Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Grimthwacker
Aug 7, 2014

Oh, I have to find the other bonfires across the stage. That wasn't really telegraphed well. I should also see if I can invest in onmyo Fire Talismans to go along with the other ones I have stocked up. I always forget I have stuff like that. Thanks. Game's really good but I initially dropped it months ago due to Onryuki. Once I got going things still kicked my rear end regularly but I've gotten better!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

isk
Oct 3, 2007

You don't want me owing you

Ulio posted:

You can beat it without the bonfire, ya... That happened to me, I didn't know what the bonfires were for and got stuck super long in the stage but it's doable.

Btw those who were asking if Nioh1 is worth playing or jump straight to Nioh 2. Nioh 1 has some really good boss fights so I think it's worth it.

Also it makes a couple late game missions in Nioh 2 that much sweeter

Like, totally earnest 1980s fistpump

Grimthwacker posted:

Oh, I have to find the other bonfires across the stage. That wasn't really telegraphed well. I should also see if I can invest in onmyo Fire Talismans to go along with the other ones I have stocked up. I always forget I have stuff like that. Thanks. Game's really good but I initially dropped it months ago due to Onryuki. Once I got going things still kicked my rear end regularly but I've gotten better!

You're in good company. That first boss fight is brutal. Only reason I did so well on it at launch is because I played the demo over and over

Game owns, and Nioh 2 is a broad upgrade

isk fucked around with this message at 01:50 on Feb 7, 2023

Morter
Jul 1, 2006

:ninja:
Gift for the grind, criminal mind shifty

Swift with the 9 through a 59FIFTY
Why did this thread get active the moment i thought about reinstalling it even though I did everything except 20 floors of The Depths. You can't make me do it. Stop. :negative:

CharlestonJew
Jul 7, 2011

Illegal Hen
Wo Long is coming soon, might as well reinstall and shake the rust off before it comes out

Grimthwacker
Aug 7, 2014

Just wanted to say that if there's one thing I hate more than bombers and snipers, it's those red cleaver yokai that still keep surprising me with their range and attack speed. Spears might be the "safe" weapon, but to me they've been a godsend against yokai. One or two light high stance attacks and fancy footwork getting ready for the next counterattack. Human enemies aren't even a blip on my radar at this point.

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents. We live on a placid island of ignorance in the midst of black seas of infinity, and it was not meant that we should voyage far.

Grimey Drawer

isk posted:

2) Light the 3 fires spread out in the level; don't worry about the torches in the boss arena itself

However, doing so does block the smaller blobs from spawning in those corners when he lands in the arena, basically blocks his adds. But otherwise yeah just stack fire damage and go to town. That isn't a great boss fight but they get better.

Morter
Jul 1, 2006

Takes No Damage posted:

However, doing so does block the smaller blobs from spawning in those corners when he lands in the arena, basically blocks his adds. But otherwise yeah just stack fire damage and go to town. That isn't a great boss fight but they get better.

Counter-point: gently caress that boss.

Granted, this was when I was new and terrible at this game, but that boss had never done that beam that early--typically by the 3rd phase (when at the sides). I probably should've seen it coming, but at this point I found the bosses slogs and hated them. I still do, generally, but I'm much much much much much better at dealing with Nioh bosses, several years and 1000+ hours later

Begemot
Oct 14, 2012

The One True Oden

Morter posted:

Counter-point: gently caress that boss.

Granted, this was when I was new and terrible at this game, but that boss had never done that beam that early--typically by the 3rd phase (when at the sides). I probably should've seen it coming, but at this point I found the bosses slogs and hated them. I still do, generally, but I'm much much much much much better at dealing with Nioh bosses, several years and 1000+ hours later

Ahahaha, yeah, I've gotten hit by that one too. Feels great to dodge it when it does that, though.

There are like three bosses* in Nioh that are absolutely miserable to fight, and two of them are very early on in the game. The sequel was much better in that regard, the snake was my only roadblock. It really felt like the boses were better designed, not as many cheap instant-kills, and you had better tools to deal with their bullshit (the yokai counter thing).

* Nue, Umibozu, and Gashadokuro. God the Gashadokuro fight was so annoying. The centipede boss was a little tricky, but once you figure out the gimmick it's not bad.

Ulio
Feb 17, 2011

So Team Ninja added a straight up gun in Stranger of Paradise and ya it's completely busted.

Captainicus
Feb 22, 2013

Can you get the gun early? I had a look at DLC 1 and 2 but they are super high level stuff and the level scaling to get better gear sucks.

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents. We live on a placid island of ignorance in the midst of black seas of infinity, and it was not meant that we should voyage far.

