Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Who's your 2022 MVP?
This poll is closed.
Shohei Ohtani 50 59.52%
Aaron Judge 19 22.62%
Hey, the national league has an MVP too you know! 15 17.86%
Total: 84 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006
considering this is almost certainly Darvish’s last pro contract he was probably much more bothered by the overall dollar amount than the years

and if San Diego are going to hand out $100M in total then it makes sense to do it over 6 years rather than 3 or 4

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

I'm happy for Yu he seems like a nice guy who just likes throwing baseballs.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

https://twitter.com/brianmctaggart/status/1623763012216668160

Lol it's such a bad sponsor. Other notes from today's Astros presser:

Gold jerseys for opening day and Opening Day 2: The Day After Opening Day. Rings before game2 , replica rings on Wednesdays. Dunno if that's every wednesday or just select. The teams slogan this year is

which is terrible.

Oh and Dana Brown says the team is nearing extensions with a number of players and also that they are investing heavily into scouting, which is weird because I heard the Astros were gutting all that.

https://twitter.com/brianmctaggart/status/1623766187162181634

He's a freakin genious!!

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

zoux posted:

https://twitter.com/brianmctaggart/status/1623763012216668160

Lol it's such a bad sponsor. Other notes from today's Astros presser:

Gold jerseys for opening day and Opening Day 2: The Day After Opening Day. Rings before game2 , replica rings on Wednesdays. Dunno if that's every wednesday or just select. The teams slogan this year is

which is terrible.

Oh and Dana Brown says the team is nearing extensions with a number of players and also that they are investing heavily into scouting, which is weird because I heard the Astros were gutting all that.

https://twitter.com/brianmctaggart/status/1623766187162181634

He's a freakin genious!!

they should drive the astros' team bus off a cliff tbh

metaphorically

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

I got a taste for blown saves

zoux posted:

"In conclusion I would have paid Springer and Correa and Cole"

Tucker and Framber are the main ones to lock up, no? I guess Javier has three years left, could lock him up early if you really believe in him

e: I guess Bregman and Altuve both only have two years left on their deals

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

https://twitter.com/CurtoWorld/status/1623769754065588224

The robots aren't programmed for arguing yet

elentar
Aug 26, 2002

Every single year the Ivy League takes a break from fucking up the world through its various alumni to fuck up everyone's bracket instead.

Sounds like they’re sponsored by OxyContin.

zoux posted:

Doing that Anthopoulos poo poo, though this time not for a rebuilding org but one that is obviously competitive but in danger of letting that slip away.

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

zoux posted:

https://twitter.com/CurtoWorld/status/1623769754065588224

You're not fooling me with that obvious fake account :colbert:

elentar posted:

Sounds like they’re sponsored by OxyContin.

I honestly never thought about it much other than to think it was weird that all these years the Astros had a prominent ad for a pimple pad company in left field :cripes:

To be fair I never heard of Oxy energy until the patch recently

Intruder fucked around with this message at 21:35 on Feb 9, 2023

Kevlar v2.0
Dec 25, 2003

=^•⩊•^=

zoux posted:

https://infiniteconversation.com/

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Intruder posted:

You're not fooling me with that obvious fake account :colbert:

I honestly never thought about it much other than to think it was weird that all these years the Astros had a prominent ad for a pimple pad company in left field :cripes:

To be fair I never heard of Oxy energy until the patch recently

It stands for "Occidental Energy", and I'm sure they're super glad that they have that common moniker now. I guess it could be worse.

GalacticAcid
Apr 8, 2013

NEW YORK VALUES
Well troops I’m ready for base ball season

Good Dog
Oct 16, 2008

Who threw this cat at me?
Clapping Larry
I bought a new Angels hat last week that is (mostly) identical to my last one that I wore nearly daily for the last 10 years that is faded and falling apart. They had 2 winning seasons in that time, making the playoffs once and not winning a single playoff game.

Ready for more of the same poo poo.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Do yall think pitchers and catchers have stress dreams where they forgot to report and they gotta do a bullpen but they can't remember what stadium it's at?

Actually I cannot imagine how bad pro athletes stress dreams are.

Good Dog
Oct 16, 2008

Clapping Larry
Do you think guys that have been retired for a decade dream that they forgot that they were supposed to be starting that day? They obviously don't suffer from the phantom college final equivalent like the rest of us.

AlbertFlasher
Feb 14, 2006

Hulk Hogan and the Wrestling Boot Band

GalacticAcid posted:

Gerblederp
Dec 4, 2009

GalacticAcid posted:

Good Dog
Oct 16, 2008

Clapping Larry
I'm ready to watch Trout play in the most meaningful games he'll have in his whole career. Only a month away. :toot:

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006
Trout's getting traded??

