Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!

There's a follow-up where she goes "Boy, you sure talk about Ike a lot" and Soren goes "n-no I don't"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Khizan
Jul 30, 2013

Hellioning posted:

I am not going to buy DLC until at least the actual story part is out, but these bond convos kind of make me want to.

I decided that I’m going to do it for my next playthrough. The dlc paralogues will give me some new maps to look forward to, and it’ll be my first maddening run in any FE game, so the extra power wo t feel as OP, because I’ll probably be bad at it.

Blaziken386
Jun 27, 2013

I'm what the kids call: a big nerd

Tae posted:

There's a follow-up where she goes "Boy, you sure talk about Ike a lot" and Soren goes "n-no I don't"

https://twitter.com/hresvelgers/status/1623531799317200898?s=09

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

incidentally, i think you can see one of the dlc classes in soren's paralogue?

a dagger/fist qi adept who can access the convoy.

Miftan
Mar 31, 2012

Terry knows what he can do with his bloody chocolate orange...

That's a cool class idea. I'm gonna wait for all of it then try a maddening/classic run.

I'm surprised the first wave came out so soon. Makes me hope the final wave won't take longer than 6 months or so.

blizzardvizard
Sep 12, 2012

Shhh... don't wake up the sleeping lion :3:

Kinda interesting. I'm guessing they can throw items at allies? If their Tonics still don't stack with food bonuses though they'd only really be good for healing items

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
Triangleattack averages gives me despair, my god Boucheran is so bad. Even at optimal feeding and promoting, he's not remotely beating Goldmary by the time she joins.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Tae posted:

Triangleattack averages gives me despair, my god Boucheran is so bad. Even at optimal feeding and promoting, he's not remotely beating Goldmary by the time she joins.

his str and def are lower but he can use heavier weapons without penalty, and his hp is higher.

buddychrist10
Nov 4, 2009

Obtuse.....even hokey.

Tae posted:

Boucheron is a late bloomer. His growths in Warrior are pretty balanced so eventually you have a unit with decent enough base speed and dex and enough build to use almost any weapon without penalty. I gave mine a forged Tomahawk and Resolve to shore up his defenses and he's probably my best unit. His HP stat is massive and one shotting mages with the Tomahawk is very fun.

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Wearer of Compasses. Slayer of Gods. Champion of the Colosseum. Heart of the Void.
Saviour of Hallownest.

ungulateman posted:

this is just completely counterthetical to my experience, which was sitting my units in marnie's range and watching her refuse to budge, then having the entire map start trying to (and succeeding!) kill me as soon as i moved closer

If a unit won't move, Astra storm with Alear stood next to the storm unit always deals at least 5 damage.

This will make any boss move off their tile.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

I mean of course Camilla can also use Dragon Vein but holy poo poo giving the player two Dragon Vein users is... a lot of power.

Sleng Teng
May 3, 2009

Yeah I’m interested in these emblems because they look sick but it feels like it’s a bit too much power… do you all think will this be on curve for the highest tier trials?

Avalerion
Oct 19, 2012

The new emblems look pretty cool. Hector gives a big buff to def/res, doubles up on counter and makes you unbreakable. Soren gets a taunt and a big range and aoe attack. And Camilla makes a unit into a flyer without the bow weakness.

Miftan
Mar 31, 2012

I hadn't realised how many new emblems the DLC has. This will definitely break the difficulty curve of the main game of its knee. I might just use some of them instead of some of the regular emblems instead of having 12+ emblems at all times once the last DLC wave hits.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Excited to use them for my 2nd run but definitely don't feel like touching the dlc for my first go through. Game has some pretty tight balance so far and I don't really want to mess that up with DLC power.

GateOfD
Jan 31, 2023

So kawaii..
how does the story explain 'oh, there's like X more rings now somehow'

which main rings are first to be benched? Right now, even with the 12, I'm finding little reason to field Michlah's ring in the later half and rather use one of the really good S-bond ones.

Avalerion
Oct 19, 2012

GateOfD posted:

how does the story explain 'oh, there's like X more rings now somehow'

They aren't rings but bracelets to get around that.

Micaiah is silly good. It's not just aoe heal but aoe obstruct or aoe warp.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

what the. AOE staff + map full heal so strong though.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Micaiah’s amazing because she allows for AoE Warp and Freeze and stuff like that.

It seems like the justification is that these are some little known Emblem bracelets so there are still only 12 rings.

FrickenMoron
May 6, 2009

Good game!
Normal difficulty players be like.