Grimey Drawer

Begemot posted:

Ahahaha, yeah, I've gotten hit by that one too. Feels great to dodge it when it does that, though.

There are like three bosses* in Nioh that are absolutely miserable to fight, and two of them are very early on in the game. The sequel was much better in that regard, the snake was my only roadblock. It really felt like the boses were better designed, not as many cheap instant-kills, and you had better tools to deal with their bullshit (the yokai counter thing).

* Nue, Umibozu, and Gashadokuro. God the Gashadokuro fight was so annoying. The centipede boss was a little tricky, but once you figure out the gimmick it's not bad.

I had seen video of people beating Nue from the demo before I got there in the real game, but I was pretty confident it wouldn't be no thang. Queue me dying to it for like an hour+ :negative: However, now the counter to every move it has is burned into my psyche and they're almost 0 threat unless they have adds.

CharlestonJew
Jul 7, 2011

Illegal Hen

Captainicus posted:

Can you get the gun early? I had a look at DLC 1 and 2 but they are super high level stuff and the level scaling to get better gear sucks.

The dlc adds guns to the regular loot pool

Chortles
Dec 29, 2008
6th anniversary tweet: https://twitter.com/TeamNINJAStudio/status/1623517047861772289

Morter
Jul 1, 2006

I'm not following anything about it but finding out about that panda thing made me find this and I need it in my life

https://twitter.com/wolongofficial/status/1621961796465868800

Autsj
Nov 9, 2011

Takes No Damage posted:

I had seen video of people beating Nue from the demo before I got there in the real game, but I was pretty confident it wouldn't be no thang. Queue me dying to it for like an hour+ :negative: However, now the counter to every move it has is burned into my psyche and they're almost 0 threat unless they have adds.

Nue is a complete dickmove, not only is he tuned pretty highly, you also fight him in the rain which increases his lightning damage (to the point that it can one-shot the average character). I recall replaying Nioh 1 after 2, thinking Nue wouldn't be a problem since he rolled over in 2-- I got one-shot 3 times in a row.

ReVerve
Jul 13, 2001

Select and make your first pick.

Biscuit Hider
Nue is a normal midboss, not only is he tuned to the difficulty you selected, you also fight him in a level with anti-lightining armor/charms to find. Add in any other magic/ninja tools you've unlocked and it could be in real trouble.

Stupid jokes aside, mostly I think the game didn't communicate well enough how the early missions expect you to pay attention to and utilize the non-random loot in a mission. Bat lady's mission had the archer garb and charms, Umi's has the fire masks and bonfire's, etc..

Autsj
Nov 9, 2011

ReVerve posted:

Nue is a normal midboss, not only is he tuned to the difficulty you selected, you also fight him in a level with anti-lightining armor/charms to find. Add in any other magic/ninja tools you've unlocked and it could be in real trouble.

Stupid jokes aside, mostly I think the game didn't communicate well enough how the early missions expect you to pay attention to and utilize the non-random loot in a mission. Bat lady's mission had the archer garb and charms, Umi's has the fire masks and bonfire's, etc..

I'm not talking tuned in terms of scaling, I'm talking tuned after expected scaling. Nue is tuned way beyond a normal midboss, and I'm perfectly aware you can stack lightning defense that you get on that level, it sucks, it is way too low to overcome the 40 something damage increase from the rain (and it comes from a low value set that few characters will want to use). Nue is a pretty good example of Team Ninja not really sure where they wanted their difficulty at design wise, most of Nioh 1 shows a lot of that uncertainty and messiness. It's got cool ideas, but it doesn't hang together all that well.

Grimthwacker
Aug 7, 2014

Umi-Bozu wasn't bad when everything was on fire. I thought that my gear in the Path of the Warrior: Adept mission was set to just my spear and no healing items, but after getting thoroughly roughed up I wised up to the fact I had a sword and my current item palate wasn't the one with the Elixirs on it. Managed to eventually get through and got a lot of Haze II practice. That thing's just good. Also the spear trip move.

Ulio
Feb 17, 2011

Captainicus posted:

CharlestonJew posted:

The dlc adds guns to the regular loot pool

Ya so if you have one of the dlcs I forget which one it is. You get the gun. So it's Marksmen > Hunter > Gambler. Just on Marksmen you can completely make the final boss a joke on hard difficulty with unoptimized equipment. This shouldn't be the case since with most classes you can't even stagger him but you do so much pierce/posture dmg with marksmen its stupid.

It feels like playing a jank rear end thirdperson shooter but you get some cool abilities.