Tony Phillips
Feb 9, 2006
Beltre repeatedly dreamt about getting to the ballpark and forgetting his cup. Then he went out and made his dreams a reality cause that's what a hall of famer does.

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

zoux posted:

Do yall think pitchers and catchers have stress dreams where they forgot to report and they gotta do a bullpen but they can't remember what stadium it's at?

Actually I cannot imagine how bad pro athletes stress dreams are.

If it's like my stress dreams regarding school they find themselves on their high school or college team and realize they haven't been to practice all season or something

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

You can't make Bregs model that, he's from New Mexico

Honestly if I didn't know what that company was I'd assume it was a laundry detergent concern

e: goddamn that is a huge loving patch

https://twitter.com/Ken_Rosenthal/status/1623796752561078281

Also that'll take Boba Chett through his arb period

zoux fucked around with this message at 22:53 on Feb 9, 2023

rickiep00h
Aug 16, 2010

BATDANCE

Good Dog posted:

Do you think guys that have been retired for a decade dream that they forgot that they were supposed to be starting that day? They obviously don't suffer from the phantom college final equivalent like the rest of us.

Dock Ellis didn't have to dream it! He lived it! (In a dream-like state, mind.)

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.

zoux posted:

You can't make Bregs model that, he's from New Mexico

Honestly if I didn't know what that company was I'd assume it was a laundry detergent concern

e: goddamn that is a huge loving patch

:barf::barf::barf::barf::barf::barf:

Red
Apr 15, 2003

Yeah, great at getting us into Wawa.
Did the Yankees ever find someone to sponsor their patch? I can't imagine the Yankees are actually going to do it

Kevlar v2.0
Dec 25, 2003

=^•⩊•^=

I thought maybe Houston embraced their villain role and partnered with the opioid epidemic.

Johnny Bravo
Jan 19, 2011

Julio Cruz posted:

Trout's getting traded??

no but he's gonna unleash 10 years of built up rage on the angels when they play team USA

KICK BAMA KICK
Mar 2, 2009

:siren: f/k/a Mike Soroka now prefers to go by Michael :siren:

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

Sydin posted:

Oh I guess the Cubs also traded for Zach Davies, who on top of sucking total rear end completely cut off all contact with his wife while with the Cubs so he could have an affair.

So an inverse Zobrist?

live with fruit
Aug 15, 2010

Sydin posted:

Oh I guess the Cubs also traded for Zach Davies, who on top of sucking total rear end completely cut off all contact with his wife while with the Cubs so he could have an affair.

Salvaging the Darvish trade.

BigDumper
Feb 15, 2008

That looks like a bullseye, pitchers are going to subconsciously aim for that thing with right handed batters.

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

BigDumper posted:

That looks like a bullseye, pitchers are going to subconsciously aim for that thing with right handed batters.

It goes on the other shoulder for lefties so it's always visible so targets for them too

I assume switch hitters have to change jerseys when they change sides or just have it on both sides

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

I can’t believe how commercialized baseball has become

uggy
Aug 6, 2006

Posting is SERIOUS BUSINESS
and I am completely joyless

Don't make me judge you
I know they just added commercial breaks and I’m dying

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Apparently pitchers who are playing in the WBC have to report to ST by this coming Monday, so baseball is just days away

General Bullshit
Apr 20, 2020

Kevlar v2.0 posted:

I thought maybe Houston embraced their villain role and partnered with the opioid epidemic.

Oil company is in the same tier.

Sab0921
Aug 2, 2004

This for my justices slingin' thangs, rib breakin' kings / Truck, necklace, robe, gavel and things / For the solicitors seein' them dissents spin and grin / That robe with the lace trim that win.

mcmagic posted:

they should drive the astros' team bus off a cliff tbh

metaphorically

https://twitter.com/TheFinnFTW/status/1623816168954814468?t=DIQ7f-9LhCqs_EmYmLDm2w&s=19

LonesomeCrowdedWest
May 8, 2008
The Dominican WBC team is stacked y’all

Spoeank
Jul 16, 2003

That's a nice set of 11 dynasty points there, it would be a shame if 3 rings were to happen with it
On today's Effectively Wild they interview Joe West who confirms he did in fact do the Wikipedia edits

SilvergunSuperman
Aug 7, 2010

Woa really blew the lid off that mystery

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

camoseven
Dec 30, 2005

RODOLPHONE RINGIN'
I already don't even notice the ad patches. They suck but it's 2023 in hellworld, you gotta tune that poo poo out and work towards the overthrow of the capitalist system