Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
COSTCO!!!
PBUC
Executive Member
I make terrible financial decisions here.
BRING BACK THE COMBO SLICE
505 Club
Death To Sams Club
Goku waiting in extremely long gas line.
View Results

Cockblocktopus
Apr 18, 2009

Since the beginning of time, man has yearned to destroy the sun.

Sent a prescription to the CVS near my house. $95.

Transferred the prescription to the Costco across town. $18.

Paid for my membership by itself (only a 90 day supply so I'll have to fill it three more times in a year) AND I got a hot dog AND 20 oz. soda (with refill) while I was there!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kntfkr
Feb 11, 2019

GOOSE FUCKER

Involuntary Sparkle posted:

Not always. A lot of the non alcoholic beverages are made by private label manufacturers that don't make the brand name product. I work in the beverage industry and honestly have found most of the non alcoholic beverages under the Kirkland brand to be kinda crappy.

I also used to work with the people who developed some of the alcohol, some of them are also not the same as the name brand. The spiced rum is one.

Good to know. I've only sold activity kits (chalk) to Costco.

pencilhands
Aug 20, 2022

do chicken bakes make anyone elses farts smell like a rotting skunk carcass

kntfkr
Feb 11, 2019

GOOSE FUCKER
you need to see a doctor

death cob for cutie
Dec 30, 2006

dwarves won't delve no more
too much splatting down on Zot:4
so after a recent ER visit I discovered there's a whole-rear end Costco like two blocks away from me in Chicago and I've discovered they stock the fig bars I like to snack on at like 50% of the price of where I get them elsewhere and it's making me think about a membership. question for yall though: is it worth it if you don't have a bunch of space to like, store stuff you've bought in bulk? my free space to stash away poo poo is fairly limited here, so it might not be worth it to save a bunch of money on some stuff if I end up tripping over it for the next couple of weeks.

I could take my girlfriend though, she's got three kids so they go through a shitton of hot dogs and lunch box snacks and poo poo, that would probably be a pro move

DeadFatDuckFat
Oct 29, 2012

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

death cob for cutie posted:

so after a recent ER visit I discovered there's a whole-rear end Costco like two blocks away from me in Chicago and I've discovered they stock the fig bars I like to snack on at like 50% of the price of where I get them elsewhere and it's making me think about a membership. question for yall though: is it worth it if you don't have a bunch of space to like, store stuff you've bought in bulk? my free space to stash away poo poo is fairly limited here, so it might not be worth it to save a bunch of money on some stuff if I end up tripping over it for the next couple of weeks.

I could take my girlfriend though, she's got three kids so they go through a shitton of hot dogs and lunch box snacks and poo poo, that would probably be a pro move

Just split the space intensive stuff with your girlfriend then? Like, paper towels or whatever. What kind of things would you want to buy that would take up a lot of room? If you live literally 2 blocks away then its not like you have to stock up all at once

Involuntary Sparkle
Aug 12, 2004

Chemo-kitties can have “accidents” too!

I got pulled into a meeting about Costco this morning, so I got paid to talk about Costco. Living the dream.

Soul Dentist
Mar 17, 2009
Costco also sells fruit and vegetables so the kids don't end up just eating three different kinds of baloney

Slotducks
Oct 16, 2008

Nobody puts Phil in a corner.

Cockblocktopus posted:

Sent a prescription to the CVS near my house. $95.

Transferred the prescription to the Costco across town. $18.

Paid for my membership by itself (only a 90 day supply so I'll have to fill it three more times in a year) AND I got a hot dog AND 20 oz. soda (with refill) while I was there!

fun fact for ontario goons: you dont need a costco membership to fill your prescription at costco pharmacies

death cob for cutie
Dec 30, 2006

dwarves won't delve no more
too much splatting down on Zot:4

DeadFatDuckFat posted:

Just split the space intensive stuff with your girlfriend then? Like, paper towels or whatever. What kind of things would you want to buy that would take up a lot of room? If you live literally 2 blocks away then its not like you have to stock up all at once

my first thought would be frozen stuff, since I only have a standard fridge/freezer combo and am not buying a chest freezer or whatever, but I also... don't eat a whole lot of frozen stuff, so if I only buy a single box of whatever and deplete it over a month, that's not such a huge deal

maybe I'm overthinking it. maybe I should just go get a bunch of stuff at a great price

strangehamster
Sep 21, 2010

dance the night away

my first thought would be frozen stuff, since I only have a standard fridge/freezer combo and am not buying a chest freezer or whatever, but I also... don't eat a whole lot of frozen stuff, so if I only buy a single box of whatever and deplete it over a month, that's not such a huge deal

maybe I'm overthinking it. maybe I should just go get a bunch of stuff at a great price

Get a membership, if you don’t use it you can return it. (Kind of joke but not really, you can do this)

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
ASK ME ABOUT HOW HUMAN LIVES THAT MADE VIDEO GAME CONTROLLERS ARE WORTH MORE
Lipstick Apathy

Involuntary Sparkle posted:

I also used to work with the people who developed some of the alcohol, some of them are also not the same as the name brand. The spiced rum is one.