Nue is hard for the time you face him. He reminds me of Capra Demon in DS1. Then you just realize later on that they use Nue as a regular enemy and he was just a skill check early on.

Ulio fucked around with this message at 01:10 on Feb 10, 2023

isk
Oct 3, 2007

You don't want me owing you

Grimthwacker posted:

Managed to eventually get through and got a lot of Haze II practice. That thing's just good.

Yep! Just about every human enemy became target practice once I mastered Haze

CharlestonJew
Jul 7, 2011

Illegal Hen
Tbf the final boss of SoP is meant to be easy

Ulio
Feb 17, 2011

CharlestonJew posted:

Tbf the final boss of SoP is meant to be easy

Ya I guess you are powered up. But after that I started doing Chaos missions with way underleveled gear and the new marksmen line of jobs are all broken. I don't think I've seen anything like the gambler job in a action game like this. You press r2 and you have the chance of getting any ability/skill from any other job with a roulette spin. If your luck is high enough you can get 2-3 rolls in a row. This job seems completely busted. You can high like full mp + still be on lightbringer + 2-3 other buffs.

I have to praise Team Ninja for not playing it safe. They went all out with the jobs even if some of them break the game. And I understand how many reviewers thought this game was repetitive, it's poo poo easy with companions on normal. This reminds me of Code Vein which had a similar job system as well, it had some depth but if you were playing with companions you basically could button mash your way through. On hard with no companions you get a similar experience to a soul game with really high skill ceiling similar to Nioh/Sekiro.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

the way they did the DLC for Stranger of Paradise was pretty disappointing, what with not having new stages and instead the stuff that was a bonus for the dedicated players in Nioh (higher difficulties etc.) ended up being the meat of the expansions with the new bosses just being standalone battles. It didn’t add enough variety to keep the game fresh. it also kinda devalued each NG+ difficulty and messed up the progression between them, since they had to give you a way to fast-track Chaos mode and skip right to Bahamut mode to play the content you paid for.
apparently the third DLC does add a new environment but it’s still a letdown that the first two didn’t.

Tortolia
Dec 29, 2005

Hindustan Electronics Employee of the Month, July 2008
Grimey Drawer
Finished Nioh 2 last night. I mean technically I only broke into NG2 and did The First Samurai on NG1 difficulty because my 170 gear was gonna turn that DLC into a cruise control victory lap on normal if I didn’t step up, so no Underworld or anything. But I completed every mission, and finished up with Against All Comers, which was just a perfect finale (I laughed when they followed up the double Otekemaru fight with a Special Guest Star). Splitstaff was cool, fists were hilariously monstrous especially when I learned the gospel of Opportunist, Reckless Charge and Izuna Drop stun loops on human enemies (and putting paralysis on Kick Cycle does a ton of work).

Fantastic game and series. 2 just had so many great tweaks and enhancements that even if it was basically Nioh 1.5 it was just a joy to play.

Now to take a short break before I pick my Stranger of Paradise run back up in prep for Wo Long.

Theotus
Nov 8, 2014

Tortolia posted:

Finished Nioh 2 last night. I mean technically I only broke into NG2 and did The First Samurai on NG1 difficulty because my 170 gear was gonna turn that DLC into a cruise control victory lap on normal if I didn’t step up, so no Underworld or anything. But I completed every mission, and finished up with Against All Comers, which was just a perfect finale (I laughed when they followed up the double Otekemaru fight with a Special Guest Star). Splitstaff was cool, fists were hilariously monstrous especially when I learned the gospel of Opportunist, Reckless Charge and Izuna Drop stun loops on human enemies (and putting paralysis on Kick Cycle does a ton of work).

Fantastic game and series. 2 just had so many great tweaks and enhancements that even if it was basically Nioh 1.5 it was just a joy to play.

Now to take a short break before I pick my Stranger of Paradise run back up in prep for Wo Long.

Story was stupid as hell, but I actually was happy our OG bud showed up in the end to help out.

Ulio
Feb 17, 2011

Augus posted:

the way they did the DLC for Stranger of Paradise was pretty disappointing, what with not having new stages and instead the stuff that was a bonus for the dedicated players in Nioh (higher difficulties etc.) ended up being the meat of the expansions with the new bosses just being standalone battles. It didn’t add enough variety to keep the game fresh. it also kinda devalued each NG+ difficulty and messed up the progression between them, since they had to give you a way to fast-track Chaos mode and skip right to Bahamut mode to play the content you paid for.
apparently the third DLC does add a new environment but it’s still a letdown that the first two didn’t.

