Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

FISHMANPET posted:

Holy poo poo, I have owned myself so thoroughly, I shall now take my own life with this Hysperion sword.

Just say the mistake was due to an errant corn kernel on somebody's uniform. Boom, all is forgiven.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.

MikeJF posted:

Hey, it was playing in my local supermarket the other day for some reason.

Well, THAT would mess me up for a while.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

wesleywillis posted:

Would have been sweet if Picard had just left Wesley there to get the phaser firing squad or whatever though.

But I guess he wouldn't have been able to yell out SHUT UP WESLEY in that other episode maybe.
Unless that happened before.

It might've been a more interesting plot if the overly-harsh punishment was like a year or two in jail so it'd actually be feasible to actually leave him to his fate but still harsh and complicated for the Enterprise to deal with since they'd be so far away by then and Starfleet might not even be able to make a trip to pick him up.

But as is, it's well of course they're not gonna let Wesley die, although centering a boring plot about how everybody inherently cares for Wesley doesn't do anything to endear him to the audience.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Big Mean Jerk posted:

I get the intent behind the article but uhhhhhh that headline at first glance

https://twitter.com/startrek/status/1623788836085178370?s=46&t=0ENFB4SFOmWo9gVexTxEZg

not gonna lie i was scrolling fast and thought that was Tuvix

8one6
May 20, 2012

When in doubt, err on the side of Awesome!

skasion posted:

Oh yeah, this thing was a bitch to fight in Birth of the Federation iirc

I solved the problem with about 80 Birds of Prey.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

8one6 posted:

I solved the problem with about 80 Birds of Prey.

Cloaking was so powerful in that game, when I played the Romulans not even the Borg could stop me.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Once you have Defiants you can just build a bunch of them and wreck everything

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

Engadget is not mincing words.

https://www.engadget.com/star-trek-picard-season-three-paramount-plus-preview-review-080010650.html

quote:

And, in the six of ten episodes I’ve been permitted to watch under strict embargo, I’d say only one of them feels like the character we know and love.

Unfortunately, while we have the other TNG stars, the creative team of Executive Producer Alex Kurtzman and showrunner Terry Matalas didn’t bother to grab any of that show’s lightness of tone. Picard remains a grimdark slog, shot on perpetually underlit sets and featuring a succession of increasingly-bleak setpieces. The plot is stretched so thin that the first four episodes turn out to be little more than an extended prologue for the rest. A prologue that could, I should add, have been an efficient, and possibly more enjoyable, hour. The story is so obvious, too, that you’ll be ahead of the characters pretty much non-stop as they stumble from one idiot plot to the next.

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

8one6 posted:

80 Birds of Prey.

Imagine if El James had been into Trek instead of Twilight

E: or better yet don't imagine that

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

Sounds about like I expected.

Hey, Trek creators: the Enterprise/hero ship is Home. We need Home to return to to feel catharsis and normalcy. Exploding our house and running us through hell isn't gripping, it's just kinda stressful, and that's supposing the hell is at least interestingly-written.

And we know we're not getting a day off, there's not going to be a "fun" episode. "Stardust City Rag" is Picard's idea of fun and that opened with Icheb getting his eyeballs plucked out.

IShallRiseAgain
Sep 12, 2008

Well ain't that precious?

I'm not sure if the production had enough time to learn from Strange New Worlds, but you'd hope somebody at Paramount would realize that people don't actually want grim dark and pessimist Star Trek.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

IShallRiseAgain posted:

I'm not sure if the production had enough time to learn from Strange New Worlds, but you'd hope somebody at Paramount would realize that people don't actually want grim dark and pessimist Star Trek.
It isn't as if there's a shortage of the tone and theme. Some counterpoint or contrasting flavor is fine and great, but it's not a contrast if it's the main theme.

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

Nessus posted:

It isn't as if there's a shortage of the tone and theme. Some counterpoint or contrasting flavor is fine and great, but it's not a contrast if it's the main theme.

People always talk about how DS9 was so much darker and serious, but it still always had plenty of humor and light moments for characters to balance that. Like the epsiodes about dealing with War PTSD, or committing ethically horrible things for possibly a greater good, even just hit a lot harder when their between lighter topsides, and you know the shows made us care about the characters.

That a lot of writers feel that to make "serious" you just need to make everything always grim and miserable has lead to a lot of bad writers making a lot of bad media. You're not all Lars von Trier. Stop it!!!

jeeves
May 27, 2001

Deranged Psychopathic
Butler Extraordinaire
Lovin how people keep thinking it will change and going in for that football kick.

Nullsmack
Dec 7, 2001
Digital apocalypse
That sounds about what I expected. I've seen countless tweets trying to say they finally "got it" this season but I've been extremely skeptical of them.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
I 100% expect it to be garbage and to be laughing at these weirdos trying to say no it's not that bad this time.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.
I’m expecting it to be a huge dumpster fire, but I’m sure I’ll enjoy a small handful of the Geordi/Worf/Riker moments we get until one of them dies horribly just to show how SERIOUS STAKES the new villain is.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013
I will allow myself to be pleasantly surprised if they manage simple acts of basic competency, but Strange New Worlds, Lower Decks, and Prodigy set a very high bar for Picard to clear and getting to barely eye-level with it might be as high as it can go. I at least hope it's an entertaining trash fire like the Fast and Furious movies this time rather than a boring trash fire like Season 2 was.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

I will be looking for the two scenes where Stewart does some ACTING.

