Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

jimmydalad
Sep 26, 2013

My face when others are unable to appreciate the :kazooieass:

AGDQ 2018 Awful Block Survivor

Cythereal posted:

In general, I'm finding characters in this game rather hit-and-miss for me, but more hit than miss. At least there's so many guaranteed characters that it's easy to ignore the characters I do dislike like Hortensia, Alcryst, and Rosado.

I’m surprised you dislike Rosado because he’s one of my favourite characters. What issues does he have?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010
hosed up disliking Alcryst, he already hates himself enough for the both of you.

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!
Somebody call for an ant?

jimmydalad posted:

I’m surprised you dislike Rosado because he’s one of my favourite characters. What issues does he have?

He's pretty shallow as a character. If you're not a fan of his love of cute things there's not a whole lot else to him to draw you.

Reik
Mar 8, 2004
Yeah, when you have such a large cast it feels like you just have to give each character a single schtick and either you like that schtick or you don't.

Scrap Dragon
Oct 6, 2013

SECRET TECHNIQUE:
DARK SHADOW
BLACK FALLEN ANGEL!

I guess I'm an outlier cause I think this game's cast loving sucks. Maybe all the good supports are hidden on the characters I'm not using but I've gotten some A and several B ranks and (with the exception of Yunaka) literally none of these characters are doing it for me. This is way worse than the Awakening or even the Fates casts.

Shame, cause the gameplay is excellent

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose
I like Vander and Alfred.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

To discuss gameplay for a moment: I gotta say, I ended up growing pretty fond of smash weapons by the end. At first I thought they were terrible, especially because their niche of knocking enemies off of helpful terrain doesn't really come up a whole lot, but by the later parts of the game I started using them a lot.

If you have someone with a lot of bulk and strength but who's slow enough they're never doubling anyway, smash weapons are awesome, especially on enemy phase where their drawback doesn't apply. I bet you could even get some good use out of a smash weapon on a really evasive character fighting enemies they don't double--for example, you could probably give Alear a greatsword, park them on an avoid tile, and have them beat the hell out of enemy swordmasters.

FoolyCharged posted:

He's pretty shallow as a character. If you're not a fan of his love of cute things there's not a whole lot else to him to draw you.

The thing about Rosado is that he's a surprisingly normal guy in the context of this cast. He just likes cute things and drawing and those things make him happy, so he wears cute things and draws. That's it, that's Rosado. I like Rosado a lot not because he's particularly interesting or funny but because he just seems like a fairly pleasant, well-adjusted guy in the middle of a sea of absolute loons.

Harrow fucked around with this message at 16:22 on Feb 9, 2023

Notty
Jun 4, 2010
Of the characters I used, I really liked Alear, Goldmary, Ivy, Panette, Yunaka, and Veyle.

Goldmary and Ivy were particular standouts to me, as their supports had some of the best comedy writing I’ve ever seen in a Fire Emblem game.

I also thought Alear was a stellar protagonist, her VA really carried a lot of the late game. A lot of the story beats after Ch21 are pretty absurd and if she wasn’t acting her rear end off, it would’ve landed completely flat. As it stands, though, I feel pretty confident calling her The Best of the avatar protagonists by a pretty significant margin.

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

I don't need friends! I've been
manipulatin' you since the start!
All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

Amazing. They had like 100 units they could have pulled from Fates and they chose titty sister lmao

This is incredible.

Veryslightlymad
Jun 3, 2007

I fight with
my brain
and with an
underlying
hatred of the
Erebonian
Noble Faction

Miftan posted:

I know this was covered previously itt but what are the best class options for Jean? His skill applies to class growths only, right? Additionally, I assume you get him to 10 asap and then promote/reclass so he doesn't fall behind too much?

This has a knock on effect of making Jean functionally good at everything. There isn't a bad class choice for Jean, because he will have all that class's best stats.

I'm using him as a Royal Knight, which has a great array of stats, and am quite pleased with the results. Paladin is another one with great stats everywhere, but it lacks magic.

