Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

I'm not much of a Fates expert but Draconic Hex seems a lot better here than it was in Fates, primarily because of how many enemies and bosses have revival stones and so can't just be ORKO'd. Landing a Draconic Hex early on can help the rest of your units chew through their remaining HP and revival stones I imagine.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

I will never log offshut up.

I used dodgy units, Alear and Yunaka were my main dragon killer if I couldn't just dump an engage attack on them to wipe them out. And they're much worth burning engage attacks on because of how deadly they can be. Lyn clones are also great for helping get people in position to deal with them because they love to shoot the Lyn clones over any other target.

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!
Somebody call for an ant?

I just handed Chloe a forged killer Lance that brought her to mid-upper 70s crit rate and stapled erika to her.

For the wyrm's that aren't mysteriously lacking the dragon weakness you can also just delete them with Lynn's super dragon slayer bow. Either with alacrity++ or just by using her engage attack to delete them from half the map away.

E: who else took one loom at camilla's map, had flashbacks to fe 3-3 and then immediately had miciah rescue everyone over the box to your north initially?

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
The existence of dragon and corrupted dragon as different weaknesses annoys me.

Veryslightlymad
Jun 3, 2007

I fight with
my brain
and with an
underlying
hatred of the
Erebonian
Noble Faction

Zoran posted:

The math may be slightly more favorable for these skills on difficulties below Maddening.

Can confirm that running lineage on one character for about ten chapters can completely blow up your overall level curve.

Alear is something like 12(14?!)/18 compared to everyone else being about level 18/1 to 18/4. Before Edelgard, I was able to skirmish and keep my party even by dumping Alear. Lineage is a slow and insidious poison. (These figures represent my party slowly catching back up again)

As for wyrms, I kill Wyrms with Louis, who yes, takes full damage, but he has the HP to survive. Meanwhile Wyrms are one of the things he can double, and his engraved spear has about a 22% crit rate on them. It's Tea Time, motherfucker.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
So, brave weapons in this game seem really loving good in general.

Merrin continues her bloody rampage in my game when Engaged with Leif thanks to his brave lance. Doubly useful for her in particular since Merrin otherwise lacks access to any brave weapons unless you reclass her (or give her Sigurd, the other Emblem with a brave weapon).

Reik
Mar 8, 2004

Tired Moritz posted:

Omg your turn count tho

We want that number high right?

Veryslightlymad
Jun 3, 2007

I fight with
my brain
and with an
underlying
hatred of the
Erebonian
Noble Faction
It doesn't effect anything, so, realistically, you want meme numbers where possible, and most of those are high, yes.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Is there any benefit to Build +3 over Speed +3? They cost the same but it seems like Speed +3 is just better in every way, because it still offsets weapon weight by 3 but also applies when you're not weighed down.

Reik
Mar 8, 2004

Harrow posted:

Is there any benefit to Build +3 over Speed +3? They cost the same but it seems like Speed +3 is just better in every way, because it still offsets weapon weight by 3 but also applies when you're not weighed down.

Only benefit I can see is you have access to Build +3 much sooner.

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

ASK ME ABOUT KISSING A GHOST

Harrow posted:

Putting on Build allows you to envision the unit getting HUGE

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Reik posted:

Only benefit I can see is you have access to Build +3 much sooner.

Not that much sooner. You get Leif in Chapter 8 and Lyn in Chapter 11, so it's only a 3 chapter difference, and Speed +3 is at bond level 9 so you can get it before you do Lyn's paralogue.

Pureauthor posted:

Putting on Build allows you to envision the unit getting HUGE

Hmm, true...

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Wearer of Compasses. Slayer of Gods. Champion of the Colosseum. Heart of the Void.
Saviour of Hallownest.

Zoran posted:

Lineage and Mentorship suffer from the same problem that Nobility did in Fates and that Veteran did not have in Awakening: the EXP floor is too low for them to really help.

In general the +20% EXP bonuses amount to about one extra level’s worth of EXP (or about 50-100 SP) due to the way that EXP scales down when you get ahead of the level curve. It may pay off in SP terms if you’re getting experience primarily from support actions like healing or dancing, but not if you’re exclusively a combat unit.

