Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tom Smykowski
Jan 27, 2005

What the hell is wrong with you people?

New Leaf posted:

Climbing the ranks becomes tedious.

Thread title

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RevKrule
Jul 9, 2001

Thrilling the forums since 2001

Thanks Daily Bugle for hooking me up with my opponent's Galactus and thanks White Queen for giving me their Death.

Had Aero primed and ready for turn 5 if I had priority and Shang Chi and Devil Dino (along with Death obvs) ready for if I didn't.

Also it's incredibly frustrating how much aggressive retreating I'm seeing in the low 40s on the ladder. Played 10 matches this morning and only one wasn't a retreat (which is even more hilarious because I Agent 13 hosed me over and pulled Agatha and boy am I surprised I won that one).

RevKrule
Jul 9, 2001

Not to double post but get rekt Galactoid loser!

I realized last night that some of my fave variants are in my Devil Dino deck (chibi Agent 13, winter Dino, baby Mags) so I started playing that last night after getting the Artgerm White Queen and man, this deck is much better as high level disruption than a straight Dino deck. Quinjet is also such a clutch loving card. Mags T5 and 6? Sure! Aero T5 and then Aero + Mr Fantastic on T6? You bet!

poo poo, just theorycraft thinking here but if I have Quinjet out on 1, I can Moon Girl on 4, Aero away from a lane on 5 then drop a surprise 2 cost Kingpin and 4 cost Aero on 6. Seems like a LOT of things have to go right but absolutely satisfying if you can make it work.

New Leaf
Jul 24, 2013

Dragon Balls? Are they tasty?
We were playing the exact same deck with the exact same hands with less than ideal locations.. Ended in a tie, as it should.

The Sean
Apr 17, 2005

Am I handsome now?

Alright, so my deck I hit Inifnite with twice:

Sub in She Hulk for Shuri if you don't have her. The deck works fine.

Okoye & Scorpion (2) - Both great 2 drops that are like ying and yang to eachother. If given the choice always choose Scorpion. Otherwise, Okoye can help Panther become either 10/20/40 power instead of 8/16/32 (as long as you haven't already drawn him that is. Both of these cards pretty much only ever be dropped on T2.

Electro - Enables the rest of the deck. It is still very possible without having played him, though. Either way, his downside of only playing one card per turn is not a big deal because that's exactly what you want anyways.

Jubilee - Obviously amazing at pulling out huge cards. It is essential, though, to keep track of the low cost cards to see if they have come out yet. Even if you don't memorize them early, just remember "2, 2, 3" and if you haven't seen them all then you don't want to play her. She is great for reaching lanes that don't allow cards to stay (destroy on play, return to hand, etc.).

Shuri - Don't play Jubilee after her since it's a waste. Be mindful, too, that Dino's actual power is three so you're only getting an extra 3 power if you play this after Shuri; waste of time imo. Even if you have Electro out and can play one of your 5 costs--don't--just play Shuri. Don't worry about the "wasted" energy.

Dino - I barely use this. It's still a good card but of the heavy hitters he's the weakest (usually 11 or 13 compared to 14+). Mostly just a good Jubilee pull. Again, don't waste Shuri on him.

Panther - One of the key cards. Pretty self explanatory.

Spider Woman - A good Jubilee pull or a decent Shuri receiver.

Odin - So many good targets: Jubilee, Panther, Shuri, Spiderwoman. Dropping Odin on Shuri brings him to 16 and you get the effect again on your next play.

Zola - Key. It's a nice fakeout to drop it by itself since it looks like you messed up, but then play Odin there to get two Odins elsewhere. Or put a card on Bar With No Name (less power wins) and then bounce it away and end up with 0 power (or -1 since Scorpion is so common). Manage your lanes so that you can 100% copy the card that you want. This also is a way to reach inaccessible lanes. I prefer this over Taskmaster since the latter only borrows the power whereas a lot of the cards in the deck benefit from being Revealed again.

Giganto - It is very important to just leave the left lane open if you can help it. Having only him there gives a backup Zola target and you won't have to worry about rng grabbing the wrong card.

