Atreus are going to make friends with and who they're going to kill so I can update my chart God of War chart.

NewMars
Mar 10, 2013
Wait a second, I've got a good one.

Roman -> romen -> nomen -> nromen -> Norman!

...Wait.

Sherbert Hoover
Dec 12, 2019

Working hard, thank you!
What did ancient Germans call Romans?

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--
IT WASP ME ALL *BZZT* ALONG!

'These assholes' probably, 'a good target for raiding' quite often, and eventually 'our salvation from the invasion' followed by 'these assholes' again.
A very complicated relationship.

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.

Sherbert Hoover posted:

This feels like the setup to one of those jokes I haven't taken enough grad school history classes to get.

Buschmaki
Dec 26, 2012

‿︵‿︵‿︵‿Lean Addict︵‿︵‿︵‿

Sherbert Hoover posted:

All tho' Greeks just call em Garum-lover, All the Germans just call 'em "Sir"

Caustic Soda
Nov 1, 2010

Sherbert Hoover posted:

'Foreign' - specifically, some variant on https://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/welsch, possibly originally 'walhisch' or 'walhiskas', see also https://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/valskr.

Originally used for celtic peoples (those being the neighbors of germanic cultures, see also the Welsh), and later for Romans/Romance-speakers (what with them being the new neighbors, see also Wallachia, the Romance-speakers in Switzerland, and Welsch-Bern [Verona, where Dietrich von Bern/Theodoric the Great was said to rule from).

Edit: mind you, depending on how integrated the Romans and the Norse are, calling them foreign might not make sense.

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

Caustic Soda posted:

'Foreign' - specifically, some variant on https://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/welsch, possibly originally 'walhisch' or 'walhiskas', see also https://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/valskr.

Originally used for celtic peoples (those being the neighbors of germanic cultures, see also the Welsh), and later for Romans/Romance-speakers (what with them being the new neighbors, see also Wallachia, the Romance-speakers in Switzerland, and Welsch-Bern [Verona, where Dietrich von Bern/Theodoric the Great was said to rule from).

Edit: mind you, depending on how integrated the Romans and the Norse are, calling them foreign might not make sense.

Well I've heard enough, the Romans are now the Welsh.

Luhood
Nov 13, 2012
If Rome was mythologically founded and named for Romulus, the Rome-in-Exile might build upon the same myth and name it after Remus, Remia.

EDIT:
Alternatively tie the entire Romulus and Remus myth into the Fenris, them being a lost tribe of "Lokispawn" finally coming home. This combines with the simple notion that the Hellenic deities were known for weaving magic to a far greater degree than most Norse myths, in particular their tendency to change the shape of themselves and others (most prominently Zeus himself), a trait they would share with Loki. From that naming the entire new faith Seiđr from the ancient art of magic practiced by the Völva of Norse mythology. It's now a faith where supposedly the formerly shunned magic lead to the now lost riches of Rome, which in turn could spawn the upcoming Viking age as they set out to find Rome's lost riches.

Luhood fucked around with this message at 19:03 on Feb 8, 2023

Sanguinia
Jan 1, 2012

~Everybody wants to be a cat~
~Because a cat's the only cat~
~Who knows where its at~

Luhood posted:

If Rome was mythologically founded and named for Romulus, the Rome-in-Exile might build upon the same myth and name it after Remus, Remia.

Also they become orcs somehow

Sherbert Hoover
Dec 12, 2019

Working hard, thank you!

vyelkin posted:

Well I've heard enough, the Romans are now the Welsh.

habeasdorkus
Nov 3, 2013

Royalty is a continuous shitposting motion.
I just think we should make sure that the Normans invade the British Isle and then we can have the English in EUIV and beyond making the modding much less work.

hashashash
Nov 2, 2016

Cure for cancer discovered!
Court physicians hate him!
well I'm working on cultures rn, and I can confirm that looking at the map gives me an upset stomach

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

hashashash posted:

well I'm working on cultures rn, and I can confirm that looking at the map gives me an upset stomach

How gory are the borders?