I'm very sure the Costco Bailey's isn't made by Bailey's. I don't think they would sell a $16 product to undercut their $46 product.

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm

Zero VGS posted:

I'm very sure the Costco Bailey's isn't made by Bailey's. I don't think they would sell a $16 product to undercut their $46 product.

They might as long as it isn’t called Bailey’s. Got to protect the brand!

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

Zero VGS posted:

I also don't think it's Bailey's, because the Kirkland version tastes way better while costing 1/3rd. Bailey's is garbage.

Involuntary Sparkle
Aug 12, 2004

Chemo-kitties can have “accidents” too!

^^^^ speaking of this, I don't think the thread has talked about the Can it Kirkland tiktoks? They're amazing.

Zero VGS posted:

It's not, it has different ingredients and a different abv.

Also two products being made in the same factory doesn't mean they're the same, either. Contract manufacturers can make thousands of different products.

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
Lipstick Apathy

Slotducks posted:

fun fact for ontario goons: you dont need a costco membership to fill your prescription at costco pharmacies

You don't need a membership for any Costco Pharmacy in any country. You will however need Cash/Debit/Visa/GiftCard for any copay, so don't expect to waltz in with a Mastercard: https://customerservice.costco.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/796/~/do-i-need-a-membership-to-purchase-prescription-drugs%3F

They have the best generics, and also had the largest selection of Covid vaccines with the lowest lines of all places I checked including CVS and the VA.

Hutla
Jun 5, 2004

It's mechanical
Death cob, I also live in Chicago and definitely get $60 of utility per year out of my membership. If you use allergy meds at all, Costco is hands down the cheapest option. Eggs, whole bean coffee, flour, sugar, vanilla and cocoa powder if you bake at all, the chicken, meat (vacuum seal into single meal portions and freeze), shrimp, fish, liquor, wine.

The key is resisting buying anything in huge packages that can’t be easily processed into single meal amounts. I buy steak once a year now, same with ground beef. Things that I’ve noticed aren’t worth getting in large quantities are things that will either stale fast or frozen vegetable mixes- they tend to freezer burn relatively fast in my garbage apartment freezer.

The nice thing about living so close is that you don’t need to buy everything at once. I live on the north side and both the Clybourne and Niles stores are about 40 minutes of driving so I always go out to Niles and do any suburban errands I’ve built up.

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

eVeN I KnOw wHaT CoRnEr gAs iS

I also have limited storage space and it's not a big deal. I think the biggest impact is that I just go less frequently, but still more than enough to make the membership worth it.

It does mean I'm careful about freezer items but that's probably a benefit, and there's a lot of things at Costco where it's just "2 of something" which is easy to manage. Plus there's a lot of things that aren't food items where storage won't be a big deal.

I find it sort of amusing the thing costco does worst with storage is storage containers. those variety pack of snapwares or whatever are bullshit, it's always 20 pieces of sizes i don't want and 4 that I do. just give me like 10 identical containers costco!!

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

The lids on my snapwares broke too and they don't sell replacements

Bibliotechno Music
Dec 30, 2008

Hi fellow Chicago churchgoers! I live a fifteen minute bus ride from the Clybourn store and don’t have a car, so I just CTA there and take a Lyft back home. Works out great and still cheap.

I’ve sung hymns to the pharmacy before, and always will. Costco + GoodRX save my uninsured rear end literal hundreds of dollars a month.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012
bro, do you even eat kimchi?

Soul Dentist
Mar 17, 2009
Re "snapwares": The Gladware to go containers are microwaveable and perfect for almost anything. When they finally break or mar grab another huge stack for everything

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Soul Dentist posted:

Re "snapwares": The Gladware to go containers are microwaveable and perfect for almost anything. When they finally break or mar grab another huge stack for everything

I've never been a big fan of microwaving plastic. I've slowly replaced everything with glass containers and it really is much better all around IMO.

No more spaghetti stained plastic containers

Ror
Oct 21, 2010

😸Everything's 🗞️ purrfect!💯🤟

pentyne posted:

bro, do you even eat kimchi?

i'm worried that there isn't any expanded space to make the fermentation better

Poopelyse
Jan 22, 2011

by Fluffdaddy
currently in the food court line to get a pizza

pencilhands
Aug 20, 2022

Zero VGS posted:

You don't need a membership for any Costco Pharmacy in any country. You will however need Cash/Debit/Visa/GiftCard for any copay, so don't expect to waltz in with a Mastercard: https://customerservice.costco.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/796/~/do-i-need-a-membership-to-purchase-prescription-drugs%3F

They have the best generics, and also had the largest selection of Covid vaccines with the lowest lines of all places I checked including CVS and the VA.

How does it work that places like costco and walmart can sell generic meds for like $10 without insurance while you go to somewhere like CVS and it's over $100?

pencilhands fucked around with this message at 05:23 on Feb 9, 2023

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

Hutla posted:

If you use allergy meds at all, Costco is hands down the cheapest option.

Yeah, I was going to say for stuff like ibuprofen, acetaminophen, contact solution, allergy meds, and so on that Costco is so much cheaper that you can pretty easily save the membership fee just with that stuff.