Alternatively, you can stick him in something lopsided, like berserker, and he'll gain something like 60+his base strength growth. I don't think it is legitimately possible to screw up Jean.

~~~~
On the other topic, characters which stand out as characters, I am digging Alear, Louis, and Alcryst the most right now.

Alear is as good of a protagonist as this series has seen. (Rather, that I have seen in this series) Louis has an enormous amount of game. Alcryst has this weird double personality where 90% of the time he's this sheepish dude with comically low confidence, and then someone threatens his loved ones and suddenly he's gallant and fierce.

Shout out to Alfred, who has the best facial expressions in all the cutscenes if you watch him closely. Alfred is so tired of this poo poo.

Notty
Jun 4, 2010

Blackbelt Bobman posted:

Amazing. They had like 100 units they could have pulled from Fates and they chose titty sister lmao
I mean she’s the most popular character from Fates by a pretty wide margin, I couldn’t really imagine them picking anyone but her.

Avalerion
Oct 19, 2012

My Jean ended up pretty bad, made him a griffon knight and he only ended up with like 14/14 str/mag. Maybe should have rushed to promote him sooner.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Notty posted:

I mean she’s the most popular character from Fates by a pretty wide margin, I couldn’t really imagine them picking anyone but her.

Azura would've been the only real alternative to Camilla, but boobs gonna boob so...

Sleng Teng
May 3, 2009

I'm glad of it.

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Wearer of Compasses. Slayer of Gods. Champion of the Colosseum. Heart of the Void.
Saviour of Hallownest.

Miftan posted:

I know this was covered previously itt but what are the best class options for Jean? His skill applies to class growths only, right? Additionally, I assume you get him to 10 asap and then promote/reclass so he doesn't fall behind too much?

Wait until you get a second seal. Recruit him, immediately second seal him to axe fighter for 40 str / 20spd.

Then your call of infantry physical class with hero and warrior being the premiere options. Warrior gives you 40 str/30spd compared to 30/30 on hero but costs brave assist.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

FoolyCharged posted:

This. To me he comes across as shallow and vain. I'm glad he exists as a very gender non-conforming dude, but I don't care for him as a person.

My favorite characters so far have been Merrin, Citrinne, and Celine.

Miftan
Mar 31, 2012

Terry knows what he can do with his bloody chocolate orange...

Would Jean be good even as a martial master? I'd really like someone to be able to Fist All Day but I'm not sure it's viable at all on maddening.

Veryslightlymad
Jun 3, 2007

I fight with
my brain
and with an
underlying
hatred of the
Erebonian
Noble Faction

Avalerion posted:

My Jean ended up pretty bad, made him a griffon knight and he only ended up with like 14/14 str/mag. Maybe should have rushed to promote him sooner.

I bet he was real fast, though. That is still alarmingly poor luck, even for stats that the class isn't actually any good at. I just finished chapter 17, and my Royal Knight Jean is somewhere in the high teens on both. And, well everything else that's not yet 20.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Vincent Van Goatse posted:

Azura would've been the only real alternative to Camilla, but boobs gonna boob so...

I'm not surprised they'd pick Camilla over Azura honestly. I never really felt like Azura was a particularly strong or memorable character despite being a major character in all three Fates routes, while Camilla is, if nothing else, quite memorable.

Also as busted as a second Dragon Vein emblem is, a second dance emblem would be absolutely nuts.

Veryslightlymad
Jun 3, 2007

I fight with
my brain
and with an
underlying
hatred of the
Erebonian
Noble Faction

Miftan posted:

Would Jean be good even as a martial master? I'd really like someone to be able to Fist All Day but I'm not sure it's viable at all on maddening.

Martial master Jean would have Growths of 60HP/40Str/60mag/35Dex/40Spd/55Def/70Res/45Lck/5Bld.

So sure. He'd be pretty drat good.

Edit:
He won't quadra turn all that often, but he'll beat the poo poo out of every enemy mage for their lunch money.

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

Miftan posted:

My experience with that on Maddening was that fists were never anything but useless, but that chain guard was stupidly useful, especially early on when bosses had bonkers stats and you very little to counter them.

As the maps widened up, he started falling behind just because he couldn't kill squat, so I tossed him into mage knight around chapter 20 and stapled miciah to him.

Tldr: he'll still be useful but anyone in martial master is useful in the same way. Don't expect him to kill anything.

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

Promoting Louis into a great knight.... Should I go Lance/Axe? It seems pretty fitting and I have a general lack of axe users so far through chapter 9.

Zoran
Aug 19, 2008

I lost to you once, monster. I shall not lose again! Die now, that our future can live!

Harrow posted:

Also as busted as a second Dragon Vein emblem is, a second dance emblem would be absolutely nuts.

Ahem. Azura would be a singing emblem, thank you very much

Miftan
Mar 31, 2012

Terry knows what he can do with his bloody chocolate orange...

Thanks for the replies. I think I'll already have Anna, Chloe and potentially Pandreo to beat up mages so I may as well just use Hortensia for staves and skip punching completely.

Veryslightlymad
Jun 3, 2007

I fight with
my brain
and with an
underlying
hatred of the
Erebonian
Noble Faction
Stick punching on a very fast unit with Eirika.

blizzardvizard
Sep 12, 2012

Shhh... don't wake up the sleeping lion :3:

Tender Bender posted:

Promoting Louis into a great knight.... Should I go Lance/Axe? It seems pretty fitting and I have a general lack of axe users so far through chapter 9.

Swords are for people who can double, Louis definitely would rather use an axe.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Zoran posted:

Ahem. Azura would be a singing emblem, thank you very much

Of course, I should respect her profession :hmmyes:

Tender Bender posted:

Lance/axe for sure. He does tons of damage with a Tomahawk.

jimmydalad
Sep 26, 2013

Natural 20 posted:

Wait until you get a second seal. Recruit him, immediately second seal him to axe fighter for 40 str / 20spd.

Then your call of infantry physical class with hero and warrior being the premiere options. Warrior gives you 40 str/30spd compared to 30/30 on hero but costs brave assist.

The issue with Hero is that it has literally 0% growth in defense so Jean will be even more fragile than he already is.

Notty
Jun 4, 2010

Veryslightlymad posted:

Stick punching on a very fast unit with Eirika.

This. With Eirika’s pierce and built in auto-brave, an Arts user will obliterate any colorless type attacker, most notably Thieves and Dagger Wolf Knights.

Similarly, my Framme was basically a free health bar off any caster boss without even needing Twin Strike.

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

To help your decision: a silver great axe has something like 20 might on a silver blade. Also tomahawk/hand axes give you weapon triangle control at 1-2 while actually doing damage, unlike Levin swords.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Jean is maybe the only character I’d consider making a Berserker because it gives him something like an 80% Strength growth and that’s very funny to me

Veryslightlymad
Jun 3, 2007

I fight with
my brain
and with an
underlying
hatred of the
Erebonian
Noble Faction
Louis can double some things on hard, but not many.

Axe has the benefit of having the hurricane axe, which, as a smash weapon, can still potentially hurt high defense enemies, even though Louis can't gain magic in that class without outside assistance. The Levin Sword will pretty much never be able to hurt someone on Louis.

Perfect Potato
Mar 4, 2009

Tender Bender posted:

He's too bulky and speed deficient to be swinging a dinky sword around so axe is the safer bet

jimmydalad
Sep 26, 2013

I find it hard to take Lucina off my Martial Master Framme because 100% Bonded Shield is absurdly strong.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

I love how flexible the emblem system turned out to be. There are strong reasons to use a bunch of different emblems with a bunch of different unit types and it’s really fun to play with. Eirika on Framme so she can punch through armor? Lucina so she can bonded shield? Micaiah for AoE staves (I mean Hortensia is right there but still it’d work on a monk too)? They’re all great choices

Veryslightlymad
Jun 3, 2007

I fight with
my brain
and with an
underlying
hatred of the
Erebonian
Noble Faction
Louis also has really poor native Dex, and will probably need help to actually hit anything with an axe.

Mine never misses with his spear, but I engraved it. I would have to assume any axe weapon you give him would be thirsty for an engrave.

If you make him a great knight, you're basically saying that the tiny extra movement is worth more than the bonuses that armor gives to emblems, and, in fact, so much more, that it's worth still having the armor weakness. I'm... Dubious. Movement in this game feels weaker than ever, if only because there's many, many available options to move much farther.

Veryslightlymad
Jun 3, 2007

I fight with
my brain
and with an
underlying
hatred of the
Erebonian
Noble Faction

Harrow posted:

I love how flexible the emblem system turned out to be. There are strong reasons to use a bunch of different emblems with a bunch of different unit types and it’s really fun to play with. Eirika on Framme so she can punch through armor? Lucina so she can bonded shield? Micaiah for AoE staves (I mean Hortensia is right there but still it’d work on a monk too)? They’re all great choices

It's incredible. Take Sigurd. You can stick Sigurd on a flier or cavalry unit for huge damage and unbelievable mobility. You can stick him on Louis as one of many solutions to mobility problems.

You can stick it on Seadall, so your dancer can move to the opposite side of the map..... This game lets you get really weird with it. It's basically everything I ever wanted in an FE game, sans a built in randomizer.

blizzardvizard
Sep 12, 2012

Shhh... don't wake up the sleeping lion :3:

Hortensia is my designated Lucina abuser, since she can get Dual Support bonuses from Ivy and Chloe and I made my Alear a Griffin. On Chapter 17 I just parked Ivy + Hortensia + Alear in front of Marni's ball of armor + halberdiers and Ivy blended them all to paste on EP.

(Yes Marni does have a Wyrmslayer engage attack, but a HP +5 and some Tonics on Ivy allowed her to survive it)

Notty
Jun 4, 2010
Movement is weak in the early game when you have access to Sigurd on smaller maps with weaker enemies.

All of that changes after Ch10, and you also don’t have access to the really crazy warp shenanigans until the last third of the game. You do really start to feel 4 mov in the second act of the game.

That said, it’s not a huge commitment to just play Great Knight for a bit then second to General or vice versa depending on the circumstance.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RME
Feb 20, 2012

Controversially I don’t think Louis is that good anyways. He’s definitely better than the typical early game armor and it’s not like you have a competition for deploy slots for a while but like other armors he feels worse as your team gets better. One of his biggest boons is that you can put Sigurd on him early and he’s really good but frankly I think Sigurd makes _a lot_ or characters really good
If you do want to use him long term, he has the Build to use axes but a bit of a SkillDex issue so his Hit will be in the tank a bit. This is the actual upside of swords, which is that they have really high natural hit on them, but axes are likely better because of the niche he fills. Maybe consider getting a +hit skill instead. In long term hell desperately need some way of dealing with chain attacks, but at least there’s a skill to negate those

I did promote him to great knight and ditched him pretty quick after, and I don’t think general was gonna solve my greater issues with him

One real nice thing about him early on is all the foot units only have 4 move instead of that being an Armor special. I don’t want to downplay that he is definitely really good at the start

RME fucked around with this message at 17:41 on Feb 9, 2023