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

ASK ME ABOUT KISSING A GHOST
The issue of the Bracelets' origin is brought up in a few Bond lines.

They're from an alternate Elyos. Soren was given to Elusia in that world, Hector to Firene and Camilla, Solm.

The reason why they ended up crossing over will almost certainly be related to the Fell Xenologue from DLC wave 4, when the trailer openly talks about 'other worlds'.

Tired Moritz
Mar 25, 2012

wish Lowtax would get tired of YOUR POSTS

(n o i c e)
Maybe we'll get 5 more at the end of batch 4. The season pass is almost half of the price of the game. We better get more

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Probably the best use of the DLC for anyone who wants to keep the base game's difficulty intact is just to treat it as postgame content, since they'll scale to your level.

I'm really curious if Fell Xenologue will be something that's added to a normal playthrough or if it'll be a separate thing like Cindered Shadows. If it's part of a larger playthrough, I wonder if it'll scale like the Divine Paralogues do so you can do it whenever, or if it'll have a set level.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

cheetah7071 posted:

Camilla is the "emblem of revelation" instead of the "emblem of conquest" for some reason

Supposedly this is a hinky translation decision and in Japan she's 暗夜の紋章士カミラ which more or less means "Camilla: Emblem of Dark Night" because, y'know, Nohr and all.

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Wearer of Compasses. Slayer of Gods. Champion of the Colosseum. Heart of the Void.
Saviour of Hallownest.

Harrow posted:

That's interesting, I really felt like the game was pressing me to be more aggressive, especially past the mid-game. Bosses like to start moving towards you, there are tons of reinforcements that come at you from the rear (which can be overwhelming on some later maps), and it's easy enough to refill a key Emblem so it feels rewarding to use Engages early in an aggressive push.

But both you and Natural 20 had the opposite experience, which interests me.

My note was as a comparative to 3H and Awakening which are the games I've played and liked the most. And this game is genuinely a lot slower than games with galeforce/ pair up and 8 Mov canto rem Wyvern Lords / Ashiya sword assassins / whatever the gently caress you call the ball of insanity that is Constance.

I would say that Engage is really interesting in that if you have a sufficiently strong offense and are offensively minded, the game slows down.

Essentially the game tries to pressure you by presenting you with overwhelming numbers. But with an offense that's sufficiently loaded, you can look at the incoming wave and go "Oh yeah I can take that."

So you hang back, establish map position and kill what comes in with terrain advantage.

The part that's vexing for me is that it's often difficult to read what the game is telling you to do on a blind run.

Example in Ch21, a reinforcement wave shows and I go "I can take that." I kill it and a second wave appears.

Basically at that point I've got to figure out if the wave is wave 2/2 or wave 2/8.

If it's 2/2 and I ignore it and push, I've given up map position and put myself on a clock for no reason.

If it's 2/8 then if I fight the wave I'm going to just be stuck in place for ages.

Because I have 3H Maddening brain and the answer there is always kill the wave, I trended towards killing waves.

And yeah that leads to a very deliberate approach to the game.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Natural 20 posted:

My note was as a comparative to 3H and Awakening which are the games I've played and liked the most. And this game is genuinely a lot slower than games with galeforce/ pair up and 8 Mov canto rem Wyvern Lords / Ashiya sword assassins / whatever the gently caress you call the ball of insanity that is Constance.

Okay yeah that is very true. Every once in a while I imagine what I could do with a like 8+ move wyvern rider who could pair up drop my units across the map, or the absolute shenanigans you could do if you had Stride in this game

Your explanation of how the game can get slower the stronger you are makes sense to me, too. It's possible even that the reinforcements that looked overwhelming in, say, chapter 25 might have actually been manageable if I'd just set up my team to fight them all instead of trying to press forward every turn.

For me, I find that the combination of this game's map design and the time rewind mechanic encourages me to do riskier and more aggressive plays than I might if I had to reset if someone died, so my experience of the game was that it really wanted me to always be pressing forward. It does give you some really powerful stalling tools if you need them, though. Even just having someone engage with Corrin and tap the boss for chip damage can lock down a boss and their adjacent minions for like 4 consecutive turns without having to use Freeze charges.

jimmydalad
Sep 26, 2013

My face when others are unable to appreciate the :kazooieass:

AGDQ 2018 Awful Block Survivor
OH GOD WHY DID THE DLC HAVE TO COME OUT IN THE MIDDLE OF MY MADDENING RUN.

I’m stuck and work and want those new emblems dammit. And recreation spots!

