Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Is that wave 2 Splatoon dlc literally just an alternative hub with only cosmetic difference from the normal hub? I'm not a Splatoon player so I couldn't tell if that's literally what it was or if that meant something else

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

John Wick of Dogs posted:

Is that wave 2 Splatoon dlc literally just an alternative hub with only cosmetic difference from the normal hub? I'm not a Splatoon player so I couldn't tell if that's literally what it was or if that meant something else

I"m assuming Wave 2 (Side Order) is the equivalent of Octo Expansion and Wave 1 is basically a pre-order bonus?

But they've definitely flubbed the marketing.

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo

Wave 2 is the DLC. It's the Octo Expansion of Splat 3. Wave 1 is like a "hey the DLC isn't coming out until later but pre-order it and get this cool reskin for the hub town". Kinda weird/funny that they decided to split it into "waves" like that.

Spellman
May 31, 2011

It looks like Inkopolis Square from the 2nd game is the location of that white-washed world in the DLC pack, maybe you can restore it for a 3rd hub world. I know there are players who prefer the old characters, mainly the squid idols. And the original music slaps

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

American McGay posted:

The lighting and textures are wild. How come every Switch game doesn’t look this good?

Retro are wizards with Nintendo hardware, their games have consistently looked a generation ahead of everything else on their respective systems

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

Soul Glo posted:

Probably gonna wait for a physical copy of MP. Really looks to be more of a remake than a remaster tbh.

Nothing’s been remade or redone the game is the same but with much better graphics, controls, and frame rate. It’s a remaster.

The Maroon Hawk
May 10, 2008

Cartoon Man posted:

Nothing’s been remade or redone the game is the same but with much better graphics, controls, and frame rate. It’s a remaster.

Kinda looks as though at least the graphical assets have been completely rebuilt from the ground up, those textures and models don't look like they just took the old assets and hit "Enhance" a bunch of times

Augus posted:

Retro are wizards with Nintendo hardware, their games have consistently looked a generation ahead of everything else on their respective systems

Put Retro in charge of every game's graphics, please and thank you

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

The Maroon Hawk posted:

Put Retro in charge of every game's graphics, please and thank you

They are but the apprentice, Monolith Soft is the master.

Muscle Tracer
Feb 23, 2007

Medals only weigh one down.

metroid loving prime

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

anatomi posted:

Who's behind the Prime Remaster? Is it Retro, or was it outsourced to some other studio?
According to the credits, Retro + Iron Galaxy + like eight different art outsourcing firms

Solaris 2.0
May 14, 2008

Augus posted:

I remember when I first played Metroid Prime on GC I was amazed that when you went under a waterfall or looked at the rain, you could see the water droplets fall on and roll off of Samus's visor.

its a minor thing, but that kind of attention to detail was unheard of then, and still exceedingly rare today. Even AAA big budget games that demand you run them on a 4090 ti or whatever for MAXIMUM FRAMES will miss little details like the rain bouncing off your gun or the glare of the sun momentarily blinding you. Those little graphical details do far more for immersion than Ray Tracing is my hot take.

*edit*

I mean FFS the game ran at 60fps on Game Cube even today most Nintendo First party games can barely crack 30pfs on Switch.

Solaris 2.0 fucked around with this message at 18:55 on Feb 9, 2023

ErrEff
Feb 13, 2012

Those rain effects on Samus' gun when you first get down to the planet... drat. It's a small thing but someone made sure that they hehave differently depending on if you're aiming straight, up or down.

RME
Feb 20, 2012

Morpheus posted:

February 22

Perfect, thanks

Lord Harbor
Apr 17, 2005
Bruce Campbell: You've stolen my heart, but you'll never take my freedom
Nap Ghost
https://twitter.com/FinalFantasy/status/1580560588979458048

Just a heads-up if you're like me and still prefer physical cartridges for big, expensive games, you will be able to upgrade the Theatrythm base game (physical or digital) to the deluxe version for those extra 27 songs.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

Man, how many times has Wispy Woods gotten his rear end/bark kicked?

Give trees a chance, jfc.

Edit: also, was there a times demo of Pikmin 4 coming? Or am I misremembering and the demo is for something else?