100% agree, the dlc could have been so much better. The difficulty addition also are super confusing as usual then you have to farm anima crystals + shards. It's just random complexity for no reason. That being said I disagree with the variety part, I do think the new jobs were completely different. It's just you have to play similar levels but with diff job.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

is it me or are the bosses in the new Wo Long demo really easy?

game feels great tho

Morter
Jul 1, 2006

Augus posted:

is it me or are the bosses in the new Wo Long demo really easy?

game feels great tho

Game feels great but i've hit a slight wall because some of the heavier attacks are getting lag spikes making it troublesome for me to deflect...

Morter
Jul 1, 2006

Did manage to beat the 2nd level and its bosses with no issue. Only one of the demonized officers gave me trouble because of the stupid ambush of zombie-type folks throwing bombs. Otherwise it was a piece of cake and I had fun. Pre-purchased to most expensive thing since I know I'm going to get hundreds of hours out of this.

Eschatos
Apr 10, 2013

pictured: Big Cum's Most Monstrous Ambassador
How did the demo run for y'all on PC? Been seeing a bunch of complaints about the performance.

Morter
Jul 1, 2006

Eschatos posted:

How did the demo run for y'all on PC? Been seeing a bunch of complaints about the performance.

Hitches a little more than i'd like but to be fair i didn't mess around too much with graphics settings. That made me mess up timing with parrying, which is so important.

I'll try harder upon release, though

Kosume Shezaki
Feb 23, 2006
Tried the Wo Long demo and while the first boss' second phase was a wall for a bit I did get past him about 7 goes and enjoyed the combat flow overall. This spurred me to try Nioh again but I just completely bounce off for third time. I don't know what it is but the combat just does not click for me there.

40 Proof Listerine
Jul 1, 2007

Baroness Kanan-Zelaya of the minor House of Carbon
What should someone just getting into Nioh 2 know

I have not played Nioh 1 and this first mission is jumping into the deep end

At least they're kind enough to tell you not to fight Gozuki

Morter
Jul 1, 2006

40 Proof Listerine posted:

Enjoy the game and figure yourself out. When you get to the end and realize 'this is the kind of stuff I want to play with', try NG+ and get really challenged. Your build/optimization matters very little in the base game, but it'll be everything if you decide to go deeper.

Tortolia
Dec 29, 2005

Hindustan Electronics Employee of the Month, July 2008
Grimey Drawer

There’s several skills in the samurai tree to give you extra ki if you stance swap while ki pulsing (flux IIRC) and another one to make you auto-pulse when you dodge. You want both of those asap to help manage resources and clear yokai puddles in combat. You also can get your first ninjitsu and onmyo magic points in combat by using consumables (bombs/shuriken for the former, talismans for the latter). It’s easy to get proficiency/skillpoints in those from then on since ninjitsu/onmyo you learn and equip recharges at shrines. You can find items in stages to give you those skillpoints later on but consumables can give you an early leg up.

Beyond that, just experiment and know that both Nioh games have a fairly stonewally early boss or two, then are largely smooth sailing. There are also basically zero permanent decisions, so don’t hesitate to try new things, you can easily and cheaply respec later on.

Autsj
Nov 9, 2011

Firstly: You will probably not really get much out of the story unless you are a big Sengoku era nerd. You are not missing any real critical details from the first game.

The Nioh games might be built on the bones of soulslikes, but they have fundamentally different values. The Nioh games are action games really, they want you to be fighting more and bigger and nastier opponents, with a weapon selection for you to sort out which you like, buying new moves that you think are useful, and adding special abilities that you think are cool. The levels, thought significantly better than N1 are still simply an excuse to get you to fight things, not so much about rewarding exploration in the same way another soulslike would. You can find nice stuff and its still recommended to explore, but a lot will just be a different route to the same place or some extra loot.

At the core, the game wants you to get familiar with its systems, there are plenty of times where you can get clever with a boss or enemy, but the most consistency will always come from getting better at the game's fundamental mechanics, getting comfy with your weapons, switching stances to access more tools, Ki Pulsing and Fluxing to keep going, Yokai abilities to spice things up. You can play as a dedicated fighter, ninja, or mage, but really you should try out everything because it all has something useful for any playstyle and you are not really expected to specialize until NG+ if even then.

On loot: it's kinda useful to understand that Nioh has an extensive New Game+ cycle (it is about fighting more and tougher enemies, level repetition does not really matter to the game) and it kinda considers the first playthrough an introductionary course. All gear will end up outclassed within a level or 2-3, it's not intended to really keep hold off or invest a lot of resources into. The game just wants you to sample all the possibilities. You can definitely find good stuff (especially on accessories), but for the most part just get new weapons and armor with bigger base numbers. Stats don't matter untill NG+, except for requirements/utility, put the points where you need something, don't worry about optimizing (re-specs get cheap as gently caress).