NewMars
Mar 10, 2013

Xelkelvos posted:

Some days we hear screaming. Some days we hear weeping. Some days we hear nothing and those ones trouble us most of all.

Tulip
Jun 3, 2008

yeah thats pretty good

NewMars posted:

Some days we hear screaming. Some days we hear weeping. Some days we hear nothing and those ones trouble us most of all.

Personally I'm cheering.

hashashash
Nov 2, 2016

Xelkelvos posted:

I'm cleaning them up, but there's only so much you can do when you have Huns, Slavs, five different types of German, and then Gauls and Britons all standing on top of each other

habeasdorkus
Nov 3, 2013

Royalty is a continuous shitposting motion.

hashashash posted:

I'm cleaning them up, but there's only so much you can do when you have Huns, Slavs, five different types of German, and then Gauls and Britons all standing on top of each other

:sickos:

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

hashashash posted:

Roll a die to determine who assimilates all the rest and then ignore the die roll and go with whichever one makes adapting place names easiest

Tulip
Jun 3, 2008

yeah thats pretty good

hashashash posted:

Follow the Zomian example and have them divided up in the way that colonial administrations hate the absolute most (by elevation band)

Veryslightlymad
Jun 3, 2007

I fight with
my brain
and with an
underlying
hatred of the
Erebonian
Noble Faction
Don't clean them up. Clean borders are completely ahistorical.

Tulip
Jun 3, 2008

yeah thats pretty good

Veryslightlymad posted:

Don't clean them up. Clean borders are completely ahistorical.

:hmmyes:

Beachcomber
May 21, 2007

Another day in paradise.

Slippery Tilde
I missed all the fun voting, but I wanted to check way back whether asian elephants were supposed to be stronger and more fearsome than the native African elephants.

hashashash
Nov 2, 2016

Beachcomber posted:

I missed all the fun voting, but I wanted to check way back whether asian elephants were supposed to be stronger and more fearsome than the native African elephants.

irl I believe Asian elephants were larger than African elephants, so I suppose so yeah

I also decided to spin off that one event where we imported Asian elephants, into them not dying out in Africa...

so Carthage will be able to recruit war elephants in ck3 too

Hellioning
Jun 27, 2008

Oh no.

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Most of the time he catches it every time.
Grimey Drawer
I'm fairly certain African elephants are the bigger ones.

Ralepozozaxe
Sep 6, 2010

A Veritable Smorgasbord!
The Bush Elephant is the largest elephant, but the North African Forest Elephant (the Carthage one that in real life is extinct) was real small. I'm pretty sure I only know this because of Civ 5.

hashashash
Nov 2, 2016

Eifert Posting posted:

the north African elephants used by the Carthaginians, and eventually driven to extinction, were apparently much smaller than Asian and Indian elephants of the time, as well as modern African elephants

that's just going off the wikipedia pages though, so could be wrong

Asterite34
May 19, 2009

As I'm given to understand, African elephants are generally bigger, but basically impossible to train compared to somewhat more amenable Indian elephants

e: not sure how this compares to whatever extinct North African elephants Carthage had, though

forkis
Sep 15, 2011

Eifert Posting posted:

You are correct. However the now-extinct North African subspecies utilized by the Carthaginians is believed to have been quite small (compared to other Elephants at least).

Edit: whoops, beaten to the punch by like four other Goons eager to share Cool Elephant Facts

forkis fucked around with this message at 03:06 on Feb 10, 2023

Beachcomber
May 21, 2007

Another day in paradise.

Slippery Tilde
I never knew about special Carthaginian elephants, so thank you.

Edit: didn't know what that smiley would do.

Buschmaki
Dec 26, 2012

‿︵‿︵‿︵‿Lean Addict︵‿︵‿︵‿
The extinction of the small elephants is where the world went to poo poo imo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.

Buschmaki posted:

The extinction of the small elephants is where the world went to poo poo imo

Agreed.