Dr. Cool Aids
Jul 6, 2009
cannot wait for theatrhythm. rhythm game GOAT

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo
Pikmin 3 Deluxe has a pretty meaty demo but nothing was mentioned about a possible Pikmin 4 demo.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
Best part of the direct was the Layton announcement.

The Maroon Hawk
May 10, 2008

Waltzing Along posted:

Best part of the direct was the Layton announcement.

all five seconds of it lmao

Waffle!
Aug 6, 2004

I Feel Pretty!

The Maroon Hawk posted:

all five seconds of it lmao

By the time I remembered who it was it was over.

WarpDogs
May 1, 2009

I'm just a normal, functioning member of the human race, and there's no way anyone can prove otherwise.

Evil Fluffy posted:

They are but the apprentice, Monolith Soft is the master.

Monolith are the true masters of scale, no argument, but Retro has a technical command of graphics and art design that is really unmatched

Tropical Freeze is one of the most graphically indulgent games I've ever had the pleasure of playing, and it's "just" a side scrolling Donkey Kong game. That's insane! Everything they touch turns beautiful

Waffle!
Aug 6, 2004

I Feel Pretty!

They better port Donkey Kong '94 to the Gameboy app. It was so good!

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo

Waffle! posted:

They better port Donkey Kong '94 to the Gameboy app. It was so good!
I just played through it for Impmas and it's incredible. Possibly one of the best video games of all time, and introduces the most satisfying bit of Mario movement tech ever envisioned, the side flip jump.

That said they'd have to code it with Super Game Boy support which seems unlike something Nintendo would be willing to go out of their way and do.

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
DK94 is in my top five games of all a time, a tremendous game. Mario VS DK for the GBA was such a disappointment ugliest first party game imo

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

American McGay posted:

Pikmin 3 Deluxe has a pretty meaty demo but nothing was mentioned about a possible Pikmin 4 demo.

What was the game that said it was going to have a limited time demo, starting Feb 20th?

Edit: I think it was Katamari.

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo
You’re probably thinking of We Love Katamari, which also advertised that the FIRST Katamari remaster would be available for one of the NSO weekend rental things.

Big Bizness
Jun 19, 2019

DK running off the construction yard and into the way more graphically detailed Big City in DK94 is an all time gamer moment

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo
It’s possible that TOTK is simply $70 because they couldn’t fit it on a 16GB cart and not indicative of some larger shift wrt pricing.

KingSlime
Mar 20, 2007
Wake up with the Kin-OH GOD WHAT IS THAT?!
Where's my discount for going digital, Nintendo??

That tracks though it wouldn't be the first time standard MSRP is affected by higher manufacturing costs for a specific video game only

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!
Would the voucher work for Etrian Odyssey or is the full thing classes as a 'multi game bundle'

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
the digital discount is that they brought back vouchers

Palmtree Panic
Jul 28, 2007

He has no style, he has no grace

Macdeo Lurjtux posted:

Would the voucher work for Etrian Odyssey or is the full thing classes as a 'multi game bundle'

Only Nintendo published titles are eligible for the vouchers.

KingSlime
Mar 20, 2007
Wake up with the Kin-OH GOD WHAT IS THAT?!

hatty posted:

the digital discount is that they brought back vouchers

Fair enough, I didn't love the concept because I rarely want to buy two full price games around the same time but I'm definitely getting vouchers this time around

Alan_Shore
Dec 2, 2004

I won't be buying THEATRHYTHM for alas I've never played a FF game and don't know the music

An Actual Princess
Dec 23, 2006

Alan_Shore posted:

I won't be buying THEATRHYTHM for alas I've never played a FF game and don't know the music

mods?

Potassium Problems
Sep 28, 2001

Alan_Shore posted:

what the gently caress

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

Alan_Shore posted:

Jesus christ

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real

American McGay posted:

It’s possible that TOTK is simply $70 because they couldn’t fit it on a 16GB cart and not indicative of some larger shift wrt pricing.

Alright... looks like I am buying physical instead of messing with vouchers. I simply have no more internal storage left for large games like this on my Switch, and upgrading my memory card negates any cost savings

Looper
Mar 1, 2012
NINTENDOOOOOOOOOO

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.

Alan_Shore posted:

Play the demo anyway, music loving slaps even if you've never played any of them.

That's a franchise with some strong loving tunes.