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"
Bring back Blunt Talk.

Mooseontheloose
May 13, 2003

FISHMANPET posted:

Just open hailing frequencies, it will only fire if fired upon.

also prevents the borg from invading that planet in game.

Tom Guycot
Oct 15, 2008

Chief of Governors

Big Mean Jerk posted:

I’m expecting it to be a huge dumpster fire, but I’m sure I’ll enjoy a small handful of the Geordi/Worf/Riker moments we get until one of them dies horribly just to show how SERIOUS STAKES the new villain is.

I hear the extended 20 minute scene of Geordi being vivisected while he cries for his mom is a really powerful and moving end for him as a character.

Tom Guycot
Oct 15, 2008

Chief of Governors

The spoilers are also coming out they actually got Colm Meaney to come back for a scene where Keiko shoots him in the head because she's gone space mad, before shooting herself.

Burning_Monk
Jan 11, 2005
Mad, Bad, and Dangerous to know

Tom Guycot posted:

The spoilers are also coming out they actually got Colm Meaney to come back for a scene where Keiko shoots him in the head because she's gone space mad, before shooting herself.

O'Brien lives of course... so does Keiko.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Tom Guycot posted:

At last, a happy ending for Miles O'Brien. The suffering is finally over.

CPColin
Sep 9, 2003

Big ol' smile.

Tom Guycot posted:

I hear the extended 20 minute scene of Geordi being vivisected while he cries for his mom is a really powerful and moving end for him as a character.

The villain says an out-of-place line that "it looks like the aye's have it" in reference tona deleted scene where Geordi's ocular implants are replaced with tiny antimatter charges

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"
Geordi’s liver has been replaced with Trilithium, and he explodes, taking out Worf, Crusher and Troi.

Riker’s face is severely burnt, and Picard has to hop into his dune buggy to chase down the antagonist while the Nickelodeon Guts theme plays in the style of Jerry Goldsmith.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Gonz posted:

Geordi’s liver has been replaced with Trilithium, and he explodes, taking out Worf, Crusher and Troi.

Riker’s face is severely burnt, and Picard has to hop into his dune buggy to chase down the antagonist while the Nickelodeon Guts theme plays in the style of Jerry Goldsmith.

Stop making this show sound good :mad:

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

dr_rat posted:

People always talk about how DS9 was so much darker and serious, but it still always had plenty of humor and light moments for characters to balance that. Like the epsiodes about dealing with War PTSD, or committing ethically horrible things for possibly a greater good, even just hit a lot harder when their between lighter topsides, and you know the shows made us care about the characters.

That a lot of writers feel that to make "serious" you just need to make everything always grim and miserable has lead to a lot of bad writers making a lot of bad media. You're not all Lars von Trier. Stop it!!!

They probably thought "Take me out to the holosuite" was bad and a waste of time.

Twincityhacker
Feb 18, 2011

I think the episode count has something to do with it - the new shows have half the episode count.

While I think Prodigy managed to have both a storyarc AND one-offs, no other new show really mixes the two.

Had DS9 been entirely storydriven, it would have been a much darker show.

Everyone
Sep 6, 2019

by sebmojo

Twincityhacker posted:

I think the episode count has something to do with it - the new shows have half the episode count.

While I think Prodigy managed to have both a storyarc AND one-offs, no other new show really mixes the two.

I think Lower Decks manages to do that pretty well after the first season.

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

When you have 10 episode season it becomes much harder to justify scripts like 'the local bar owner's brother forms a union' or 'telepathic horny old lady makes everyone else horny because of space flu' as well, the old 20-26 episode seasons were a blessing for really letting the writers get into the weeds and have some fun lower stakes digressions

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Twincityhacker posted:

Again, it is nothing short of loving ridonkulous how well Prodigy has nailed "every episode is part of an ongoing season-long story, yet has a complete narrative arc and resolution unto itself". That's the big reason why Picard is such a miserable slog, especially in Season 2; it's episodes just end because they've reached the 45 minute mark and they've called "time!" on them rather than arriving at a satisfying conclusion to any of the material they were exploring in that particular hour.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

jeeves posted:

Lovin how people keep thinking it will change and going in for that football kick.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Looking forward to them introducing Geordi’s kids and then watching the episode where they are both violently tortured to death

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

No Dignity posted:

When you have 10 episode season it becomes much harder to justify scripts like 'the local bar owner's brother forms a union' or 'telepathic horny old lady makes everyone else horny because of space flu' as well, the old 20-26 episode seasons were a blessing for really letting the writers get into the weeds and have some fun lower stakes digressions

That's what I really miss, the time-out episodes where they play with characters. It's those episodes where a show builds a sense of being a world with real people living in it, and then every so often you look at what Andrew Robinson does with this one-off foil you wrote and you bring him back for 1/5th of your episode run and the show is greater and richer for it.

Boxturret
Oct 3, 2013

Don't ask me about Sonic the Hedgehog diaper fetish
Prestige tv has rotted a lot of people's brains nowadays so if a show does manage to have a nice little self contained episode people immediately start screaming about filler:smith:

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

People really want ten hour movies with hourly intermissions I guess.

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Utility is seven-eighths Proximity.

I want more, cheaper-looking TV

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

Long seasons of stuff still exist, Paramount just needs to be reminded that Star Trek is closer to Supernatural than The Sopranos