Infinaut - Synergy with Electro and Jubilee. I rarely actually play him myself.

Nice plays:
Shuri -> Odin on Shuri -> Panther/Giganto
Shuri -> Panther -> Zola
Shuri -> Giganto -> Zola
Panther -> Zola -> Odin
Zola -> Odin
T5 Infinaut -> Zola
Spider Woman -> Odin/Zola
Electro -> go hog wild

Piloting:
Again, it is extremely important to manage lanes. Skipping turns is very common (this is why She Hulk works if you have to use her). Sometimes I don't put any cards down until T4 or T5. If you pull your 2, 2, or 3 drop later in the game don't put them down even if you have the energy--just don't. The 12 spots for cards are a resource in and of itself. Even if you play these late game followed by Odin they're all pretty much a waste. Keep your Zola target by itself (in most cases). Keep the left lane open just in case for Giganto (break the rule sparingly).

Memorize the rules for above and you will barely have to deviate. Again, even if you're not the type to memorize your list or have a reference handy please keep track of how many of the 3 cards that cost 2-3 are left in your deck; you don't even have to memorize what cards they are. What I really enjoy is that no card is really necessary and this has many paths to victory.

Cubes:
I've posted a mini-guide on this before. Never ever snap on the first two turns or the last one, ever (if you are trying to earn cubes). If you're just learning the deck then I recommend finishing out to T6 every time until you get a feel for it. Many, many people let cubes get up to 8 and they're easy to snatch up with T6 Zola. Other than that bounce without hesitation when you don't know* if you're going to win or not. Don't take risks. If you do lose, you should probably have a lesson to learn and you largely should not be surprised at a loss.

Threats:
Obviously Shang and Cosmo, though I see them far less than I used to. Many players will Shang early on (like dummies) giving you a quick out. Cosmo? Retreat. Wong? If they follow up with Mystique or White Tiger just leave. Most other situations are fine with him. This deck doesn't care about Discard or Patriot decks. Apocalypse can sometimes be a problem but thankfully you will know exactly how much power he has in most situations.

Substitutions:
She Hulk [Edit: or He Hulk but i think She is better) can swap in for Shuri if you don't have her. Shuri definitely is the better choice but I got into the high 90s last season without Shuri; I only used her on the last day of my climb. Psylocke is a trap; I know ramp is part of the deck's core but please trust that it's useless here. I explained above why I don't use Taskmaster.

*On knowing if you're going to win or not: you will get a feel for this instinctively after enough matches. Interestingly, your subconscious will learn this before your active brain does; trust your gut.

quote:

Participants are presented with four virtual decks of cards on a computer screen. They are told that each deck holds cards that will either reward or penalize them, using game money. The goal of the game is to win as much money as possible.

Unbeknownst to the participant, the decks differ from each other in the balance of reward versus penalty cards. Thus, some decks are "bad decks", and other decks are "good decks", because some decks will tend to reward the player more often than other decks. Participants are not told that the two "bad" decks have larger rewards and larger or more frequent penalties.

On balance, the penalties in the "bad" decks outweigh the higher rewards they give. Therefore, participants should choose the decks with smaller rewards, as they will also give significantly fewer penalties and give a better long-term payout.

Most healthy participants sample cards from each deck, and after about 40 or 50 selections are fairly effective at identifying and sticking to the good decks.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Iowa_gambling_task

edit:
I am Marvel Snap Bot in the game. If you play my deck and see me please give me an Aaarrrggghhh emote to say hi (spiderman point is too common).

The Sean fucked around with this message at 18:53 on Feb 10, 2023

Kaddish
Feb 7, 2002
Thanks for the write-up. I'm thinking about trying this but subbing in either Magneto or perhaps Red Skull for Giganto.

The Sean
Apr 17, 2005

Am I handsome now?

Kaddish posted:

Thanks for the write-up. I'm thinking about trying this but subbing in either Magneto or perhaps Red Skull for Giganto.

Cool. Let me know. I still don't have Magneto yet.

Push El Burrito
May 9, 2006

Soiled Meat
Currently stuck in a game, won't time out, keeps saying "reconnecting account" every 20 or so seconds, turn won't end, I can't retreat, and if I force close the app and open it back up it just wants me to reconnect to that game. Finally beat the game I think.

wyoak
Feb 14, 2005

a glass case of emotion

Fallen Rib

Push El Burrito posted:

Currently stuck in a game, won't time out, keeps saying "reconnecting account" every 20 or so seconds, turn won't end, I can't retreat, and if I force close the app and open it back up it just wants me to reconnect to that game. Finally beat the game I think.
new lord chaos card, annoying but a bit underpowered

FlyingCowOfDoom
Aug 1, 2003

let the beat drop

Push El Burrito posted:

Have had this happen a few times, just gotta wait like 20-30 minutes and reboot app and it will work.

Snazzy Frocks
Mar 31, 2003

Scratchmo
This might be a tale as old as time but it turns out when there's a coin flip to place my final card compared to where the enemy places theirs I feel like I can't help but pick the wrong one.

Or perhaps the enemy just picks the right one??

Psikotik
Dec 17, 2002

Random more like ranDUMB
College Slice

The Sean posted:

Alright, so my deck I hit Inifnite with twice:

Sub in She Hulk for Shuri if you don't have her. The deck works fine.

Okoye & Scorpion (2) - Both great 2 drops that are like ying and yang to eachother. If given the choice always choose Scorpion. Otherwise, Okoye can help Panther become either 10/20/40 power instead of 8/16/32 (as long as you haven't already drawn him that is. Both of these cards pretty much only ever be dropped on T2.

Electro - Enables the rest of the deck. It is still very possible without having played him, though. Either way, his downside of only playing one card per turn is not a big deal because that's exactly what you want anyways.

Jubilee - Obviously amazing at pulling out huge cards. It is essential, though, to keep track of the low cost cards to see if they have come out yet. Even if you don't memorize them early, just remember "2, 2, 3" and if you haven't seen them all then you don't want to play her. She is great for reaching lanes that don't allow cards to stay (destroy on play, return to hand, etc.).

Shuri - Don't play Jubilee after her since it's a waste. Be mindful, too, that Dino's actual power is three so you're only getting an extra 3 power if you play this after Shuri; waste of time imo. Even if you have Electro out and can play one of your 5 costs--don't--just play Shuri. Don't worry about the "wasted" energy.

Dino - I barely use this. It's still a good card but of the heavy hitters he's the weakest (usually 11 or 13 compared to 14+). Mostly just a good Jubilee pull. Again, don't waste Shuri on him.

Panther - One of the key cards. Pretty self explanatory.

Spider Woman - A good Jubilee pull or a decent Shuri receiver.

Odin - So many good targets: Jubilee, Panther, Shuri, Spiderwoman. Dropping Odin on Shuri brings him to 16 and you get the effect again on your next play.

Zola - Key. It's a nice fakeout to drop it by itself since it looks like you messed up, but then play Odin there to get two Odins elsewhere. Or put a card on Bar With No Name (less power wins) and then bounce it away and end up with 0 power (or -1 since Scorpion is so common). Manage your lanes so that you can 100% copy the card that you want. This also is a way to reach inaccessible lanes. I prefer this over Taskmaster since the latter only borrows the power whereas a lot of the cards in the deck benefit from being Revealed again.

Giganto - It is very important to just leave the left lane open if you can help it. Having only him there gives a backup Zola target and you won't have to worry about rng grabbing the wrong card.

Infinaut - Synergy with Electro and Jubilee. I rarely actually play him myself.

Nice plays:
Shuri -> Odin on Shuri -> Panther/Giganto
Shuri -> Panther -> Zola
Shuri -> Giganto -> Zola
Panther -> Zola -> Odin
Zola -> Odin
T5 Infinaut -> Zola
Spider Woman -> Odin/Zola
Electro -> go hog wild

Piloting:
Again, it is extremely important to manage lanes. Skipping turns is very common (this is why She Hulk works if you have to use her). Sometimes I don't put any cards down until T4 or T5. If you pull your 2, 2, or 3 drop later in the game don't put them down even if you have the energy--just don't. The 12 spots for cards are a resource in and of itself. Even if you play these late game followed by Odin they're all pretty much a waste. Keep your Zola target by itself (in most cases). Keep the left lane open just in case for Giganto (break the rule sparingly).

Memorize the rules for above and you will barely have to deviate. Again, even if you're not the type to memorize your list or have a reference handy please keep track of how many of the 3 cards that cost 2-3 are left in your deck; you don't even have to memorize what cards they are. What I really enjoy is that no card is really necessary and this has many paths to victory.

Cubes:
I've posted a mini-guide on this before. Never ever snap on the first two turns or the last one, ever (if you are trying to earn cubes). If you're just learning the deck then I recommend finishing out to T6 every time until you get a feel for it. Many, many people let cubes get up to 8 and they're easy to snatch up with T6 Zola. Other than that bounce without hesitation when you don't know* if you're going to win or not. Don't take risks. If you do lose, you should probably have a lesson to learn and you largely should not be surprised at a loss.

Threats:
Obviously Shang and Cosmo, though I see them far less than I used to. Many players will Shang early on (like dummies) giving you a quick out. Cosmo? Retreat. Wong? If they follow up with Mystique or White Tiger just leave. Most other situations are fine with him. This deck doesn't care about Discard or Patriot decks. Apocalypse can sometimes be a problem but thankfully you will know exactly how much power he has in most situations.

Substitutions:
She Hulk can swap in for Shuri if you don't have her. Shuri definitely is the better choice but I got into the high 90s last season without Shuri; I only used her on the last day of my climb. Psylocke is a trap; I know ramp is part of the deck's core but please trust that it's useless here. I explained above why I don't use Taskmaster.

*On knowing if you're going to win or not: you will get a feel for this instinctively after enough matches. Interestingly, your subconscious will learn this before your active brain does; trust your gut.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Iowa_gambling_task

edit:
I am Marvel Snap Bot in the game. If you play my deck and see me please give me an Aaarrrggghhh emote to say hi (spiderman point is too common).

This deck is stupid good and made 40-50 smooth as silk. Seeing just how far I can climb today!

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I'm a doctor, but that doesn't make me a doctor. This fancy avatar does.
Man, this game needs some serious UI/UX improvements.

1) Let me have a way to see my discarded/destroyed cards. Sometimes you look away at JUST that exact instant a card goes bye-bye. Especially for Yondu where the card wasn't ever in your hand or field of play to notice first.

2) How come the only time I can set a Variant as a "favorite" is when I first get it? Give me the option in my regular card view to also set it as favorite/replace it in all my decks.

3) It needs to stop de-selecting the "Show all variants" option in the card list filter when I change the sorting.

Edit: Oh, I guess I can do #2 from that little square icon on the left in the card view menu. Didn't notice that before. Disregard that complaint.

DrBouvenstein fucked around with this message at 17:59 on Feb 10, 2023

Pixeltendo
Mar 2, 2012

Did they add a fast forward screen to this update? My opponent played Odin on Bar Sinister and a screen showed up for that

The Sean
Apr 17, 2005

Am I handsome now?

Psikotik posted:

This deck is stupid good and made 40-50 smooth as silk. Seeing just how far I can climb today!

Awesome. I'm curious to see how it works out. Are you using Shuri or Shulk?

DrBouvenstein posted:

2) How come the only time I can set a Variant as a "favorite" is when I first get it? Give me the option in my regular card view to also set it as favorite/replace it in all my decks.

In the Collection menu click on any card you have multiples of. In the bottom left you will see a symbol of 4 rectangles grouped together. It will then bring up a list of all of the variants and you can change the favorite by clicking the star.

Pixeltendo posted:

Did they add a fast forward screen to this update? My opponent played Odin on Bar Sinister and a screen showed up for that

I first saw this about 2+ weeks ago.

RevKrule
Jul 9, 2001

The Sean posted:

words words words
lol. This deck be spicy. Much more consistent than other Shuri rampy decks I've been trying.

When someone snaps after Mirror Dimension gives 2 Sanctum Santorums, run. otherwise you're looking at this situation.

^burtle
Jul 17, 2001

God of Boomin'

pulled Absorbing Man and Super Skrull back to back. i wonder if today is my last day.

Psikotik
Dec 17, 2002

Random more like ranDUMB
College Slice

The Sean posted:

In the Collection menu click on any card you have multiples of. In the bottom left you will see a symbol of 4 rectangles grouped together. It will then bring up a list of all of the variants and you can change the favorite by clicking the star.

I first saw this about 2+ weeks ago.

Shuri

Sandwolf
Jan 23, 2007

i'll be harpo

I just got Bast which is sick because apparently she’s mad useful, but uhhhh, in what?

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

HA! HA! NICE! WHAT A TOOL!

Sandwolf posted:

I just got Bast which is sick because apparently she’s mad useful, but uhhhh, in what?
She makes mr negative a deck you can actually play. And then a whole bunch of memes (c3 in its entirety).

RevKrule
Jul 9, 2001

Sandwolf posted:

C3 and Negative decks are where she shines.

Big Mouth Billy Basshole
Jun 18, 2007

Fun Shoe

DrBouvenstein posted:

Man, this game needs some serious UI/UX improvements.

1) Let me have a way to see my discarded/destroyed cards. Sometimes you look away at JUST that exact instant a card goes bye-bye. Especially for Yondu where the card wasn't ever in your hand or field of play to notice first.

If you playing on desktop the untapped.gg overlay is nice. It shows which cards have been destroyed or discarded for you and your opponent.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna

The Sean posted:

I'm not seeing a world where this works with SheHulk. Especilly with the negative Electro synergy.

Kaddish
Feb 7, 2002

RevKrule posted:

C3 and Negative decks are where she shines.

Yeah, C3 with Valkrie and Bast. Can't wait to get Bast as I have Valkrie already.

The Sean
Apr 17, 2005

Am I handsome now?

Bottom Liner posted:

I'm not seeing a world where this works with SheHulk. Especilly with the negative Electro synergy.

I do understand your logic. Some scenarios: not drawing Electro; Jubilee as at 10 power she has more natural power than 80% of the rest of the deck (Dino could be more while ongoing, but that depends) and the two that are more powerful are tricky to play (Giganto, Infinaut); some locations like +6 power or automatically put a card down after turn 5.

And this was at the end of last season:

The Sean posted:

[Monday ~4pm]at the end of last week (Fri or SatI decided to try climbing again versus just using completely goofy decks for fun. I started at about 29 and am up to 66 as of this writing.

The Sean posted:

[Tuesday ~4pm]24hrs later and I got to 76. I feel like getting out of the 30s was the hardest part of the journey (so far).

The Sean posted:

[Wednesday]I'm at 91 now. I've only been playing since the full launch of the game; this is the highest I've achieved so far. I still feel like the 30s was the most difficult.

I hope I can hit infinite by the end of the day and return to goofy decks again.

The Sean posted:

Scorpion, Okoye, Electro, Jubilee, Spiderwoman, Black Panther, Devil Dino, Zola, Odin, Giganto, She-Hulk, Infinaut.
Only last night did I switch out She-Hulk for Shuri. I was already trying to swap her out for something else as she wasn't really useful very often. Not bad, but not great. I have basically been playing the same thing for most of the climb since last Friday but I will admit Shuri is very good when used appropriately.

He Hulk is a good option, too, but it worked out for me.

The Sean fucked around with this message at 18:49 on Feb 10, 2023

doingitwrong
Jul 27, 2013
Yeah, She Hulk is insurance against the fact that you have 3 cards you can play on the first 3 turns. She is a 3/10 on turn 4 in that situation.