Lineage can roughly break even just because it comes super early, it almost returns its own SP cost, and it does give you an extra level’s worth of experience. Mentorship is a worse deal that is probably only worthwhile on Seadall, since he has a bona fide level target to rush to.

The math may be slightly more favorable for these skills on difficulties below Maddening.

I think they still retain very high value on Maddening. The main power of Lineage and Mentorship is that they allow for larger roster breadth. You can support a full two or three extra characters that you otherwise wouldn't be able to. This is important for roster flexibility and if you're on random growths, being better able to insure against poor growth results. (Even if you're not on random growths, it also functionally allows you to evaluate more characters in the context of your overall strategy)

Harrow posted:

Ah y'know that does make sense. An extra level's worth of stats isn't the worst thing in the world but it's also probably not worth going out of my way for.

How big is the EXP penalty on maddening, anyway?

It's not that bad.

I can't be perfectly sure but I tracked my internal levels, went into the Soren paralogue and killed the first guy

Yunaka Internal level 41 (+1) - 13 EXP
Panette Internal level 40 (+0) - 15 EXP
Rosado Internal level 39 (-1) - 20 EXP
Ivy Internal level 38 (-2) - 24 EXP.

Mentorship + Lineage at 1.4*experience would give Yunaka about 18 EXP per kill. Translates to about 1.5 levels or so.

Lineage alone would give her 15 EXP per kill which is about a level.

At 150 assuming your characters are all at curve lineage will essentially cost 50 SP to put you permanently at 1 level ahead of where you should be. Mentorship will cost you 200 SP to add another 0.5.

This is all kinda napkin-ish so if someone has better data then go for it.

And obviously this gets better with roster breath, the more characters you field, the lower your overall internal level so the higher the value lineage and Mentorship will represent.

Veryslightlymad
Jun 3, 2007

I fight with
my brain
and with an
underlying
hatred of the
Erebonian
Noble Faction
Can also confirm that final assertion. Jeepers what a poo poo show.

On the plus side, hey, the story missions haven't thwarted me yet, unbelievers.

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon

Terper posted:

I haven't had the opportunity to do it yet myself, but apparently they can Break with Fracture staves. I'm on Hard, so I just have Framme punch them down!

same but I also gave her alacrity so she never has to worry about counterattacks

jimmydalad
Sep 26, 2013

My face when others are unable to appreciate the :kazooieass:

AGDQ 2018 Awful Block Survivor
Rosado and Merrin’s supports are so stupid I can’t help but love it. Just two big idiots :allears:.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

I saw a Citrinne strat on Reddit that I'd love to discuss because it seems like a blast.

So, the thing about Citrinne is that she's pretty much Magic Louis: she hits hard and has great magical bulk, but is so slow she'll probably never double anything, and on Maddening she'll probably be doubled by most enemies past the midgame. Players respond to this in a few different ways. You could just bench her, which is what some people advocate. You could try to patch up her Speed with Speedwings or Lyn, but others could probably use that better. Or you could just accept that she's slow as molasses, forge the hell out of a Thunder tome with a super heavy + high damage engrave, and go Dire Thunder, but people will often point out Ivy's going to outclass her at that role within a few chapters.

Or, and this is what the post I saw suggested, you could do the one thing Citrinne can do better than anyone else: do her best Ophelia impression.

Dire Thunder gets all the S-rank ring attention, but there's another Thunder-related ring skill: Great Thunder, from S-rank Mae. This increases damage from Thunder, Elthunder, and Thoron tomes by 20%. If you plan ahead, you can have enough resources to forge Citrinne's starting Thunder tome all the way up to Thoron right away, which gives her an 18 might tome with 1-3 range, with +20% damage from her ring. You can also slap a heavy engraving on it, like Leif's, for more might and +20 hit. Then you inherit Vantage on her (she comes with enough SP for this) and if you can swing it, Hit +10 before Chapter 10. Then you promote her to Sage with one of your early Master Seals for even more Magic.

You now have a one-shotting magical Vantage tank, with enough range to counterattack Longbow archers, who enemies always see a sure kill on and will always target because they don't take Vantage into account (though this can be hosed up if you have someone in range who can be broken and killed in one round, so be careful). This can all be set up by Chapter 9. Later on if you can shore up her hit rates you can switch to Ike's engraving, maybe even inherit Wrath if she's accurate enough, though most likely you'll want a Hit +15 or more skill on her eventually since Thoron isn't exactly an accurate tome.

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Wearer of Compasses. Slayer of Gods. Champion of the Colosseum. Heart of the Void.
Saviour of Hallownest.
Instincts said that this wouldn't work on Maddening but fortunately I have a chapter 10 save so I could check.

Citrinne has around 21 Mag promoted at chapter 10.

Add on 18 MT, 40 (give or take) * Great Thunder 1.2 = 48

Enemy fliers have 14 Res and 32 Health.

So yeah that's a pretty clean kill at 34 damage to 32 health.

Rosado would kill the gently caress out of her as would Hortensia and any of the boss enemies, but a good EP street sweeper.

Confused about why someone would suggest that Ivy is a better Dire Thunder user than Citrinne though.

Lindwurm has a 25 Mag growth to Sage's 30 and Ivy has a 30 Mag growth to Citrinne's 40. On Maddening Citrinne is going to hit significantly harder by the end.

You trade movement for that but to me it's a better than even trade since the Maddening DT kill thresholds are intense.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Yeah the post I found this in mentioned it specifically for Maddening so that's why I was curious to try it there.

I think people say Ivy's better just because of her significantly better bulk and her ability to fly, but neither of those things are super important for a Dire Thunder nuker so I dunno. I think people get caught up on Citrinne's low speed and tissue paper survivability, which is fair, but there are ways to use her where neither of those things matter (and by totally disregarding them you can really supercharge her strengths).

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
I'm not on Maddening, but yeah my experience is that Citrinne is just as strong as Ivy in most respects. No joke, I typically find Citrinne doing as much or more damage with one attack than Ivy does with two. Citrinne is also one of the best RES tanks on my crew, where Ivy tends to take big hits from magic.

I've split the difference by putting Lucina on Ivy for max dual strike shenanigans with thunder tomes, while I plan to put Celica on Citrinne.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Yeah on hard mode Citrinne was one of my mainstays. She hit extremely hard and had tons of Res which was plenty to make her useful the whole way through. I used Byleth on her a lot so she could get that Thyrsus range and I could pretend Lysithea was back.

And yeah seconding putting Lucina on Ivy. Flying 3-range chain attacks are great

Khizan
Jul 30, 2013

Harrow posted:

Yeah the post I found this in mentioned it specifically for Maddening so that's why I was curious to try it there.

I think people say Ivy's better just because of her significantly better bulk and her ability to fly, but neither of those things are super important for a Dire Thunder nuker so I dunno. I think people get caught up on Citrinne's low speed and tissue paper survivability, which is fair, but there are ways to use her where neither of those things matter (and by totally disregarding them you can really supercharge her strengths).

I just gave Citrinne canter, so I can pop somebody with dire thunder and then retreat to safety. This solved the vast majority of my problems with her fragility. Just shoot and scoot.

posadas
Jan 28, 2021
How does one hit the 25% HP threshold for vantage to kick in without using great sacrifice?

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

Who should I spend my Stat up items on? Just dump them all into Jean or spread them out?

FrickenMoron
May 6, 2009

Good game!
I reclassed Anna into a bow knight and she has 50 MATK with the radiant bow +3, despite losing 8 mag from high priest, what the gently caress. Also Levin sword for the 1-2 flexibility.

GreenBuckanneer posted:

Who should I spend my Stat up items on? Just dump them all into Jean or spread them out?

Whoever your fave is that you want to use all game.

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

Idk who my fave is yet, I just started chp 7

I hear Anna is in the game so probably her, I liked merchant lady in previous games

Man I wish they'd re-release awakening for the switch

Zoran
Aug 19, 2008

I lost to you once, monster. I shall not lose again! Die now, that our future can live!

Natural 20 posted:

Instincts said that this wouldn't work on Maddening but fortunately I have a chapter 10 save so I could check.

Citrinne has around 21 Mag promoted at chapter 10.

Add on 18 MT, 40 (give or take) * Great Thunder 1.2 = 48

Enemy fliers have 14 Res and 32 Health.

So yeah that's a pretty clean kill at 34 damage to 32 health.

Great Thunder and Raging Fire work by multiplying your final damage by 1.2 (rounded down), so they essentially multiply not only your own magical attack power but also the enemy res by 1.2.