Sell all common gear, maybe all uncommon too, dissassemble all blues and purples you're not using to stock up on crafting poo poo for DLC and NG+.

Finally, very much not obvious but very important to know are your Toughness and Agility stats. Weight ratio defines your Agility, the lower your rating the more Ki you spend on actions and the slower it recovers. You'll probably want at least a B rating in Agility your first time through. Toughness affects your poise through attacks and how well you can block, it comes from gear, heavier gives more, you'll probably will want at least a B rating in Toughness your first time through or you will have a real difficult time blocking attacks. B/B is totally solid at first, then over the course of the game see if you can swap gear around and put points into Stamina to get an A rating in either Toughness or Agility while keeping the other at a B. Agility B, Toughness A is probably the easiest to achieve and the easiest to play for your first playthrough, but whichever you prefer.

Enjoy messing around and learning, the game gets more and more fun the better you get at it, but it can have a real hump for a bit.

Edit: If you're dodging, switch to Low Stance, that's the one for dodging. Don't regularly dodge in Mid Stance, that one is actually the worst for it.

Autsj fucked around with this message at 19:08 on Mar 7, 2023

AfricanBootyShine
Jan 9, 2006

Snake wins.

I'm ~10ish hours into Nioh 2 and I just beat the huge snake boss. Been having lots of fun with this game despite bouncing hard off of the first.

My man problem is that I love playing with all the weapons, so my skill trees are pretty underdeveloped. It isn't bothering me much as none of that fancy combo poo poo has been relevant for bosses if I'm only able to get 2-3 hits in before retreating while I wait for the next opening.

On top of that, it seems like a lot of the skills only work on trash mobs, so I'm confused as to what the point of them is.

Am I screwing myself over by not getting enough skill points to fill out all the fancy switchglaive stance dancing poo poo on my first (and probably only) playthrough? Alternatively, am I gonna break the game too hard if I just use a trainer to max out familiarity with all weapons near the endgame so I can enjoy the depth of the systems without pouring 200+ hours into the game?

Morter
Jul 1, 2006

IMO, no grind is needed in the first two cycles of the game to need to bring in 3rd party software about it. Skills don't matter as much as your general proficiency/comfort with weapons. There really is a sense of rhythm to the game: learning about how you, yourself, trade blows with enemies, and then getting better at that, is the most important thing.

I ended up gunning for skills really fast but i was awkward as gently caress about using them until I had a good idea about how to weave them into my playstyle. Plus, you never have to grind in order to 'play the next level', so feel free to repeat levels (main or sub) to just play around with the combat systems and weapons.

Autsj
Nov 9, 2011

AfricanBootyShine posted:

I'm ~10ish hours into Nioh 2 and I just beat the huge snake boss. Been having lots of fun with this game despite bouncing hard off of the first.

My man problem is that I love playing with all the weapons, so my skill trees are pretty underdeveloped. It isn't bothering me much as none of that fancy combo poo poo has been relevant for bosses if I'm only able to get 2-3 hits in before retreating while I wait for the next opening.

On top of that, it seems like a lot of the skills only work on trash mobs, so I'm confused as to what the point of them is.

Am I screwing myself over by not getting enough skill points to fill out all the fancy switchglaive stance dancing poo poo on my first (and probably only) playthrough? Alternatively, am I gonna break the game too hard if I just use a trainer to max out familiarity with all weapons near the endgame so I can enjoy the depth of the systems without pouring 200+ hours into the game?

No need to worry, you're like 1/9th into the game, and proficiency points gain scales up with level and/or damage. You can fairly easily unlock all mastery missions with every weapon in one playthrough, though you might want to carry around some +% proficiency bonus on your accessories.

Feel free to experiment with weapons as much as you want, though it can help to have 1 or 2 that you develop a bit extra for the tougher boss encounters.

A lot of skills only work on human enemies, but there are plenty of human bosses in the game coming up. To get fancy combos going you generally need to break an enemy's Ki, if you are retreating after 2-3 hits you might want to scan the skill trees for some more Ki breaking style moves (usually kicks or blunt strikes of sorts) and use them to break a Yokai's Ki before going ham. And remember that via the Dojo Menu you can respec a skill tree for a pittance at any time between missions.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

And what should one do to be remembered?
Weapon skill trees that are lagging behind get more progress the further back they are, so punching a zombie with a Kusarigama will give you like 5 points if you haven't used it since starting the game and you have like 15 levels in Sword. It's been a while but I'm pretty sure that's how it worked :v: