Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Plebian Parasite
Oct 12, 2012

Golden Sun really felt like a worse Lufia II, which is fine because Lufia II is spectacular, and having a tiny handheld version of that was great.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

P-Mack
Nov 10, 2007

It's cool that the only thing I've ever seen Lufia I praised for is the prologue bit where you play as the party from Lufia II

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

P-Mack posted:

It's cool that the only thing I've ever seen Lufia I praised for is the prologue bit where you play as the party from Lufia II

yup lol

That Little Demon
Dec 3, 2020
The dungeon in lufia 1 was cool

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Plebian Parasite posted:

Golden Sun really felt like a worse Lufia II, which is fine because Lufia II is spectacular, and having a tiny handheld version of that was great.

Hmm that makes me want to play them since Lufia II rules

grieving for Gandalf
Apr 22, 2008

I was a big Golden Sun head when I was a kid and my first message board was actually one devoted to a fangame for it. now that I'm older I can recognize how fuckin talky it is but I think all the environmental puzzle stuff holds up

Sub-Actuality
Apr 17, 2007

Golden Sun was awesome but I remember even when I was super into it I was annoyed at how agonizingly long and slow the dialogues were

grieving for Gandalf
Apr 22, 2008

Sub-Actuality posted:

Golden Sun was awesome but I remember even when I was super into it I was annoyed at how agonizingly long and slow the dialogues were

you know what, it's not even the actual text it's all the :( little pop-up emoticons they use between them

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

Golden Sun balances on a knife's edge, where if you want to like it, you can, but if you are sensitive to its deficiencies, they will ruin it for you. Don't play the third one.

...but is it art?

I got the tude now
Jul 22, 2007
also in GS if your target in combat dies your turn is wasted instead of just retargeting, something devs should be publicly excecuted for

Hitlersaurus Christ
Oct 14, 2005

Lunchmeat Larry posted:

The music and graphics kicked rear end. Some of the summon animations were super impressive for the GBA

Yeah! Even the particle effects that caused slowdown during the battles looked better than most of what came later.

Bongo Bill posted:

Golden Sun balances on a knife's edge, where if you want to like it, you can, but if you are sensitive to its deficiencies, they will ruin it for you. Don't play the third one.
Man, I wanted to like the third one so much. The gameplay itself wasn’t bad but the story just went nowhere and the extra party members had barely any backstory or personality.

Plebian Parasite
Oct 12, 2012

lol it teases a bigger mystery all game and then it goes nowhere and there will never be a sequel

Hitlersaurus Christ
Oct 14, 2005

Despite all the issues I still kind of hope they make a final game someday. I’m sure it would suck too but I hate cliffhangers so much

sockpuppetclock
Sep 12, 2010
for the longest time I thought Golden Sun was that GBA JRPG that had an actual sunlight sensor in the cartridge as a gimmick but i just found out 2 minutes ago that in fact I was thinking of this game

Plebian Parasite
Oct 12, 2012

the sunlight sensor is a hassle but boktai is a kojima game

Sub-Actuality
Apr 17, 2007

grieving for Gandalf posted:

you know what, it's not even the actual text it's all the :( little pop-up emoticons they use between them

yep lol

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

I got the tude now posted:

also in GS if your target in combat dies your turn is wasted instead of just retargeting, something devs should be publicly excecuted for

Wtf that problem was solved for like over a decade by the time GS came out

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

Hitlersaurus Christ posted:

Despite all the issues I still kind of hope they make a final game someday. I’m sure it would suck too but I hate cliffhangers so much

It should be a legal requirement to reveal what the plot was going to be if your franchise ends on a cliffhanger and doesn't get a sequel after like 10-15 years

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

Plebian Parasite posted:

Is that where the sunlight gun in mgs4 comes from? Also lol that it’s useless for most of the game due to it being indoors, nighttime, or cloudy

Thanks Pablo and Sub-Actuality for the great sigs!

I got the tude now
Jul 22, 2007

Pablo Nergigante posted:

Wtf that problem was solved for like over a decade by the time GS came out

a lot of the systems feel like this. just full of problems that someone else solved years ago. the djinn are cool, they buff your stats passively but you can also activate them for a unique spell effect, but then they go on cooldown for a period of time and you lose the stats until theyh're off cooldown. you also use multiple djinn at a time to summon. and your character's class is based on a combination of djinn (that are in 4 elemental classes) but none of the classes are as good (not even close) as the class when you have exclusively the character's element of djinn.