It is feasible to reach one-shot kill thresholds with Thoron + Great Thunder, but it takes a bit more help than what you have here.

Great Thunder and Raging Fire are better than the magical Emblems if you’re trying to hit those thresholds, but if you’re doubling things with Elfire/Bolganone and you’re shooting for two-shot kill thresholds, Raging Fire will tend to be a little worse than the two best magical Emblems in vanilla (Celica and Ephraim).

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Anna is insanely good in this one btw, just make sure you reclass her to Mage Knight or High Priest after she promotes. She starts as an Axe Fighter but she has a natural 50% Mag growth, the highest in the game, and will make an incredible mage. (High Priest is popular for her because it helps her Luck growth and makes her get you more money.)

She won't need your stat boosters, probably, her growths are nuts in a magic class.

Personally I'd spread out your boosters a bit to shore up units who have a minor weakness in something, or just need a little push to get over the top. For example, I think using a Talisman on Louis is probably a waste because +2 Res on him means he still gets blown up by mages, just, like, he'll just regular die instead of being overkilled horribly. But a Talisman on someone with okay Res might take them from hesitating to take a hit from a mage to being fine with it.

Seraph Robes are kind of another story and I tend to give those to units with low enough HP that I worry about them, because I know no matter how hard I try, my squishy units are going to get hit sometimes, and +5 HP is nothing to sneeze at.

Zoran posted:

Great Thunder and Raging Fire work by multiplying your final damage by 1.2 (rounded down), so they essentially multiply not only your own magical attack power but also the enemy res by 1.2.

Oh that's weird. That throws a pretty big wrench into the whole setup I think. The idea of feeding Citrinne of all people some Spirit Dusts or something so she keeps up with rapidly escalating 1HKO thresholds isn't all that appealing. Though I guess I could use the Vantage Thoron setup until it stops working and then just transition to Dire Thunder.

Harrow fucked around with this message at 20:43 on Feb 10, 2023

FrickenMoron
May 6, 2009

Good game!
Ivy is a good candidate for Goddess icons for example, or Fogado. Also drat bow knight has an insanely low cap of 24 mag... Maybe I should just make Anna a mage knight and forge some tomes for more MT, it feels a waste to have her cap out so early.

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!
Somebody call for an ant?

So in exchange for already flying Camilla gives fliers an extra point of move on top of her normal 2. Now the question is who has a need for speed?

FrickenMoron
May 6, 2009

Good game!
hosed up that we can't turn Lyndon into a Lynd-worm.

ROFL Octopus
Jun 20, 2014

LET ME EXPLAIN

FoolyCharged posted:

So in exchange for already flying Camilla gives fliers an extra point of move on top of her normal 2. Now the question is who has a need for speed?

It gives Cavalry +2 move in addition to making them fly, best application is Mage Knight

Of course I gave Camilla to Seadall cause flying Dancer is too good to pass up

WrightOfWay
Jul 24, 2010

posadas posted:

How does one hit the 25% HP threshold for vantage to kick in without using great sacrifice?

Yeah, that seems like a major problem. She can take a hit in her first few maps but once enemies start promoting she starts getting into OHKO territory even with a robe.

Miftan
Mar 31, 2012

Terry knows what he can do with his bloody chocolate orange...

I guess Citrine has a slightly higher magic stat for that gimmick but Pandreo beats her out in every other way, basically. Give him one MAG stat booster and he's caught up and can do the Thunder trick better.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Higher ranks of Vantage work with higher % hp thresholds

jimmydalad
Sep 26, 2013

My face when others are unable to appreciate the :kazooieass:

AGDQ 2018 Awful Block Survivor
I got Canter on all my units and I can’t imagine being without it. The flexibility it gives is so good and it’s not a steep SP cost.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled

Andrast posted:

Higher ranks of Vantage work with higher % hp thresholds

Vantage++ maxes at 75% hp, which still requires you to engineer Citrinne getting hit without being vaporized.

I guess you could dragon vein some fire for Citrinne to run into on turn 1 or something.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Takes up a slot though.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

True but if we’re talking about making a Vantage tank, using a slot for Vantage+ is baked in, especially if they need their ring slot for something else like Great Thunder or Ike for Wrath.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

Grimey Drawer
I was talking about universal canter.