Dr. Fraiser Chain
May 18, 2004

Redlining my shit posting machine

pencilhands posted:

How does it work that places like costco and walmart can sell generic meds for like $10 without a prescription while you go to somewhere like CVS and it's over $100?

There is so much outrageous profit taking in American health anything basically

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

pencilhands posted:

How does it work that places like costco and walmart can sell generic meds for like $10 without insurance while you go to somewhere like CVS and it's over $100?

Gigantic, insane profit markups. Those cheaper places just aren't gouging as much.

Most medicines are not expensive to manufacture, the US has the most absurdly inflated medicine prices in the world.

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

Grand Fromage posted:

Gigantic, insane profit markups. Those cheaper places just aren't gouging as much.

Most medicines are not expensive to manufacture, the US has the most absurdly inflated medicine prices in the world.

Indeed.

One major component of that are the PBMs:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pharmacy_benefit_management

I have a friend who is a pharmacist, and his view from the inside of the system is grimdark as hell. A major pharmacy chain here had to shut down a year or so ago because they could no longer operate at a profit due to the hosed up and artificial nature of the profit-centered system.

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
Lipstick Apathy

pencilhands posted:

CVS has always been a convenience store first and a pharmacy second. You're paying for the convenience, supposedly. They do have longer pharmacy hours than Costco.

Their prices in general are going to be a ripoff compared to a supermarket like Walmart.

The one thing I'll give CVS some points for is that they were the first chain convenience store to ban tobacco, in 2014, which was cool and good.

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

Zero VGS posted:

CVS has always been a convenience store first and a pharmacy second. You're paying for the convenience, supposedly. They do have longer pharmacy hours than Costco.

Their prices in general are going to be a ripoff compared to a supermarket like Walmart.

The one thing I'll give CVS some points for is that they were the first chain convenience store to ban tobacco, in 2014, which was cool and good.

Maybe at one point that had some truth to it, but at this point they are also pushing for vertical integration in a really bad and creepy way. In 2018 CVS bought Aetna, so they have their own insurance company, and they have been working on acquiring their own medical providers. So the same company can provide your insurance, employ your doctor, and decide your pharmacy pricing.

https://www.pharmacytimes.com/view/cvs-finalizes-acquisition-of-aetna-and-looks-to-the-future
https://www.pbs.org/newshour/health/cvs-buys-primary-care-provider-oak-street-for-10-6-billion

In conclusion, go to Costco instead.

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.

CaptainSarcastic posted:

Maybe at one point that had some truth to it, but at this point they are also pushing for vertical integration in a really bad and creepy way. In 2018 CVS bought Aetna, so they have their own insurance company, and they have been working on acquiring their own medical providers. So the same company can provide your insurance, employ your doctor, and decide your pharmacy pricing.

https://www.pharmacytimes.com/view/cvs-finalizes-acquisition-of-aetna-and-looks-to-the-future
https://www.pbs.org/newshour/health/cvs-buys-primary-care-provider-oak-street-for-10-6-billion

In conclusion, go to Costco instead.

kaiser does all that and seems fine, idk

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

Just for the record, I have put the Sam's Club thread out of its misery. PBUC.

Smugworth
Apr 18, 2003

CaptainSarcastic posted:

Just for the record, I have put the Sam's Club thread out of its misery. PBUC.

Seems like the mods/admins are really turning things around lately. Love this! PBUC

DTaeKim
Aug 16, 2009

Kaiser is also non-profit. I'm not saying all non-profit is good, but the way you operate is different when you don't have shareholders to respond to.

metachronos
Sep 11, 2001

When I roll, baby I roll DEEP
I want one of those LG stick vacuums but $500 seems like a lot of money for a vacuum. Is there a decent model at the 'co in the $200 ballpark?

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

metachronos posted:

I want one of those LG stick vacuums but $500 seems like a lot of money for a vacuum. Is there a decent model at the 'co in the $200 ballpark?

There is a Shark one that is one sale, or was recently on sale. I don't have it but another goon was looking at buying one a couple weeks ago.

I have bought refurbished Dysons from their ebay store and have had zero issues with them.

This might be worth a shot, worst case you return it

https://www.costco.com/tineco-pure-one-x-pet-smart-cordless-stick-vacuum.product.4000092313.html

This Shark is 60 off right now bringing it down to 239.99

https://www.costco.com/shark-cordless-pro-vacuum-with-clean-sense-iq.product.4000035456.html

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

metachronos posted:

If you're already bought into a power tool colour family check that too, sometimes those can be good deals. My Ryobi stick vac is great even though I didn't get it from Costco

Anyway the weather is super gross today so I'm postponing my Costco visit and I am DISGRUNTLED

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DeadFatDuckFat
Oct 29, 2012

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

DTaeKim posted:

Kaiser is also non-profit. I'm not saying all non-profit is good, but the way you operate is different when you don't have shareholders to respond to.

Kaiser has the most expensive monthly premiums out of like any available insurance on the west coast. Its good if you get covered through work or whatever but its not cheap.

Hmm looking at it again, this may no longer be true. nm then!

DeadFatDuckFat fucked around with this message at 18:13 on Feb 9, 2023