RevKrule
Jul 9, 2001

The Sean posted:

I do understand your logic. Some scenarios: not drawing Electro; Jubilee as at 10 power she has more natural power than 80% of the rest of the deck (Dino could be more while ongoing, but that depends) and the two that are more powerful are tricky to play (Giganto, Infinaut); some locations like +6 power or automatically put a card down after turn 5.

I'd rather have Infinaut be dead weight in my hand than She-Hulk personally. At least w/Infinaut there's times where he gets pulled by Jubilee which is great power.

I feel like if I'm desperate to play She-Hulk in this deck, I should've just retreated.

FlyingCowOfDoom
Aug 1, 2003

let the beat drop

The Sean posted:

Cool deck for cool people

drat, I don't have Shuri, She Hulk or Electro but this looks fun gonna save it for later. Thank you for the writeup.

Kaddish
Feb 7, 2002
Yo this is a cube machine.

buffalo all day
Mar 13, 2019

this deck is badass, has taken me from 84-88 since you posted it, including a spicy one where i dropped zola on kamar-taj to move she-hulk+dino to the left and middle lane and take 8 cubes.

i don't have shuri so i'm running she-hulk. she's OK when i don't draw electro and the high-roll of when i can destroy electro and then pass 5 and drop her and infinaut (or another 6 drop) on 6 is pretty nice. but there could easily be another better option. I unpinned galactus and now am hoping for shuri in the shop because gently caress trying to climb without her.

Kaddish
Feb 7, 2002

buffalo all day posted:

this deck is badass, has taken me from 84-88 since you posted it, including a spicy one where i dropped zola on kamar-taj to move she-hulk+dino to the left and middle lane and take 8 cubes.

i don't have shuri so i'm running she-hulk. she's OK when i don't draw electro and the high-roll of when i can destroy electro and then pass 5 and drop her and infinaut (or another 6 drop) on 6 is pretty nice. but there could easily be another better option. I unpinned galactus and now am hoping for shuri in the shop because gently caress trying to climb without her.

I open-palm slammed my 3000 tokens for her after splurging 8000 gold for the otherwise subpar Negative bundle. No regerts.

buffalo all day
Mar 13, 2019

buffalo all day posted:

sean did you try running Doom in this deck? that's one i typically see in these ramp/odin decks that's not here. maybe that could replace she-hulk?

The Sean
Apr 17, 2005

Am I handsome now?

buffalo all day posted:

sean did you try running Doom in this deck? that's one i typically see in these ramp/odin decks that's not here. maybe that could replace she-hulk?

I did but I didn't like the variance. I might give it a try again but I like knowing exactly what I'm going to double and the bots got in the way.

New Leaf
Jul 24, 2013

Dragon Balls? Are they tasty?
"Hey you have a card that can be upgraded!"
"Cool, can you point me towards which one I can afford?"
"LOL no."

Toebone
Jul 1, 2002

Start remembering what you hear.

New Leaf posted:

"LOL no."

Sort > Upgradable

RevKrule
Jul 9, 2001

New Leaf posted:

"LOL no."

If you sort by "Upgradable" it will show you which ones you can afford.

Also, 4x Shuri'd Spiderwoman is big.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.
Kind of disappointed that all my friends who started off playing Snap stopped playing, mostly because they felt they can't build a competitive deck. Seems like this will be even more of an issue as it goes on.

Even still I really hate it when someone drops a couple cards on me that I don't have from pool 4/5 and just walk away with it, so I get it.

Fate Accomplice
Nov 30, 2006

I don’t like how your collection shows all your variants but if you edit a deck it only shows your favorite variants.

I have a deck in which I always keep my lowest quality cards and it’s extra clicks to set variants.

buffalo all day
Mar 13, 2019

The Sean posted:

I did but I didn't like the variance. I might give it a try again but I like knowing exactly what I'm going to double and the bots got in the way.

i figured it probably had something to do with zola. what an mvp card. i almost dont like dropping BP because it puts people's antennaes up for zola. but no one ever sees zola on dino coming. Just hit 90. god drat sean you a fool for this one

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

uXs
May 3, 2005

Mark it zero!
I hate how the collection screen always shows those stupid animations on the cards you can upgrade. Looks really janky.