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

I really wish the recreation spots had been in at launch. I actually think having a mechanic that helps speed up supports like that would've gone some way towards improving people's first impressions of the character writing since they'd see B supports a lot sooner.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
I'm getting into Merrin's supports with Timerra now, and Merrin might be my favorite character in the game for all that I don't think I'll s-rank her this run.

No wonder the sapphic energy between Merrin and Chloe is so intense. They both became royal knights of their respective kingdoms after unwittingly rescuing their crown princess who was in disguise. Where Chloe grew up in the highest ranks of nobility and looked to fairy tales for inspiration to escape her gilded cage, Merrin comes from a dirt poor farming village and after meeting Timerra has consciously set out to be a role model for young women. Merrin's whole thing about wanting to seem cool is a deliberate thing of wanting to inspire young women to pursue their dreams.

jimmydalad
Sep 26, 2013

My face when others are unable to appreciate the :kazooieass:

AGDQ 2018 Awful Block Survivor

Cythereal posted:

I'm getting into Merrin's supports with Timerra now, and Merrin might be my favorite character in the game for all that I don't think I'll s-rank her this run.

No wonder the sapphic energy between Merrin and Chloe is so intense. They both became royal knights of their respective kingdoms after unwittingly rescuing their crown princess who was in disguise. Where Chloe grew up in the highest ranks of nobility and looked to fairy tales for inspiration to escape her gilded cage, Merrin comes from a dirt poor farming village and after meeting Timerra has consciously set out to be a role model for young women. Merrin's whole thing about wanting to seem cool is a deliberate thing of wanting to inspire young women to pursue their dreams.

Timerra’s retainers are great. A lot of characters in this game are great. I don’t think there’s one character in the playable roster I actively dislike.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Cythereal posted:

Merrin owns

I've heard she gets special lines when she goes engage mode with Tiki because she gets so excited that she gets to be a dragon, which is delightful

jimmydalad posted:

Timerra’s retainers are great. A lot of characters in this game are great. I don’t think there’s one character in the playable roster I actively dislike.

It's interesting because this game is somewhat guilty of the same "every character is a gimmick character" thing that people, myself included, often criticize games like Fates for, except it works this time because all the gimmicks are actually funny, endearing, or both. This game's cast is excellent and I love how weird they all are.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Dpulex posted:

Etrian odyssey will be here soon

also side note but lmao that this was correct

Barreft
Jul 21, 2014

Oh hell yes more Engage content

Miftan
Mar 31, 2012

I know this was covered previously itt but what are the best class options for Jean? His skill applies to class growths only, right? Additionally, I assume you get him to 10 asap and then promote/reclass so he doesn't fall behind too much?

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

I will never log offshut up.

I still hate of this game's cast, but the characters I like, I actually do like. In Awakening comparisons it'd be like if I got a hypothetical gen2 game where I'd probably like it way more because in general I think gen2 Awakening is good while gen1 is awful, only in this game it's that gen2 is Brodia and Elusia and gen1 is Firene/Lythos.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
My first Jean was a good lad and probably ended up deployed every map after I recruited him and 20'd three times. He was a functionally immortal punch wizard.

Notty
Jun 4, 2010
Out of curiosity, is there anyone who’s done/been able to do Celica’s paralogue the ‘intended’ way?

Everyone who I know that has the game just puts someone in Warp Ragnarok range on turn 1-2 and then clears on 2-3.

Does she show any restraint on Maddening or does she have a deathwish on every mode?

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!
Somebody call for an ant?

I hit the summoner from the wrong side and wound up baiting her for the kill after only getting 2 of them. It seems like it would be pretty reasonable if you knew in advance that only one a turn summoned going from left to right. It's pretty easy on the first turn to use byleth and miciah to warp bomb four dudes onto a summoner turn one and set up a second warp bomb for turn 2 at which point you only deal with the initial reinforcements and one guy spawning 4 guys every 3 turns.

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

I will never log offshut up.

I didn't even expect her to Warp Ragnarok me, I was just splitting my group into two teams and when I started to assault the summoner who was a bit south of the first, well that's in range, she teleported and well so much for me going to defeat the summoner.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Harrow posted:

It's interesting because this game is somewhat guilty of the same "every character is a gimmick character" thing that people, myself included, often criticize games like Fates for, except it works this time because all the gimmicks are actually funny, endearing, or both. This game's cast is excellent and I love how weird they all are.

In general, I'm finding characters in this game rather hit-and-miss for me, but more hit than miss. At least there's so many guaranteed characters that it's easy to ignore the characters I do dislike like Hortensia, Alcryst, and Rosado.