I got the tude now
Jul 22, 2007

EmmyOk posted:

Is that where the sunlight gun in mgs4 comes from? Also lol that it’s useless for most of the game due to it being indoors, nighttime, or cloudy

yeah

absolutely anything
Dec 28, 2006

~As for dreams, she has enough and more to spare~
boktai is ftw. lets all buy boktai cartridges and play it for game club

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

Plebian Parasite posted:

in MGS4 there was a sunlight gun you could get in NG+. if you reloaded you had to be in a sunny spot, then solid snake would yell SUNLIGHT excitedly

----------------
This thread brought to you by a tremendous dickhead!

absolutely anything
Dec 28, 2006

~As for dreams, she has enough and more to spare~

extremebuff posted:

in MGS4 there was a sunlight gun you could get in NG+. if you reloaded you had to be in a sunny spot, then solid snake would yell SUNLIGHT excitedly

:goofy:

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

a lot of the systems feel like this. just full of problems that someone else solved years ago. the djinn are cool, they buff your stats passively but you can also activate them for a unique spell effect, but then they go on cooldown for a period of time and you lose the stats until theyh're off cooldown. you also use multiple djinn at a time to summon. and your character's class is based on a combination of djinn (that are in 4 elemental classes) but none of the classes are as good (not even close) as the class when you have exclusively the character's element of djinn.

I remember there being some really good "hidden" classes like... ninja? But gently caress knows how you were supposed to find them without a guide. Playing 2 without a guide was utterly miserable in general though, I'm sure there's one part where they just give you the boat and say "go find three parts of a trident to access the next dungeon. They're all somewhere lol" and sets you free on the world map with no further direction. And not in a fun cool way like that maybe sounds

I got the tude now
Jul 22, 2007

Lunchmeat Larry posted:

I remember there being some really good "hidden" classes like... ninja? But gently caress knows how you were supposed to find them without a guide. Playing 2 without a guide was utterly miserable in general though, I'm sure there's one part where they just give you the boat and say "go find three parts of a trident to access the next dungeon. They're all somewhere lol" and sets you free on the world map with no further direction. And not in a fun cool way like that maybe sounds

yeah the stuff in GS all sounds good on paper. i played a lot of both and really enjoyed navigating the world esp finding coins for the minigame in atlantis

Tato
Jun 19, 2001

DIRECTIVE 236: Promote pro-social values

What the gently caress. The first one came out in 2001. Execution is too good for that. Prolonged and agonizing torture is justified.

770e4133fe864efdb5a3d5860573ed6c

I got the tude now
Jul 22, 2007

Tato posted:

What the gently caress. The first one came out in 2001. Execution is too good for that. Prolonged and agonizing torture is justified.

there are 1/256 drop rate items and you cant mash through combat. it's cruelty

Plebian Parasite
Oct 12, 2012

EmmyOk posted:

it would be a good gc game only because a few emulators have built in adjustible sunlight simulators.

Good soup!
Nov 2, 2010

I'd kill for a pixel remaster take on Lufia 1 and 2

Plebian Parasite
Oct 12, 2012

Good soup! posted:

There is a lufia 2 remake for the DS and it is legitimately one of the worst games I've ever played.

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

Plebian Parasite posted:

There is a lufia 2 remake for the DS and it is legitimately one of the worst games I've ever played.

really just awful game, top to bottom

bees x1000
Jun 11, 2020

Good soup! posted:

there's hope that the team behind the Natsume remakes will get to Lufia eventually.

Good soup!
Nov 2, 2010

Plebian Parasite posted:

Fungah! posted:

really just awful game, top to bottom

Wait what the gently caress

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WmV268cuCT0

lmao what is this dollar store Ys looking garbage combat, get the gently caress out of here

Sub-Actuality
Apr 17, 2007

I have never played a Lufia

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

Sub-Actuality posted:

2 is the only good one but it's really good

Good soup!
Nov 2, 2010

And it's a prequel so you absolutely do not need to play the first one, which has aged terribly

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦

Good soup! posted:

Wait what the gently caress

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WmV268cuCT0

lmao what is this dollar store Ys looking garbage combat, get the gently caress out of here

Yeah I was gonna say this looks like someone really amateurishly tried to make their own Ys Seven (a good game)

bees x1000
Jun 11, 2020

Sub-Actuality posted:

Earthbound
Final Fantasy 6
Chrono Trigger
Super Mario RPG
Lufia II

it hangs with the very best on the system and absolutely should be a game club pick one of these days

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

Next person with the gc selection pick boktai thanks

Thanks Pablo and Sub-Actuality for the great sigs!